Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

stuker posted:

to be fair there are millions of people randomly turning into chainsaw man at the moment, so denji isn't particularly singling himself out yet

Hundreds of thousands. Not millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chiasaur11 posted:

Hundreds of thousands. Not millions.

There is 0 difference between those two numbers

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

One is more than twice the other, at least. (It still does not matter.)

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

trying to decide if the kind of film guy fujimoto is means he's more likely to have previously encountered burning cross imagery in birth of a nation or in highlander. I'm assuming highlander, since there it's associated with war, but this arc is a little bit about media and media-savvy orgs manipulating popular sentiment, so the birth of a nation reference wouldn't feel entirely crazy since then it feels like an invocation of how a feature film used the burning cross as a potent symbol for racial hatred and the incitement of racist violence which was then adopted and mirrored horrifyingly in the real world by real violence.

either way it's undeniably sick in the composition tho

Valentin fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 21, 2023

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

galagazombie posted:

I legit feel kinda bad for him. The story seems to imply that his past is like Reze’s and he’s been an unwilling slave his whole life even before Makima “acquired” him. The scene with the hybrids getting lunch seems to portray them all except maybe Barem as having zero education or normal life experience. Basically a bunch of Denjis who were never lucky enough to get an Aki, Power, and Pochi in their lives. So it’s no surprise he’s been so easily manipulated into thinking he’s doing the right thing for a good cause for once in his life.

i agree with this a lot: sword man does seem like the only sympathetic one in the current crew of fiends. we just saw him brooding over being rejected by denji, and sure it was a funny bit with the staircase but he's exactly like you described-- a youngish guy who maybe had a better support system as a kid but also didn't have pochita/public safety as poo poo hit the fan. the situation with the church sorta mirrors denji's act 1 arc too, so i wonder how much he understands is actually happening

stuker fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 21, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Um, excuse me Whip girl and her combo of not giving a gently caress and being too dumb to understand what is happening even if she gave one is very sympathetic. :colbert:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I feel like sometime in this second big arc we'll find out what insane fear Pochita and Chainsaw Man actually represent. We know that devils are born from fears, and get stronger the more people are afraid of that thing. That's why that chicken devil early in the arc was weak as hell and Darkness devil was instakilling folks. So I refuse to accept the premise that a devil was around that was so strong it could erase other devils like the Nuclear Weapon devil by eating them (and then erase them from all of human memory as well), and the devil that could do that was born of the fear of goddamn chainsaws. Memory loss/forgetting seems like the most sensible "true" identity based on the ability to erase concepts from human memory and how that power could plausibly be turned onto itself as a way to hide or forget its own nature, but I'm hoping there's a cooler twist than that.

I'll definitely be real disappointed though if we get to the end of the manga and it's just like nope, Chainsaws just are able to beat nukes and such in my world, don't know what to tell ya! It wouldn't be out of place with the tone of the series, but that whole situation staying unresolved or unacknowledged wouldn't sit well with me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean cannibalism/being-eaten is right there and has been a major cultural fear since the beginning of humanity. if they have to be anything other than chainsaws i don't see why it wouldn't just be that, instead of something abstract like forgetting. chainsaws are a weapon made of teeth.

e: one aspect with the whole fear of being eaten is it can really, well disturb your remains. so often there is an element of not only are you dead, but you can't be lay properly to rest. its not difficult to connect this with how chainsawman's eating works.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 21, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

NowonSA posted:

I feel like sometime in this second big arc we'll find out what insane fear Pochita and Chainsaw Man actually represent. We know that devils are born from fears, and get stronger the more people are afraid of that thing. That's why that chicken devil early in the arc was weak as hell and Darkness devil was instakilling folks. So I refuse to accept the premise that a devil was around that was so strong it could erase other devils like the Nuclear Weapon devil by eating them (and then erase them from all of human memory as well), and the devil that could do that was born of the fear of goddamn chainsaws. Memory loss/forgetting seems like the most sensible "true" identity based on the ability to erase concepts from human memory and how that power could plausibly be turned onto itself as a way to hide or forget its own nature, but I'm hoping there's a cooler twist than that.

I'll definitely be real disappointed though if we get to the end of the manga and it's just like nope, Chainsaws just are able to beat nukes and such in my world, don't know what to tell ya! It wouldn't be out of place with the tone of the series, but that whole situation staying unresolved or unacknowledged wouldn't sit well with me.

The name being bounced around twitter a while back was Extinction

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I mean, it was already established that Chainsaw is so feared because he slaughtered his way through Hell like a hug-seeking missile. The erasing thing is still an unknown variable (most other Devil abilities tie into a traditional idea connected to the thing feared), but everything else fits fine with "He started scaring devils, and it snowballed from there".

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
imo its also funnier if it is just chainsaws.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

i mean cannibalism/being-eaten is right there and has been a major cultural fear since the beginning of humanity. if they have to be anything other than chainsaws i don't see why it wouldn't just be that, instead of something abstract like forgetting. chainsaws are a weapon made of teeth.

plus a well-established cultural (cinematic, too) connection between chainsaws and cannibalism already exists. part 1 got a lot out of the chainsaw's evolution out of a tool for childbirth but the other major cultural association for the chainsaw is leatherface

Valentin fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 21, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Snooze Cruise posted:

imo its also funnier if it is just chainsaws.

Whenever we go back and forth about whether the story will do A or B, Fujimoto ends up going with Z

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Valentin posted:

plus a well-established cultural (cinematic, too) connection between chainsaws and cannibalism already exists. part 1 got a lot out of the chainsaw's evolution out of a tool for childbirth but the other major cultural association for the chainsaw is leatherface (well and chapter 1 covers evil dead as well)

god fujimoto probably loves telling people that hooper became a vegetarian while making that film

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Devils specifically are afraid of chainsaws because people saw the movie Evil Dead and were like “wow chainsaws are great against demons and whatnot” and then weak devils got bullied by chainsaws sometimes and fiends saw this and they say Evil Dead and that fear and information was carried down into hell. Pochita is able to kill demons and erase them specifically because devils are the source of the fear. Making humans afraid of chainsaw man and chainsaws is going to have the opposite effect intended because it will make Pochita a normal strong devil instead of absurdly strong against devils specifically.

Makima is also stupid because her as a hyper-powerful devil who is one of the horseman is weakening Pochita by worshipping him. We already saw how humans cheering for Chainsaw man weakened him at the end of the first arc. As humans become afraid of chainsaw man, devils will likely become less afraid of chainsaw man because they will see Chainsaw man as an ally. This will weaken Chainsaw man against devils.

So my theory is that this is all misdirection and this plan is to turn Pochita into a ‘normal’ devil instead of a devil that devils are afraid of.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Snooze Cruise posted:

e: one aspect with the whole fear of being eaten is it can really, well disturb your remains. so often there is an element of not only are you dead, but you can't be lay properly to rest. its not difficult to connect this with how chainsawman's eating works.

I was dismissive until you said chainsaws have teeth, because that's both clever in an abstract way and also kind of funny (and as mentioned elsewhere, there's a cinematic connection so that just makes it more likely).

Of course with all these good guesses, I'm sure this is a Falling Devil type situation and it'll turn out to be bees or something

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pochita is obviously the Salsa Devil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mfDzBeeBSI

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

honestly because fujimoto is such a big movie guy i always thought the chainsaw devil being as strong as he is was just a nod to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre often being referred to as one of the scariest movies of all time. We even get a TCM cameo in the season 1 opener too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ghosthotel posted:

honestly because fujimoto is such a big movie guy i always thought the chainsaw devil being as strong as he is was just a nod to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre often being referred to as one of the scariest movies of all time. We even get a TCM cameo in the season 1 opener too.

Maybe now that there's a bunch of evil chainsaw mens we can get a reference to the chainsaw duel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chainsaw Devil having originally been like, The Devouring Devil, would make a lot of sense since eating and devouring is such a big part of the character, but short of it having devoured its own name (and thus being given the 'wrong' name), I'm not sure how someone like Makima wouldn't know it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Whenever we go back and forth about whether the story will do A or B, Fujimoto ends up going with Z

Yep, it'll be something like "the fear of having a puppy not let you pet it" and will somehow all make absolutely perfect sense.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ImpAtom posted:

Chainsaw Devil having originally been like, The Devouring Devil, would make a lot of sense since eating and devouring is such a big part of the character, but short of it having devoured its own name (and thus being given the 'wrong' name), I'm not sure how someone like Makima wouldn't know it.

I like this. Maybe Starvation Devil or Forgotten Devil, like memory being swallowed or something.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
in the gentlest and most loving way i can ask, has anybody itt ever correctly predicted a future story element (beyond the overt foreshadowing stuff like "idk if this makima lady is on the up and up")? for that matter, has adtrw in general ever done so? i'm not counting witch from mercury because "the secret powerful weapon is powered by the life force of a child" is practically the free space in gundam bingo. like at this point if somebody says "this character is throwing death flags" or whatever i'm assuming the next few chapters will be them setting up a roth ira and working on lowering their cholesterol and moving to the suburbs and going to pta meetings.

anyway we haven't seen the last of bucky

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

in the gentlest and most loving way i can ask, has anybody itt ever correctly predicted a future story element (beyond the overt foreshadowing stuff like "idk if this makima lady is on the up and up")? for that matter, has adtrw in general ever done so? i'm not counting witch from mercury because "the secret powerful weapon is powered by the life force of a child" is practically the free space in gundam bingo. like at this point if somebody says "this character is throwing death flags" or whatever i'm assuming the next few chapters will be them setting up a roth ira and working on lowering their cholesterol and moving to the suburbs and going to pta meetings.

Yes, frequently and quite often. One of the most notable off the top of my head is Attack on Titan where people called the identity of the Colossal and Armored titans aaaaages before they were revealed.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Tree Goat posted:

yes and I actually kinda have a bone to pick with the running joke of the thread being Falling Devil. everyone points to that as the reason why you can't trust anyone about predictions but the whole point of these threads is predictions and calling shots based on what happens. we've had tremendous called shots and we've had flubs but that's life

my issue specifically is people shouting down others' guesses. citing well everyone was wrong about Falling therefore no one can ever be right again. which is faulty logic

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i had some pretty good dungeon meshi predictions B)

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i wish i was falling devil

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Big Leg posted:

i wish i was falling devil

same... i would wear a tshirt that said this that is how much its true

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Multiple posters nailed the true identity of Kenpachi's sword in bleach

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Snooze Cruise posted:

same... i would wear a tshirt that said this that is how much its true

:pray: get on it creatives

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

even if it were reliably wrong (and people get stuff right plenty), plot speculation is one of the only things that gets many people to engage the "thinking about theme and structure in a coherent and broad manner" parts of their media brains so it's totally worth it because it leads to actual real conversation. far more interesting and worthwhile to read a dozen wildly incorrect theories that than to read two hundred '"chapter owned" posts, even when the chapter does own

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tree Goat posted:

why are you like this

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Valentin posted:

even if it were reliably wrong (and people get stuff right plenty), plot speculation is one of the only things that gets many people to engage the "thinking about theme and structure in a coherent and broad manner" parts of their media brains so it's totally worth it because it leads to actual real conversation. far more interesting and worthwhile to read a dozen wildly incorrect theories that than to read two hundred '"chapter owned" posts, even when the chapter does own

yes, absolutely not trying to stop people from speculating and i totally agree that even wildly off base speculation is almost always better to read than old school tv iv style "omg did that just happen???" posts for pages and pages. and i mean i think going for big swings is probably the most reliable prediction strategy given how part 2 has been going. i was just wondering if there were any notable called shots given that there's been some prominent big misses. like some of the things i've seen itt are still on the table as far as i'm concerned (e.g., "yoru/asa is a fight club situation and one is a projection of the other that gives license to act in ways she ordinarily wouldn't" doesn't seem too nuts to me as a twist).

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Tree Goat posted:

yes, absolutely not trying to stop people from speculating and i totally agree that even wildly off base speculation is almost always better to read than old school tv iv style "omg did that just happen???" posts for pages and pages. and i mean i think going for big swings is probably the most reliable prediction strategy given how part 2 has been going. i was just wondering if there were any notable called shots given that there's been some prominent big misses. like some of the things i've seen itt are still on the table as far as i'm concerned (e.g., "yoru/asa is a fight club situation and one is a projection of the other that gives license to act in ways she ordinarily wouldn't" doesn't seem too nuts to me as a twist).

plural? what your list of misses?? it kinda feels like you're shooting from the hip here and posting on vibes

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

plural? what your list of misses?? it kinda feels like you're shooting from the hip here and posting on vibes

i mean usually how this kind of speculating goes is that lots of people present lots of ideas, so you'd expect a lot of misses? like just in the past few pages there's been people speculating about whether or not the chainsaw devil is or is not accurately named (which is not a wild thing to think, even if it turns out to be wrong, since we've had just had "people can be misled about the names of devils" come up, although i will admit i'm personally skeptical about that given prior stuff about the weapon demons, but i could very well be wrong), which could be wrong or right, and then sub-speculation about what that "real" identity is, of which only a subset of the guesses are likely to be right even if the initial premise is true, since a lot of them are mutually exclusive. all of which is fine and not a judgment on getting things wrong (as mentioned, it gets people thinking about what they are watching, and, plus if you could reliably guess twists that would probably be boring). i'm more interested in what the hits were, and it sounds like there were some.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Tree Goat posted:

i mean usually how this kind of speculating goes is that lots of people present lots of ideas, so you'd expect a lot of misses? like just in the past few pages there's been people speculating about whether or not the chainsaw devil is or is not accurately named (which is not a wild thing to think, even if it turns out to be wrong, since we've had just had "people can be misled about the names of devils" come up, although i will admit i'm personally skeptical about that given prior stuff about the weapon demons, but i could very well be wrong), which could be wrong or right, and then sub-speculation about what that "real" identity is, of which only a subset of the guesses are likely to be right even if the initial premise is true, since a lot of them are mutually exclusive. all of which is fine and not a judgment on getting things wrong (as mentioned, it gets people thinking about what they are watching, and, plus if you could reliably guess twists that would probably be boring). i'm more interested in what the hits were, and it sounds like there were some.

you're dodging the question. I asked you to list the previous misses. you now are going into a meta conversation about posters

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
every post in this thread is better than my friend obsessing over a string of numbers that was on a billboard or something for a few chapters and how it would be crucial to future plot developments

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

you're dodging the question. I asked you to list the previous misses. you now are going into a meta conversation about posters

no? i was saying that, as an example on these last couple pages, that people were speculating about what fear/devil chainsaw really represents (which, again, are all perfectly fine posts to make/speculations to have!) and came up with (again, plausible!) guesses like starvation devil, forgotten devil, devouring devil, extinction devil, etc., which cannot not all be simultaneously true and so are at least 4-5 eventual "misses".

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Let's say chainsaw man is the concentration devil that can choose what the global consciousness can concentrate on. Everything else is forgotten about as distractions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Big Leg posted:

every post in this thread is better than my friend obsessing over a string of numbers that was on a billboard or something for a few chapters and how it would be crucial to future plot developments

The numbers, Fujimoto, what do they mean?!