Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Happy Holidays from Eiichiro Oda!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Arist posted:

I never put it together that the reason Kuma was at Sabaody would have been to see Bonney, but duh, of course
Oda’s razor: even the most complex mysteries usually have an incredibly simple explanation

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

😭

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

great twist of the knife at the end. Exactly what i was hoping for.

I think my brain is broken though because when Kuma said that the damage Luffy took would probably knock him out it made me think about the powerscale implications.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

vegapunk created severance

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tragic but ultimately kind of beautiful flashback? Lots of pain, but ultimately Kuma really did become the hero he set out to be, on a global scale, moreso than most characters we're introduced.

Flashback has also been a really fun not at all cheesy way to do a retrospective of The Journey Thus Far. Really touched both on world events before the story but the concurrent ones were really poignant. Phenomenal full circle to the Sabody defeat.

Am enjoying the idea of some poor kid opening Jump and having this be the first chapter they see.

Wonder what Kuma's plan had Zoro died of Luffy's pain been? Like teleport him away then or take him to Dragon or something? Surely he wouldn't actually take him in.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 21, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I never thought I'd ever read something that made me feel how I did reading the end of Syrup Village as a kid. Sure, I still tear up at the major things that get everyone - Hiriluk, That Robin Moment, Brook's flashback, etc - but I remember how utterly floored I was in middle school reading the scene where Usopp disbands The Usopp Pirates, realizing I was reading something special. One big hiatus later (I fell off in the middle of Alabasta and only went and caught up a few years ago) and I'm consistently taken back at how good One Piece is in each arc with each moment. And yet, nothing prepared me for how I would feel about this chapter. It's going to go down as one of the all-time greatest, I firmly believe that. The same breath as some of the best and most iconic moments in the series. I'm sitting here at work on my lunch break wiping tears from my eyes. loving incredible. This is the kind of chapter people dream about writing, let alone reading.

gently caress man I think the funny pirate series might be pretty good

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
goddamn what a chapter to end the year on

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Jesus, that chapter

Also I think the only notable Kuma scene we skipped over was the one where he & Doflamingo met up. not that there was much to really get from there that we didn't already know

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thats now my second favorite flasbhack. robins is still #1, but this one went from cool if middling to holy gently caress in those last few pages

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

:qq:

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
couple of cool things i noticed:
from the strawhats perspective with kuma, we never see his eyes. he always looks intense and intimidating because of his sunglasses, but in this chapter we see his eyes and how soft and kind his expression is through them.

also kuma witnessing usopp land on a celestial dragon. i feel like that moment has been understated but will come up later. like when usopp is leading a bunch of people in the final war people will recognize him as a guy who hit a celestial dragon or something. feels strange to call attention to it again and now having it pay off. it could be purely for laughs, i guess, but oda is pretty smart about the weight of actions and consequences

saturn calling himself a "man of science" strengthens the idea that the WG literally created/terraformed/space traveled to the planet with some sort of advanced technology

theres no way at least one character on egghead doesnt have the personality switch (kuma/the giant robot/the pacifistas/the seraphim). wonder if it was set up to trigger at the sound of nika.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 21, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gat drat

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

anime was right posted:

also kuma witnessing usopp land on a celestial dragon. i feel like that moment has been understated but will come up later. like when usopp is leading a bunch of people in the final war people will recognize him as a guy who hit a celestial dragon or something. feels strange to call attention to it again and now having it pay off. it could be purely for laughs, i guess, but oda is pretty smart about the weight of actions and consequences

:eyebrow-raise:

Page of Kuma running is a masterpiece.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

anime was right posted:

saturn calling himself a "man of science" strengthens the idea that the WG literally created/terraformed/space traveled to the planet with some sort of advanced technology

its because hes the science minister, like how theres the war and finance minister and the agriculture guy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

anime was right posted:

theres no way at least one character on egghead doesnt have the personality switch (kuma/the giant robot/the pacifistas/the seraphim). wonder if it was set up to trigger at the sound of nika.

Saturn's title IS Godhead of Science. But the personality switch 100% is happening

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

CatstropheWaitress posted:

:eyebrow-raise:

Page of Kuma running is a masterpiece.

Yeah, holy poo poo, that page hit me more than anything

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kuma spent some of his final moments worrying about the strangers he might have hurt by becoming a Warlord :smith:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Man, that last page is heartbreaking. :smith: No wonder Conney rushed right in to stab Saturn after seeing all of that

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

framing the kuma running page the way oda did with his parents sending him off into the world, the way he huffs and puffs and gets more tired but keeps going as he meets more people, and the specific "frame" of his run that oda chooses mirroring the nika dance, juxtaposing his faith in nika and the ideals he represents with the way he chooses to move through life and impact others. the direct visual line drawn between the tiring exertion of sprinting for your life and what you believe in with the the only known action of your god, turning every bond he made into almost a form of transubstantiationist communion. its so incredible. i cried when i read it and im crying again thinking about it

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

oda you madman.. :cry:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Kumachi..... :qq:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Chapter 1066: Science Grandpa gets stuck in a wall

Chapter 1102: Science Grandpa breaks down as he pulls the lever that erases his friend's mind

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
gently caress

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
It has been 0 weeks since Oda made me tear up at work

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

When I started Egghead I thought it was going to be a relatively light-hearted little arc :smith:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Oda you truly are the GOAT :patriot:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I never thought I'd ever read something that made me feel how I did reading the end of Syrup Village as a kid. Sure, I still tear up at the major things that get everyone - Hiriluk, That Robin Moment, Brook's flashback, etc - but I remember how utterly floored I was in middle school reading the scene where Usopp disbands The Usopp Pirates, realizing I was reading something special. One big hiatus later (I fell off in the middle of Alabasta and only went and caught up a few years ago) and I'm consistently taken back at how good One Piece is in each arc with each moment. And yet, nothing prepared me for how I would feel about this chapter. It's going to go down as one of the all-time greatest, I firmly believe that. The same breath as some of the best and most iconic moments in the series. I'm sitting here at work on my lunch break wiping tears from my eyes. loving incredible. This is the kind of chapter people dream about writing, let alone reading.

gently caress man I think the funny pirate series might be pretty good

yeah

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That last page is the most heartbreaking thing I've seen in this comic. Vegapunk wreathed in shadows collapsed against the lever too. This chapter is going to hit like a truck in the anime.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
this song from the one piece anime naturally came into my head the further I read into the chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FscTa_Nqwo

kuma is just the best especially with all the poo poo he had to deal with

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1737790262402064744?s=20

.....oh.

Worst thing is this has literally nothing to do with The One Piece and it's gonna just cause people to fearmonger more about it

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 21, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was this originally a song from the anime or something before they did a bad AI cover of it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From the text of the tweet it sounds like Oda was playing around with a generator, made a song, and sent it to the social media staff to post

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
still dont like it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1737790262402064744?s=20

.....oh.

Worst thing is this has literally nothing to do with The One Piece and it's gonna just cause people to fearmonger more about it

oda has made me cry twice today

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Happy 10th Birthday Bonney!

...Fuuuuuck man, this one actually got to me. :smith:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

This panel hit me hard too

Oh baby girl, he's gonna recognize you no matter what

Adbot