Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Talk to Me might mark a first for me, the first time i felt too old for a horror movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Talk to Me might mark a first for me, the first time i felt too old for a horror movie

This was Bodies Bodies Bodies for me, but I still dug that well enough. I didn't think there was too much in TTM that I felt too old to get.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

This was Bodies Bodies Bodies for me, but I still dug that well enough. I didn't think there was too much in TTM that I felt too old to get.

see Bodies Bodies Bodies I just thought straight up sucked (although I was actually really impressed by the lighting) but Talk To Me I can at least sorta see why people liked.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

see Bodies Bodies Bodies I just thought straight up sucked (although I was actually really impressed by the lighting)
The thing about Bodies Bodies Bodies that I absolutely adored is that it adhered to Harlan Ellison's advice of starting your movie at the very last possible second you can; so many horror movies waste their first act (sometimes after a cold-open slashing, admittedly) setting the tone and introducing the characters. Bodies Bodies Bodies starts with us already pulling up to the mansion. Who are these people? What are their relationships and backstories? It's revealed throughout the movie via the dialog and actor's reactions to each other. It's really great, the same reason I love Underwater for doing character development through ongoing action instead of setting up the board before knocking over the pieces.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Bodies Bodies Bodies was a charming whodunit with a great sense of mystery and some strong punchlines but it was carried hard for me by Rachel Sennot being one of my favorite comedic actors going today. Stole the show.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Bodies Bodies Bodies was a charming whodunit with a great sense of mystery and some strong punchlines but it was carried hard for me by Rachel Sennot being one of my favorite comedic actors going today. Stole the show.

yeah she was admittedly great. i just thought the writing was rear end (although it's funny that the author of Cat Person gets credited despite her first draft bearing apparently zero resemblance to what got filmed)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I should rewatch Underwater at some point. That was a good one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

dorium posted:

I should rewatch Underwater at some point. That was a good one.

Despite coming out in January it was the 4th highest-grossing horror movie of the year (2020)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 21, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

It's really great, the same reason I love Underwater for doing character development through ongoing action instead of setting up the board before knocking over the pieces.

No kidding. I just watched that a few weeks ago and it's Kristen Stewart brushing her teeth... huh, the ceiling is dripping, that's probably not gooFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah she was admittedly great. i just thought the writing was rear end (although it's funny that the author of Cat Person gets credited despite her first draft bearing apparently zero resemblance to what got filmed)

Rachel Sennot is funny as gently caress, almost reminds me of Ilana Glazer in her insistence on being associated with horrible projects.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Jedit posted:

Is that not the very definition of a horror movie?

I wouldn't watch horror movies if I didn't enjoy them in the moment

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

Comments on all of the list that I've seen:

Likewise...

1 Skinamarink--I find myself in the middle of the inverse bell curve here as someone who thought it was just good. It's a movie that demands you immerse yourself completely, but even so it could have easily shaved off 20 minutes or so.

2. Talk to Me--Fun but flawed, but strong enough for a debut.

3. When Evil Lurks--Springing this on the family when they visit for the holidays because this is definitely a movie where you want to rewatch to observe people's reactions. (We watch a lot of horror movies together, this isn't some kind of Christmas prank on mom and dad.)

4. Beau is Afraid--I saw this on IMAX and it was so hypnotic and engaging, I'm trying to find time to block off three hours for a good rewatch. Favorite film of the year potential depending on how well it holds up.

5. Infinity Pool--Possibly my favorite Brandon Cronenberg.

6. Evil Dead Rise--Kind of a disappointment, an OK watch but the weakest Evil Dead film by a decent margin.

10. No One Will Save You--Really tight sci-fi horror.

15. Knock at the Cabin--I've come to really enjoy M. Night's embrace of schlock, so I enjoy his flicks for what they are these days.

I can't really say any of their picks that I haven't already seen are high on my priority list. I'll probably get around to M3GAN at some point.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Rachel Sennot is funny as gently caress, almost reminds me of Ilana Glazer in her insistence on being associated with horrible projects.

i've heard Bottoms is good

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If this is shade at Bottoms and Shiva Baby then I have to diagnose you with terminal bad taste disease I'm afraid :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i've heard Bottoms is good

Bottoms is ridiculously funny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bottoms is great.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Bottoms went to places I 1000% did not expect and I loved it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It was one of my best of the year, but since this is the horror thread I must recommend Shiva Baby. It is agonizing in how tense it is. People say it's a "black comedy" but it is pure horror to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was really keen for It's A Wonderful Knife but I reckon it just doesn't work for me. The opening third is genuinely mediocre, trying really hard to cram an absolute fucktonne of exposition, plus a mini slasher film and a straight up pastiche of It's A Wonderful Life into about thirty minutes of screentime and it kind of sucks at all of those things. And I mean sucks, the first few scenes in particular really get things off on the wrong foot. The recreation of Jimmy Stewart's big bridge scene also doesn't work for me, and my big takeaway from the film is that it's one of those intertextual films that only works if you're familiar with the original (e.g. if you weren't familiar with It's A Wonderful Life then the title of this film is borderline meaningless and mostly just serves to bring attention to the knife).

Weirdly I want to say that Jumanji is probably a far better version of this kind of thing, down to the Christmas setting -- except it's substituting Rudyard Kipling instead of 80's slasher elements. I loving love Jumanji.

Justin Long was fun and the film could probably have used more of him tbh. It's a lot of fun dropping an outsized SNL performance into something everyone else is playing straight, and making it both funny and uncomfortable. I thought some of the other actors were kind of phoning it in though, particularly McHale.

Also appreciate that it's one of those slashers that's coming from the Scream school of letting the heroes get some licks in on the slasher villain. There's a few shoutouts to Scream generally, including an inferior riff on the car sequence from Scream 2 that really drove home how poorly some of this film is constructed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wanna say “phoning it in” is kind of Joel McHale’s whole thing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/filmupdates/status/1737875942855372974?s=46
Eh… not my first choice for a director unless he plans on upending his entire style.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Throw away HP lovecraft’s vibe and do it like malignant

I hate everything about lovecrap besides his monsters

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
honestly... i think it could work? i don't know why but something about that fit feels like it could be right to me.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm all in on this. My favorite Lovecraft adaptations are Re-Animator and Colour Out of Space, Wan movies are much closer to this than the deathly serious adaptations of Lovecraft stuff we sometimes get.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Wan's biggest strength as a director is that he's good at what he does but has a clear Really Weird streak so I think he's a perfect fit if they go a creative route. Rewatching The Conjuring 2 for the third or fourth time in October was fun because this time I noticed the weird freeze frames and the way the camera swooped around in between the Serious Parts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Throw away HP lovecraft’s vibe and do it like malignant

I hate everything about lovecrap besides his monsters

The problem as I see it is that in Call of Cthulhu the real meat of the story is actually the monster stuff. Like, I don't want a 2 hour movie where the sailors landing on R'yleh is shown in a 5 minute flashback and the rest is just a guy researching a little statue. I want a full-on Ray Harryhausen Sinbad-esque adventure movie with Cthulhu. But I'm guessing that's not what we'll get.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wan going big and weird and unashamed ala Malignant at Lovecraft is probably better than others trying to be nuanced and real serious with it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What other New Year's horror movies are there besides New Year's Evil and Bloody New Year?

And I forget which one had the tagline "Should auld acquaintance be forgot? Or just brutally murdered?" on the VHS box.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’ll never doubt Wan after Malignant

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

The problem as I see it is that in Call of Cthulhu the real meat of the story is actually the monster stuff. Like, I don't want a 2 hour movie where the sailors landing on R'yleh is shown in a 5 minute flashback and the rest is just a guy researching a little statue. I want a full-on Ray Harryhausen Sinbad-esque adventure movie with Cthulhu. But I'm guessing that's not what we'll get.

5 mins they show every monster and it’s schlock

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I want cold, desolate and creeping dread more than anything.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What other New Year's horror movies are there besides New Year's Evil and Bloody New Year?

And I forget which one had the tagline "Should auld acquaintance be forgot? Or just brutally murdered?" on the VHS box.

Terror Train

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I wanna say “phoning it in” is kind of Joel McHale’s whole thing.

Going back to this for a moment, I kinda don't agree. In IAWK, I think McHale actually works fairly well in the second world bits, where he's playing a burned-out, traumatized, depressed and angry man - the dad whose only kid has been killed. And the twist that he has been manipulated into taking up the mantle of the killer after that for the benefit of Rich 1980s Biff Tannen almost works, but I don't think that the film dwells on it enough and so it ends up feeling a bit hollow.

The big thing is that McHale doesn't do sincerity well, so the beginning scenes feel incredibly phony because of that. I mean, they're all directed like the film wants this to be a Hallmark movie, but none of the actors are comfortable in that range, and that's a big problem with the film in general. But I suppose it'd be better to have actors that can put in the work in the darker setting scenes than in the overly warm beginning bits, I dunno.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The Call of Chtulhu (2005) is something close to this and is probably the best adaptation we're ever gonna get.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope it’s all the stuff he wanted to do in his cancelled Aquaman spinoff

End of Days

Belly

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Don't forget that Ghostbusters 2 is a New Year's movie.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Don't forget that Ghostbusters 2 is a New Year's movie.

Every good new years party should end with someone asking why they are drippings vith goo

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Call of Chtulhu (2005) is something close to this and is probably the best adaptation we're ever gonna get.

I haven't watched it in a while, but I remember it being pretty drat good.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always forget that Terror Train is a New Year’s movie because everyone’s wearing a costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

At least one of Hulu's Into The Dark anthology films is set at New Year, but they've got a film for most any holiday. I remember it being one of the decent ones too.