Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s tons of “Literature: The Manga” series but most of them are just western comics in a manga style. Except, somehow, the Les Miserables manga, which seems like a real passion project from the artist

Definitely recommend the Junji Ito version of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein if you haven't read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

did i... did i find a unicorn?

is there an actual community of aot manga readers who thought the whole genocide everyone else in the world a good thing

Elden Lord Godfrey fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 10, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yes they're called fascists also maybe the kind of thing that shouldn't be spoiled in a non-AoT thread

I'd have been pretty upset if I hadn't just watched the anime finale yesterday

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

is there an actual community of aot manga readers who thought the whole genocide everyone else in the world a good thing

There are plenty of people who see someone in a manga or anime planning to kill everyone who doesn't agree with them and go "killing everyone who doesn't agree with me sounds awesome".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

We had one in this very forum before they got permabanned for consistently being nasty + bragging about their list of forum enemies.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
https://www.tumblr.com/peopleofgelbooru I think I found a goldmine of bad/funny/horrendous comments. Obvious caveat is that those are screencaps from gelbooru so you're bound to see some very bad takes, but most of it is just funny

Edit : maybe not most but about half, now that I've read more than one page

January 6 Survivor fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 15, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Schwarzwald posted:

We had one in this very forum before they got permabanned for consistently being nasty + bragging about their list of forum enemies.
That’s not narrowing it down much

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

January 6 Survivor posted:

https://www.tumblr.com/peopleofgelbooru I think I found a goldmine of bad/funny/horrendous comments. Obvious caveat is that those are screencaps from gelbooru so you're bound to see some very bad takes, but most of it is just funny

Edit : maybe not most but about half, now that I've read more than one page

these are mostly bad. but some are good

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That has got to be a troll...surely...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Elfface posted:

Seems to be the same line of thinking as "medieval peasants got more days off than you did!" so I doubt it

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Elfface posted:

There's too many weirdos in this fandom for me to agree.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think it’s a valid question why western comics are color but manga isnt(usually)

(I believe the answer is just to make them faster and cheaper to make)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Manga are often published in anthology magazines as opposed to individual issues for western comics, and those anthology magazines are very thick with comics, and it's just cheaper to print in black and white on basically toilet paper

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I’m checking the rulebook right now and I think he’s right

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:hmmyes:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RatHat posted:

I think it’s a valid question why western comics are color but manga isnt(usually)

(I believe the answer is just to make them faster and cheaper to make)

I think it's also a matter of scale. I'm not a 100% sure but I'm pretty sure DC and Marvel both have people whose whole job is just 'inker' or 'colorist' they don't make that another thing on the artist's plate singularly.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Like so?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

I think it's also a matter of scale. I'm not a 100% sure but I'm pretty sure DC and Marvel both have people whose whole job is just 'inker' or 'colorist' they don't make that another thing on the artist's plate singularly.

Its also a consequence of medium. Manga was and still is published in big, several hundred page magazines on very cheap print (think the cheap internal pages of a broadsheet newspaper), currently sold at 250 yen (~3$) while marvels go for about twice that for a single 30-40 page issue.

And its not for lack of manpower either, Mangaka do have several assistants but how many there are, how involved they are and their responsibilities depends on the person helming the manga.

Theres slave drivers, solo tezuka style workaholics and just regular guys who treat their assistamts like normal people working a job.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 4, 2023

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Both marvel and DC used to have big black and white anthology magazines printed on cheap paper too. I have a couple of the marvel ones in a box somewhere. I guess they didn't sell well to keep putting them out

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Guyver posted:

Both marvel and DC used to have big black and white anthology magazines printed on cheap paper too. I have a couple of the marvel ones in a box somewhere. I guess they didn't sell well to keep putting them out

Those were long-after-the-fact reprints tho.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Really? I had no idea. I got them in a big box of comics at the flea market when I was a kid.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Guyver posted:

Really? I had no idea. I got them in a big box of comics at the flea market when I was a kid.

I was thinking of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_Marvel (and the DC equivalent), but there could be more I don't know about.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I went through my boxes and I was talking about these

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Bizarre_Adventures_Vol_1

They're larger than singles and printed on coloring book paper.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Deep truths.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Guyver posted:

I went through my boxes and I was talking about these

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Bizarre_Adventures_Vol_1

They're larger than singles and printed on coloring book paper.

Oh dang I was totally wrong, sorry!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Just lol when the house shorts out right before the end sequence.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That sounds sick what is the Yamaha manga