Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

well why not posted:

smartest man on earth [just goes to a haters apartment to gently caress them up]

drat, that guy is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

C:\Users\Ἀλέξανδρος\Documents\BOYS

That file is just pictures of Ozy and these guys

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I love how goofy Ozy is in HBO Watchmen. And Manhattan is definitely a dude that would go around in blackface for a while.

It's also amusing how the sources for Comedian (Peacemaker) and Owl (Blue Beetle) have a bit of mainstream recognition now.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Darko posted:

I love how goofy Ozy is in HBO Watchmen. And Manhattan is definitely a dude that would go around in blackface for a while.

It's also amusing how the sources for Comedian (Peacemaker) and Owl (Blue Beetle) have a bit of mainstream recognition now.

Don’t forget the Question (Rorschach)!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Equeen posted:

Don’t forget the Question (Rorschach)!

Question has only really been in JLU at this point. Lots of Mills and Xers get the relationship now but he has yet to be in a popular TV show or major movie.

It's funny that Watchmen came out before anything it referenced did. It really was ahead of its time.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nobody could have predicted that things would get dumb enough for their to be a Peacemaker TV Show

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's a shame John Cena didn't get cast as Shazam. Like, Cena vs Rock as Shazam vs Black Adam would just loving rule.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A good prescient bit of casting in Watchmen is that The Comedian is a wisecracking soldier who kills his enemies with advanced weaponry, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan who plays him looks like Robert Downey Jr

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don’t see it, but still lol at ZS casting JDM as Thomas Wayne.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
And he was in The Walking Dead. What's with this guy and bats?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Halloween Jack posted:

And he was in The Walking Dead. What's with this guy and bats?

This forum needs a "buy user a drink for this post" button.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

well why not posted:

I don’t see it, but still lol at ZS casting JDM as Thomas Wayne.

If they really wanted to do Flashpoint, JDM would have made a hell of a Thomas Wayne version of Batman.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tomorrow night we watching Rebel Moon!!!! :supaburn:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darko posted:

Question has only really been in JLU at this point. Lots of Mills and Xers get the relationship now but he has yet to be in a popular TV show or major movie.

It's funny that Watchmen came out before anything it referenced did. It really was ahead of its time.

While of course it's right to be loathe to hand anything to Joss Whedon, he may have had a point when he said Watchmen came out a bit too early. That said, imagine trying to get a Watchmen movie made under modern WB...

Also I had it pointed out that The Comedian sounds like a Joker riff, and then that instead of a clown, he's styled like Groucho Marx, an actual iconic comedian.

well why not posted:

smartest man on earth [just goes to a haters apartment to gently caress them up]

To be fair that's a smart thing to do in that it has to be immensely satisfying.

Kinda funny that Ozy tries to be all fight analysis when he just kinda made the rookie mistake of getting up close to a guy who's bigger and stronger than he is. Bruce Lee himself would tell you that in a real fight, skill can't make up for being out of your weight class.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 21, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s one of the funniest parts of the book, Ozymandias showing up to rough trade Comedian (on the docks) and just getting dunked on so hard he’s bitter for a decade and still kinda salty about it even after murdering Blake. Thank you for sharing this part.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Darko posted:

has yet to be in a popular TV show or major movie.

Like blue beetle lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

well why not posted:

Like blue beetle lol

Amazon prime is trying to push that one and the The Flash movie on me to a comical degree. For a while, The Flash always was at the top of my page, and always to buy at full price, no renting and no special offers.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I really wish I was interested in seeing Blue Beetle, but I just don't have the energy for any more of the DCEU death throes movies. They are all hollow without Snyder.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Re-watched BvS today (regular cut, not ultimate edition) and I have to say, the scene of Clark sitting down watching the TV as people all around the world debate his existence hits a little bit harder in the world of covid. I have cystic fibrosis and had a double lung transplant about 8 years ago, so watching the worlds media debate about whether or not I can leave the house/sacrifice myself for the good of the economy etc was a really loving strange experience.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Between making kid Clark’s burgeoning superpowers be presented like what it feels to be an autistic kid being thrust into a far too intense environment to things like that “Clark watches people talk about him like he’s a theoretical thing and not a flesh and blood person”, Snyder really wanted to underline the humanity of people who diverge from the norm through Clark. It connects with some people, doesn’t with other, which is also probably why the “why did you say that name?!” bit either hits you like a brick wall or makes you burst out laughing. (But gently caress those people who burst out laughing, they’d probably laugh at some of the melodramatic moments in Godzilla Minus One, too).

It’s sort of like he shows a real care and love for the characters in Watchmen, like where Jeffrey Dean Morgan plays the existential terror of having found Veidt’s plan, or how he doesn’t present Dan’s impotence mockingly, or how Billy Crudup adds so much resignation to “I am tired of this world, and it’s people. I am tired of being caught up in their lives.”

And you can even pull that back to Dawn of The Dead, he and Gunn have zero reasons to make the mall cops into people who grow into being, to paraphrase how The Apartment puts it, “mensches - genuine human beings”. But they do. And that’s kind of at the center of both guys’ better works - there’s something very sweet about the Elizabeth Banks and Michael Rooker scene at the climax of Slither, or “he may be your father, but he sure as poo poo ain’t your daddy” in GOTG2, although the best of all these moments will probably remain Perry grabbing Jenny’s hand as a wave of pure destruction bears down on them, and that human connection powering this lone hope on the other side of the world to push beyond the limits he knows to save them all.

Maybe that’s why Gunn took on the questionable job of heading up the DC connected stuff from his old collaborator; he and Zack are just having a low-key competition to try to insert some real loving emotional heft into these increasingly plasticine exercises we call the superhero movie.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/hellresidentny/status/1737696501084660152?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

Zack had an uphill fight trying to convince the WB leadership to let DC be their own thing instead of copying the MCU, so yeah

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How else is he supposed to dry them, you really shouldn't put metal(?) scales in the dryer

e: The Epic Mythology of Calendar Man

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not having seen it, I don't have anything inherently against a scene where Batman throws his suit in the laundry or whatever. (I remember a scene in The Long Halloween where Alfred's complaining that Bruce will have to wear a damp Batsuit because he won't stop working long enough for Alfred to finish his laundry. It doesn't deflate the whole issue or anything.) It's good not to take yourself seriously when you're making a movie about Aquaman.

But you also have to play it straight. Constantly nodding and winking at the audience and poking fun at your own material is the default approach to, for example, low-budget horror-comedies that aren't horror or comedy and just suck rear end. It's weird to me how the fandom about making MCU characters "human" and "relatable" ends up wrapping back around to a point where it feels like they have contempt for the subject matter.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 21, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

There’s a reason you dont see Bruce washing his tights

Edit lol beaten

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

There’s a reason you dont see Bruce washing his tights

Edit lol beaten

Well yeah, he has a butler for that

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RBA Starblade posted:

How else is he supposed to dry them, you really shouldn't put metal(?) scales in the dryer

e: The Epic Mythology of Calendar Man

Talc and lube.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Clark cooking in BvS was sexy as hell, I would have loved to see him doing laundry too

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You want to see Henry Cavill fold a rubber shirt? Well, so do I.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Clark cooking in BvS was sexy as hell, I would have loved to see him doing laundry too

You will believe a man can fry

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This forum needs a "buy user a drink for this post" button.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Halloween Jack posted:

You want to see Henry Cavill fold a rubber egg?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

GoldStandardConure posted:

Re-watched BvS today (regular cut, not ultimate edition) and I have to say, the scene of Clark sitting down watching the TV as people all around the world debate his existence hits a little bit harder in the world of covid. I have cystic fibrosis and had a double lung transplant about 8 years ago, so watching the worlds media debate about whether or not I can leave the house/sacrifice myself for the good of the economy etc was a really loving strange experience.

I made it to 10 years post this summer. I know exactly what you are talking about. Funny how they made sure that the voices of the chronically ill and immunosuppressed people had no place in the policy discussions. I lost a bunch of friends who went psycho over being asked to wear a mask or get vaccinated. But probably psychically worse was north american society deciding i was expendable. Big hugs to you :glomp:

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Less “Aquaman hanging his suit on a line,” more “octopus playing the drums at a death match.”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I see one of the reasons for PG-13 is depiction if sexual assault. Before I watch, could someone warn me the context or how graphic or implied it is, or if it is escaped?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I see one of the reasons for PG-13 is depiction if sexual assault. Before I watch, could someone warn me the context or how graphic or implied it is, or if it is escaped?

I asked this on discord and the response from people who saw it, it's threatened.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's two sequences but the first one is more intense, a young woman in the village is dragged into a building by soldiers who discuss who will assault her first. Kora hears her shouting and comes over to shoot them all in an extended slow-mo fight. There's nothing really shown but they're very unpleasant characters and the dialogue is not ambiguous.

In the other one a gross alien guy grabs Michel Huisman's character's crotch in the cantina scene and makes a series of remarks about wanting to have sex with him. Also ends in a shootout.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I've said this before but we never really got past the "you expected yellow spandex?" joke from X-Men in 2000, from a script that was "punched up" by Joss Whedon. Like sure, now we've gotten to the point where super heroes will actually wear some of their iconic costumes, but the movies have to be constantly letting you know that they are in on the joke, that hey we all get it, this is silly looking poo poo!

It's one thing to embrace the campiness, but what the MCU has created is this tone where everyone has to be joking in the most "mugging for the camera" way to undercut not just the emotional aspects of the movie but even the already comical aspects of the movie like "holy poo poo this guy's actual name is Octavius and he cosplays as an octopus!" when like, duh, that was already a joke.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I won't. The one 100% valid criticism of BvS is that fake-rear end egg. My youngest has cooking toys that look more convincing. There are some very delicious-looking food-props out there but I guess it makes sense that that's not Snyder's primary concern in that scene.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The egg looks different because Superman laid it himself, it's a Kryptonian egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rubber breakfast. Honest.