Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

site posted:

Doesn't the cartoon have a talking baby that has a gun who is carried around by some goon

That's Scarface who I just mentioned.

The goon is his "dummy"

I love that the show plays it very straight so you're never 100% sure it's not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

So how did Aquaman do for its opening weekend? Hoping it did worse than the Marvels so we can push past any narrative that that movie was uniquely bad. I'd like to think that it's just a combo of superhero fatigue and a directionless MCU narrative.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

iceyman posted:

So how did Aquaman do for its opening weekend? Hoping it did worse than the Marvels so we can push past any narrative that that movie was uniquely bad. I'd like to think that it's just a combo of superhero fatigue and a directionless MCU narrative.

27 million, and even if you add Christmas that brings it up to 40 million it's still less than The Marvels which got 46 million

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
And yet I haven't seen 50 articles about how wokeness killed it

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

It'll almost certainly end up higher than The Marvels overall, but that's really because Disney yanked Marvels out of theaters way early just to cut their loses. The fun thing to watch will be the spin on Aquaman. Despite what Codependent Poster says about it bombing it's opening weekend, any narrative you see on a place like Deadline (i.e. dirty studio sympathizers) is entirely "it's performing really well internationally and beating all these other superhero movies". They're going to use a decent-ish international take to cut off any criticism about just how bad it was.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Nobody cares about Aquaman enough to even make up bullshit about it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Not even that Amber Heard somehow killed it? drat, shocking.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I mean if we're being honest here, the franchise basically killed itself.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I mean if we're being honest here, the franchise basically killed itself.

Would you say it….poo poo the bed?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah it's not shocking that people aren't going as crazy at Aquaman bombing like The Marvels.

It sucks though. But it's pretty clear that people wanted to bask in The Marvels failing because sexism and rasicm.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Would you say it….poo poo the bed?

I would now

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it looks like Aquaman 2 really mutual abuse isn’t real.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah it's not shocking that people aren't going as crazy at Aquaman bombing like The Marvels.

It sucks though. But it's pretty clear that people wanted to bask in The Marvels failing because sexism and rasicm.

I do also think there is a desire to see Marvel fail just because people don't like Marvel, whether it's because they never liked it in the first place, they didn't like how popular it became, they liked it at first but were over it, or whatever arbitrary reason they were feeling

Whereas I think people who were over the DCEU were done with it way... way sooner.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

X-O posted:

Nobody cares about Aquaman enough to even make up bullshit about it.

Yeah, a Marvel movie underperforming is at least new and interesting

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Aquaman 2 is a movie in an extended universe that already publicly crashed and burned and got cancelled.

The Marvels was, even if it didn't really deserve it, the first MCU movie to do "badly".

The situations aren't really the same.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TwoPair posted:

Not even that Amber Heard somehow killed it? drat, shocking.
Outside of some dumb corners of the internet I think people mostly moved on from that trial

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but those dumb corners are the same ones that were posting about the Marvels the whole time.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

WB/DC also never said anything about Florida's "Don't Say Gay" law, which means the Internet's biggest dipshits don't give a gently caress how those movies do.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TwoPair posted:

If not Batman, I'm sure there's some Superman covers from the Sliver Age "Superdickery" era of him about to murder a kid.

There's a bunch of Batman covers with a gorilla on them for no real reason (including one where he is carrying a gorilla strapped with a bomb) because their market research showed that covers with gorillas sold much better than standard covers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Steven Yuen had to leave Thunderbolts because of the delays.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Eternals was almost an ABC TV series in 2014.

John Ridley, the director of 12 Years a Slave, finally revealed what his cancelled Marvel project was.

He was working on a TV series based on the Eternals that was supposed to be a part of the Agent Carter/Agents of SHIELD TV pairings that were cannon with the movies. After they gave up on keeping the TV shows canon and Marvel TV merged with Marvel Studios, they cancelled the project along with their other ABC series to focus on movies and Netflix.

Ridley also says his pilot episode was going to be "very weird" and may not have been popular. He said it was also very difficult to adapt and that he didn't have much plot detailed out beyond his pilot episode.

quote:

“My version started with, the first thing you see is a young man, probably about 17, 18 years old. And he’s sitting there. He’s sitting there for a moment. And then he lifts his hands. He has a drill in it. And he turns the drill on. And he puts the drill to his ear. And he starts pushing it in. And then it goes from there…. That’s how it starts. And then I think you see another kid. He sleeps in the bathtub, covers himself with foil. It’s just a really weird story about these people who are, I mean, it’s just weird.”

But the writer-director admitted his version was a “really hard property [to develop].” He later realized that “the best thing to happen for everybody was that it didn’t happen with me, because I don’t know that it would have been entertaining [for all].”

Ridley added, “I do mean what’s entertaining to me is often not populist, which is great for a lot of the work I do, but this needed to be a little bit more popular, it really did.”

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1742750769701626218

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 4, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the inverse of what happened to Inhumans.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Is there... a reason those things are happening? Is that relevant behavior for The Eternals?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I take it that John Ridley is a fan of the old Darren Aronofsky film Pi

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jonathan Majors is giving an interview on January 8th with ABC news where he is expected to talk about Disney's decision to boot him, his reaction to evidence submitted at trial (both the video that seemed to back most of his version of the story and the text messages which seemed to support his ex's allegations that he had a history of controlling/emotionally abusive behavior), whether he plans to appeal, and his future.

The interview was already recorded earlier this week.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Eternals was almost an ABC TV series in 2014.

John Ridley, the director of 12 Years a Slave, finally revealed what his cancelled Marvel project was.

He was working on a TV series based on the Eternals that was supposed to be a part of the Agent Carter/Agents of SHIELD TV pairings that were cannon with the movies. After they gave up on keeping the TV shows canon and Marvel TV merged with Marvel Studios, they cancelled the project along with their other ABC series to focus on movies and Netflix.

Ridley also says his pilot episode was going to be "very weird" and may not have been popular. He said it was also very difficult to adapt and that he didn't have much plot detailed out beyond his pilot episode.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1742750769701626218

Was his pilot about people watching ant man 3?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
My favorite Eternal is Drill-Ear, the guy who puts a drill in his ear.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My local theater has already cut Aquaman 2 to just four showings a day this weekend. With one of those being a 3D showing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thing that annoys me most about Aquaman 2 bombing is knowing that it must have booted so many screenings of Godzilla out of IMAX.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Around here Godzilla was only in IMAX for the first day on Wednesday. I think Napoleon or something came out that same weekend.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My local theatre has 8 showings of Aquaman a day still and yet they still haven't picked up Poor Things :mad:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Lobok posted:

The thing that annoys me most about Aquaman 2 bombing is knowing that it must have booted so many screenings of Godzilla out of IMAX.

It looks like Aquaman 2 has pulled in around $260 globally, so better than Marvels and more than its production budget, and its still in theaters. I don't get it either, but it could have done worse.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

260 dollars!?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arist posted:

260 dollars!?

more than it was worth tbh

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

muscles like this! posted:

My local theater has already cut Aquaman 2 to just four showings a day this weekend. With one of those being a 3D showing.

Oooooh, so if they're going to be cutting its numbers so fast there's a slim chance it may actually finish under Flash domestically. I think it'll level off a little above it, but we'll see. For losers like me who like charts and graphs, here's numbers for the last couple of super hero "bombs" (plus original Aquaman just to see how bad Lost Kingdom did in comparison).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Has there been a date annouced for when the Marvel's is coming out? I sung its praises to everyone I know a pretty much they all said "i'll watch it on D+" and My sister asked me if I had any idea.

Apparently she's a big Brie Larsen fan. She also really likes Elizabeth Olsen, to the point of watching Oldboy. When she saw my face after hearing that, she was "I get that reaction".

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

There's been a consistent three month window between theaters and Disney+. So probably early February.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I finally watched The Flash last night. It's me, Internet Tough Guy: I want to meet individually with each and every person involved in making this film so that I can drag them into the bathroom and give them a swirlie.

This movie is dominated by an absolute shrieking hysterical terror that someone watching might it feel a moment of wonder or awe at the prospect of a time-traveling demigod. The only kind of happiness they wanted us to feel is self-congratulation upon spotting references to other, better movies (including the one that was never actually made). The only jokes that actually work are nonverbal slapstick where a guy falls down. Everything that happens has to be immediately deflated by Whedonisms.

The protagonist is made out to be an annoying and unlikable dork until he meets a younger version of himself who can take over that role. Much has been written about Ezra' Miller's shenanigans/comorbid mental illnesses/crimes, and specifically about how that's not a good reason to misgender them. Which is true; this movie is a much better reason to misgender them. As a nonbinary person, I'd consider it a personal favour if you all would misgender Ezra Miller at every opportunity. I really don't want people getting the impression that we're all obnoxious, babbling space cadets who whine about the lack of raisins? On a breakfast sandwich?

Well, that happened.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Halloween Jack posted:

Much has been written about Ezra' Miller's shenanigans/comorbid mental illnesses/crimes, and specifically about how that's not a good reason to misgender them. Which is true; this movie is a much better reason to misgender them. As a nonbinary person, I'd consider it a personal favour if you all would misgender Ezra Miller at every opportunity. I really don't want people getting the impression that we're all obnoxious, babbling space cadets who whine about the lack of raisins? On a breakfast sandwich?

Yeah, this is no good. Don't post like a weirdo in here. You don't get to just to proclaim that. Do not follow up further on this dumb tangent. You should be able to criticize the movie and the person without stooping to that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My wife was telling me that her friend was trying to watch the X-Men movies in chronological order and a chill went down my spine. I can't even imagine how confused she has to be.