Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Interesting thing I've just learned. I'm on vacation now in the Dominican and I didn't take my phone out of airplane mode since I've left Toronto. Got wifi at the hotel and I don't need more than that.

The weather app knows where I am and has the local weather report. The clock, however, thinks I'm still in Toronto and didn't change. My wife has a pixel, same behavior as my samsung, so I cannot just blame them for this.

Would have thought that wifi is enough to determine the location, for timezone purposes, but I guess it isn't. If they don't have access to a carrier, the timezone just doesn't change .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mental Hospitality posted:

Got my Pixel 8 Pro today (it is a nice phone!) but not the trade in kit. Does that come separately?

My trade-in kit came two days after the P8P via UPS. The only thing I can advise is that you read the included directions very carefully as it seems like it's a "test" to see how good you are at following directions. The return shipping label (also UPS) is on a sticker behind the label. I also used some bubble wrap inside the package because the padded envelope they give you will rattle around inside the box and I didn't want to give them any cause to claim the phone had gotten damaged in transit from getting pinballed around in the box.

Also, if you sign up for an account at FedEx and UPS (it's free) you can get an email heads-up about any shipments headed your way. USPS has a similar system called "Informed Delivery."

bull3964 posted:

Android can download carrier apps upon SIM install.

My new P8P *mostly* worked by my putting my Verizon SIM in, but I had to formally remove my P5 and auth my new P8P as its replacement on my line through the VZW website before SMS texts would work. Data, voice, and RCS texts worked without doing that, but I couldn't receive SMS until I jumped through those hoops.

I've even confirmed that I can receive 5GUW...in the errant and apparently six-foot-wide spots where it works even in Northern Virginia.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 24, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My new P8P *mostly* worked by my putting my Verizon SIM in, but I had to formally remove my P5 and auth my new P8P as its replacement on my line through the VZW website before SMS texts would work. Data, voice, and RCS texts worked without doing that, but I couldn't receive SMS until I jumped through those hoops.

I've even confirmed that I can receive 5GUW...in the errant and apparently six-foot-wide spots where it works even in Northern Virginia.

That's weird. I didn't have to do any of that. My Google store P8P fired up perfectly right out of the gate using the SIM from my P6P.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Volguus posted:

Interesting thing I've just learned. I'm on vacation now in the Dominican and I didn't take my phone out of airplane mode since I've left Toronto. Got wifi at the hotel and I don't need more than that.

The weather app knows where I am and has the local weather report. The clock, however, thinks I'm still in Toronto and didn't change. My wife has a pixel, same behavior as my samsung, so I cannot just blame them for this.

Would have thought that wifi is enough to determine the location, for timezone purposes, but I guess it isn't. If they don't have access to a carrier, the timezone just doesn't change .

GPS isn't disabled by airplane mode as it is a passive receiver and doesn't emit signals. By default phones are usually set to get time automatically from the cellular network but time zone based on location might be set to off.

So, if you connect to the cell network it will set the set the time but if you don't have "Use Location to set Time Zone" turned on, it won't adjust the time zone automatically based on GPS signal.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

bull3964 posted:

GPS isn't disabled by airplane mode as it is a passive receiver and doesn't emit signals. By default phones are usually set to get time automatically from the cellular network but time zone based on location might be set to off.

So, if you connect to the cell network it will set the set the time but if you don't have "Use Location to set Time Zone" turned on, it won't adjust the time zone automatically based on GPS signal.

Hah, that worked. Was not even aware of that option. It took a while to think about the meaning of life, the universe, and everything, but after an hour or so, it finally switched the time.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sometimes when I'm on a flight, and in airplane mode, I can open Google Maps and it will show my position and update as I move. But on some flights, it's stuck at my departure airport. What's up with that?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a way for me to quickly check if a used phone I bought is locked out? What does that even mean, anyway? I've bought phones from this kiosk in the mall over the past few months and I've just had poo poo luck, the last two have gone to 'no service'/'emergency calls only'... when I brought them back to the kiosk the guys there explained it had something to do with "the previous owner didn't pay a bill" or something but why the gently caress does that mean I get shafted and locked out of my phone? They've replaced them for free both times but it's a pain in the rear end...

And now the latest one I got from them, a totally different brand, is giving me one bar when connected to wifi, no service otherwise. I'm loving pissed, if I have to replace my phone a third time in the past four months what the gently caress. What is going on and can I check this status myself without having to go back?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a way for me to quickly check if a used phone I bought is locked out? What does that even mean, anyway? I've bought phones from this kiosk in the mall over the past few months and I've just had poo poo luck, the last two have gone to 'no service'/'emergency calls only'... when I brought them back to the kiosk the guys there explained it had something to do with "the previous owner didn't pay a bill" or something but why the gently caress does that mean I get shafted and locked out of my phone? They've replaced them for free both times but it's a pain in the rear end...

And now the latest one I got from them, a totally different brand, is giving me one bar when connected to wifi, no service otherwise. I'm loving pissed, if I have to replace my phone a third time in the past four months what the gently caress. What is going on and can I check this status myself without having to go back?

Buy from somewhere that doesn't let people sell phones that are parts of payment plans and offer buyer protections. Swappa has been 100% dependable out of the two dozen phones I've bought from there. They have safeguards in place plus PayPal's protections.

I want to say that your scenario could probably happen from Swappa or anywhere else, but much less likely than a sketchy mall kiosk.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK, I appreciate that, but what I'm asking is if there's a way for me to check at home that this phone is hosed like my last two. I'm taking it back to the place either way but I'd like to be able to walk up and say "this definitely happened again, I checked it myself and you're going to make it right" instead of standing there waiting for them to run some utility app.

And for the record, I went to this place (and reserved my judgment and chocked up the bad experiences to my own bad luck) because like three of my friends shared glowing recommendations when I asked earlier this year. Caveat emptor or whatever, I'll be more cautious in the future but what I want to know is how to check this thing out myself and not have to hear their non-explanation of why I got a third lemon. Thank you though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I see a multitude of sites that claim to let you check whether an IMEI number is blacklisted. Can't recommed a specific one, because I don't have experience with the process.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Okay, my S21 stopped letting me double tap the side button to get at Bixby. The side key settings niow say Bixby is disable, choose another app. The list to choose from doesn't have Bixby on it.

Bixby is not disabled in the Apps list. It works fine and I can bring it up by saying Hey Bixby or clicking the icon on my screen.

Oh. Merry Christmas!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

people use bixby??

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Yeah. I use both Bixby and Assistant because between them they can handle basic functions.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Even checking stuff where possible isn't going to stop a stolen / behind payments phone getting locked out again later. Don't think you're in the clear just because it comes up fine when buying one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What's the best place to buy a Pixel 8 Pro (unlocked) in the United States? I'd like a nice long return policy if possible, as I'm not 100% decided on it (and switching from iOS, etc). I have a Costco membership but wasn't sure if they sell carrier locked phones or have any of the nice return policy benefits.

Edit: I'm also gonna take this as an opportunity to complain that Microsoft Authenticator doesn't backup to a platform agnostic service. Changing that is going to be annoying.

Edit 2: I don't mean for prices, I just mean for customer support / return policy.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 25, 2023

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
The Google store.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Delivery Jan 24 - Feb 1 😭. I wanted to get it set up while I have "time off". I guess I'll go to Best Buy and hope I make my mind up in the 14 days.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Delivery Jan 24 - Feb 1 😭. I wanted to get it set up while I have "time off". I guess I'll go to Best Buy and hope I make my mind up in the 14 days.

Best Buy has unlocked Pixels and any purchase before December 30th has until January 13th to return.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Branch Nvidian posted:

Best Buy has unlocked Pixels and any purchase before December 30th has until January 13th to return.

Everybody is sold out of the 512gb everywhere! Except Amazon 😖

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Having some weird behavior with hotspot/USB tethering on my pixel 8 pro. I tried USB tethering and made sure it was turned on in both places and my desktop recognized it had a connection but would not load any site. So then I connected to my phones hotspot via Wi-Fi and a very small handful of sites would load and work very fast but no other site would load at all. I could access those sites on the browser on my phone that has the hotspot just fine so the problem had to be between the phone and the desktop but why only the majority of sites but not all?

Any ideas to troubleshoot either of these? Google fiber has been down for quite a while now so I need these to work.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Having some weird behavior with hotspot/USB tethering on my pixel 8 pro. I tried USB tethering and made sure it was turned on in both places and my desktop recognized it had a connection but would not load any site. So then I connected to my phones hotspot via Wi-Fi and a very small handful of sites would load and work very fast but no other site would load at all. I could access those sites on the browser on my phone that has the hotspot just fine so the problem had to be between the phone and the desktop but why only the majority of sites but not all?

Any ideas to troubleshoot either of these? Google fiber has been down for quite a while now so I need these to work.

My first guess would be DNS weirdness. What kind of computer are you tethering? Like Windows, Mac, Linux?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My first guess would be DNS weirdness. What kind of computer are you tethering? Like Windows, Mac, Linux?

Windows 10. Also my son's tablet can access everything just fine while connected to the same hotspot so its definitely something specific between the phone and this desktop. DNS would make sense is there a way to flush it or something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My first guess is that you have DNS hard coded on the desktop to your home network router instead of using DHCP and the handful of sites that worked had DNS cached.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
I just made the jump from Android 10 to 13: Wow, these quick settings tiles are gigantic? Went from 6 tiles up top to a 2x2 grid?

Is there a way to change this? Not seeing any options to hide the text or anything like that :\

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Welcome to Giant Tile World

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zet posted:

I just made the jump from Android 10 to 13: Wow, these quick settings tiles are gigantic? Went from 6 tiles up top to a 2x2 grid?

Is there a way to change this? Not seeing any options to hide the text or anything like that :\

swipe down again. it's 2x2, then 4x2 once you expand it. it keeps the notifications as the focus with the first swipe down, instead of a bunch of settings toggles.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Zet posted:

In settings you can:
1. Turn display size down
2. Turn font size up to compensate.

By doing this you can have not enormous tiles.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

withoutclass posted:

In settings you can:
1. Turn display size down
2. Turn font size up to compensate.

By doing this you can have not enormous tiles.

Thanks, that does help a little bit. Guess I'll have to get used to having text up there.

CLAM DOWN posted:

swipe down again. it's 2x2, then 4x2 once you expand it. it keeps the notifications as the focus with the first swipe down, instead of a bunch of settings toggles.

tbf, I feel like 10 focuses more for the first swipe since there isn't as much whitespace taking up room everywhere. And you got 6 tiles to work with in 1 row instead of two!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Branch Nvidian posted:

FYI they charge $45 to return a phone. Also the Pixel 8 Pro doesn't do 4K60 HDR??? WTF

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Kinda disappointed in the Caseology Athlex case for the Pixel 8 Pro. I had one for the 7 Pro and it felt truly high dollar. Like if the US government contracted out a phone case and spent millions of taxpayer dollars to do so, I imagine the result would be similar to the 7 Pro case. With the new case, they seem to have cheaped out on the materials, and given it this goofy "double bump" design on the side which makes it feel like holding a giant Oreo. Now I like Oreos, but not for their ergonomics and hand feel.

Replaced it with a Spigen Liquid Air and while it's vastly more comfortable to hold, even it feels like the manufacturing process has been cheapened compared to previous versions of this case. The one on my OnePlus 11 feels significantly better, for instance.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i have a recent version of the casology parallax and it's still pretty good imo

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

repiv posted:

Hmm. I might have to check that one out. The 7 Pro Athlex case was absolutely phenomenal, so I know caseology can make good cases.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

repiv posted:

i think that's my favourite case, i've had it for multiple phones and it's my main Pixel 8 Pro case

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm seeing a disturbing amount of positive year-end press for Motorola phones. Do the reviewers not use them long enough to realize that the software support is abysmal, that Motorola has a history of lying about support windows, or are they afraid of making Motorola mad?

It's just weird to me that so much of the press acts like Motorola is a reasonable manufacturer, when the evidence is so damning that these positive stories feel like gaslighting.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Unfortunately, a lot of those things regular consumers don't care about, so the reviews will gloss over or ignore them completely.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm seeing a disturbing amount of positive year-end press for Motorola phones. Do the reviewers not use them long enough to realize that the software support is abysmal, that Motorola has a history of lying about support windows, or are they afraid of making Motorola mad?

It's just weird to me that so much of the press acts like Motorola is a reasonable manufacturer, when the evidence is so damning that these positive stories feel like gaslighting.

Reviewers don't seem to use these things for more than about two-three weeks at a time and absolutely don't follow up on them year after year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had no idea how poo poo Motorola's support is. I will say that Mr. Mobile/Michael Fisher has mentioned it, but he continues to test and review their stuff.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My SO has been using a Motorola Moto G Power for a few years and it cost a whopping $30. The camera blows, but it has a great 5,000 mah battery.

With so many existing features (i.e. call screening) now being artificially locked to Pixels and Google seemingly making half of their Android features available only for Tensor, I can't help but wonder how much software support even matters anymore. If banking apps and things like that refuse to work due to security patches, I can see it being an issue, of course, but does anyone actually care if they don't receive Material You or other pointless updates?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When you can't access your work email because the security updates are behind it's already a problem.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CaptainSarcastic posted:

When you can't access your work email because the security updates are behind it's already a problem.

Yes, but if your work expects you to be reading emails on your phone, they can get you something better than a $30 moto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Rap Game Goku posted:

Yes, but if your work expects you to be reading emails on your phone, they can get you something better than a $30 moto.

Yeah I absolutely refuse to use my own personal device for work stuff. If I need to have access to my email or other resources when I'm not at work, then work needs to provide me tools to do so.

That said, this Sony is $1400 and I do expect frequent security updates for it, and Sony's own history shows it's kinda hit and miss about providing them. I don't really care about major OS updates so much as security patches and feature enhancements. UI overhauls just require me to change my workflow and that's a pain in the rear end.