Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Considering "2068 A.D.," I feel very sure that "machine thinking" doesn't just refer to bureaucracy, but to the surveillance state.

https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/1451608254279143424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I mean it won't be "turn of the century" exactly but there's still time for the conservative wacko revolt against the woke mind virus

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Jewmanji posted:

I think the Butlerian Jihad is really just supposed to evoke the luddites. I don’t think it’s more complicated than that. Where most SF is about how humans and technology will evolve together, Dune is about how humans would evolve in the absence of that tech, instead just relying on their meat bodies and finding ways to expand human capability that way (which feeds thematically into his interest in psychedelics). I don’t think he was being purposefully vague about the particulars of the Butlerian Jihad, I think he just had faith that people would be able to extract meaning from it based on their knowledge of the Luddites and that was all that was required.

Yes, all this stuff about "machine thinking" is overreading the Jihad and its significance to the text. I remind y'all, "machine thinking" is not a phrase that appears in any of the novels. Leto II says a few things that are similar when he's criticizing the Ixians and dismissing them as a threat in God Emperor, but it's not some overarching theme throughout the series.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The luddites had a point

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Arglebargle III posted:

The luddites had a point

Yes they did. Capital absolutely was using machines to push out more expensive skilled labor, and to drive unskilled labor to death in the name of the greatest amount of profits at the least cost. That is a totally valid point.

Where they hosed up was destroying machines and not capitalists.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Yes, all this stuff about "machine thinking" is overreading the Jihad and its significance to the text. I remind y'all, "machine thinking" is not a phrase that appears in any of the novels. Leto II says a few things that are similar when he's criticizing the Ixians and dismissing them as a threat in God Emperor, but it's not some overarching theme throughout the series.

"Machine thinking" might not appear in those words, but the glossary does specifically refer to "computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots". My point (which I think we agree on) is that some people infer from that language that there was a Skynet/Matrix situation pitting humans against machines in a battle for survival, rather than the more mundane economic and human rights-related concerns of the luddite movement.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

"Machine thinking" might not appear in those words, but the glossary does specifically refer to "computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots". My point (which I think we agree on) is that some people infer from that language that there was a Skynet/Matrix situation pitting humans against machines in a battle for survival, rather than the more mundane economic and human rights-related concerns of the luddite movement.

Yeah, the only place where we disagree is that I don't think it's an inference to read "computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots" and think humanity fought a war against actual beep-boop robots who were trying to kill people for whatever reason. I think that's just a plain reading of the text. I also think it's a plain reading of the text to understand that the Butlerian Jihad was a social movement that remade the power structures of society akin to what the Luddites were trying to achieve.

My issue with the "machine thinking" idea is that it takes what is a backstory element meant to answer the question, "hey, but why don't they have robots and computers in this SF setting?" and turns it into a cypher by which people interpret the entire series and leads them away from plain readings of the text like that time a poster suggested the hunter-killer bots in Siona's vision could be Leto II's sled instead or how many people just ignore that quote from the glossary.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, the only place where we disagree is that I don't think it's an inference to read "computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots" and think humanity fought a war against actual beep-boop robots who were trying to kill people for whatever reason. I think that's just a plain reading of the text. I also think it's a plain reading of the text to understand that the Butlerian Jihad was a social movement that remade the power structures of society akin to what the Luddites were trying to achieve.

My issue with the "machine thinking" idea is that it takes what is a backstory element meant to answer the question, "hey, but why don't they have robots and computers in this SF setting?" and turns it into a cypher by which people interpret the entire series and leads them away from plain readings of the text like that time a poster suggested the hunter-killer bots in Siona's vision could be Leto II's sled instead or how many people just ignore that quote from the glossary.
I can't remember where, but I think there's something in the later books which strongly suggests if not outright spells out that it was humans, possibly humans who'd done the cyborg thing, who were in charge of the robots doing the killing.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I can't remember where, but I think there's something in the later books which strongly suggests if not outright spells out that it was humans, possibly humans who'd done the cyborg thing, who were in charge of the robots doing the killing.

A motif throughout God Emperor is the fear that the Ixians (who are definitely humans who do the cyborg thing) will create killing machines, either the precursors to or the very machines that Siona sees in her vision. And I can't recall where, but there are some explicit lines about humans creating machines to control other humans.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

A motif throughout God Emperor is the fear that the Ixians (who are definitely humans who do the cyborg thing) will create killing machines, either the precursors to or the very machines that Siona sees in her vision. And I can't recall where, but there are some explicit lines about humans creating machines to control other humans.
Yeah, Frank wasn't being subtle - which I think is partly because of how many people missed a lot of the points he was trying to get at with the original trilogy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

"I do not understand your reference to the Butlerian Jihad, Lord, Machines that think have no place in.. ."

"The target of the Jihad was a machine-attitude as much as the machines," Leto said. "Humans had set those machines to usurp our sense of beauty, our necessary selfdom out of which we make living judgments. Naturally, the machines were destroyed."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, I think there's also another line somewhere that's explicitly about enslaving humans with or by machines. Maybe it's from one of the introductions to the Lynch film.

E:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah, Frank wasn't being subtle - which I think is partly because of how many people missed a lot of the points he was trying to get at with the original trilogy.

I don't think God Emperor is often brutal and unsubtle because Frank lost faith in his audience. I think that's a reflection of Leto II's exercise of power compared to the scheming and politicking in the previous novels.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 16, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, the threat isn't necessarily Skynet, it's the machines doing exactly what they're supposed to do under the control of the people they were made for. In the age of drone warfare, it's aged all too well.

Of course, as I said, it didn't really work; one of the big themes is the whole feudal power structure basically turning people into machines, with a single purpose and expected output. Also interesting that CHOAM suggests the galactic imperium started out as a megacorporate conglomerate that dropped the pretence and went outright feudal.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MikeJF posted:

The evolved hunter-killer drones aren't the threat being avoided by the Golden Path, they're a threat being avoided by it. The true threat was that humanity would stagnate in one place until something eventually came along that could wipe it out. The hunter-killers were just one example in one possible future, one that was averted even before Leto II completed the actions needed to put humanity on the Golden Path.

“The hunter killer machines are not the issue here, dude!”
(Walter Sobchak face on Leto-worm)

But yes, this is the point that the son didn’t get, it sounds like.
The issue was humanity losing its most critical trait for survival: infinite capacity for adaptability, but it requires external pressures.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, kinda the whole point of the Golden Path is to give humanity the 'smoke the whole pack' treatment of authoritarianism and monoculture so they spread all over the universe beyond any one power's ability to control. Also the big theme of how prescience is existentially terrifying on many levels.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the Golden Path is to give humanity the 'smoke the whole pack' treatment of authoritarianism and monoculture

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah. Dune and Messiah are one thing and then the other books are... a whole different thing. Herbert had changed his views on a lot of things, had a lot of less successful books, then came back and injected his new ideas (plus a bunch of influence from Jodorowsky's production) into his one successful property.

I kind of prefer to disregard those later books and am glad Villeneuve is doing the same.

I don't really know where this is coming from.

quote:

Muad'Dib could, indeed, see the Future, but you must understand the limits of this power. Think of sight. You have eyes, yet cannot see without light. If you are on the floor of a valley, you cannot see beyond your valley. Just so, Muad'dib could not always choose to look across the mysterious terrain. He tells us that a single obscure decision of prophecy, perhaps the choice of one word over another, could change the entire aspect of the future. He tell us "The vision of time is broad, but when you pass through it, time becomes a narrow door." And always, he fought the temptation to choose a clear, safe course, warning "That path leads ever down into stagnation." - From "Arrakis Awakening" by the Princess Irulan

Frank seems pretty clearly to be laying the groundwork for Leto II here.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the threat isn't necessarily Skynet, it's the machines doing exactly what they're supposed to do under the control of the people they were made for. In the age of drone warfare, it's aged all too well.

Of course, as I said, it didn't really work; one of the big themes is the whole feudal power structure basically turning people into machines, with a single purpose and expected output. Also interesting that CHOAM suggests the galactic imperium started out as a megacorporate conglomerate that dropped the pretence and went outright feudal.

Ultimately the threat of the machines is them working without any human input whatsoever and just replacing and/or wiping out humanity. That's what Siona sees.

I don't think that is one of the big themes of the entire series. We don't see proletariats and commoners reduced to automatons across the first three novels. We don't see much of them at all really. We see the powerful become superhumans who are ever more distant from and capable than the common people.

I do think it becomes a major theme in God Emperor under Leto II's 3500-year. We see him systemically limit and destroy agency and autonomy. We see it in the pilgrimages and festivals that schedule people's lives for them. We see it especially in the sad Museum Fremen who life LARP a culture that hasn't existed for millennia. Leto II basically turns people into machines, even the superpowered who once lorded over the old imperium are reduced to cogs in his giant scheme.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, kinda the whole point of the Golden Path is to give humanity the 'smoke the whole pack' treatment of authoritarianism and monoculture so they spread all over the universe beyond any one power's ability to control. Also the big theme of how prescience is existentially terrifying on many levels.

Yeah, there are basically two parts to the Golden Path. Both of them are essentially Leto II doing space eugenics on the entirety of humanity. The first is creating a sort of genetic memory and hatred of tyranny and being sedentary that humanity will never again fall under the sway of a single leader in a single place. The second is creating the Siona gene that will ensure nothing can ever track down and eliminate the whole of humanity.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

AlternateAccount posted:

“The hunter killer machines are not the issue here, dude!”
(Walter Sobchak face on Leto-worm)

That Duncan really tied the room together.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://comicbookmovie.com/sci_fi/dune/dune-messiah-has-reportedly-been-greenlit-and-timothe-chalamet-is-already-sharing-spoilers-a208430

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I were him, I'd just lie outrageously about everything. Jason Momoa is coming back, to play Bijaz.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Bigjaz

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he could just scoot around on his knees. like Yogurt in Spaceballs.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, kinda the whole point of the Golden Path is to give humanity the 'smoke the whole pack' treatment of authoritarianism and monoculturel

lmao

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So, David Lynch's half-finished script for Dune Messiah was found and it sounds pretty Lynch.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

feedmyleg posted:

So, David Lynch's half-finished script for Dune Messiah was found and it sounds pretty Lynch.

Someone I follow on social media pointed out that the script was catalogued online in the archives' catalog as "Dune Messiah" and "Dune Messiah, Script Revisions", which really goes to show how these things are generally not "found", people just rarely look at what's already publicly available.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

https://x.com/dunemovie/status/1749114731791835635?s=46

New Dunc2 featurette, too bad is on Twitter only?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Missing a world of director commentary and behind the scenes with even minimal production quality.

Thanks streaming services!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

M_Gargantua posted:

Missing a world of director commentary and behind the scenes with even minimal production quality.

Thanks streaming services!

Dune doesn't have a commentary track, but the behind the scenes stuff is decent and probably a little over an hour's worth all together.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Need my Three Worms Moon t-shirt NOW

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/culturecrave/status/1750673046732705829?s=46

“What’s in the bucket?”
“Pain.”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The Glory Hulud

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
“Many men have tried”

“Tried and failed?”

“Tried and died”

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

If the internet has taught us anything, there is some beautiful weirdo for every possible kink and peccadillo.

Somewhere, out there, are some people whose wildest dreams came true today.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I will face my treats. I will permit them to pass over me and through me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know if it's happening everywhere but there's some early IMAX screenings opened up on Feb 25, just snapped one up.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
None near me... The rest of the tix go on sale supposedly within the next 5-15 mins.

Edit: Or not? I see the early shows in 3 states that I am not near... Rest are still embargo'd I guess. Ploo.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 26, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
All general seats went on sale. gogogo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Do other people live near IMAX theaters that let you reserve specific seats? I can never go see these movies in IMAX for the first month or so because there's always going to be 100 people willing to show up 2 hours before showtime, which I can't do in my old age.