Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

An emperor, a turncoat admiral, a former warlord, a member of the worst generation, the world's greatest scientific mind and anywhere from 1 - 3 members of CP0 taking down an Elder Star then escaping a buster call together would certainly constitute an Incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
at first i thought the Can't Move effect was cuz Saturn might also have an awakened darkness fruit in him but then i realized that sanji is also immobilized so its probably not that. wonder what that effect is about and if it is unique to saturn or if all the gorosei can do it

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:tviv: but it's a Shonen Jump instead of a TV again

So Bonney never ate a fruit; they just experimented on her. Goddamn.

I think what Saturn is saying is that Bonney hasn't yet realized that Luffy's white form IS Nika ("hasn't connected", rather, "hasn't made the connection"). Once she realizes that Nika is right here, very much alive, she's probably gonna get a massive power boost and she'll double team Saturn with Luffy. I would love to see her copy Gear 5.

It's almost certain that Kizaru just fed Luffy, which means he's officially a good guy now.

Gonna ring in the New Year with a Saturn beatdown.

Oh hey, I had a shower-thought theory about the One Piece:

"Nika" is actually the hero of an in-universe comic/manga that was banned by the World Government because he inspired revolutions. Imagine taking the "Sora, Warrior of the Sea" comics and its link to the "real-life" Germa 66 to a globally-impacting scale.

The One Piece is Joyboy's massive collection of Nika comics and/or memorabilia.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Explanation as to what's up with Bonney and her fruit

It's not that Saturn has negated her fruit, but his knowledge of how her fruit works allows him to defeat her. Bonney's fruit isn't an age fruit, rather it can change someone to a potential future/past that Bonney can believe in. Bonney isn't losing power in her Nikaish future because he can turn off her fruit, it's because Saturn presents such an inevitable position of power and despair she can't actually consider him being a baby or a decrepit corpse, and he's causing her such despair as to make her stop believing in Nika. That is also why he notes she hasn't made the connection between Luffy and Nika yet. If she had, her belief would become concrete, empowering her.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

I think what Saturn is saying is that Bonney hasn't yet realized that Luffy's white form IS Nika ("hasn't connected", rather, "hasn't made the connection"). Once she realizes that Nika is right here, very much alive, she's probably gonna get a massive power boost and she'll double team Saturn with Luffy. I would love to see her copy Gear 5.

It's almost certain that Kizaru just fed Luffy, which means he's officially a good guy now.

"Nika" is actually the hero of an in-universe comic/manga that was banned by the World Government because he inspired revolutions. Imagine taking the "Sora, Warrior of the Sea" comics and its link to the "real-life" Germa 66 to a globally-impacting scale.

and then in the final chapter of One Piece, Luffy turns to the camera and announces the start of the real life revolution

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

im inclined to believe your shower thought

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Onmi posted:

Explanation as to what's up with Bonney and her fruit

It's not that Saturn has negated her fruit, but his knowledge of how her fruit works allows him to defeat her. Bonney's fruit isn't an age fruit, rather it can change someone to a potential future/past that Bonney can believe in. Bonney isn't losing power in her Nikaish future because he can turn off her fruit, it's because Saturn presents such an inevitable position of power and despair she can't actually consider him being a baby or a decrepit corpse, and he's causing her such despair as to make her stop believing in Nika. That is also why he notes she hasn't made the connection between Luffy and Nika yet. If she had, her belief would become concrete, empowering her.

This is a way better explanation of how her power works, and I feel like at least one person in this thread called out the potential of Bonney being young and having "more imagination", so to speak, to empower her ability. Younger = more potential futures = more power.

Farg posted:

and then in the final chapter of One Piece, Luffy turns to the camera and announces the start of the real life revolution

It was bold of Oda to have Luffy shout "ACAB!" as the final line of One Piece

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the "twist" of bonneys fruit relying on her belief about the future (i say twist cuz several ppl itt discussed that very idea, so it was definitely a possibility) is so good really. because she's going to see Him wake up and it's all going to work and the good guys will win.

lets Kill Saint Jay Garcia Saturn

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So Saturn created a nika-tier monster and let her get away? Sheesh these guys. I guess its a very good thing kalifa's sister never noticed her power.

I guess Kuma prime is also a monster of his own creation given how the cybernetics made him even stronger, so he's really being undone by his own plans here.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 27, 2023

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

No Wave posted:

So Saturn created a nika-tier monster and let her get away? Sheesh these guys. I guess its a very good thing kalifa's sister never noticed her power.

I guess Kuma prime is also a monster of his own creation given how the cybernetics made him even stronger, so he's really being undone by his own plans here.

Of course he did, it's a useless power in his view He's an old decrepit gently caress at the very height of a corrupt power structure. There is no future. There's no happy endings, there's no Nika, there is Imu, then the Elder Stars, then the Celestial Dragons. It's a fruit that functions on imagination and belief dismissed by someone with no imagination or belief.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BLOW HIS FUCKIN HEAD OFF KUMA

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
TCB Version is out https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7587/one-piece-chapter-1103?date=27-12-2023-8

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wow im never reading opscans again the difference is huge this week of course im going to read opscans again

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Huh

Just realized Kuma is actively using Haki in the final panel

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
GET HE GODDAMN rear end KUMA

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Wow im never reading opscans again the difference is huge this week of course im going to read opscans again

the difference is huge every single week

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Looks like not even Vegapunk can erase Kuma's desire to protect Bonney

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mabels big day posted:

Oh my god

I was wondering who had fed Luffy in this situation.

Guys. It's Caribou

Ok drat was scrolling back through to see if anyone else had a theory. this makes sense why there could just be a whole bunch of food just there all of a sudden. Alternate theory was Borsalino got it at light speed since he would be the only one not effected by the body paralysis effect

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So is it possible saturn is bonney's biological father?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I doubt it, personally. He shows less than no regard for her in a way that doesn't suggest a familial connection.

Also Kizaru is absolutely turning on the WG here, you love to see it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"wife number 8" really sounds like ginny was saturn's wife and she got pregnant in mary geoise :stare:

this manga is dark as hell sometimes

Arist posted:

I doubt it, personally. He shows less than no regard for her in a way that doesn't suggest a familial connection.

he was pretty okay with letting her and ginny go. i dont think he would ever "care" for his children. he doesnt even seem to hold any form of regard to celestial dragons. i genuinely think he thinks of himself as a literal god.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 27, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

On the other hand, I don’t think a Celestial Dragon would give a poo poo about the child of one of their slaves (since I believe it was implied that Ginny was raped and Bonney was the result)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Ok drat was scrolling back through to see if anyone else had a theory. this makes sense why there could just be a whole bunch of food just there all of a sudden. Alternate theory was Borsalino got it at light speed since he would be the only one not effected by the body paralysis effect

im inclined to believe it’s borsalino since he’s shown in different postures and locations pretty much immediately before and after the panels of luffy eating

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
gently caress HIM UP KUMA gently caress HIM UP

Akainu: Kizaru turned coat? I better keep my rear end in the office. OR I'M FINISHED !!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
someone brought up the fact that Kuma has super hearing, and yeah seeing this play out Kuma definitely heard about Ginny being used for the experiments that caused the blue scales in both her and Bonney which makes what’s gonna happen soon the perfect comeuppance on multiple levels.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

the difference is huge every single week

There were definitely some weeks in early egghead where the translation was passable enough for early scans and got an accurate meaning across. This week was noticeably bad even for opscans

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Eggplant Squire posted:

I'm curious if the story will expand on why Saturn was experimented on Bonney's mom who sounded like a high ranking elite at the time and not someone of a lower class.

He literally calls her "Wife #8" in the TCB scan so I think it was kinda the exact opposite really - she was someone they considered expendable enough that no one would bat an eye if she suddenly exploded into sapphires.

I find that part more interesting actually; Saturn implies that Sapphire Scale was an intrinsic side-effect of their experiments, so it seems to be specifically related to Devil Fruits somehow. IIRC, Vegapunk said there were 'issues' with getting artificial Logias to work, so maybe we'll see some more weird gemstone-themed diseases down the line?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If you look closely Luffy has the ramen bowl Kizaru was eating from near him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean we already know that CD's take random commoners to be their slave wives and that in most cases they discard them just as easily (the first time we are introduced to the concept, Charlos is talking about how he has grown tired of his other wives and that they should be returned to "the rabble").

We don't have clear evidence for how they feel about the offspring of these "rabble" wives, it's possible they get treated with full CD respect but given the entire nature of these fuckers, it's just as likely that they are seen as insects just like their mothers.

At the very least even if Saturn is not the biological father, he has to know that Bonney is the bio-daughter of a CD, and that obviously doesn't count for anything in his book. There's a possibility that Bonney has a real CD bio-dad out there who has some measure of humanity and loves her, but was just overruled by Saturn, but everything we know about the CDs is pointing to that being a long shot anyway.

EDIT: drat lots of posts since I started writing this but i think it still has some decent points not addressed

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That necklace someone mentioned is the logo of Kuma's church and holy poo poo, that's a stylized solar system. A sun surrounded by 8 planets. IDK what this means but Sun God Nika vs a bunch of goons who are named after planets has to be something

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

MorningMoon posted:

That necklace someone mentioned is the logo of Kuma's church and holy poo poo, that's a stylized solar system. A sun surrounded by 8 planets. IDK what this means but Sun God Nika vs a bunch of goons who are named after planets has to be something

It turns out OP runs on Nasuverse rules and everyone's about to get their rear end kicked by Type-Oort cloud.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean we already know that CD's take random commoners to be their slave wives and that in most cases they discard them just as easily (the first time we are introduced to the concept, Charlos is talking about how he has grown tired of his other wives and that they should be returned to "the rabble").

We don't have clear evidence for how they feel about the offspring of these "rabble" wives, it's possible they get treated with full CD respect but given the entire nature of these fuckers, it's just as likely that they are seen as insects just like their mothers.

At the very least even if Saturn is not the biological father, he has to know that Bonney is the bio-daughter of a CD, and that obviously doesn't count for anything in his book. There's a possibility that Bonney has a real CD bio-dad out there who has some measure of humanity and loves her, but was just overruled by Saturn, but everything we know about the CDs is pointing to that being a long shot anyway.

EDIT: drat lots of posts since I started writing this but i think it still has some decent points not addressed

There’s only a small handful of decent CDs we know of so far (Doffy’s parents and the guy the Mermaid Queen went with, it didn’t go well for either of them), but I suppose it’s possible

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

im inclined to believe it’s borsalino since he’s shown in different postures and locations pretty much immediately before and after the panels of luffy eating

My friends and I are also now talking about color theory, and how we've already had two of the three original admirals who all represented primary colors give up their positions to secondary colors, so it would make sense if Kizaru also left/got killed that he would be replaced with the final secondary color (orange).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

My friends and I are also now talking about color theory, and how we've already had two of the three original admirals who all represented primary colors give up their positions to secondary colors, so it would make sense if Kizaru also left/got killed that he would be replaced with the final secondary color (orange).

cool theory. subtractive color models (traditional red/blue/yellow or the cmyk gamut used in printing) include black (imu) who will be replaced with white (nika)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

this is a little head-canon-y but i think it works, we MIGHT know what the CDs do to unwanted CD children and thats... discard them without a second thought. in Big Mom's flashback we see a few kids at the orphanage that look weirdly similar to some of the Celestian Dragon designs shown on God Valley, which doesn't make a ton of sense... why would these CD kids be at an orphanage? my guess/bet is that they're just the latest in a long theme of one piece - discarded children.

i'm guessing that there's some sort of old school nobility thing going on with the CD families, and if you aren't in line to actually inherit a space in the CD world, you're just trash. bonney was just that, not going to actually become a dragon, so she's just outright trash in their eyes.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Kizaru has to quit to make room for Admiral Koby

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kizaru is lying down at first with his arms out then appears to be sitting up in his second panel, so that does suggest he's the one who moved to feed Luffy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Kizaru is lying down at first with his arms out then appears to be sitting up in his second panel, so that does suggest he's the one who moved to feed Luffy.

Also his hands are hidden! I'm 100% convinced of Good Guy Borsalino at this point.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It's Borsalino because he's the only person who wouldn't be affected by Saturn's weird suppression aura. Like if it's holding Sanji down, one of the strongest people in the world who has no devil fruit to abuse, then it'd just have to be someone Saturn isn't exerting the power on...and who could do it faster than Saturn could notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Borsalino flashback, GO!!!