Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

there was a critically acclaimed sequel to psychonauts released two years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

At the beginning of the flashback, we learned Kuma always wanted Nika to save him. Now we know he's the one always the one who is saving Nika. Kuma is a real hero of heroes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think Luffy's ever going to deliberately murder someone because he's a liberator. He enables other people to seek and find justice. If someone needs to die, that's up to the people he's helping, not him. If someone's going to ice Saturn, it's probably going to be Bonney and/or Bart - he'll just soften the big guy up first.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And frankly it should be one of them

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
We should be getting a leak next week but will have to wait a long time for the next chapter.

I really hope we come out of the flashback with Bonney landing a real hit on Saturn using Distorted Future, Luffy recovering and dealing with the situation, or Kuma landing out of nowhere to deal with Saturn.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think Luffy's ever going to deliberately murder someone because he's a liberator. He enables other people to seek and find justice. If someone needs to die, that's up to the people he's helping, not him. If someone's going to ice Saturn, it's probably going to be Bonney and/or Bart - he'll just soften the big guy up first.

thank you this is what i was trying to say with this post

scary ghost dog posted:

pretty much every arc has the structure of “people on island have major problem with an oppressor/exploiter/colonizer -> they exhaust every possible option available to them, up to and including suicide bombing in a few cases -> luffy arrives at the last minute and beats the bad guy up.” the night is darkest just before the dawn and all that. i think luffy beating the bad guy up has always been a metaphor for something specific but i havent totally nailed it down - nonetheless, i believe luffy outright killing someone would be prpblematic to the series-wide themes and metaphors, even if i cant really explain why

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Cornwind Evil posted:

To try and make up for the FEELS of this chapter...

I sure hope amongst all those memories Bonney didn't 'Sacha from Psychonauts' herself and see some things no child should ever see from the viewpoint of their parents.

This joke however relies on the idea that Kuma and Ginny did act like a normal couple: I can honestly see Kuma as being SO innocent they never consummated or even kissed, the 'marriage' being like their form of the ultimate platonic unity instead of a romantic one.

They were never a couple. Kuma would have wanted her to marry someone else. Kuma and Ginny being kept apart even though they loved each other is one of the worst things the WG is responsible for this arc. And then Ginny gets enslaved anyways.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 23, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kuma's entire reasoning for not marrying Ginny was because he didn't want to burden her with continuing his Buccaneer lineage, no way in hell they're loving.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Watched One Piece Film Red last night. The fights were a lot of fun and the music was good and there were some fun moments of fanservice like Usopp and Yasopp having an actual interaction but the plot felt a bit messy tbqh. I think they were trying to squeeze in too many ideas in a short period of time while also making room for all the musical segments. Tota Musica was really weird and overly-convenient as a plot device.

Those 10 seconds of animated Gear 5 were probably a lot more exciting when the movie first came out lol.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Augus posted:

Watched One Piece Film Red last night. The fights were a lot of fun and the music was good and there were some fun moments of fanservice like Usopp and Yasopp having an actual interaction but the plot felt a bit messy tbqh. I think they were trying to squeeze in too many ideas in a short period of time while also making room for all the musical segments. Tota Musica was really weird and overly-convenient as a plot device.

Those 10 seconds of animated Gear 5 were probably a lot more exciting when the movie first came out lol.

Yeah those are my feelings on the film too. Tot Musica shouldn't have been a part of the film at all, and instead Oda should have reworked the plot to just have Uta be the final villain, even though that would require a lot of rewriting for Uta's entire backstory. It just feels like a cheap copout.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

I sure hope amongst all those memories Bonney didn't 'Sacha from Psychonauts' herself and see some things no child should ever see from the viewpoint of their parents.

This joke however relies on the idea that Kuma and Ginny did act like a normal couple: I can honestly see Kuma as being SO innocent they never consummated or even kissed, the 'marriage' being like their form of the ultimate platonic unity instead of a romantic one.

don't think this merits thinking about

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, you're being weird. stop being weird.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fawf posted:

there was a critically acclaimed sequel to psychonauts released two years ago

I was wondering if I truly had become out of touch and asked all my younger cousins about this. not a single one had even heard of the series and I mean people between 20-30. I don't think double fine games are as popular as ya think

also critically acclaimed doesn't mean poo poo really since we all know mass media reviews are basically a captured industry

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I'm all for erring on the side of caution with spoiler tags, but I feel like hiding the existence of 2021 Game of the Year nominee Psychonauts 2 is a bit much.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

yeah, see kurozumi

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I was wondering if I truly had become out of touch and asked all my younger cousins about this. not a single one had even heard of the series and I mean people between 20-30. I don't think double fine games are as popular as ya think

also critically acclaimed doesn't mean poo poo really since we all know mass media reviews are basically a captured industry

Psychonauts is super popular with devs and folks in and around game dev mostly. But it has limits.

The students in my super successful University bachelors in game design haven’t heard of Myst let alone Psychonauts, visual novels, policenauts, colecovision, 9/11, gamergate, EverQuest, or any game made before they were 10 (so think about 8 years ago).

Past like 25, it starts to improve but even when those folks are graduating, the likelihood they’ve heard of any of those games is pretty much 0.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gear 5 Luffy is going to punch the robotics outta Kuma

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Infinitum posted:

It seems incredibly unlikely to happen but god, now I'm just imagining punching the electronics and bomb out of him, they end up in Saturn's hands, and we get a tiny "mother!" sign before it all explodes and covers him in soot, KOed.

I want every Gear 5 event to be as Tom and Jerry as possible.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gruckles posted:

I'm all for erring on the side of caution with spoiler tags, but I feel like hiding the existence of 2021 Game of the Year nominee Psychonauts 2 is a bit much.

Infinitum posted:

Kuma simply paw-paw's the bad robotics out of himself and regains his humanity.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

agree with this 100%

I remember long ago thinking that it was kind of lame that villains don't die in One Piece, but now that I'm older I think it's one of the strengths of the series. I like that my goofy cartoon rubber man doesn't kill people

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

why would you post this

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

take a lap

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did Bonney see Kuma poop?!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i have a feeling we will eventually learn that kuma, too, inherited some much more ancient will.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Julias posted:

Yeah those are my feelings on the film too. Tot Musica shouldn't have been a part of the film at all, and instead Oda should have reworked the plot to just have Uta be the final villain, even though that would require a lot of rewriting for Uta's entire backstory. It just feels like a cheap copout.

I kind of unironically love Tot Musica. Things like Tot Musica and the Florian Triangle shadows serve to remind the reader that things in the once piece world are weird and don't need an explanation. Sometimes your childhood friend gets possessed by a music demon. It's fine.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9_ZpqfqHFI

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdz-H62awWM
the songs in that movie definitely went way harder than I at all expected

Spanish Matlock posted:

I kind of unironically love Tot Musica. Things like Tot Musica and the Florian Triangle shadows serve to remind the reader that things in the once piece world are weird and don't need an explanation. Sometimes your childhood friend gets possessed by a music demon. It's fine.

I think mainly it's just that the way it was introduced and explained ended up being kinda clunky because the movie was trying to keep the "Is Shanks a baddie? :ohdear:" fake-out going.

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 24, 2023

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I've got a lot of thoughts after reading that last chapter, but the only one I can clearly articulate is...gently caress, man, I just feel hollow.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
best song from film red is this one https://youtu.be/6dR-Kx9ZA3s?si=EfYarQlC4K2ex5bF

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://i.imgur.com/2F6RWMe.mp4

Yikes, cool it with the slurs, Uta!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Walrus posted:

I could see a few people that Luffy would deliberately murder, like Akainu. The god of liberation can also have his own personal poo poo to deal with. Some people just gently caress up that bad.

Edit: I doubt Luffy actually does, because that's what Sabo and Garp are for. However, it's important to remember that while Kuma and other members of the religion of Nika may believe in selfless liberation of everyone, Luffy is still an inherently selfish dude. He's not out to set everyone free, he's out to be free and it just happens that people fettering others happen to try and fetter him as well.

He's not a hero, he's just a friendly guy who took a bite of gum-gum.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 24, 2023

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The method matters a lot here too: I think Luffy could like punch Akainu so hard he flies into the ocean or whatever, I can’t see him grabbing him with his giant Nika hand and twisting his head off or whatever

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think it's more likely that Sabo fights/kills Akainu than Luffy

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

That or they end up in some situation where Akainu would survive if he accepted Luffy's help but refuses. Or maybe Kuzan or Garp takes him out in a mutual kill.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I feel like aramamki and issho were designed to fight Sanji and Zoro respectively and oda mention a VA (chaton) that was up for the admiral position who could replace borsalino so idk.

I'm wondering if the newer zodiac characters were designed to fight the strawhats in general

anime was right fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 24, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

anime was right posted:

I feel like aramamki and issho were designed to fight Sanji and Zoro respectively and oda mention a VA (chaton) that was up for the admiral position who could replace borsalino so idk.

I'm wondering if the newer zodiac characters were designed to fight the strawhats in general

Honestly I could see Borsalino finally going 'oh gently caress this' and either defecting/retiring/getting killed after this Arc too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-1102/chapter/41190?action=read

Merry Christmas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Your death is a nuisance to every person who's known and loved you :smith:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Nuisance????? Come on!! They have to do better than that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

That's dog poo poo