Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It sounds like the merger may happen anyways, so even if sukuna kills everyone here there's a new era of disgustingly strong curses and curse users coming. it's a cycle after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nuebot posted:

I hope sukuna wins and the series ends with him being really bored with nothing else to do.

Sukuna will become Yujiro Hanma

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The end of the series is Yuji and Sukuna as the only things left alive on the planet.

Both will feel they have lost. Credits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He explicitly said he won't get bored.

Which, ironically, makes him even more boring.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

Which, ironically, makes him even more boring.

Kind of the opposite for me I appreciate that Sukuna acknowledges that humans will keep devising new and different curse techniques and he wants to see more cool poo poo.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kind of the opposite for me I appreciate that Sukuna acknowledges that humans will keep devising new and different curse techniques and he wants to see more cool poo poo.

I really vibe with this type of villain. No grand plan to control things, no super detailed motivation with some lame tragic backstory on why he does what he does.

He just wants to do whatever he wants and whenever he wants, see cool things occasionally and because of his power/ how his desires manifest you can't really leave him to his own devices. Kamo just running with his family makes sense with this villain, because Sukuna isn't gonna track him down and as long as you stay out of his way, you're likely not gonna become one of his victims.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm still in on the series. Sukuna is living life taking on all comers. Yuji is getting his chance to shine and Maki is still in play

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Asuron posted:

I really vibe with this type of villain. No grand plan to control things, no super detailed motivation with some lame tragic backstory on why he does what he does.

He just wants to do whatever he wants and whenever he wants, see cool things occasionally and because of his power/ how his desires manifest you can't really leave him to his own devices. Kamo just running with his family makes sense with this villain, because Sukuna isn't gonna track him down and as long as you stay out of his way, you're likely not gonna become one of his victims.

The problem is that this type of villain has no interesting interactions with anyone else. See, I'll go back to one of my old standbys here. Shonen fights are philosophy debates with lasers. My Hero Academia, for all its flaws and all the complaints it gets in this thread in an attempt to defend post-Shibuya JJK, is a textbook in that, with Stain's fight as the star example. He believes one thing, Deku believes another, and they go back and forth illustrating their arguments with violence until Deku wins thanks to the intervention of a living illustration of the biggest flaw in Stain's worldview. (That is, Shoto illustrating Balboa's famous maxim: "I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!")

Sakuna, although he does have a lame tragic backstory, doesn't engage with his opponents philosophically in any interesting way. Even Dragon Ball's "I am the strongest Fight rear end in a top hat!" villains tried to make sure to have a hook to allow the heroes to grapple with them. (Most famously, Vegeta's disbelief that a "low class" saiyan could ever match the Prince of All Saiyans, contrasting Goku's philosophy of eternal self-betterment with Vegeta's complacency).

Sakuna's philosophy is "LOL, whatever", which makes for dull conflict. It's just slamming two numbers at each other. When he was limited by Yuji, he had inner conflict from being held back by the goody-two-shoes, and had enough mystery box that his interesting scenes (like "Be proud. You're strong.") might have gone somewhere cool. But when he's got those limits removed and the box opened, he's just an invincible wall of nothing who kills more interesting characters and then shrugs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Brought To You By posted:

But why would Sukuna argue anything? He literally doesn't acknowledge the law because it's either his way or the highway. That is how he lived in two lives now. Him being more interested in the Sword is 100% in character but his character is boring now that he isn't a looming threat in Yuji's soul and has his full autonomy.

Because, as the author, you want to make your characters take interesting paths and can certainly find ways for them to do so. Just add a reason why Sukuma *cannot* say he's guilty and has to defend himself. It's not like the last couple of fights before that were anything but rule-bending exhibitions anyways

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Asuron posted:

I still feel like Sukuna has some specific issue with Yuuji, since he seems to dislike him personally, while other people generally receive either "interest" or "ambivalence."

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

cracking up that "hes as a good as gojo!!!!" turned out exactly how everyone predicted. there is no surprise or fun here. Just an expected turnout.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Feel pity for anyone who's first thought for an example of a good shonen fight is Deku vs Stain

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Feel pity for anyone who's first thought for an example of a good shonen fight is Deku vs Stain

It's not the best shonen fight, but it is an excellent one as an example. It shows two parties with clear philosophies, the fight goes back and forth illustrating the philosophies, the hero wins due to his philosophy prevailing but the villain gets a parting shot to allow his view to come back later for lingering impact.

Most of the time, there's a little more effort to get to that layer of a shonen fight scene. With Deku and Stain, it's all on display right in the open.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MonsterEnvy posted:

He explicitly said he won't get bored.

Every kid who says they won't get sick of eating candy learns that lesson real hard.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

I still feel like Sukuna has some specific issue with Yuuji, since he seems to dislike him personally, while other people generally receive either "interest" or "ambivalence."

If I had to spend a year or so trapped inside that moron I too would dislike him personally.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
There's absolutely more going on with Sukuna's antipathy and dismissal for Yuji. If Sukuna truly thought Yuji's so boring and annoying, he would have atomized him long ago. By this point I'm starting to think he just can't for one reason or the other.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think it makes sense that Sukuna hates Yuji; not only did Sukuna spend a good chunk of time in Yuji, but Yuji's kind selflessness is in complete, direct opposition to Sukuna's deathmatch seeking hedonism. Of course Sukuna would find that grating and really want to rub it in.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Next chapter will open with Higuruma and Yuji in an airport

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
To add to the interesting way enlightenment has been portrayed: I lile Sukuna because he avoids the villain trope of I’ll let you go now so I can fight you later at your FULL potential. It’s in character for him to dust Higuruma now. There’s no direct benefit or anything for Sukuna to gain by letting Higuruma live to further develop. Sure, Higuruma is talented, but so what. He’s just a slightly shinier rock than the usual.

His selfishness is consistent with his behavior throughout the entire series, as well as the destructive mindset that’s been pushed to be “the way” in jujutsu sorcery.

It’s also what sets him apart from the battle junkies of the Heien era. It makes it appear like he really is enlightened by comparison when honestly he’s way more bloodthirsty than any of them. His selfishness and understanding of it makes him seem positively sage-like, when we know that conventional enlightenment is quite literally the opposite.

He’s not Hisoka looking for the ultimate fight challenge to test and measure his skills. He already knows he’s the best, there isn’t anything to prove. He is, as he told Kashimo, just looking to kill time before death. It’s a neat spin on a concept embodied in a villain.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

trucutru posted:

Because, as the author, you want to make your characters take interesting paths and can certainly find ways for them to do so. Just add a reason why Sukuma *cannot* say he's guilty and has to defend himself. It's not like the last couple of fights before that were anything but rule-bending exhibitions anyways
It's not like I can't see you and ImpAtom's are trying to say but the problem is that the story doesn't have the mechanisms to forces Sukuna to take interesting paths and if it did you would make the story lesser in other areas without I think, a good tradeoff.

You could re-write the rules of Judgeman to compel someone to give an articulate defense of themselves but that takes away from one of the best moments in the culling game and post-shibuya JJK in general. If yuji has to dump about why he accepted those charges it's too may words to convey the guilt we saw nearly consume him in Shibuya. That one sentence after declaring himself guilty is all the story needs and is less words than how Sukuna handles his own conviction but far more valuable to the story for both Yuji and Higuruma as well. Changing this scene just so later Sukuna can later suck off his personal philosophy about how he's above everything and doesn't care about the law is just too boring in comparison. If you really wanted to change the current interaction I would rather have Higuruma internally monologue about something related to the evidence he acquires that is relevant to Sukuna. What that is, is up to you because we already know his backstory doesn't matter to him nor does Sukuna really try and justify himself other than through being stronger than everyone around him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

chiasaur11 posted:

The problem is that this type of villain has no interesting interactions with anyone else. See, I'll go back to one of my old standbys here. Shonen fights are philosophy debates with lasers. My Hero Academia, for all its flaws and all the complaints it gets in this thread in an attempt to defend post-Shibuya JJK, is a textbook in that, with Stain's fight as the star example. He believes one thing, Deku believes another, and they go back and forth illustrating their arguments with violence until Deku wins thanks to the intervention of a living illustration of the biggest flaw in Stain's worldview. (That is, Shoto illustrating Balboa's famous maxim: "I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!")

Sakuna, although he does have a lame tragic backstory, doesn't engage with his opponents philosophically in any interesting way. Even Dragon Ball's "I am the strongest Fight rear end in a top hat!" villains tried to make sure to have a hook to allow the heroes to grapple with them. (Most famously, Vegeta's disbelief that a "low class" saiyan could ever match the Prince of All Saiyans, contrasting Goku's philosophy of eternal self-betterment with Vegeta's complacency).

Sakuna's philosophy is "LOL, whatever", which makes for dull conflict. It's just slamming two numbers at each other. When he was limited by Yuji, he had inner conflict from being held back by the goody-two-shoes, and had enough mystery box that his interesting scenes (like "Be proud. You're strong.") might have gone somewhere cool. But when he's got those limits removed and the box opened, he's just an invincible wall of nothing who kills more interesting characters and then shrugs.

Actually Sukunas "LOL whatever" attitude has led to some of the funniest and most memorable scenes in the series between his loving with people (Yuji, the meteor dodging 'game' he forces people into, his reactions to Mahito in general) or his actual philosophy poo poo (As you see in his fights with Gojo and Jogo). Almost all of which are scenes where he doesn't have Yuji around at all.

You were strong and the surrounding imagery might be a meme now but it's because it genuinely strikes hard emotionally and evokes a reaction and it's built entire out if his character and philosophy.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 28, 2023

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Sukuna owns

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not the best shonen fight, but it is an excellent one as an example. It shows two parties with clear philosophies, the fight goes back and forth illustrating the philosophies, the hero wins due to his philosophy prevailing but the villain gets a parting shot to allow his view to come back later for lingering impact.

Most of the time, there's a little more effort to get to that layer of a shonen fight scene. With Deku and Stain, it's all on display right in the open.

Also I don't want this to get lost but I do not think a fight between an already blunt and simple character and the guy who only speaks in direct blunt quotes about his philosophy and just says "This is why I'm doing this!" over and over so that the 4 year olds reading the comic can understand it is a good example of writing.

It might be your preferred speed but it is kind of poo poo for anything other than a fairly straightforward story whose only real moral is "I wanna be a super hero and super heroes save people." Not to say JJK has that much depth but it's got more than that even at its worst.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Sukuna is a villain from the same cloth as Yujiro Hanma, he just wants to live a life filled with enjoyment and excitement, while also being the strongest and also pushing himself to the limit. He didn’t engage with Judgeman because he wants to move on to the fun part, not to spit in Higuruma’s face.

With regards to the most recent chapter: He ignores Yuji because Yuji is doing boring poo poo, maybe he thinks this will cause Yuji to awaken to a higher tier or maybe he genuinely doesn’t give a poo poo. Sukuna will give Yuji attention as soon as Yuji earns it by doing something interesting.

Anyway fully expect Sukuna to give a wounded Yuji imaginary miso soup only for Yuji to tell Sukuna it tastes like poo poo.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
The comparison to Yujiro is pretty apt I think, at least for his personality and outlook on life. I just think the problem that makes people think Sukuna's "boring" these last chapters is that he's not in any danger.

The Gojo fight was a festival of bullshit from both sides, and Gojo could have just won.It would be a subversion sure, and maybe not the best thing, but a lot of time and effort went into making him a credible threat. Right now, we're in the "every side character comes in, does something cool, gets praised, and loses" part of the fight, and without any deeper relations between the villain and the people he's owning, it really can seem boring.

That does highlight the one relation Sukuna has tho, with Yuji. These chapters really make it clear that Itadori pisses him off, and Sukuna hates having to deal with him. I'm really intrigued to know why.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I think people have been poisoned by MHA or something since it gets brought up so much.

In MHA all the bit characters get their moment and then get no-sold, but that's not what's going on here in JJK. What is currently happening is the bit-characters doing everything they can to support the main character.

Gojo took away Mahoraga from Sukuna so the others stand a chance.

Lawyer Guy gave it his all to get his domain going against the Big Bad and then passed the sword to our Protagonist.

Comedy Guy gave it his all to distract Big Bad 2 in order for Protagonist 2 to get his attack in.

This is a great way to use smaller side characters. They are supporting the main character and giving them opportunities and advantages against the villains.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yujiro is hilarious and sukuna isnt.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

I think people have been poisoned by MHA or something since it gets brought up so much.

In MHA all the bit characters get their moment and then get no-sold, but that's not what's going on here in JJK. What is currently happening is the bit-characters doing everything they can to support the main character.

Gojo took away Mahoraga from Sukuna so the others stand a chance.

Lawyer Guy gave it his all to get his domain going against the Big Bad and then passed the sword to our Protagonist.

Comedy Guy gave it his all to distract Big Bad 2 in order for Protagonist 2 to get his attack in.

This is a great way to use smaller side characters. They are supporting the main character and giving them opportunities and advantages against the villains.

That is literally what happened in MHA.

I think MHA gets brought up because the series is roughly at the same point plotwise.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 28, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Sukuna should have been shown to enjoy a nice bottle of Cognac or something.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Are you sure? I feel like this is the first time the good guys in a manga have ever worked as a team.

This scene but with a barrier

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 28, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

TheHan posted:

It sounds like the merger may happen anyways, so even if sukuna kills everyone here there's a new era of disgustingly strong curses and curse users coming. it's a cycle after all.

This is kind of an embarrassing question, but I still don't really understand the nomenclature being used.

I always got the impression that "curse user" was something applied to negative human forces in the Jujutsu world, like, Haruta being an example.

But:

1) There's always an undercurrent in JJK of good people doing bad things, so it feels somewhat strange to categorize them this way. A saliant example would be Miguel, who is on Kenjaku's crew but later chills with Yuta to accomplish his goals pertaining to the cursed rope (iirc)

2) Doesn't everyone use cursed energy? So aren't they all cursed users?

:shrug: I would be curious if anyone has a definitive answer here.

Am I the only one who viewed the anime-only addition of Sukuna grabbing the soft drink and popcorn after being tossed into the movie theatre during the makora fight as basically this?

I thought it was a clever device to convey that he's hedonistic above all else, he didn't love the soft drink but took a moment out of his time to try a novel experience during an otherwise important moment, but I'm probably reading into it a bit much.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 28, 2023

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I think 'curse-user' is just political terminology. It's what jujutsu sorcerers call evil sorcerers to distinguish them. Sort of like calling someone a criminal.

It's not like Suguru got new powers when he 'became a curse-user' or anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

I think 'curse-user' is just political terminology. It's what jujutsu sorcerers call evil sorcerers to distinguish them. Sort of like calling someone a criminal.

It's not like Suguru got new powers when he 'became a curse-user' or anything.

Yeah. "Curse-user" is just "Jujutsu Sorcerer Who Does Bad." It's one of those situations I think where I think the translation can confuse people, especially because like Geto is both a Curse-user and a dude whose fighting style literally involves using cursed spirits but he wasn't a Curse-User until he broke bad.

Honestly the inconsistency in the translation makes things more confusing than it needs to be. Jujutsu is just "sorcerery", A sorcerer is "Jujutsushi" (Master of Sorcerey) and a Curse-user is "Jusoshi" (Master of Cursing/Curses.) but mixing it up makes it less clear.

"Reverse Cursed Technique" is also a huge mess translation-wise that makes a simple concept way more confusing than it needs to be.
Like the translations use "reverse cursed energy" in places where the Japanese version just uses "正のエネルギー" or "Positive Energy" which... is what it is. You use Reversed Curse Technique to make Positive Energy and then use that energy. Technique in this case is also more akin to "Method" rather than "Ability/Skill."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 28, 2023

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Positive cursed energy makes more sense than just calling it reversed to explain why it does the opposite of regular cursed energy. It heals instead of destroys like regular cursed energy does but still originates from the same negative emotions of the human psyche.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Taima posted:

Am I the only one who viewed the anime-only addition of Sukuna grabbing the soft drink and popcorn after being tossed into the movie theatre during the makora fight as basically this?

I thought it was a clever device to convey that he's hedonistic above all else, he didn't love the soft drink but took a moment out of his time to try a novel experience during an otherwise important moment, but I'm probably reading into it a bit much.
I haven't been watching the anime. So I was luke-warm about seeing Sukuna having a snack during the fight but Mahoraga doing the breast stroke through a skyscraper was absolutely amazing. The rest of the fight is about what I'd expect after seeing how they extended Todo's locket scene. And even that is an understatement the whole fight is so ludicrously overblown with all the civilian casualties before Sukuna even does his domain expansion and all the flying around. The meme about the cameraman in an anime fight sequence is in full effect here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Positive cursed energy makes more sense than just calling it reversed to explain why it does the opposite of regular cursed energy. It heals instead of destroys like regular cursed energy does but still originates from the same negative emotions of the human psyche.

Yeah. The logic behind it is literally the same as multiplying two negative numbers together. If you multiply two negative numbers together you get a positive. If you 'multiply' negative cursed energy by negative cursed energy you get positive cursed energy.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

ImpAtom posted:

That is literally what happened in MHA.

I think MHA gets brought up because the series is roughly at the same point plotwise.

The bit characters accomplish nothing against the big villains in MHA in the current final showdown. In JJK a cartoon-man distracts one of the major villains so he gets his head lopped off by the protagonist. There's a distinct difference in there...

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

The bit characters accomplish nothing against the big villains in MHA in the current final showdown. In JJK a cartoon-man distracts one of the major villains so he gets his head lopped off by the protagonist. There's a distinct difference in there...

MHA spoilers.
The bit characters literally wear down the villain bit by bit until one of the two main characters can finally defeat him. Like literally, this is what happened, they state this in text onscreen, it ends with a baby getting blown up. It literally features a sequence where the cheering for one of the heroes worldwide causes a butterfly effect that gives him just enough of a boost to save All-Might from sure death.

Like MHA ain't exactly top of the line shonen but it's pretty disingenuous to go 'actually the bit characters didn't help the main characters at all.'

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 28, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Collapsing Farts posted:

The bit characters accomplish nothing against the big villains in MHA in the current final showdown.

wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

MHA spoilers.
The bit characters literally wear down the villain bit by bit until one of the two main characters can finally defeat him. Like literally, this is what happened, they state this in text onscreen, it ends with a baby getting blown up. It literally features a sequence where the cheering for one of the heroes worldwide causes a butterfly effect that gives him just enough of a boost to save All-Might from sure death.

Like MHA ain't exactly top of the line shonen but it's pretty disingenuous to go 'actually the bit characters didn't help the main characters at all.'

Everyone vaguely lowers a stamina meter you can't see and is arbitrarily lowered every few chapters until a character with any real arc to him steps in and does the same thing but it has tangible results. They're not aiding the protag, it's a make work program for the VAs.Even the poo poo with the quirk factors/quick midoclorian ghosts comes to nothing because while the villain says "Oh he's stopping me from using my quirks!" He then explodes into using all his quirks anyway. MHAs version of this is very good at telling you somethings important but never actually showing why (Which reflects on most of the cast in its final arc.) Which in effect isn't really doing anything

Both it's own Spin off and jjk is doing it is incomparable with how forced it feels in mha. That last Vigilantes fight not only is about how much the city loves the hero but you get.to see everyone's active tangible results of helping and what the hero learned from everyone that puts him over the top.

I can safely say that no theyre not actually aiding the protagonist or narrative in any significant way

The script says one thing but the narrative doesn't really follow. Which is why the last year plus of the arc has felt like it was spinning in place becauae until All Might and bakugo showed up it was just a nonstop cavalcade of every d lister showing up to throw out an attack that got no sold on loop.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 28, 2023