Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

dwarf74 posted:

The tweet linked above seems to have been deleted, regardless, unless I have forgotten how to click.

This much is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
https://twitter.com/tegiminis/status/1737045838214648161

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/generative-artificial-intelligence-tools-and-magic

They released a statement, but yeah, that listing was literally just talking about the stupid Parallaxing poo poo they do

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

GonSmithe posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/generative-artificial-intelligence-tools-and-magic

They released a statement, but yeah, that listing was literally just talking about the stupid Parallaxing poo poo they do

I still think the statement "we require artists, writers, and creatives contributing to the Magic TCG to refrain from using AI generative tools to create final Magic products" is compatible with hiring people to tweak a bunch of baseline generated content into a final product

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
why would that not be using ai generated tools

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

flatluigi posted:

why would that not be using ai generated tools

Because if you use the AI tool to create a bunch of drafts then modify them then you've only created drafts with AI, not the final products. They have put that word in there for a reason and it's not a good one!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you use drafts to make final products

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'd rather go back to old timey non offensive racial slur chat

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I use drafts to increase my collection for constructed. hyukhyukhyuk

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

flatluigi posted:

ah well thy made a two sentence post on their website with slightly ambiguous language guess they cleared everything up

unrelated i'm curious what happened with layoffs and hasbro within the past two weeks

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
hmm i wonder what happens if i google wizards of the coast and ai art i assume there are zero results

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
curious if mark rosewater ever said anything remotely like “I believe there will come a day where AI is a tool we use for design, but there are a whole host of issues to work through before we get there.”

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

uggy posted:

ah well thy made a two sentence post on their website with slightly ambiguous language guess they cleared everything up

unrelated i'm curious what happened with layoffs and hasbro within the past two weeks

welcome back to the internet uggy! the tldr is hasbro fired a bunch of people from every single department in the company despite wotc being like their only successful division and they chose to do it right before the holidays because they're garbage. love it when corporations are constantly seeking eternally escalating profit to fill the pockets of their execs especially when it makes no logical sense, but we're fully into the 'get as much as you can before we finish setting the planet on fire' stage of existence

it'd be cool if people kept talking about that instead of tilting at windmills because ai art is apparently more important to people than dumping people with decades at wotc on the street, but people gotta keep chasing the new controversy i guess

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

flatluigi posted:

welcome back to the internet uggy! the tldr is hasbro fired a bunch of people from every single department in the company despite wotc being like their only successful division and they chose to do it right before the holidays because they're garbage. love it when corporations are constantly seeking eternally escalating profit to fill the pockets of their execs especially when it makes no logical sense, but we're fully into the 'get as much as you can before we finish setting the planet on fire' stage of existence

it'd be cool if people kept talking about that instead of tilting at windmills because ai art is apparently more important to people than dumping people with decades at wotc on the street, but people gotta keep chasing the new controversy i guess

AI also impacts labor???

It's possible to be upset about multiple things at once????

Conversations move through multiple upsetting topics sequentially??

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

rickiep00h posted:

AI also impacts labor???

It's possible to be upset about multiple things at once????

Conversations move through multiple upsetting topics sequentially??

yeah these are all true

wow, a lot of people just coming back to the internet today

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
straight up coming across as taking their statement at face value and telling folks they should focus on this other thing instead of ai art when that's the conversation at hand and my point was that hasbro, parent company of wotc, is not really a company that one should trust or assume acts in good faith

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
shockingly i also hate people using ai generated poo poo and i agree with uggy that wotc and hasbro have absolutely considered it in the past. the thing that's stopping corporations from leaning into it entirely is that (until lobbyists decide to throw weight around) the legality is getting established as not in their favor and "getting sued" is one of the few things that'll make an exec pause for a moment

the difference here is that i think people going off on the job listing is making poo poo up out of whole cloth and actually teed the company up entirely to make a 'we're not going to use AI' statement with zero actual effort or changed position on their part. grats to whatever's left of their pr department

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
That’s fair

I think them issuing a statement shows them feeling like they have to say something cause their actions don’t obviously reflect their now stated position

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The 'final' jumped out to me too, but really if they were going to lie about it they would just lie about it. Its not like posting a 'please put your pitchforks down' statement is legally binding.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
A lot of professional artists are using AI to rough draft stuff like background details and I guess Hasbro doesn't want to immediately throw them under the bus?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, I don't just randomly accept everything they say at face value, but as soon as I saw that post about that job listing I said "that sounds like it's just about the parallaxing poo poo they do," and if it WAS about AI they would have had no reason to put the statement out. They could have just ignored it and done it anyway.
I loving hate AI-generated images (not calling it art), it's theft, it would be awful if that is what WOTC is doing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
TBH it sounds like WOTC actually got off way lighter than the rest of the company. The total layoffs represent 20% and it absolutely does not sound like 200 people got laid off from WOTC specifically.

I mean, yes I personally would not have hit the one actually profitable branch of the company at all, but they do seem to have at least taken "these guys are our one moneymaker" into SOME account.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Was there a group a thread bans that expired today or something?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Nah I posted yesterday

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

uggy posted:

Nah I posted yesterday

So did toshi

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
There is a theory that current AI art learning models will eventually start converging on their own results as source material for generating new art, resulting in a feedback loop of sorts that enhances stereotypes and deformities from prior results which when you think about it would be funny within the sphere of Magic the Gathering. I for one am looking forward to watching the slow transformation into the inbred art 17th iteration of Jace.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it would be cool if there was an AI art tool that allowed the user to define the data set the model was trained on instead of every single one just scraping the entire internet. I get that you need a lot of data to make these things viable but it would be more art-positive in the public consciousness if it was just framed and presented entirely differently. if you're a workaday artist taking commissions and contract jobs and cranking out pieces every day, it would be nice to have a tool you could feed with your art and only your own art for a more effective model from which to create spec drafts. if you have a backlog of stuff that's all the same style, it would probably be a lot easier to touch up whatever the model trained on your stuff spat out. I get ai tools are being put out now but I'm not sure if there's anything quite like what I'm suggesting, where the model itself (the backend from which the AI generated images are created) is customized to your art specifically.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, historic Artisan event on arena made me think about power levels.

Imagine a tournament that allows decks from either Pauper, Historic/Pioneer Artisan or Standard. Which would you choose.

e: Also I am actually surprised that there are no youtube videos with that gimmick.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 20, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

it would be cool if there was an AI art tool that allowed the user to define the data set the model was trained on instead of every single one just scraping the entire internet. I get that you need a lot of data to make these things viable but it would be more art-positive in the public consciousness if it was just framed and presented entirely differently. if you're a workaday artist taking commissions and contract jobs and cranking out pieces every day, it would be nice to have a tool you could feed with your art and only your own art for a more effective model from which to create spec drafts. if you have a backlog of stuff that's all the same style, it would probably be a lot easier to touch up whatever the model trained on your stuff spat out. I get ai tools are being put out now but I'm not sure if there's anything quite like what I'm suggesting, where the model itself (the backend from which the AI generated images are created) is customized to your art specifically.
You can, it does, and no one has enough art to fill it

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

You can, it does, and no one has enough art to fill it

Yeah, there's been quite a few of the engines that say they are "trained on their own pool" that have had to admit they added in other training model's datasets.
There's a court case going right now (or to be filed soon? I read the filing) for some DeviantArt artists against them, they figured out a way to get specific images to be generated showing it stole their original art in the dataset even though they were saying they didn't do that.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

So, historic Artisan event on arena made me think about power levels.

Imagine a tournament that allows decks from either Pauper, Historic/Pioneer Artisan or Standard. Which would you choose.

e: Also I am actually surprised that there are no youtube videos with that gimmick.

Probably Pauper mono blue terror, kuldotha, or UW all that glitters... What answers does historic or standard have to a 5/5 ward 2 on turn 3 with counterspell and spell pierce backup?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

kalel posted:

So, there's two things here. You can train a network on a large dataset, to give it a foundation of what a picture is, and then give it more training which is heavily biased towards a particular dataset. It's how they do deepfakes. They take a model that has been trained to draw human faces on a large dataset, and then train it some more to bias it towards one particular persons face, of which there's not enough samples to train from scratch. So, you can make a model customized to a particular person's art, but it isn't fully trained on that art.

Also, you can absolutely download any of the code for generative AI models and train them yourself on your own dataset. It was a common thing people did back when the state of the art was possible on a high-end gpu (now you need to be google or nvidia to have enough compute power to compete). You will probably just run into issues of overfitting. If you were a big company who owned a lot of art (wotc might have enough) then maybe you could do it from scratch on your own dataset.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Probably Pauper mono blue terror, kuldotha, or UW all that glitters... What answers does historic or standard have to a 5/5 ward 2 on turn 3 with counterspell and spell pierce backup?

I do play mono blue terror in standard, though there having the terror on turn 3 is a god draw. And the most annoying match up is mono-w soldiers featuring Thalia and esper legends featuring Thalia. Or mono-r attacking with a 6/5 swiftspear with monstrous rage on turn 2.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Prof is giving/auctioning away stuff on Whatnot right now for at least 15 more minutes. Right now he's signing extra Academics he got from his distributor as an auction type thing.

CommandZone will be doing something similar at 6pm CST. Basically in like 15 minutes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Was there a specific Cube thread or am I misremembering

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If I needed to print custom cards where do you all go?
Like custom tokens for copy effects and weird split cards?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

If I needed to print custom cards where do you all go?
Like custom tokens for copy effects and weird split cards?

MPC for sure

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Vintage cube is up on mtgo fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Johnny Truant posted:

MPC for sure

They look pretty nice, what's their turnaround time?