Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shrecknet posted:

Our literal POV character … takes actions no human would take, even under the most mind-shattering of conditions.

[…]

I watched this at 1.25x speed, speeding up to 1.5x for long sections until finally reaching for the 10s Advance button

Maybe ur not so different after all…?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If I'm posting a positive opinion about something I tend to be more definitive about it. When I'm posting a negative thought I usually will soften it somewhat or word it in a way that wouldn't insult someone who likes it. "It wasn't my thing" or "I wasn't into it", or "I didn't click with it".

Part of that is because I know myself and I know that half the time when I watch something I need to then go back and rewatch it to form a proper opinion. I don't want to blame ADHD but I just feel like I don't absorb stuff properly until I've seen it more than once.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I honestly preferred the first half, it had some really good atmosphere and I really liked the way it developed the main character's relationship with his family. I think I just have a limited tolerance for media that's about being confused and lost, particularly when it's just one person. It gives me the same feeling I get when I have to shepherd a drunk person.

I was honestly ready to roll my eyes at the first half but it really worked for me and invested me in the characters and their relationship with one another. I think whether or not the second half works for you really hinges on having that investment, which Shrek clearly didn't. The disorientation aspect is also a pretty specific horror element that almost always gets me too, though.

Basebf555 posted:

Part of that is because I know myself and I know that half the time when I watch something I need to then go back and rewatch it to form a proper opinion. I don't want to blame ADHD but I just feel like I don't absorb stuff properly until I've seen it more than once.

This is probably particularly true of a certain subset of more esoteric movies like Outwaters and Skinamarink too, and a reason why those movies are somewhat more divisive. I think I'm also a lot more willing to give a movie a second chance if I didn't vibe with it the first time but there's a feeling that I've missed something or just wasn't in the right mood. I still don't know if I like Skinamarink but there's got to be something to it if I keep putting it on over and over like I tend to do, even while I'm writing or doing other stuff.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 27, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Shrecknet posted:

"the kills were cool and the one girl had awesome boobs"

but enough about terrifier 2

The hardest movies for me to be critical about, positively or negatively, are the ones that feel more like a shrug. All the 2.5/5s of the world. I do definitely fall into the trap with stuff I would personally rate lower of going "but hey, it might be your thing!" I'm pretty reluctant to just absolutely tear into stuff unless it actively makes me angry or disgusted for any given reason and I feel like warning people off as a result.

Like from all the discussion of Outwaters I get the impression that much like Skinamarink it will not really be my jam, but I'm also interested enough from that discussion to want to check it out just in case I do end up clicking with it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Basebf555 posted:

If I'm posting a positive opinion about something I tend to be more definitive about it. When I'm posting a negative thought I usually will soften it somewhat or word it in a way that wouldn't insult someone who likes it. "It wasn't my thing" or "I wasn't into it", or "I didn't click with it".

That's fine and is appropriate for conversation. I just think it's pretty tepid.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Maybe in high school it was fun being Donnie Darko irl but I am 32 years old and haven't worried about what people I knew 15 years ago thought in a very long time. That's your hangup.

I was more saying that I find it juvenile to blindly love everything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

That's fine and is appropriate for conversation. I just think it's pretty tepid.

Oh yea that's definitely true, I'm one of the most boring and bland posters around here. Look at my rap sheet, I think I've had like 2 probations in 15 years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

See I like the whole movie. I think the front end is really cool and a good approach to the character stuff

I disliked the first half enough that if I watch it again I'll probably just start it 30 minutes in. still a good movie though, one of the better horror flicks of the year.

also lest I be accused of being one of those horror fans that "loves everything," Scream 6 and Talk to Me were both pure rear end.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

edit: whoops

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I disliked the first half enough that if I watch it again I'll probably just start it 30 minutes in. still a good movie though, one of the better horror flicks of the year.

also lest I be accused of being one of those horror fans that "loves everything," Scream 6 and Talk to Me were both pure rear end.

I dont think anyone would ever accuse you of such a thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I dont think anyone would ever accuse you of such a thing.

thank you!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Talk To Me needed a better third act and more mystery around the mother's death. They came up with good designs for the hand and the dead people but that's where the movie kind of stops in its creativity.

I'm trying to think of other horror movies that flubbed their design with a lovely story. Mainly because I'm interested in that and also to steer the conversation away from loves everything talk because it's not the biggest of deals.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I wish they had done more with the dead people doing a reverse Talk to Me that was the most interesting idea in the movie but they reduced it to some throwaway that was over and done in seconds.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Re: criticism, I used to do music/film reviews through and a bit past college for the paper, some websites, etc., so I do admit I tend not to give any weight to a review/opinion that isn't at least a little thoughtful. The liking it/disliking it isn't typically as important as the underlying rational. Someone saying a movie is "bad," for instance, is useless. What does that mean? Was it a poorly acted mess with a sloppy, nonsensical script? Was it sub-amateur filmmaking with an out-of-focus lens and inaudible dialogue? I care about that. Maybe you didn't like it because it's not a genre you care for. Maybe you didn't like it because you object to the gore or subject matter because you have different values. Maybe you didn't like it because it was a slow character study and you prefer wall-to-wall explosions. When saying a movie is "bad" covers this entire range of options, it's not useful. The same is obviously true of merely saying something is "good." But I'm generally interested in hearing an opinion that has at least some detail behind it, even if I disagree. If your takes are completely insane then I just discount them after awhile.

I also think it's important to put anyone's opinion--a friend, a critic, whoever--in context of their overall taste. I enjoy the discussion and recommendations in this thread because it's enthusiastic horror fans who consume a TON of stuff. But I also adjust for my own personal taste. I hate found footage almost as a rule, so I'm just going to pass on that stuff. My best friend and I talk music all the time, and we have a lot of overlapping taste, but I enjoy hearing about stuff he likes outside my wheelhouse too because of his enthusiasm and how much he gets into it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

Yea it's pretty bad. So is The Outwaters. I'll never fault a director for taking a chance but I also think horror fans should be more open to saying movies suck instead of doing the theater art kid thing of loving everything.

I don’t think anyone itt is like this.

Everyone has different tastes and likes and dislikes everything.

I think this thread has worked itself out to be less rude to each other about things we like and dislike so it’s possible to talk about movies instead of getting into arguments

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Meh, the Rob Zombie kid (Kvlt?) was a bit obnoxious in that sense.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the "thread has worked itself out"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have an idea for a Noroi/Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! style found footage film about the ghost supposedly haunting the old prison in central Reykjavik.

The story goes that when Reykjavík's old prison, Hegningarhúsið (e. the Punishment House) was being built in the 1870s some of the workers reported repeated sightings of a man, or something vaguely man-shaped, lying in the foundation wherever they'd dig. The man was described as wearing a strange tight fitting red woollen hood and a dark boilersuit. The man in the holes had no face. He'd never respond when questioned but whenever the workers would try to nudge him with their picks and shovels he'd disappear into thin air. They knew he wasn't dead because he'd constantly wiggle and writhe.

Some suspected this was a ghost (traditional Icelandic ghosts of that era typically dressed in red) and that they'd disturbed a gravesite when building the prison but the prison was built on a solid cliff where no settlement had ever stood and the foundation required extensive use of explosives so an ancient grave was unlikely.

Once the prisons was fully operational many prisoners reported sightings of a faceless man with a red hood in their cell at night. One prisoner described a "Pupa Man" that would hang from the ceiling with countless wispy threads snaking out of his flesh and into the mouth of the prisoner who'd lie paralyzed halfway between sleep and consciousness. The story goes that the prisoner died not long after of a unexplained illness.

Similar reports carried on for decades with many prisoners reporting strange presences at the corners of their eyes or at least an uncomfortable feeling of being watched.

After the prison was fully closed in the late 2010s patrons of nearby bars and cafes, sharing walls with the old prison, still reported hearing strange sounds, knocking on the walls and even wailing, even after there were no more prisoners.

The idea is to set the film up like it's an episode of a paranormal TV show with talking head interviews, researchers digging up hidden info, and some light animatics for the old stories and have the crew visit Hegningarhúsið and something spooky happening every time increasing in spookiness and severity culminating with the Pupa Man attacking one of the main characters and something vaguely mothlike hatching from the chrysalis and flying off into town.

However even if I write this I might have some problem shooting in the actual Hegingarhús since I'm pretty sure it's being gentrified and converted into like a restaurant/art gallery or something. I did work on a short film that was shot there a couple years ago but I don't know far work has progressed since then.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I have an idea for a Noroi/Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! style found footage film about the ghost supposedly haunting the old prison in central Reykjavik.

The story goes that when Reykjavík's old prison, Hegningarhúsið (e. the Punishment House) was being built in the 1870s some of the workers reported repeated sightings of a man, or something vaguely man-shaped, lying in the foundation wherever they'd dig. The man was described as wearing a strange tight fitting red woollen hood and a dark boilersuit. The man in the holes had no face. He'd never respond when questioned but whenever the workers would try to nudge him with their picks and shovels he'd disappear into thin air. They knew he wasn't dead because he'd constantly wiggle and writhe.

Some suspected this was a ghost (traditional Icelandic ghosts of that era typically dressed in red) and that they'd disturbed a gravesite when building the prison but the prison was built on a solid cliff where no settlement had ever stood and the foundation required extensive use of explosives so an ancient grave was unlikely.

Once the prisons was fully operational many prisoners reported sightings of a faceless man with a red hood in their cell at night. One prisoner described a "Pupa Man" that would hang from the ceiling with countless wispy threads snaking out of his flesh and into the mouth of the prisoner who'd lie paralyzed halfway between sleep and consciousness. The story goes that the prisoner died not long after of a unexplained illness.

Similar reports carried on for decades with many prisoners reporting strange presences at the corners of their eyes or at least an uncomfortable feeling of being watched.

After the prison was fully closed in the late 2010s patrons of nearby bars and cafes, sharing walls with the old prison, still reported hearing strange sounds, knocking on the walls and even wailing, even after there were no more prisoners.

The idea is to set the film up like it's an episode of a paranormal TV show with talking head interviews, researchers digging up hidden info, and some light animatics for the old stories and have the crew visit Hegningarhúsið and something spooky happening every time increasing in spookiness and severity culminating with the Pupa Man attacking one of the main characters and something vaguely mothlike hatching from the chrysalis and flying off into town.

However even if I write this I might have some problem shooting in the actual Hegingarhús since I'm pretty sure it's being gentrified and converted into like a restaurant/art gallery or something. I did work on a short film that was shot there a couple years ago but I don't know far work has progressed since then.

Man that'd be dope. My senritsu knock off idea was a guy that bumbles into the paranormal by starting a YouTube channel where he unboxes "haunted" items from eBay as a joke only to find himself taking on greater supernatural evils. So more like a Bad Ben meets Senritsu.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, Halloween 5. It's one of the worst of the series, etc. But when it comes to the unmasking...am I loving crazy?

The back of the VHS box way back in '89-'90 promised the unmasking of Michael Myers. It's regularly referred to as the time he voluntarily takes the mask off because of Jamie and you can see his face. But...you can't? When I was younger I assumed it was the CRT television and VHS tape, but even now with a 70" television you don't see anything more than his eye and a brief flash of cheek. I guess I just find it funny that it's not as well known as Friday the 13th part VIII in terms of false advertising. If I'm making any sense at all.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, Halloween 5. It's one of the worst of the series, etc. But when it comes to the unmasking...am I loving crazy?

The back of the VHS box way back in '89-'90 promised the unmasking of Michael Myers. It's regularly referred to as the time he voluntarily takes the mask off because of Jamie and you can see his face. But...you can't? When I was younger I assumed it was the CRT television and VHS tape, but even now with a 70" television you don't see anything more than his eye and a brief flash of cheek. I guess I just find it funny that it's not as well known as Friday the 13th part VIII in terms of false advertising. If I'm making any sense at all.

is five also the one where the mask's hair is white for a few shots for some reason

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
No, that was four during the school scene. But the worst when it comes to mask redesigns is easily H20.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I think Michael taking his mask off just isn't that big a deal. You see him as a kid in the first one and his mask gets ripped off, too. So there's not really a mystery of what he looks like, there's no "WHO IS UNDER THE MASK?" type reveal you can do.

Not like promising Jason Vorhees conquering Manhattan Island and instead putting him on a boat for 80% of the movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
At least Jason takes Manhattan gave us the punch decapitation and kicking the boom box. I cannot think of anything nice to say about Halloween 4 through resurrection

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, I know it wasn't that big of a deal, just funny in retrospect.

I think saying there's nothing of worth between 4 and Resurrection is a bit much. There are moments in each of those films. Some more than others. None in Resurrection. Struggling to think of any in 5 or 6. But at least you have stuff like the ending of part 4.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

At least Jason takes Manhattan gave us the punch decapitation and kicking the boom box. I cannot think of anything nice to say about Halloween 4 through resurrection

this is one of the best scenes in the entire halloween franchise. its distilled halloween vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN681J0-9qI

thats it tho for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween 4 rules, some really great spooky shots in that one. depending on my mood it's my favorite Halloween movie after the first one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh absolutely. Part 4 has the best non-pumpkin opening in the series. It sets the tone immediately and the shots are beautiful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

part 4 kinda lost me after i watched part 5 but idk its OK I guess. i still dont love the OG halloween movies besides the first and third.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Part 4 really tries, and it’s not part 4’s fault that Akkad wanted a sequel so quickly that part 5 is a complete loving mess that retroactively taints part 4.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You cannot trick me into watching Halloween 4 for the first time in like 15 years!

*begins looking for a copy*

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

However even if I write this I might have some problem shooting in the actual Hegingarhús since I'm pretty sure it's being gentrified and converted into like a restaurant/art gallery or something.
clearly the answer is to dress up in a ghost costume and scare the gentrifying folks out of the
Hegingarhús so you can shoot there. It's a foolproof* plan!

*fools not including stoners, great danes and their friends in a green microbus

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Part 4 really tries, and it’s not part 4’s fault that Akkad wanted a sequel so quickly that part 5 is a complete loving mess that retroactively taints part 4.

yeah 4 has a lot of fans whereas 5 is... almost impossible to defend lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

its so insane they took that cool ending in 4 and just...idk.

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrxuCgXzSo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know the stupid cops with their own circus theme song was supposed to be an homage to Last House on the Left but I hated it then too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And then they decided to replace Rachel with one of the most irritating characters in horror movie history in Tina.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I wasn't alive for Season of the Witch but I remember being told to skip it by neighborhood kids when I was growing up. It didn't have Myers in it and was seen as the big rug pull marketing wise. 4 was always the classic because it was good kills and still relatively new. I remember people passing that VHS around as a kid. Five was seen as boring and also skipped.

Halloween I and II would have been great as one big film but it kind of self sabotaged Carpenter's intent. If Halloween II was a completely different story then maybe they could have gotten away with III. I think the Season of the Witch made them over correct into giving the people what they want.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FreudianSlippers posted:

All of this is incredibly cool, and you’re cool for posting it. I’m imagining lots of chiaroscuro-style lighting with some fuckery on the saturation so the red pops like crazy.

Ghosts as larval states for alien horrors is a really evocative idea. gently caress yeah.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'd definitely go see this on opening day.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I like most movies I watch but I think it's largely that after a life of watching thousands of movies I've got a pretty good idea going in whether something will appeal to me or not. I just skip the stuff I'm not interested in, unless it's a theater trip with friends.

But even something like Evil Dead Rise that I don't end up liking I can still appreciate the craft behind it. It's not for me at all, but I'm not going to say it sucks.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 27, 2023

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I like most movies I watch but I think it's largely that after a life of watching thousands of movies I've got a pretty good idea going in whether something will appeal to me or not. I just skip the stuff I'm not interested in, unless it's a theater trip with friends.

But even something like Evil Dead Rise that I don't end up liking I can still appreciate the craft behind it. It's not for me at all, but I'm not going to say it sucks.

I'm pretty much the same, though I will admit since I get all the free movie tickets I can from my job, I tend to be a bit more open to giving films not usually in my wheelhouse a go. Still, if a film doesn't click with me, it's just one of those things. In the case of Skinimarink, it's a well done film, I like a lot of what the guy has on his youtube channel, but because I never experienced that dread as a kid of how different things look in a dark house in the middle of the night, it just didn't hit me in the way it did others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Meh, the Rob Zombie kid (Kvlt?) was a bit obnoxious in that sense.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the "thread has worked itself out"

A lot of people have been a bit obnoxious in certain moments. It's not fair to randomly single someone out, especially since Kvlt has been posting again recently and I've been really happy to see it because Kvlt is a good person who has added a lot to the thread over the years. Let's not take shots at people who aren't even involved in the conversation.