Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sadly they just aired the same episodes from Friday again. They had a 4-hour Trek timeslot every weekday evening and I guess the Saturday one was for people who couldn't make the Friday one?

I can't remember why, but there was one weekend where they rebroadcast the same set of episodes a third time on the Sunday or Monday, and that's how I saw Voyager's Q pregnancy episode 3 times in about as many days. Well, it was on a TV next to my computer so I wasn't paying a lot of attention but it still wasn't one of my better decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Man I watched a lot of Star Trek on Space. I loved all the extra stuff they threw in like quick interviews with cast and crew and clips of the show about a particular topic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A whole lot of Trek episodes rely on some kind of contrivance where characters are possessed or swapped out with duplicates so actors get the opportunity to act very differently. And it's fun, but the more it happens, the more you'd think Starfleet would have policies about it.

Actual Satan posted:

Orgasmatron?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

A whole lot of Trek episodes rely on some kind of contrivance where characters are possessed or swapped out with duplicates so actors get the opportunity to act very differently. And it's fun, but the more it happens, the more you'd think Starfleet would have policies about it.

I like how in Lower Decks as soon as Tendi reports that Rutherford's acting wrong Shaxs and all just apparently just snap into crewmate-possessed-or-something security procedures. They know how this goes down.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

It’s not exactly the same, but “Non Sequitur” shows how Starfleet Intelligence responds to that sort of thing generally.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

I like how in Lower Decks as soon as Tendi reports that Rutherford's acting wrong Shaxs and all just apparently just snap into crewmate-possessed-or-something security procedures. They know how this goes down.

I mean, hell, that kind of happened with O'Brien's assassin-clone, right? Like he came back and someone said the vibes are off and everyone starts furiously trying to figure it out quietly, and by the time he's sensed the vibes are off even the sector admiral's been clued in.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Someone once said there were a bunch of "malicious imposter" episodes in the first half of first season TOS so it totally tracks that Starfleet eventually gets really good at responding to it when it happens.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 22, 2023

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MikeJF posted:

During the development of TNG they did think that more realistically by this time they wouldn't really even have consoles and stuff, they'd just be hanging out in chairs looking at the viewscreen and telling the computer stuff they want and the computer would handle everything, but they figured that that wouldn't make very good TV.
I get that, but on the other hand I'm not sure pressing a random button on a panel for everything from moving the ship to scanning to firing phasers is that much more exciting. That's probably my one complaint about the 90s Trek aesthetic is that it feels like a TV set rather than a real location a lot of the time. Like one of the things I appreciated on my most recent playthrough of the Mass Effect games is that the ship interiors have a real physicality to them; all the little bits in them look like they actually do something, with lots of distinct panels and computers and conduits all over the halls and various rooms. I'm watching Babylon 5 now as well, which I also think does a pretty good job of that. But like when Geordi needs to rewire a transporter or something, he just moves around a bunch of transparent plastic rectangles in a glowy panel, and it doesn't really convey "complicated engineering of futuristic technology" to me.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
TNG would have looked dumb if they had tried to give it a realistic, industrial aesthetic

anyway they were right, remember that time data yanked all the usb sticks out of the ship's computer

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The best TNG tech is when they take the little glass chips out of the slots and put them in other slots

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

The best TNG tech is when they take the little glass chips out of the slots and put them in other slots

Doctor Who just had an episode where they did this but the little glass chips were big wet tiles

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I get that, but on the other hand I'm not sure pressing a random button on a panel for everything from moving the ship to scanning to firing phasers is that much more exciting. That's probably my one complaint about the 90s Trek aesthetic is that it feels like a TV set rather than a real location a lot of the time. Like one of the things I appreciated on my most recent playthrough of the Mass Effect games is that the ship interiors have a real physicality to them; all the little bits in them look like they actually do something, with lots of distinct panels and computers and conduits all over the halls and various rooms. I'm watching Babylon 5 now as well, which I also think does a pretty good job of that. But like when Geordi needs to rewire a transporter or something, he just moves around a bunch of transparent plastic rectangles in a glowy panel, and it doesn't really convey "complicated engineering of futuristic technology" to me.

Puts me in mind of the Voyager episode "Extreme Risk," where they designed the Delta Flyer, and Tuvok took Tom to task for adding a bunch of nonstandard physical controls inspired by his Captain Proton program, only for Tom to counter that he was "tired of tapping panels".

Edit: Missed a few days of DS9, so I'll be playing a bit of catch up. Two episodes today, then two episodes tomorrow.

First up, we have "The Alternate," which gives us a bit more of a glimpse into Odo's past. After finally getting to meet Dr. Mora, I can't say I blame Odo for wanting to get away from the man.

Then in "Armageddon Game," we have Dr. Bashir and Chief O'Brien working to help disarm a bunch of biological weapons for a pair of previously warring alien races, now at peace with each other for the first time in centuries. A pity that the two races are so paranoid that they've decided the only way to ensure the weapons are never used again is to kill everyone who has any knowledge of their workings... including Dr. Bashir and Chief O'Brien. And of course, because O'Brien Must Suffer, he's the one that gets infected by the last of the weapons when the assassination attempt on them goes south. Thankfully, the cover up is exposed when Keiko manages to catch an important detail that shows she knows her husband better than his would be assassins did. :allears:

Good episodes all around, enjoyed getting more Odo backstory, and it's fun watching the bond between Bashir and O'Brien develop, no matter how much the Chief doesn't want it to.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 23, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Speaking of controls, I watched the DS9 episode last night where the Defiant gets hit with sabotage, and because they can't use regular communicators, everyone's talking and repeating commands, and Nog has to repeat all of Sisko's commands to Engineering. I guess they were going for like a submarine style operation, but I'm really glad it was just for the one episode (I think?). That poo poo got real old, real fast.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Maybe they should have installed a printer like the Enterprise had.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Sisko plays 2D chess? Real basic poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

The absolute best example of this is Kirk doing this, plus some weird stretches and lunges across non-sensical gaps, in Generations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Actual Satan posted:

Sisko plays 2D chess? Real basic poo poo.

It's 3d chess because he's not linear.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BonHair posted:

It's 3d chess because he's not linear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBzX1ybigmw

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Two more episodes of DS9 today.

First up we have "Whispers," an O'Brien episode where he's confronted with everyone around him acting suspiciously after returning from a trip alone to the Gamma Quadrant. Good episode, very suspenseful. I felt bad for O'Brien at the end when he learned the truth about what was going on.

Then we have "Paradise," where Sisko and O'Brien stumble across a cult led by a crazy Luddite who believes it's perfectly justified to allow the members of her community to die to prove that humans don't need technology to live happy, fulfilling lives (and is willing to torture them when they don't fall in line with what she believes is best for them). Alixus might well be one of the more reprehensible antagonists I've seen on a Star Trek series, proving once again that humanity is its own worst enemy.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
'i felt bad about what happened to the chief'

meanwhile: 'AAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGH OHG GOD MY DREAMS ARE BEING TORTURED AHHHHH'

geordi: data told me there are infinite realities

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

W.T. Fits posted:

I felt bad for O'Brien
Are you in for a ride. :allears:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
"Whispers" is probably the episode where I was 100% committed to finishing DS9. That episode really sets the tone going forward.

"Paradise" meanwhile is infuriating because I'm sure the writers intended it to be hyperbolic to nail the message home, but oops it's just exactly how leaders today act.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
this episode seemed pretty good

*huge avalanches of piss collapse from the end of the world'

'actually the visitor is one of the stronger episodes, and 'explorers' is a particular highlight also 6 part season six opener bitch bit i mention

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
which star trek is best, i loving swear

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Speaking of that kind of thing, when are they ever gonna take us back to Sigma Iotia II (aka the mobster planet)?
Apparently the comics are revisiting there at some point, but the plots of all the current comic lines sound so stupid I can't imagine it'll be fulfilling. They pull in everyone from past series in a way that puts even Picard to shame.

About half way down the page, in the description for the Star Trek: Defiant series.
https://trekmovie.com/2023/10/18/idw-nycc-panel-reveals-first-look-at-upcoming-trek-comics-including-new-sons-of-star-trek-mini-series/

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Knormal posted:

Apparently the comics are revisiting there at some point, but the plots of all the current comic lines sound so stupid I can't imagine it'll be fulfilling. They pull in everyone from past series in a way that puts even Picard to shame.

That's pretty much how the novel universe worked until they turned into a full blown Star Wars style EU when the live action stuff went into it's extended hiatus

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Seemlar posted:

That's pretty much how the novel universe worked until they turned into a full blown Star Wars style EU when the live action stuff went into it's extended hiatus
True, and I didn't read the books in that period for the same reason.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
why is every version of logic a machine has like

stupid logic that only extends for 30 minutes maximum

oh i see this version of behaviour will incite a riot, well, i'll do something else then
i supose me observing my situation calmly wouldn't make a good 4 act episode, well maybe i can casually observe
is that ilogical, no not really since i'm an embedded system inside a human being in a city
blah blah blah

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Drone is great if a little goofy.

In the Flesh is classic Trek. Loved it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

roomtone posted:

which star trek is best, i loving swear

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

In tonight's episode of DS9, "Shadowplay," we have Odo and Dax investigating mysterious disappearances in a remote colony they discover in the Gamma Quadrant. Meanwhile, back on the station, Commander Sisko wants Jake to get a job, and Quark's initial attempt to take advantage of Odo's absence gets shut down by Kira.

Loved the A plot with Odo and Dax and the villagers. I'm always a sucker for a good "this may not be life as we know it, but it is life" plotline. Also couldn't help but notice another mention of the Dominion coming up, this time as conquerors... nothing ominous at all about that. Nor anything ominous about another Gamma quadrant culture having myths about "changelings," particularly myths that portray them as evil...

Back on DS9, the C plot with Jake deciding he's not interested in joining Starfleet but being nervous about telling his dad was well done. I liked O'Brien looking out for the kid and encouraging him to be honest about what he wants, and praise the Sisko for being a good parent and accepting that his son doesn't necessarily want to follow in his footsteps when Jake finally does bring it up.

The B plot with Kira and Bareil was... eh. I have a bit of trouble buying the chemistry here, mostly because I've seen bowls of lukewarm oatmeal with more personality and life to them than Bareil has. Also feels like a bit of a waste to have Bashir bring up his espionage lessons with Garak, and then not factor at all into the reveal that Quark orchestrated Bareil's arrival on the station to distract Kira. Like, even if you have Kira still being the one to figure it out, at least give her a line during her confrontation with Quark about how Bashir was the one who caught his cousin trying to sneak back aboard again.

Solid episode overall, though.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

The thread title was once "He puts the beige in Bajor" in reference to Bareil.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

The thread title was once "He puts the beige in Bajor" in reference to Bareil.

Honestly, I'm kind of kicking myself for not naming the thread Classic Star Trek Megathread: Experience Beige!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nine-gear crow posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of kicking myself for not naming the thread Classic Star Trek Megathread: Experience Beige!

Works for Bareil, the Enterprise-D interior sets, and Voyager as a whole.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Works for Bareil, the Enterprise-D interior sets, and Voyager as a whole.

voyager isn't beige. voyager is steel-grey. it's boring and neutral, sure, but it's not beige like the D is.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It has beige vibes.

"Seven years exploring the Delta quadrant! What did you have to do to survive?"

"Well we took two aliens aboard as crew. But they left. But we got a Borg. But not like a delta quadrant alien Borg, she's also human."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Arivia posted:

voyager isn't beige. voyager is steel-grey. it's boring and neutral, sure, but it's not beige like the D is.

Not the set, the show.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Be the change you wish to see.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Beige is the idea of a colour without really being a colour, I feel like that's how most episodes of Voyager are too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Netflix Thailand has Prodigy as of today. Gonna watch the poo poo out of that with my kid.