Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I fell into the old rear end model kit trap again! I got my wires crossed because there's two 1/72 Battle Pods out there. Hasegawa's got a brand new one, while Bandai's is a reprint of a 1982 model. Looks like the Dugger prepared me for it though and I'm more in a mindset to be able to tackle such an old kit.

I also did a fit together for the Nyuren which is a very handsome kit. The wrists and hands freak me the hell out though, they're so skinny and the wrist is like extra articulated so it can do 90` bends. It's got a lot of unusual construction compared to most gunpla I've built. It'll sit a bit til I can think of a nice color scheme for it :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I have a few old.. old.. old. bandai macross kits.

They are, to say the least, a project. They look good enough if you put in a modicum of effort.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In the bottom left of the photo you see parts of the hip assembly. It is held together with only hopes and dreams.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

To be fair to Bandai, I've built some kits from over 30 years ago that hold up shockingly well.

You really have to go back to get their stuff that needs glue.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I've built the Hasegawa Regult and while it's probably better, it still feels exactly like a snap kit made by a company that almost exclusively produces traditional model kits. It looks really nice but the engineering is just not there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Working through it and it's pretty much the same issues as the Dugger. There's no way to test assemble it or have it easily taken apart without modification because a lot of parts rely entirely on glue to hold together. Makes refinement, finishing and painting a real pain. I've slightly modified it a bit so some things can come loose but there's still enough of it just requiring irreversible steps. Bafflingly it's also got a gimmick hatch that has articulation, swinging back to reveal a jagged rectangular hole into the raw model interior. It's not even the right shape for the hatch! Why is it even here hahahaha.

On the other hand the details are really nice and crisp. Its also very nostalgic. :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbu07cj2LGk
Video mainly about the newer one but also comparing to the Bandai one side by side. So yeah, the engineering on the Hasegawa is the superior one, but something about the details and overall proportions just looks off? Like it's horizontally squished. Its what mainly prompted me to get the Bandai one. Headaches aside it'll be a nice kit once finished.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/gundampixel/status/1738177895569531391?t=cJsJXyfo6vy5QgN6o57zkQ&s=19

MSV Witch P Bandai when.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Looks like you can make that by giving the thorn the arms and lower legs of the gundvolva

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kantesu posted:

It's a Jegan with a rocket-propelled Bat'leth
:gizz: Truly an honorable mech.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

drat, newest member of the monoeye club is huge. Making decent progress and decided to modify the body to leg connection to a peg to make it detachable and allowing me to put it together.

lmao at this circular socket I'm supposed to plug a nozzle into though. I'm going to have to drill it out

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 23, 2023

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Let a rounded file enter into your life

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tin Tim posted:

Let a rounded file enter into your life

Weird. My copy of that kit was from a better run, lucky me!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The hole on the other leg is basically perfect. Overall though the worst fits are on the lower legs and the main body. Unsurprising because they're huge.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

got a solid runner organizer for xmas and gifted myself a really nice tool caddy from etsy. a good haul for organization

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

me: father our days of taking up half the table with a mountain of plastic crap are over

father (drunk): ....what?

me: the models

father: no, no more zakus

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I was 100% serious btw. The basic tamiya file set was a great purchase for me. You'll probably get the stuff much cheaper but those three shapes are super useful tools for model building

Buck Wildman posted:

father: no, no more zakus
We all say things we don't mean when drunk :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've already got a file set. The hole is only 5mm deep though and its meant for a lovely ball-socket jet that just rattles around in there. I'm going to mod that into a more stable fixed joint.

Rebuilt the connectors, filled in some hinge gaps. Also bread clips (at least here) are a great source of flat small thick sheets of ps, making up a plentiful source of patch material. :v Original joint is in the instructions. Thats a one way trip for all those parts.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 24, 2023

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

That's my kind of content :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

one day I'll build an entire model out of bread clips.

this is a threat.

Anyway sprue goo, is there any commercial product that's faster drying? I've got a nice batch of acetone / ps diy mix which has great qualities but the big drawback to it is it can take days to a week to completely solidfy particularly for big patches. I've also tried ps/extra thin cement which gave a way runnier material. Dries faster but only because I cant really make thick patches with it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
After Hasegawa going on my shitlist, I got given a Hasegawa kit for Christmas lmao

It's an eggbot for kids called MechatroWeGo and the box seems to be drawn by the Nichijou person, so maybe it's good! Sadly not one of the versions that come with a little Nano or Hakase but it is cute.

Think I'm gonna do Exodia first though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've seen those around, pretty cute but not my kinda thing!

I've noticed that Surugaya also sells lots of kit accessories!

https://www.suruga-ya.com/en/products?keyword=modeling+support+goods&btn_search=&sort=price_asc

Like do you just need a really nice pile bunker?
https://www.suruga-ya.com/en/product/603153847

Or a big rear end fist?
https://www.suruga-ya.com/en/product/603073842

or just a whole bunch of greebles, looks like its all there.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

After Hasegawa going on my shitlist, I got given a Hasegawa kit for Christmas lmao

It's an eggbot for kids called MechatroWeGo and the box seems to be drawn by the Nichijou person, so maybe it's good! Sadly not one of the versions that come with a little Nano or Hakase but it is cute.

Think I'm gonna do Exodia first though.

I built a set of Mecatro WeGos and didn't have any trouble. They're cute little kits. Maybe a few tiny parts, but I don't think you'll have a terrible time with it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

fin funnels more like fiddly funnels

this nu gundam is definitely going to need a base.

edit: wait i'm dumb i have an ACB-5 from the GGG kit i didn't use :toot:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 24, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Patched up the terrible slots on the main guns so they're way less visible, added venting detail (there's just a peg hole in a flat space otherwise?) and tried to patch over the slots on the top of the lower leg but those immediately popped off at the slightest sign of the legs bending, so I'd to give that up. Otherwise, ready for paint. :3

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've seen those around, pretty cute but not my kinda thing!

I've noticed that Surugaya also sells lots of kit accessories!

https://www.suruga-ya.com/en/products?keyword=modeling+support+goods&btn_search=&sort=price_asc

Like do you just need a really nice pile bunker?
https://www.suruga-ya.com/en/product/603153847

Or a big rear end fist?
https://www.suruga-ya.com/en/product/603073842

or just a whole bunch of greebles, looks like its all there.

Those are Kotobukiya accessories for Frame Arms, as an FYI

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For the person who is building a monoeye crew, I present the Juaggu: https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2166499001007

E: the trunk has a wire in it so you can bend it how you like

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Merry Christmas, every one of us.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

day one preorder, finger on the trigger

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

To be fair to Bandai, I've built some kits from over 30 years ago that hold up shockingly well.

You really have to go back to get their stuff that needs glue.

I pulled this one off the shelf last weekend. Very few alignment pin. Most of the surface details are supposed to be glued to faint raised outlines on the hull.
It really makes you appreciate modern kits.
I really do like the design though. There are eight more kits from this line sitting on the shelf to tackle after this one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yea. Older models arent so bad as long as you go in with the expectation of the quality and engineering available at the time. I didnt have too bad of a time with the Regult pod since the Xabungle kit got me in the mood to fix those kind of things, and I learned to remove parts and make my own joints for it. Its definitely not a one day assembly job like modern HGs.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those are Kotobukiya accessories for Frame Arms, as an FYI

Yeah I kinda figured. Found that 'detail up parts' produces good results too!

https://www.suruga-ya.com/en/products?keyword=detail+up++parts&btn_search=

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 25, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FiendishThingy posted:

I pulled this one off the shelf last weekend. Very few alignment pin. Most of the surface details are supposed to be glued to faint raised outlines on the hull.
It really makes you appreciate modern kits.
I really do like the design though. There are eight more kits from this line sitting on the shelf to tackle after this one.

I really wish Bandai would do more ships. I'd pay a lot of money for a White Base big enough to sit my HG Gundams on.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Going into my christmas vacation, I only had my PG Phenex left in my backlog.

I now have a much larger backlog.

The Phenex itself is also coming along nicely.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Nuebot posted:

I really wish Bandai would do more ships. I'd pay a lot of money for a White Base big enough to sit my HG Gundams on.

;_; Bandai barely gave the Gatlantis fleet anything, nevermind the latest bad guys from the movie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

It would be like six feet long, the Gundam Collection 1/400 was already one of the largest boxes they'd put out at the time.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I've finally picked up a HG Geara Doga and it's everything I hoped it would be. Posing the shield with the Sturm Fausts is kinda akward and the clip for the shield is questionable too but the suit itself is incredible. The apex of grunt suits imo :black101:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Geara Doga is a big beauty. I also got the Geaea Zulu which is decent but is prefer the Guards Version P Bandai or the flying rose petal Rozen Zulu.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

It would be like six feet long, the Gundam Collection 1/400 was already one of the largest boxes they'd put out at the time.

They released just the launch bays for a few ships. They're massive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

They released just the launch bays for a few ships. They're massive.

A few years ago SCGMC exhibited a scratch built 1/100 Salamis that was the size of a kayak.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Midjack posted:

My cats could also sleep in it, they could share the gundam room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

loving lol the juaggu instantly presold out rip