Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

As funny as all this is, Death is probably another ineffable monster thing like the Darkness Devil since devils represent both the things and the fear of the thing Death would be the personification of the end of life, whatever that would actually look like. Maybe just a corpse, all gross and rotten, or maybe traditional Death and it's a big skeleton in a robe wielding a scythe, but I doubt it'll be as pedestrian as that. Whatever it is I'm sure it will be terrifying when put to paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AnoHito posted:

I can’t think of a particularly worse option than literally everyone ever dying horribly, so it would kind of turn out better for them by default.

A worse option:

Everyone living, forever. Immortality doesn't mean invulnerability. Someone could cut you into pieces and you'd remain, alive but in unending agony, forever. Forever.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the Injury Devil would have a field day. Just people being afraid of stuff like beheading, losing limbs, organ damage because that shits permanent and you'd carry it with you forever.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Everyone is disabled and looking like mutilated corpses

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

As funny as all this is, Death is probably another ineffable monster thing like the Darkness Devil since devils represent both the things and the fear of the thing Death would be the personification of the end of life, whatever that would actually look like. Maybe just a corpse, all gross and rotten, or maybe traditional Death and it's a big skeleton in a robe wielding a scythe, but I doubt it'll be as pedestrian as that. Whatever it is I'm sure it will be terrifying when put to paper.

Counterpoint: She is one of the Horsemen of Apocalypse and every other horsemen looks almost indistinguishable from ordinary human. Now, granted, I am not entirely sure what a personification of Control or Famine should look like, but I'm pretty sure a young asian woman ain't it.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 19, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

I wish :pray:

and yeh the other horsemen calling Death a sister leads me to believe Death will be very human-ish. they, like the picture above, might actually be one of the most compassionate to humanities plight

it would be hilarious if Death is coming in a reverse prophecy. Death isn't here to end the world it's here to save the world from Denji and Asa's doomsday battle

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

it'd be funny to me if death being a huge deal (being the king of terror or whatever, beyond being an obviously scary primal devil) was a relatively recent development in the chainsaw man universe since there used to be four other ways life could end. like idk I would maybe be less scared of death if every day I had to make sure my children go to the basement before sunset or they'd go insane. only so much fear bandwidth

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 20, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I wish :pray:

and yeh the other horsemen calling Death a sister leads me to believe Death will be very human-ish. they, like the picture above, might actually be one of the most compassionate to humanities plight

it would be hilarious if Death is coming in a reverse prophecy. Death isn't here to end the world it's here to save the world from Denji and Asa's doomsday battle

The Endless acting the opposite of their names was a genius move and if Fujimoto can’t come up with something more interesting for his Death I wouldn’t blame him

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Welp, Barem got what he wanted.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

wonton destruction

This would be a kickass restaurant name.

Anyway, on discussions of Horsemen and how Death is missing so far: What is the thing that kills concepts in this world? Chainsaw Man. We saw War as a cute little bird thing. What if we've already seen Death as a cute little doggo.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Ranzear posted:

Anyway, on discussions of Horsemen and how Death is missing so far: What is the thing that kills concepts in this world? Chainsaw Man. We saw War as a cute little bird thing. What if we've already seen Death as a cute little doggo.

it wasn't until this quote that I realized I had spelled the food. you're right that would be pretty good name for a fusion place

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Valentin posted:

moving through the line of action rotating around denji's body and ripcord pull as the focal point and then framing the resulting final panel using the edifice of the burning house to create the illusion of a fiery cross, goddamn.

it's so good. i'm not always a fan of his motion blur fight scenes, but fujimoto's paneling is just incredible

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Steve Yun posted:

Edit: Are we just giving up on spoiler tags?

I love how Fujimoto pulls Calvinball rules out of his rear end and they somehow make sense

maybe i'm in the minority but i don't really like spoiler tagging stuff here. it's not like the one piece manga thread where people could be reading the chapter like a week before it comes out officially

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

I love this dude lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Reasons this is not the case:

1) Pochita is a boy. Death is a girl.

2) Makima hates Death and loves Pochita.

3) Pochita and Death fought each other, in front of a host of witnesses, who all know Death and Chainsaw Man are different people to the point of counting on Pochita killing Death.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

yum posted:

I love this dude lol

I legit feel kinda bad for him. The story seems to imply that his past is like Reze’s and he’s been an unwilling slave his whole life even before Makima “acquired” him. The scene with the hybrids getting lunch seems to portray them all except maybe Barem as having zero education or normal life experience. Basically a bunch of Denjis who were never lucky enough to get an Aki, Power, and Pochi in their lives. So it’s no surprise he’s been so easily manipulated into thinking he’s doing the right thing for a good cause for once in his life.

But anyway Pochita isn’t Death, he’s Loneliness. Think about it, he just wants people to hug him, there’s a whole thing going on where Yoru’s greatest fear is being forgotten, also the fact he literally makes the world not know you even exist. And it’s also one of the only fears not ultimately an expression of death, in fact people may choose death over loneliness, meaning it’s potentially the only thing more feared, and thus more powerful, than Death.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
One thing I am surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is as far as I understand Devils only spawn on earth when they are killed in Hell and before Arc 2 with the falling devil and presumedly the fire devil the reason primals are primals is that they are to strong for other devils to kill which means they have never spawned on earth. Which begs the question if Death devil is one of the strongest devils who is going to kill her in hell?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Drashin posted:

One thing I am surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is as far as I understand Devils only spawn on earth when they are killed in Hell and before Arc 2 with the falling devil and presumedly the fire devil the reason primals are primals is that they are to strong for other devils to kill which means they have never spawned on earth. Which begs the question if Death devil is one of the strongest devils who is going to kill her in hell?

Doomguy

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

“Rip and tear until it is done” really fits whatever’s coming up in the next chapter…

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Drashin posted:

The Falling Devil fight was really fuckin cool but it did kind of break the rules of "Devils can only come to earth once they've died" - if the Falling Devil could come to earth through some kind of devil request, there's no reason the Death Devil or the Loneliness Devil or the Being Forgotten Devil or whatever other primals there are couldn't also make their way here.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
We already had an example of a devil getting to earth without dying from the very beginning of the series: pochita. They were heavily injured in a fight but didn't die.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Was that really ever a rule? Like, yeah Devils most often end up on Earth by dying in Hell and they most often return to Hell by dying on Earth, but I don't think it was ever stated that is the only way to travel between the two. Even in Part 1, we had Hell Devil who could transfer humans, fiend and Devils back to Hell, Spider Devil who could appear in Hell seemingly at will and bring Makima with her (albeit at a cost) and Chainsaw Devil managed to get out of Hell and back to Earth somehow, despite very obviously not dying. There are very obviously multiple ways to travel between Hell and Earth that don't require death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We've already known for a long time that there are ritual methods to summon powerful Devils for a time. The most obvious being the Hell Devil

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
[quote="galagazombie" post="536653470"]
I legit feel kinda bad for him. The story seems to imply that his past is like Reze’s and he’s been an unwilling slave his whole life even before Makima “acquired” him. The scene with the hybrids getting lunch seems to portray them all except maybe Barem as having zero education or normal life experience. Basically a bunch of Denjis who were never lucky enough to get an Aki, Power, and Pochi in their lives. So it’s no surprise he’s been so easily manipulated into thinking he’s doing the right thing for a good cause for once in his life.

What makes him even more tragic is that in the very same chapter the mastermind (?) of the church admits that their goal is aligned with Makima’s - the very person he hated and joined the Church to escape from.

Fits the theme of the past ever present in part 2. The struggle over Denji’s life between the State and the Church has Makima’s prints all over it - with the State vying for Denji’s subservience through a “normal life” by resorting to extreme measures of control like mass surveillance, and the Church advocating for “freedom” (really just more control with fewer strings attached) through Makima’s ghosts. Neither of the organizations care for Denji himself, just the concept he represents. Both choices are also illusionary. This chapter has Denji once again refusing both options and just doing what he wants.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

implicitly fallen is stored as or summoned via the figurine fami turns her into at the end of the arc, yeah? famine tells falling to "return," which suggests that's falling either turning back into pokeball form or going back to hell and leaving a calling card behind, since famine holds onto whatever it is. i don't think it would break the rules even if she just showed up on earth without anything being hinted at but that scene pretty obviously indicates there's some specific magical mechanism by which falling is on earth even if it hasn't been explained in detail

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 20, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Leafed through my bitchin rad box set because some people said there were issues with the volumes (none that I saw, guess I got lucky) and man, the final confrontation with Denji and Majima is such a downer, it’s one of the smartest things Denji did in the series and it’s entirely in service of him admitting he was literally nothing to the girl he loved.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Last Celebration posted:

Leafed through my bitchin rad box set because some people said there were issues with the volumes (none that I saw, guess I got lucky) and man, the final confrontation with Denji and Majima is such a downer, it’s one of the smartest things Denji did in the series and it’s entirely in service of him admitting he was literally nothing to the girl he loved.

Yeah Majima only has eyes for Kiryu after all

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 20, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God I'd love a Yakuza-style Chainsaw Man game. Just like 70% Denji and Power going around doing weird-rear end sidequests and playing arcade games, 30% ultraviolence.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

CSM Part 1 really lends itself to a Bioshock style twist

Like, have all of the necessary tutorial prompts/quests be voiced by Makima. Cute touches like that

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

ImpAtom posted:

God I'd love a Yakuza-style Chainsaw Man game. Just like 70% Denji and Power going around doing weird-rear end sidequests and playing arcade games, 30% ultraviolence.

Cursed post, now I also have to live knowing I’d want this and will likely never have it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Scholtz posted:

CSM Part 1 really lends itself to a Bioshock style twist

Like, have all of the necessary tutorial prompts/quests be voiced by Makima. Cute touches like that

"Would you kindly open the door", great way to end the tutorial room and also begin the last chapter of the game.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

im going to believe peaking man save all the pets 🥰

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

would you koindly experience having a family for the foist toim

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I wonder if the last line is supposed to hint at irony. There was a civilian nearby, seeing all of the action from a door opened ajar. Denji's identity may finally be exposed -- something he hoped for in the beginning. And he has now achieved his dream of being Chainsaw Man again, but the Church probably wanted that to happen for some catalyst for something like war.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

I was going to suggest Mortal Kombat guest but that sounds even better

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Steve Yun posted:

I was going to suggest Mortal Kombat guest but that sounds even better

If Chainsaw Man appears in a fighting game, it must be another Shonen Jump crossover (hopefully better than the last one) just because it'd be so funny to see this manga's ultraviolence with the significantly tamer other series.

Also a version of Chainsaw Man already exists in the MHA verse so it'd be actually pretty neat to have Deku acknowledge Denji. That can only lead to great interactions, Denji would be so happy to be known as a hero.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Where's Jump Ultimate Stars 2 Shueisha you cowards

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Flair posted:

I wonder if the last line is supposed to hint at irony. There was a civilian nearby, seeing all of the action from a door opened ajar. Denji's identity may finally be exposed -- something he hoped for in the beginning. And he has now achieved his dream of being Chainsaw Man again, but the Church probably wanted that to happen for some catalyst for something like war.

to be fair there are millions of people randomly turning into chainsaw man at the moment, so denji isn't particularly singling himself out yet

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Jump Force didn't really have blood in it period, but even if it did it also contained Fist of the North Star, Saint Seiya and JoJo, so Chainsaw Man's not exactly setting records next to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Blood? You mean "Chainsaw Oil", right?