Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cumpantry posted:

i swear this forum had a thread for posting about books that suck but i lost or hid it...

I got you
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3334571&pagenumber=2&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
tripping over various comical objects and knocking over dishes and glassware and just generally 3 or 4 minutes of mr. bean pratfalls as i rush to be the first to post “a tbb thread about bad books? isn’t that most of them”

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i do vaguely remember a thread about good or bad prose that sort of circled around and went nowhere, and (maybe this was in the scholastic book fair sub sub forum) i even more vaguely recall some thread about guilty pleasures or something. but generally i think it’s just hate read threads of individual bad authors

e: wait, maybe you mean the IDEOTV podcast + thread, that was goons https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778269&pagenumber=1

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 22, 2023

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

MrQueasy posted:

It’s coming up on Christmas and I need ideas that are interesting but still challenging for an advanced 11yo reader who has hated almost everything I’ve given him so far in the last couple years.

Liked:
- Murderbot (Wells) (currently reading)
- Bone (Smith)
- The Hobbit (Tolkien)
- HP (Rowling)

Rejected:
- Eragon (Paolini)
- The Halloween Moon (Frink) (but he loves the NightVale podcast)
- Percy Jackson (Riordan)
- Redwall (Jacques)
- Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)

His primary complaint is that there’s “too many flashbacks” which confuses me. I know at my age I was devouring age inappropriate books like Jurassic Park, The Belgariad, anything Asimov, Red October. I suspect that he doesn’t have the same theater of the mind I have when I read, but it could also just be middle-school-itis. (Q. What was the best/worst thing that happened at school today? A. <Noncommittal grunt>).

He needs chapter books for school, but I’m ok with a few Graphic Novels for home. I just want to push his reading skills while also opening his eyes to new viewpoints. He seems to respond best to genre fiction, which is probably the fault of my own tastes.

I’m leaning towards Heinlein’s juvenile books, but I’m worried they’ll be too old fashioned.

Try Glynn Stewart's Starship's Mage, maybe. I don't remember anything age inappropriate except arguably some (offscren) sex, the read is pretty brisk, and there's a bunch of follow on books.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cumpantry posted:

i swear this forum had a thread for posting about books that suck but i lost or hid it...

Literally 99% of threads.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

cumpantry posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728926

There is this one in PYF.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

oh.. this is it! thanks, lol

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

going to cross post this over to the BotM thread, some really excellent potential reads in that list

:cheers:

and

to tBB

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Merry bookmas to all, and to all a good read!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Merry Christmas all!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I guess there's no way to get Apple devices to read the titles of individual chapters in an M4B file? At least, if there is, I can't find it.

I guess this saves me the trouble of going through all my books and labelling them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Today's drama: if you consume audiobooks, are you still considered to be "reading" the book?

This spawned from a TikTok creator who said "I read 40 books last year. I have a bit of a commute and work a lot, so half of those were audiobooks." To which, a bunch of people got huffy and stitched the TikTok and said "SO YOU ONLY READ 20 BOOKS."

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Today's drama: if you consume audiobooks, are you still considered to be "reading" the book?

This spawned from a TikTok creator who said "I read 40 books last year. I have a bit of a commute and work a lot, so half of those were audiobooks." To which, a bunch of people got huffy and stitched the TikTok and said "SO YOU ONLY READ 20 BOOKS."

we have that discussion every other month here too.

The correct answer is both are consuming media. One is listening to a story. The other is reading a story. That the story is the same doesn't change these facts.

Also WGAF you do you

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bilirubin posted:

we have that discussion every other month here too.

The correct answer is both are consuming media. One is listening to a story. The other is reading a story. That the story is the same doesn't change these facts.

Also WGAF you do you

Yeah, I think these arguments probably arise from English being a loving stupid language that is too sense-based.

An example of how English is stupid - in my job, I often work with accessibility assets for films. One of the accessibility assets is "audio description." AD tracks are basically a narrator describing all of the action that is happening. So someone who has sight problems can hear the character dialog and then the narrator comes in between lines of dialog.

I think that English is an incredibly ableist language when we get down to it. Someone could be blind and say "I saw the newest Mission Impossible" but they didn't actually *see* it with their eyes - they listened to the dialog and the audio description. But saying "I heard the newest Mission Impossible" just makes no sense.

Hell, you can say "I heard <headline> happened." even though you saw it on the news or read it in a newspaper.

Yet some people get really loving rigid on books.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Those people are dumb and wrong.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
We should normalize stating that you read a book and that you listen to an audio book. It only sounds weird because we aren't used to it.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I think these arguments probably arise from English being a loving stupid language that is too sense-based.

An example of how English is stupid - in my job, I often work with accessibility assets for films. One of the accessibility assets is "audio description." AD tracks are basically a narrator describing all of the action that is happening. So someone who has sight problems can hear the character dialog and then the narrator comes in between lines of dialog.

I think that English is an incredibly ableist language when we get down to it. Someone could be blind and say "I saw the newest Mission Impossible" but they didn't actually *see* it with their eyes - they listened to the dialog and the audio description. But saying "I heard the newest Mission Impossible" just makes no sense.

Hell, you can say "I heard <headline> happened." even though you saw it on the news or read it in a newspaper.

Yet some people get really loving rigid on books.

There's also the usage of "see" to mean "understand". I used to hang out with someone who had zero vision, and had a double-take every time they would use it that way. But it's two fewer syllables, so I guess it won out? :shrug:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, reading is interpreting written symbols or whatever the dictionary says, as opposed to listening. You don't read a podcast either :goonsay:

I don't think one is inherently more "respectable", for me it's easier to read than to listen to an audiobook. I get lost/distracted too easily in audio, have to go back if I miss something, etc. I would love to listen to more audiobooks but I just miss too much.

It probably engages different parts of your brain too, definitely a different activity. I do enjoy listening to the audiobook version if I've read the book.

that said, I have a really hard time caring about whether you read or listened to it tho, you do you

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
[quote="Mordiceius" post="536948508"]
But saying "I heard the newest Mission Impossible" just makes no sense.
/quote]

It makes perfect sense when you say overheard it from the next room where your partner was watching it. The blind person can also say they listened to it. Or that they experienced it. They're also free to say that they saw it, and it would be rude to argue against that, if only because it's entirely self evident that they didn't actually see it and are using the word in another type of way. And it seems very stupid to call English an ableist language because people see pictures in it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It probably engages different parts of your brain too, definitely a different activity.

It definitely does this,
https://www.researchgate.net/public...e_comprehension

...but it might not really matter much in the end
https://www.discovermagazine.com/mind/audiobooks-or-reading-to-our-brains-it-doesnt-matter

Anecdotally, I learn best when I both read AND hear the subject matter. As an undergrad, I would read the assigned chapters of a text, then take notes in class, then reread and take notes from the reading to fully integrate the material. Invariably I would get different things from the first reading pass and the lecture. And to study for exams, I would take notes of my notes. I killed a lot of trees

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have a buddy who reads the book and listens to the audio at the same time and finds it helps him follow. He did this with the Baru trilogy.

I use read in the most liberal definition to also include listen and also include looking at books without words. I also use books in the most liberal definition to include basically anything that has two covers and pages in between them (though maybe not in the form I read it in). Let chaos reign.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Jordan7hm posted:

I also use books in the most liberal definition to include basically anything that has two covers and pages in between them (though maybe not in the form I read it in). Let chaos reign.

that's a taco

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Mordiceius posted:

Is there a language where you would typically say something that translates differently than "I saw the newest Mission Impossible"?

I know a couple languages and they all would use the equivalent of "see" or "view" to express that sentence. If there is a language that doesn't do that it would be cool to know about it.

Anyway listening to audiobooks is fine but ime if I listen to an audiobook for something that has a lot of details to remember, I'm gonna remember almost none of them. Fine for things that aren't dense though.

I don't care if someone says they read an audiobook. I also don't know anyone in my life who cares or anyone who even might care.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

We should go ahead and transition to using "experience" regardless of what the media is or how we took it in. "I experienced the new Mission Impossible" is agnostic as to whether one watched it or listened or listened to the narrative audio or, as a way of future proofing, if one jacked in and started doing all the moves alongside the main character, Ethan Hunt.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ridiculous

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ras Het posted:

And it seems very stupid to call English an ableist language because people see pictures in it.

I think my problem is with how I feel like English describes these experiences in both strict and vague ways at the same time.

Does reading require using your eyes to look at words on a page (or screen)? If so, then the blind aren't reading because they're using their fingers to experience the words through braille. But you probably wouldn't tell a blind person that they can't read. But then if using your fingertips to experience braille is "reading," we've now established that reading doesn't require eyes. So why can't it include ears as well?

If the important part of reading is "understanding," then it is not the eyes or the fingers or the ears that are doing this, it is the brain.

Another example of this that isn't reading is when people say "I heard..." -
"I heard that a new Aquaman movie is really bad."
"Oh, where did you hear that?"
"I read a review in the LA Times."

English speakers generally use sense-based words very loosely but then turn around and enforce it as incredibly gate-keepy.

If you have a book group where a bunch of people gather to discuss the books they're working through, the same conversation can be had no matter if someone experienced the book through a physical copy, an ebook, a braille copy, and an audiobook. You're not going to say "Well, some of our members didn't actually read the book."

Humerus posted:

We should go ahead and transition to using "experience" regardless of what the media is or how we took it in. "I experienced the new Mission Impossible" is agnostic as to whether one watched it or listened or listened to the narrative audio or, as a way of future proofing, if one jacked in and started doing all the moves alongside the main character, Ethan Hunt.

Gonna start using the word "absorbed."

I absorbed Mission Impossible.

I absorbed The Way of Kings.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Forcing u all to absorb and experience my bad posts :smugdog:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I use read in the most liberal definition to also include listen and also include looking at books without words. I also use books in the most liberal definition to include basically anything that has two covers and pages in between them (though maybe not in the form I read it in). Let chaos reign.

Look at this sucker who doesn’t even do scrolls

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Listening to a book read out loud is obviously not the same as reading it, as whoever is reading will affect the text. My grandaunt read horrible fairytales to me when I were a lad, but I would never consider it as me having read them. (I mean I did read them myself at some point. Still "heard" all the dialogue in her voice which is wild.)

So! What if you read it aloud yourself?!?!? IDK I'm not going to try.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Listening to a book read out loud is obviously not the same as reading it, as whoever is reading will affect the text.

That in itself is a meaningless distinction as the text is affected whether it's someone else reading a book out loud and your ears sending the sounds to other parts of your brain to interpret and comprehend, or if it's your optic nerves sending the symbols on a page to other parts of your brain to interpret and comprehend. Like you said, you can "hear" text in your mind in a certain way different to other people when you're reading it, and that will affect the text.

Yeah they're "obviously" not the same experience, but it's obnoxious for people to get gatekeepery with other people's experiences of books because our language usage is imprecise. If someone watches the movie Troy, it would be ridiculous for them to say they have read the Iliad, but if they listen to an audiobook of it, it's fine, who cares.

Whether you read or listen to a book, your brain has to comprehend the actual, literal words of the text, even if the mechanism is different. Using the same word for both experiences is imprecise but does convey that you have processed the actual text itself vs. a summary, interpretation, or not at all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enfys posted:

Whether you read or listen to a book, your brain has to comprehend the actual, literal words of the text,

What?? No.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How hard is it to transfer a kindle ebook to a different ereader (I have a Kobo)? I see goons posting those $2.99 kindle sales and I want in

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jordan7hm posted:

I have a buddy who reads the book and listens to the audio at the same time and finds it helps him follow. He did this with the Baru trilogy.

I'm assuming you mean like, he reads a few chapters and then listens to the next chapter while doing chores and not literally at the same time, because I can't wrap my head around that method.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm assuming you mean like, he reads a few chapters and then listens to the next chapter while doing chores and not literally at the same time, because I can't wrap my head around that method.

Literally at the same time. I dunno I couldn’t do it either. English is his second language though so I assume that’s a factor.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Your friend is a madman

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I knew someone who read the first four harry potter books that way. And I'm assuming the rest but I don't keep people like that around.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Literally at the same time. I dunno I couldn’t do it either. English is his second language though so I assume that’s a factor.

Reading and listening to something at the same time is a known language study technique, yes.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

VostokProgram posted:

How hard is it to transfer a kindle ebook to a different ereader (I have a Kobo)? I see goons posting those $2.99 kindle sales and I want in

Unless you have the kind of ereader that can install a Kindle app, you have to strip the DRM, which is a very involved process.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

If a book is from a major publisher they usually put it on sale everywhere at the same time, like if it's on sale at Amazon also check Kobo.

Other than that, it's possible but not easy. The Calibre program has a DeDRM plugin but the easiest way to get that to work for Kindle is to have an e-ink Kindle registered to your Amazon account, because then Amazon lets you download a .azw3 file and Calibre does something with an encryption key or something on your Kindle to strip the DRM. There's also a method where you download an old version of the Kindle desktop application and use that somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The more Le Carré I read, the more I think: "this guy really wished he was Graham Greene (or, possibly, Vladimir Volkoff)". They're fine, and I could obviously be wrong, but still.

Hey I just wanna say that after I saw this post last year I decided I needed to read some Graham Greene and he's now one of my favourite authors, thank you.