Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm glad the oilers could make Rangers and Devils fans happy by whipping both teams as a Christmas gift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'll buy a gift cert for a new avatar to the first rangers fan who wants that face as the image. It's too great to be quickly forgotten.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm glad the oilers could make Rangers and Devils fans happy by whipping both teams as a Christmas gift

Oilers continue to be the most entertaining team, whichever side of the win they are on.

It would be tragic for that team to miss the playoffs (even if they are bounced in round 1). How good do they have to be to make it? We’re 30-35 games in and I think they’re at .500.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

Oilers continue to be the most entertaining team, whichever side of the win they are on.

It would be tragic for that team to miss the playoffs (even if they are bounced in round 1). How good do they have to be to make it? We’re 30-35 games in and I think they’re at .500.

.500 might be good enough to get in to be honest. The west is pretty dire this year.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
31 games into the season and Edmonton are worse than the Pens which is a big lol...but the West is extremely dire so who knows.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Jets lead the Central and the Canucks lead the Pacific.

Things everyone expected in the western conference this year.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Escape Goat posted:

I’d think the top 3 in each division are going to probably stay the same, but those wild card spots could be hotly contested. The teams that can run out the rest of the season with a .625 pts % are probably the two making it. The central is tight ish with four teams for it, but Edmonton and maybe Calgary are in for a shot for it. Unless some team gets stupid hot and goes on a major tear I’d expect both wild card teams in the west to bounce in the 1st round.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Furnaceface posted:

The Jets lead the Central and the Canucks lead the Pacific.

Things everyone expected in the western conference this year.

Canucks leading the league right now.

I fully expect them to get stomped by the Sharks tonight.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Vancouver Canucks in the Presidents Trophy driver's seat on Christmas, just as everyone predicted.

I miss ThinkTank.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Dallas just scored 2 goals in the final 15 seconds of the game to beat Nashville 3-2. Not great, Nashville.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

NYR 1st in the league :discourse:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/ginohard_/status/1738730745156288888?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

https://x.com/ginohard_/status/1738763841356386579?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Double Michigan night

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

LOL at Justin Faulk standing there just outside the crease watching the opposition goal being scored, as always.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

Double Michigan night

Don Cherry must be spinning in his grave.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Canucks are the best team in the nhl.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Going to laugh when Canucks win the division and end up having to play Edmonton and get McDavid’d while the winner of the central will get to play Arizona.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

VOTE1 posted:

Going to laugh when Canucks win the division and end up having to play Edmonton and get McDavid’d while the winner of the central will get to play Arizona.

no you wont dude

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

heehee posted:

no you wont dude

Depends if the Canucks are able to be allowed to play 3-5 more games than most other teams. Ofcourse it’s more likely the standings reflect true talent at the end of the season, and the Canucks will likely get bounced by LA in the first round, or if LA finish top they will almost certainly get bounced by Vegas (Canucks would have a better chance vs LA, LA has limited playoff experience and in goal will be a potential weakness).

But where’s the fun in predicting that.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
The Canucks (and the Knights) could be behind Boston, NYR, and one or two others once they catch up in GP, but it's a double-edged sword in that they've had to play more games. I don't know how it's been balanced for Vegas, but the Canucks had to play 7 games in 11 days, which I actually don't know if I've ever seen happen watching this team over the years. They went 3-4 in that stretch, and are 20-5-3 outside of it. And their schedule should theoretically be a little lighter down the stretch comparitively.

And teams still haven't figured out to just match their top line against Tyler Myers. It really isn't rocket science.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

While I’m making unlikely predictions for 4 month away, if (and yes big if) Canucks haven’t dropped off, in March and early April they play LA and Vegas 7 times combined for some potential high leverage games.

A good potential comedy end to the season would involve Arizona playing Edmonton in their last and third last games to determine who gets the 8th spot.

Random mostly unrelated question, does anyone know what the win percentage is for a team playing a back to back with travel? Surely it must be around 25%. I guess it helps with ‘parity’ if every team gets a couple of schedule wins and losses..

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I remember reading a few years ago that the overall win% on the back end of a back-to-back is around 40%, and only that high because you're sometimes matched against a team that's in the same situation.

Most btbs involve travel, both ends being at home is rare.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The Canucks are going to make it to the finals.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Despite their best efforts to the contrary, the New York Islanders Hockey Club is in sole possession of 2nd place in the Metropolitan Division

How the gently caress did that happen??

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mr. Fish posted:

Despite their best efforts to the contrary, the New York Islanders Hockey Club is in sole possession of 2nd place in the Metropolitan Division

They have a poo poo ton of loser points

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
sorry, the Oilers are bad. they're missing the playoffs unless they trade 3 first round picks for a goalie and it rules

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

mennoknight posted:

sorry, the Oilers are bad. they're missing the playoffs unless they trade 3 first round picks for a goalie and it rules

ya lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

mennoknight posted:

MAF's NHL journey ends in Edmonton

Mr. Fish posted:

The Metro sucks now. The Penguins finally collapsed, the Hurricanes crumbled a year ahead of schedule (that team is completely turbofucked and will probably be in the lottery next year), the Devils have had a lot of injuries and have no goalies and played over their heads last year. The Rangers are the only good team in the Metro and just playing boring as hell Grind These Bitches Down Block All The Shots hockey is good enough for 2nd/3rd in that division.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 24, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Jonathan Huberdeau has 0 points in the 10 games the Flames have played in December.. 4 goals, 11 assists for 15 points total in 34 games (and minus 14 lol).

He's signed for 10.5 mill a season through 2030-31.. we're kind of going into uncharted territory here w.r.t. bad contracts.. don't think a 10+ million dollar player has ever busted anywhere close to this hard before.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

Nah

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Starsfan posted:

Jonathan Huberdeau has 0 points in the 10 games the Flames have played in December.. 4 goals, 11 assists for 15 points total in 34 games (and minus 14 lol).

He's signed for 10.5 mill a season through 2030-31.. we're kind of going into uncharted territory here w.r.t. bad contracts.. don't think a 10+ million dollar player has ever busted anywhere close to this hard before.

You could get two Loui Erikssons for that

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Starsfan posted:

Its gonna be lol when calgary cuts bait at 50% retention and what they have to give up to dump his contract

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

stab posted:

Its gonna be lol when calgary cuts bait at 50% retention and what they have to give up to dump his contract

They're stuck with him until the next expansion draft, but Huberdeau is gonna lead the scoring of the Atlanta Phoenixes

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Mike Works posted:

The Canucks (and the Knights) could be behind Boston, NYR, and one or two others once they catch up in GP, but it's a double-edged sword in that they've had to play more games. I don't know how it's been balanced for Vegas, but the Canucks had to play 7 games in 11 days, which I actually don't know if I've ever seen happen watching this team over the years. They went 3-4 in that stretch, and are 20-5-3 outside of it. And their schedule should theoretically be a little lighter down the stretch comparitively.

And teams still haven't figured out to just match their top line against Tyler Myers. It really isn't rocket science.

The Canucks schedule has been pretty wild, especially for a Pacific team with that kind of travel schedule.

They've played FIVE back to backs already, Edmonton just played their FIRST on Saturday.

So Edmonton is .500 without even counting the schedule losses that every NHL team has.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Oilers also play something like 65% of their remaining games against teams outside the playoffs

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

disrespectful

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Oilers also play something like 65% of their remaining games against teams outside the playoffs

Yeahs pretty sweet to only have back to backs vs basement teams

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Eric the Mauve posted:

MAF's NHL journey ends in Edmonton

I'm down with MAF leading McDavid to his first cup.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

Don Cherry must be spinning in his grave.

Didn't we used to have a gif of Don Cherry shaking his fist saying "dose guys!"

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Why were the Canes expected to fall apart soon? I was under the impression that they were a perennial contender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

DancingMachine posted:

Why were the Canes expected to fall apart soon? I was under the impression that they were a perennial contender.

It's hard for any team to win with some of the worst goaltending the the league. Andersen is out long-term (not that he was lighting the world on fire before he went on LTIR), Kochetkov has been inconsistent, and Raanta was quite probably the worst goaltender in the NHL before he was shipped off to the AHL.

What everyone expected to be their weakness (goal scoring) has actually been quite good as they are 9th in the league in GF despite mediocre shooting %, and still near the top in 5v5 xGF%. But the defense has been much worse than expected (Burns is cooked, Pesce is playing is way out of town, and the new additions haven't gelled in the way everyone had hoped) and of course it's tough to out score the worst goaltending in the league.

The game last night against the Isles is the perfect example. They scored 4 goals on 4.17 expected while limiting the Isles to 2.66 xGF, a game that should be won 9 times out of 10, but Kochetkov let in three absolute howlers and the Canes didn't even muster a point out of it. Needing to score 5 or 6 goals per game to outpace lovely goaltending is not really a recipe for success.