Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Marv stepping on that goddamn nail is seared into my brain.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Now watch 3-6

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

herculon posted:

Now watch 3-6

hell no

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

2 gets a bad rap but i think its a nice sequel that follows the first film up well

great tim curry performance

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPP_iYo0Brk

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The live action yu yu hakusho.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Leadthumb posted:

The live action yu yu hakusho.

Is it good

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Poppers posted:

Is it good

cmon man...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

iron claw. really good. go watch it even if you dont know anything about wrestling.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

One Piece was decent

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation

Poppers posted:

One Piece was decent

:smugjones:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Poppers posted:

Is it good

It's loving wierd, just makes me want to rewatch the original.

The good parts are that the fight choreography is actually really fun, and the effects are hit and miss but they do a really good job interacting with the live performers to help sell it. The sets and the general world building they've done is pretty cohesive. Kuwabara is still the best, that actor gets it.

The bad parts are the choices they made with most of the characters who aren't kuwabara, and they cut A TON of plot beats out.

Unforgivable sins:they turned the rescue of heie's sister into the dark tournament. All the big character stuff that happens there now happens in the fights with the three mooks guarding her, and they spend a day with genkai before toguro kills her. They even go as far as to have toguro die at the end so it feels like a wierd one-off ova or something. If they do another season it would go right into the season 3 stuff. No big stadium, no crowds, no cat girl announcer, none of that poo poo.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Leadthumb posted:

It's loving wierd, just makes me want to rewatch the original.

The good parts are that the fight choreography is actually really fun, and the effects are hit and miss but they do a really good job interacting with the live performers to help sell it. The sets and the general world building they've done is pretty cohesive. Kuwabara is still the best, that actor gets it.

The bad parts are the choices they made with most of the characters who aren't kuwabara, and they cut A TON of plot beats out.

Unforgivable sins:they turned the rescue of heie's sister into the dark tournament. All the big character stuff that happens there now happens in the fights with the three mooks guarding her, and they spend a day with genkai before toguro kills her. They even go as far as to have toguro die at the end so it feels like a wierd one-off ova or something. If they do another season it would go right into the season 3 stuff. No big stadium, no crowds, no cat girl announcer, none of that poo poo.

its so stupid they didnt just do s1 as th first couple arcs, retrieving the divine artifacts, urameshi gettin trained, end wth the four beasts and the suzaku fight. theyve adapted like 2/3 of the series already lol. anyway its fine but unnecessary nd the manga/anime are 10000x better

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Fungah! posted:

its so stupid they didnt just do s1 as th first couple arcs, retrieving the divine artifacts, urameshi gettin trained, end wth the four beasts and the suzaku fight. theyve adapted like 2/3 of the series already lol. anyway its fine but unnecessary nd the manga/anime are 10000x better

That’s disappointing. The main reason One Piece wasn’t a fat turd was it was just an adaptation of East Blue and they didn’t skip any of the main emotional beats.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Mothra vs. Godzilla

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

home alone 1 + 2

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Joey McChrist posted:

home alone 1 + 2

You watch 3-6

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

herculon posted:

You watch 3-6

i have seen 3 actually. never saw 4/5/6 and tbh i didnt even know they existed before this thread

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

The kid Home Alone in the most recent one also played Jojo’s friend in Jojo Rabbit

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Probation

herculon posted:

The kid Home Alone in the most recent one also played Jojo’s friend in Jojo Rabbit

Jojo Rabbit is one of the worst films I have ever seen

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

That Little Demon posted:

Jojo Rabbit is one of the worst films I have ever seen

You should watch Home Sweet Home Alone

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Godzilla Minus One: fantastic, both epic kaiju action and really well done family drama/sociopolitical commentary rolled into one epic package

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
long plane flight:

Mr. Inbetween (season 1) - really good. funny as hell, not one bit of fat on it

The Nightingale - it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a ludicrous B-movie revenge fantasy or a serious discussion of misogyny and the British Empire, and tried to split the difference at every step. The three separate endings perfectly illustrate the point: one showing the impossibility of justice for subalterns; one saying explicitly, like out loud staring into the camera, that you just gotta kill the bad guys; and a vapid denouement with the sun rising on an Aboriginal doing a ritual dance and an Irish woman singing a pub trad number. It's addressing colonialism, misogyny, racism, and The English all at once at about the same level that that one high school dance group addressed 9/11

The Royal Tenenbaums - maybe The Nightingale put me in a bad mood, but this just didn't seem as sharp as anything else Wes Anderson (or Owen Wilson) ever wrote. A comedy with about eight laughs, five of which are in the opening montage.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. Rodan rules

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Godzilla minus 1. Movie of the year.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

When Tsuchibana was going over the instructions on how the plane operates and told Koichi he had to pull the red lever to arm the bomb i thought they were setting up a fakeout where he was tricking him into ejecting so he wouldn'thave to see another comrade die in a futile manner. The way they explained later and koichi overcoming his own desire to die was so much better, i cant believe we got a Godzilla movie where the human parts not only don't suck but are really well written character pieces

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

STONE COLD 64 posted:

When Tsuchibana was going over the instructions on how the plane operates and told Koichi he had to pull the red lever to arm the bomb i thought they were setting up a fakeout where he was tricking him into ejecting so he wouldn'thave to see another comrade die in a futile manner. The way they explained later and koichi overcoming his own desire to die was so much better, i cant believe we got a Godzilla movie where the human parts not only don't suck but are really well written character pieces

Lol not clicking or reading just appreciating the spoiler text I haven’t seen before

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

yeah that owned, i thought he was going to kamikaze but held out the hope he'd swerve until the first plan failed, was pleasantly surprised by what the third option turned out to be. my dad picked up on foreshadowing i missed too since i was watching it with him, with Noda's pre-plan speech including the mention of planes without ejection seats. it's insane how i was equally invested in the humanity half along with the Godzilla half of the movie. just so good

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

That little airplane was so cool too.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I can’t stop listening to the song that’s over the scene when he finally flies the plane. Loved the soundtrack in -1

https://youtu.be/0N_V7xdN7DI?si=157GPn_3F6D9H5bh

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

This.

Godzilla Minus One is one of the best narrative stories in 2023 imo.

----------------

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leadthumb posted:

That little airplane was so cool too.

I spent like 2mins trying to figure out if I was going insane or the plane was meant to look like that lol.

----------------

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

symbolic posted:

yeah that owned, i thought he was going to kamikaze but held out the hope he'd swerve until the first plan failed, was pleasantly surprised by what the third option turned out to be. my dad picked up on foreshadowing i missed too since i was watching it with him, with Noda's pre-plan speech including the mention of planes without ejection seats. it's insane how i was equally invested in the humanity half along with the Godzilla half of the movie. just so good

they also straight up show the ejector seat on camera when they first show the cockpit

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

trying to jack off posted:

they also straight up show the ejector seat on camera when they first show the cockpit

yeah, the German label clearly visible. I called that instantly but Noriko coming back was some bullshit. you were obliterated on screen!!!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

Lester posted:

yeah, the German label clearly visible. I called that instantly but Noriko coming back was some bullshit. you were obliterated on screen!!!

:sweatdrop:

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Godzilla (1954)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what was everyone's first godzilla movie? mine was destroy all monsters

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Godzilla vs Mothra (the 1992 one) when I was like six or something. It was one of my first movie-watching memories and I threw a small tantrum when Godzilla lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

showa godzilla vs mechagodzilla, lost my god drat mind when king caesar came out and fuckin loved when anguirus almost got his jaw ripped off