Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Bambu studio also integrates features from Orca, so the feature comparisons change relatively often and the difference may not always be that big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orca has fixes to things that cause print issues in Bambi Slicer and extra features like organic tree supports and more built-in calibration tools. Right now it’s behind Bambu in features since they just released a major new version.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think already Bambu integrated at least some of the Orca calibration tools already? Could wrong of course.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've been printing a ton of stuff on my P1P for the holidays.

I love this thing, and the AMS has been a game-changer.

Wet Bulb Drip
Jul 27, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I have a P1S and I'm not finding the AMS too useful because I'm not printing multi-material prints.
Is there any way to control the AMS without the printer having active internet access? It doesn't seem like there is.

Does anyone have an opinion on what caused this stringing on PLA plus?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
You should be able to do everything in LAN mode I believe.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

NomNomNom posted:

Wanted to share this print: https://makerworld.com/en/models/93385#profileId-99778

I'm halfway through printing the parts. Just in awe of the design work that went into this one, the tolerances on everything are simply perfect for easy assembly.

I finally finished printing the last couple parts for this (after wedging a couple of the planetary gear assemblies in backwards because I wasn't paying attention) and with a little bit of silicone grease it works great

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 20, 2023

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

I'm noticing there's some ghosting where there's a hole or another part. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Printed on an Bambu X1 Carbon.

Boner Wad fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 20, 2023

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

mattfl posted:

This is the top hat riser I printed for mine that gives me quite a bit more Z height

https://www.printables.com/model/594894-voron-24-trident-canopy-top-hat-remix-split-model-/comments/1228580

Just following up with this. The remix corner parts were nice, but did the original center section guy REALLY design it with the back not flat? I supported the voron logo, but i only see after the fact the bottom is one huge bridge. SO annoying

Worked out you wont see that side, but man fix your models

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Roundboy posted:

Just following up with this. The remix corner parts were nice, but did the original center section guy REALLY design it with the back not flat? I supported the voron logo, but i only see after the fact the bottom is one huge bridge. SO annoying

lol that sucks, didn't even notice that in the remix because

Differences of the remix compared to the original
Split Corner model, added hidden M3 bolt & heat insert holes to attach parts. Also flattened the back of corner & 350 centre parts so they can be printed laying down halving print time & only requiring 5g of supports per corner!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Boner Wad posted:

I'm noticing there's some ghosting where there's a hole or another part. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Printed on an Bambu X1 Carbon.

maybe re-run a self calibration or turn speed down a little bit (or maybe temps up a tiny bit). I'm also printing things with a bunch of holes to piss people who are getting gift cards (albeit less than you) and I noticed no ghosting with PLA+

(I'm doing this one)
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/the-annoying-gift-box-thinair3d

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hm, does anyone know why travel time is longer (in OrcaSlicer) when you have individual models, compared to assembled ones? Better pathing?
I've been curious if there was anything to do about optimizing travel time when printing multiple smaller objects, if there's any gain worth getting there.
And when testing, I noticed that having the exact same 17 objects in the same place, travel time dropped by 10% after I assembled them together.

That's only 4 minutes on this print, and kinda irrelevant compared to the 6h print time, but I have had prints with 2+ hours of travel time, but even then I guess it only amounts to 1-2% of the print time.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

mattfl posted:

lol that sucks, didn't even notice that in the remix because

Differences of the remix compared to the original
Split Corner model, added hidden M3 bolt & heat insert holes to attach parts. Also flattened the back of corner & 350 centre parts so they can be printed laying down halving print time & only requiring 5g of supports per corner!

yeah i remember seeing that too. oh well, it works and the ugly is in the back, onto my idlers ...

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
I printed a mini on my P1S with the default nozzle. Holy crap it came out so good. Not perfect, but I am shocked at the quality!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

NomNomNom posted:

Wanted to share this print: https://makerworld.com/en/models/93385#profileId-99778

I'm halfway through printing the parts. Just in awe of the design work that went into this one, the tolerances on everything are simply perfect for easy assembly.

Got the gearbox put together for this. A few times disassembling and reassembling finally got everything to mesh just right. Getting a planetary set like that to be this smooth is pretty wild.

Now just printing the rotor and it will be time to get yelled at by the spouse :D

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Roundboy posted:

I can not accurately express the number of times I've run into this. Especially with remixes. "well i'm editing someone else's project, this should be fine." No.. it's not.

People in 3d printing are fraking idiots. The amount of files that can't be printed without acres of supports, awkward print directions, or prayers is far to high.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nerobro posted:

I can not accurately express the number of times I've run into this. Especially with remixes. "well i'm editing someone else's project, this should be fine." No.. it's not.

People in 3d printing are fraking idiots. The amount of files that can't be printed without acres of supports, awkward print directions, or prayers is far to high.

Ten thousand times I +1 this. My minimum level of acceptability is a STEP file, and if I can find something with an actual CAD file, I will choose that over any STL file I find on these godforsaken websites.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
i would have probably lowered it .2mm or something but i wonder if that would have caused alignment issues with the other parts. I have usable, but ugly (on one side) parts.

And i checked the comments, nobody mentioned it to them. In fact, I am going to right now

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Protip for anyone trying to convert a logo to an stl:

https://i.imgur.com/NXpJYpI.mp4

Microsoft 3D Builder is actually pretty great!

I had trouble with my png until I recolored it from black to purple, but then the stl that came out was basically perfect

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I have an idea for a Christmas present that will require a lot of small printed coins, each with a different letter embossed on top (not A-Z; there will be some duplicates and some not used).

I haven't been able to find any pre-modeled designs that fit the bill, so I'm looking at doing it myself. I created a couple manually in Tinkercad, but it's slow and ugly and is going to take forever. Is there a better way to do this?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MS 3D Builder can also do embossing from what I read

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
PrusaSlicer lets you emboss SVGs and text on models pretty easily, and if you print from a different slicer you can export the STL/3DF

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s converting something to an SVG that can really suck if you’re not using text. The online converters gave me really poor results. I was pretty happy to find out about 3D Builder because it skips that step.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Inkscape, a free vector graphics editor, is not that hard to use if you're just tracing a single color outline, as your image would have to be for embossing anyway.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sagebrush posted:

Inkscape, a free vector graphics editor, is not that hard to use if you're just tracing a single color outline, as your image would have to be for embossing anyway.

This is what I do.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Speaking of giftboxes, the wife is gonna kill me when I give her this

https://imgur.com/a/N6M09o1

116 screws total.

At least the prize in the middle is some nice jewelry lol

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
116 screws just to be a note telling them to look behind the tree would be way more fun as a spectator though ...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Is there a name for the little wispy hairs that sometimes appear on prints?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Spent enough time playing with the new P1S that I got the fun stuff out of my system finally.

Put in the 0.6mm extruder that'll probably live in there forever and started using it to print my occasional Etsy order. My usual 66 gram print that took slightly less than 4 hours (in PETG on a Mk3S+) takes 1 hour in the P1S. It's fast enough that I can get an order at noon, print it, hop on my bike and drop it off at the post office in an hour and a half. That's ridiculous.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kid sinister posted:

Is there a name for the little wispy hairs that sometimes appear on prints?

That is generally called stringing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

That is generally called stringing.

Thanks. They're generally easy enough to clear away when finished. It's not a sign of some deeper problem, is it? Or are they just annoying?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ideally it shouldn't happen, but some polymers (PETG especially) are more prone to stringing than others, and a small amount is usually not an indication that anything is wrong.

If you see a ton of stringing, that generally means (in order of likeliness) your hotend is too hot, the plastic has absorbed moisture, or your retraction settings are poorly calibrated. Try dropping down 5 or 10 degrees or drying the filament.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hypnolobster posted:

Spent enough time playing with the new P1S that I got the fun stuff out of my system finally.

Put in the 0.6mm extruder that'll probably live in there forever and started using it to print my occasional Etsy order. My usual 66 gram print that took slightly less than 4 hours (in PETG on a Mk3S+) takes 1 hour in the P1S. It's fast enough that I can get an order at noon, print it, hop on my bike and drop it off at the post office in an hour and a half. That's ridiculous.

Did you keep the layer height the same? Any noticeable quality difference? I have one on the way for my a1 too.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Thanks. They're generally easy enough to clear away when finished. It's not a sign of some deeper problem, is it? Or are they just annoying?

It can be a symptom of indicator of a couple things, but if its just a couple occasional wisps, then it's just 'sometimes my nozzle is a bit leaky.'.
If it starts looking like spiderwebs, then you might have an issue you need to calibrate out.

Share a pic, but if you're calling it wisps, I imagine it's not a huge issue.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Google Butt posted:

Did you keep the layer height the same? Any noticeable quality difference? I have one on the way for my a1 too.

Yeah, same basic print profile. 0.3 layers, 10 walls, 5 top/bottom, 100% infill. Quality is actually significantly better. Seams are more noticeable, but I'm going to play with some settings in Orca that might reduce it. This is without doing any flow calibration either, so the quality is likely to improve a bit more regardless.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
i have had AMAZING luck taking almost any image (b&w is best) even from the google images thumbnail.

Putting it through remove.bg to process it.

then taking THAT and going through vectorize.ai

I drop it into fusion 360 and hardly ever have to do anything with it. I have many things i translated directly to 3d with this process and printed, i love it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kid sinister posted:

I've been known to hit 'em real fast with a hair dryer. They shrivel right up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cousin's kids are getting some cool dragons for Christmas. I don't know if they'll like them but I like them, so that's what they get.

I wish I had a thematically appropriate container but I don't think I have time to print three of the big dragon eggs over the weekend unless I press all my printers into service and I'm not sure about the maker select.

These are the print in place Gemstone Dragon from Cinderwing, the model is like $4.

Used this filament, it works pretty well with the usual caveat about silk PLA. I had the best results at 220C with 60C on the bed. At 50C on the bed I had some sections get loose so I ended up losing one print to that at like 85% through, and one print to a power outage. The filament isn't as bright as some of the multicolor ones and each roll seems to have about the same color mix which is not what the picture of the rolls shows on amazon, but I printed some from each roll to start on different colors.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 22, 2023

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Are there even any other dragon modelers out there? Cinderwing seems to have cornered the market (for good reason!)

I am also giving a few Cinderwing dragons as gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Are there even any other dragon modelers out there? Cinderwing seems to have cornered the market (for good reason!)

I am also giving a few Cinderwing dragons as gifts.

There's a few similar models out there that are different, I just went with Cinderwing because they're nice looking. I almost made this one instead, though:
https://www.printables.com/model/331094-articulated-christmas-dragon

This one's similar:
https://www.printables.com/en/model/270339-articulated-spirit-dragon-fixed-rugged-blunted-alt