Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, it's the last time he'll do anything in the entire series, might as well give him a fun close out.
Sounds like you aren't able to clap with your soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

this all kinda makes me wonder if jjk will be remembered as mid. I think there's still room to cook but I'm not going to pretend Culling Game doesn't have issues

As long as Gege nails the ending in a meaningful way that gives Yuji/Megumi/Sukuna/Kenjaku proper closure then I think the series will mostly be remembered fondly, even if it isn't put up there with the greats of shonen anime/manga.

However, if the ending winds up being petty mediocre or flat out bad, it will probably wind up getting the "Bleach was good until soul society" treatment. "JJK was good until Shibuya."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I will say that sometimes I feel like people either forget about Junpei or just kinda miss that his arc was very much a tone-setter: You have a kid get bullied, abused, manipulated, grotesquely mutilated and then killed while two primary antagonists straight-up share a maniacal laugh in Yuji's face about the fact that one of them is committing the murder and the other isn't going to do a thing about it even though he could. It's probably one of the worst things I've seen happen to a character in a shonen, and I'm struggling to come up with much that's really comparable. And I just kind of can't understand getting thru that and then getting pissed at the mulching in Shibuya. That arc made it very clear what kind of manga this was gonna be.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jerkface posted:

Reading Shibuya was cool nobara excepting. However it is also contingent on the follow up being good. Culling game hugely dumb. Sours Shibuya in retrospect. Oh we had to endure all that and all we get is this now? Gross!

The Kenjaku reveal is still stupid and would have benefit from some extended flashbacks to his time across the centuries.

The ultimate motivation of destroying humanity because itd be funny or interesting is amusing, but not enough to forgive the treatment of the cast.

I think you're all dumb as heck and the culling game has been fun as poo poo.

Like you all seem to have a weird idea what the series was before shibuya cause the major antagonists were introduced immolating random waitresses and setting up a young man to turn into a horrid twisted freak after indulging his wishes of mutilating the people he hated in his life.

Its the show where one characters big fight moment was her wholehearted willingness to hammer nails into her own bones to stun lock her opponents and the entire moral lesson from the start was "If you want to be a good person, don't be a sorcerer. You will die young and with regrets and will find very little peace in this world and you will need to abandon your humanity and sense to grow truly 'Strong' " And of course the second poo poo starts moving many many of them find themselves maimed or dead or worse.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 24, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

the culling game has a bunch of cool individual things surrounded by some of the most uneven and stupid plotting imaginable

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jerkface posted:

the culling game has a bunch of cool individual things surrounded by some of the most uneven and stupid plotting imaginable

It's not even on the low end of middle tier for shonen action plotting man. I'm sorry you're mad but that's just not true.

For fucks sake, much more popular manga MHA has spent like the last 3 years on maybe 10 plot points and half of them are dead stops in the pacing to give the equivalent of Sumo Guy a sudden character arc and moment in the middle of the final battle. To think this even ranks is just silly.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 24, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not even on the low end of middle tier for shonen action plotting man. I'm sorry you're mad but that's just not true.

For fucks sake, much more popular manga MHA has spent like the last 3 years on maybe 10 plot points and half of them are dead stops in the pacing to give the equivalent of Sumo Guy a sudden character arc and moment in the middle of the final battle. To think this even ranks is just silly.

I mean that is literally what the last two fights have been in JJK. You can argue about execution but we're focusing on minor characters getting a huge push.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I mean that is literally what the last two fights have been in JJK. You can argue about execution but we're focusing on minor characters getting a huge push.

No it's not, the character was the actual focus of at least a small arc and a major conflict that had a big character moment for Yuji.

that's not the same as The guy with octopuss arms and the rock guy suddenly interrupting the climaxic final fight and open jean heart surgery to get an arc to themselves after having making 30 lines between them for hte whole manga. You're really stretching 'minor' to try and make it fit when he's not minor he's just newer to the story

Has Deku even ever spoken to the rock kid directly once?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

MHA lost me a long time ago dont worry about that. I am not looking at this relatively. I am just saying i think on its own the writing and plotting of the CG has been trash. If you want relative you wouldn't say it's on par with chainsaw man, dandadan, hxh, or one piece would ya?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

All over your shoe, yes.

Culling Games were random new assholes getting introduced, having Calvinball fights with each other or the established cast, and then dying or not before moving on to the next round of Calvinball, with points following the Who's Line standard.

Bringing up Junpei is showing exactly how later JJK fails, because that was about death with consequences. People cared, there was buildup, there was emotional payoff, there was time to mourn.

Shibuya on, deaths just get tossed aside and we go to the next round of smashing action figures against each other.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
there are other shonen that aren't BHA

hard to believe, but it is true

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I'm aware, a lot of their pacing is also bad. That's why I said the bit about the CUlling game arc's not being even ranked as far as that's concerned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No it's not, the character was the actual focus of at least a small arc and a major conflict that had a big character moment for Yuji.

that's not the same as The guy with octopuss arms and the rock guy suddenly interrupting the climaxic final fight and open jean heart surgery to get an arc to themselves after having making 30 lines between them for hte whole manga. You're really stretching 'minor' to try and make it fit when he's not minor he's just newer to the story

Has Deku even ever spoken to the rock kid directly once?

I will phrase it 100% like this: The twinkling belly button dude has gotten more screentime and focus than Judgeman has even before his big plot twist. And I like Judgeman, he was my favorite part of the culling game, but he was only barely more relevant than the Sumo Guy until just now and I don't think anyone would have blinked if the end of his arc was 'turns himself in'

I don't mind minor characters getting focus though. It is one of my favorite things in Shonen. I get way more hype when a smaller character gets a chance to shine. I don't consider 'we focus on someone besides Protag, Designated Rival or Fan Favorite' as wasted time.

poo poo half the reason I love Fullmetal Alchemist more than most series is because loving *everyone* gets to shine. I loved Chimera Ants and almost none of the main cast is involved with like half the final fight.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 24, 2023

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Shinjobi posted:

Bad hero academia

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Like you all seem to have a weird idea what the series was before shibuya cause the major antagonists were introduced immolating random waitresses and setting up a young man to turn into a horrid twisted freak after indulging his wishes of mutilating the people he hated in his life.

Its the show where one characters big fight moment was her wholehearted willingness to hammer nails into her own bones to stun lock her opponents and the entire moral lesson from the start was "If you want to be a good person, don't be a sorcerer. You will die young and with regrets and will find very little peace in this world and you will need to abandon your humanity and sense to grow truly 'Strong' " And of course the second poo poo starts moving many many of them find themselves maimed or dead or worse.

Yes but the things you’re describing right here is not why the culling game is bad.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I just want to know what the US stock market is like without the super energy CE jucing up the economy to make up for japan being a wasteland

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I want Maki and Yuta to kiss, there I said it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
jujutsu kaisen isnt bad. its ten times better than my hero academia, which i consider to be the worst popular manga. however, JJK is only half as good as chainsaw man, which in turn is maybe five percent as good as one piece. so, there is room for improvement

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

Gologle posted:

deeply twisted sentiment but i can't deny that at this point it WOULD fit the trajectory of the series

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I don't know why you want to compare the story to other manga when the problem most people really have is that writing has gotten shoddier since after Shibuya.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gologle posted:

I would settle for a gentle smile between the two of them as they beat up a bear or something

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I rank JJK on the lower end of the Best Shonens like One Piece and CSM. I really liked everything post Shibuya so it’s gone up a lot, but I don’t think it’ll breach those two series.

I compare it more to stuff like Bleach, and I think JJK blows that series out of the water. It’s basically everything I wanted out of Bleach that I couldn’t get: consistent underlying themes, big cast of side characters, and cool bankai/domain expansion poses, but with a coherent battle system and the characters actually fighting with awesome choreography rather than just iai-style 1 shots with surprised faces and heh, nothing personal kid.

I want to see my action figures smash into each other more than once.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I figured they were more into twinks myself

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blockhouse posted:

Agreed. Watching the anime with the knowledge of where things go just really highlights all the negative aspects. We watch the entire cast get poo poo on for an arc and the payoff is...they go fight a bunch of bit characters who mostly don't matter so they can go onto the final arc where they all get poo poo on again. Cool.

The big thing I'm getting from the adaptation of Shibuya is that a lot of my issues with JJK started earlier than I realized.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

An unbelievable feast for the Higuruma heads. God I love him so much. The lay off to him thinking he had understood the basics of amplification when watching Gojo fight. He is the man!!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think itd be really sick and funny if the comedian and lawyer guy introduced in this arc with the gimmickiest powers were the ones to defeat the overarching villains of the series and we're already 50% of the way there

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

IMO Higuruma's past was probably the single best chapter of JJK and I've been invested in him since he's shown up. I was really glad to see him show up in the peanut gallery for the Gojo fight instead of being done after the Yuji fight. IMO he's been paying off really well. I like his talent being compared to Gojo because he's growth has been insane. Especially as he's figured it all out solo. I'm also a big Hakari fan so for me a lot of the new cast has owned even though I miss Nobara and Todo. The latter I find it very odd has never been mentioned at all. I really like Uraume comparing Hakari to Heian era sorcerers more than modern day ones.

I didn't really like the weapon confiscation wrinkle. It felt logical and clicked together well (including why they hadn't thought to consider it) but it still was an unsatisfying narrative resolution. Sukuna not fighting the charges because he wanted to see the sword was sick though. I like much more where this latest chapter went. I do feel some nervousness about Sukuna taking the Executioners Sword or copying it but tbh I don't think that would make anything worse for that gang than it is now.

Kusakabe just showing up to tank huge hits from big bads is so sick lol. He's cool. Also honestly mad respect to Ino for fighting in this. Was sick of him being a ratbag about Gojo during those discussions but he's cool again now.

I'm curious if Sukuna has his domain expansion back or not. Is he just having fun (quite possible) or he can't just nuke them all right now. I wonder if the Nanami sword is to set up a Gojo cursed object turn. Sukuna also still has his fire. God there is so much lol. I'm very stressed each week.

I hope Higuruma doesn't die. Not just because he's probably my favourite character now. I feel like someone (Yuji) believing in him and that he can atone in living would be a suitable part of his arc.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I feel like receiving hype like "could he be Gojo tier??" is almost so big a death flag that it might be subverted.

Next chapter opening on a peaceful flashback with an inner monologue from Sukuna about how many promising upstarts like Higuruma he's ground into dust:

Hopefully something more interesting happens!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tosk posted:

I feel like receiving hype like "could he be Gojo tier??" is almost so big a death flag that it might be subverted.

Next chapter opening on a peaceful flashback with an inner monologue from Sukuna about how many promising upstarts like Higuruma he's ground into dust:

It turns out the flashback is from Sukuna at the airport.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

It turns out the flashback is from Sukuna at the airport.

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I agree that his death feels so in the fore that it just being that straight would be lame. Like him dying in the final battle is fine but feeling the need to foreshadow it so bluntly would be bizarre.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

He is going to come full circle to the death penalty being unjust.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Good thing Maki's handy with a sword and fine with waxing fools.

Maybe it's just coincidental but given that she hasn't had a role yet, and the fact that both use swords, mean there's some kind of complicated hand-off/merger in the works, like they're counting on Sukuna to be able to co-opt the Executioner's Sword so they can call in Maki to do something about it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tosk posted:

He's going to surpass gojo alright

He'll be cut into three pieces.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jerkface posted:

He is going to come full circle to the death penalty being unjust.

Binding demons for seeming eternity is always easier than outright killing them so it tracks

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think the "can kill Sukuna without killing Megumi" will hopefully result in Higuruma expelling Sukuna from Megumi's body even if he dies to do it. Though with how everything in the culling game has gone they're just going to kill Megumi in a classic case of

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

JahRoo posted:

Assume nanamis sword having his technique is just a bit of hand wavy “cursed objects are the remains of powerful sorcerers” combined with like, him getting soul exploded in proximity to his weapon.

I just assumed some cursed weapons are created as a dying wish through a binding vow e.g. Yorozu's gift. It is not hard to imagine that Nanami created his own curse weapon through a binding vow upon his death so that his juniors can make use of his technique after death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I think the "can kill Sukuna without killing Megumi" will hopefully result in Higuruma expelling Sukuna from Megumi's body even if he dies to do it. Though with how everything in the culling game has gone they're just going to kill Megumi in a classic case of

Megumi is freed, promptly kills himself.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Good thing Maki's handy with a sword and fine with waxing fools.

Maybe it's just coincidental but given that she hasn't had a role yet, and the fact that both use swords, mean there's some kind of complicated hand-off/merger in the works, like they're counting on Sukuna to be able to co-opt the Executioner's Sword so they can call in Maki to do something about it.

Lamebot posted:

Maki should womanhandle Higaruma into slashing Sukuna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lamebot posted:

Maki should womanhandle Higaruma into slashing Sukuna

The funny thing is that this is unironically a decent idea. One of the physically powerful characters (namely Maki, but I guess Yuuji could also pull this off) carrying Higuruma and helping him avoid Sukuna's attacks + get him into range.