Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo Oda is going loving hard with this arc :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I cannot wait until Kuma paws himself to King Kai's planet w. Saturn and explodes him

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eiba posted:

Do you think Catarina's ability will let her trick a Seriphim into thinking she's a Gorosei? If she swoops in and steals them, that'd be pretty significant.

It’s an interesting theory, but Pacifista AI seems to be pretty good at seeing through disguises. Remember the one immediately after the time skip that recognized “Luffy” as Demalo Black and Usopp as Sogeking?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Silver2195 posted:

Usopp as Sogeking?

How good can it be if it thinks two different people are the same?

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

:hmmyes:

That would sync up with why Shanks was certain Blackbeard would show up at Wano and why he showed up to observe: Shanks was certain that Blackbeard would swoop in to steal Kaido's Zoan fruit, but actually he wants an even bigger prize in Saturn's Zoan fruit.

I'm not sure if this necessarily needs to be spoiled since it's just speculation and doesn't have anything to do with the events of the recent chapter, but I'll mark my post just in case.

Honestly if Blackbeard's after any specific zoan fruit it'd have to be Luffy's Nika fruit. In his recent appearances he's been specifically seeking out people with strong fruit powers and either stealing their powers, killing them, kidnapping them, or getting them to join him. What's curious to me is that no one in his crew other than BB has been shown to have more than one fruit power. That means that I think that one of the following is true. Either:

1. The ability to steal fruit powers is specific to either Blackbeard or the Darkness fruit itself. I don't want to get too deep into conjoined twin/multiple Blackbeards theories, but if anyone could have more than one fruit power then why hasn't it been done before?

2. Blackbeard doesn't trust any of his crewmates with the fruit-stealing secret. He betrayed Whitebeard and his crew is a bunch of self-serving assholes who'd betray him in turn given half the chance. If he told them how to steal fruit powers, what's stopping any of them from taking the Darkness and/or Quake fruit?

That's why I think that Blackbeard will show up in person on Egghead. Vegapunk's the prime person to figure out and explain what BB's deal is, being the devil fruit genius that he is. I'd forgotten the timeframe of Blackbeard's fight with Law happening around the same time as the Strawhats landing on Egghead, but let's be real: Blackbeard's got two members of his crew that can fly (Laffitte and Stronger) and a guy that can straight-up teleport (Van Augur). If he wants to go to Egghead, he can get to Egghead.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I'm just over here thinking about how a lesser comic artist would've ended this last chapter on Kuma landing the punch on Saturn for a cathartic moment to end the scene on, but in making the final trio of panels in order a.) Bonney, the reason that Kuma is fighting b.) Kuma, making the move to land the attack that he has spent dozens of chapters literally flying in to perform and c.) Saturn, realizing Kuma is about to Get He rear end without actually giving us that resolution -- especially going into a brief hiatus that lets that punch just HOVER in real time -- it creates a perfect microcosm of How We Got here at this moment of the story while leaving the much deserved landing of the punch to EXPLODE when we come back in a few weeks.

Between this and the panels of Kuma running throughout his life, or even something small like Bonney shifting immediately back to her own age when she lets her guard down and hugs Vegapunk in this same chapter, I just like to remember sometimes that Oda is not just a great storyteller but he very specifically is a great comic storyteller and his use of paneling is absolutely incredible on such a consistent basis that it can be easy to overlook just how much skill he has at it.

just tryin to say, one piece is good

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Based on the ending of this chapter, I'm assuming that whatever my guy scorponok is doing to stop everyone from moving doesn't work on Kuma because they deleted his soul or whatever? That would be amazing poetic justice.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Nikumatic posted:

I'm just over here thinking about how a lesser comic artist would've ended this last chapter on Kuma landing the punch on Saturn for a cathartic moment to end the scene on, but in making the final trio of panels in order a.) Bonney, the reason that Kuma is fighting b.) Kuma, making the move to land the attack that he has spent dozens of chapters literally flying in to perform and c.) Saturn, realizing Kuma is about to Get He rear end without actually giving us that resolution -- especially going into a brief hiatus that lets that punch just HOVER in real time -- it creates a perfect microcosm of How We Got here at this moment of the story while leaving the much deserved landing of the punch to EXPLODE when we come back in a few weeks.

Between this and the panels of Kuma running throughout his life, or even something small like Bonney shifting immediately back to her own age when she lets her guard down and hugs Vegapunk in this same chapter, I just like to remember sometimes that Oda is not just a great storyteller but he very specifically is a great comic storyteller and his use of paneling is absolutely incredible on such a consistent basis that it can be easy to overlook just how much skill he has at it.

just tryin to say, one piece is good

oda is possibly the best to ever do it tbh

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Oda is the mangaka who inherited the will of Tezuka.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Whitebeard is surely a Buccaneer, right? The emphasis on wanting to find family, something the Bucs seem cursed not to have, the physical appearance, his habit of talking about "God" when drunk (Nika??)...he's got to be one, no?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tbp posted:

Whitebeard is surely a Buccaneer, right? The emphasis on wanting to find family, something the Bucs seem cursed not to have, the physical appearance, his habit of talking about "God" when drunk (Nika??)...he's got to be one, no?

Yeah probably

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Whitebeard just looks like a giant dude grown up unlike Kuma, some people are just weird lookin' kids, or just weird in general.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tbp posted:

wasn't the comic originally supposed to be a normal 200-300 chapters long before it exploded in popularity, forcing Oda to kinda duplicate a lot of work?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think that's why some New World arcs feel like a reflection of what came before.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I remember being confused at why Bonney had a 'buccaneer' form if Kuma wasn't her biological father but in retrospect it's obvious that her inspiring adoptive father would be the thing that drives her power rather than her genetics. And that to her Nika looks like Kuma.

Pretty sure Bonney's power will be wild when she actually makes the Gear 5 link.

tbp posted:

Idk there are tonnes of people who are randomly huge in the series. The thing that sets Kuma and his dad aside is more the whacky proportions and it does sound like Kuma is probably the only buccaneer who's truly 'at large' given how much the world government wants to suppress them.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 29, 2023

FriedDijaaj
Feb 15, 2012

tbp posted:

lets Kill Saint Jay Garcia Saturn

I’ll be grateful when he’s dead

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah, Whitebeard has more normal proportions, he's not all top-heavy like Kuma. There are plenty of normal humans in One Piece who are like 20 feet tall, it's no big deal.

I could believe him originally having Kuma's backstory, at least in part, though. Oda has obviously shifted things around a lot as the series goes on and on (though he does a great job making it all fit).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
whiteBEARd
bosoromi BEAR

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Potato Salad posted:

wasn't the comic originally supposed to be a normal 200-300 chapters long before it exploded in popularity, forcing Oda to kinda duplicate a lot of work?

whitebeard's first appearance was one chapter after kuma's

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

the original ending was skypiea, which is also just after whitebeard, kuma, the five stars, blackbeard, and doflamingo are formally introduced. prior to jaya, blackbeard and whitebeard where just figures in ace’s story. i think the cutaways during jaya can tell us a lot about how far ahead oda planned, since they were likely written around when oda learned he could get infinity chapters. for instance, i would believe he had kuma’s general deal planned around then, and i would also believe that he spun whitebeard off of kuma as an idea of what a buccaneer would be like if they weren’t a pacifist. imagine a whole nation of buccaneers…..

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thought the original ending was Arabasta

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

iirc Oda said the 4 emperors were gonna be the main antagonists and the 7 warlords were a thing he came up with because it sounded cool and they ended up extending the series by hundreds of chapters

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Thought the original ending was Arabasta

maybe as of the end of orange town but that couldn’t have lasted long

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Augus posted:

iirc Oda said the 4 emperors were gonna be the main antagonists and the 7 warlords were a thing he came up with because it sounded cool and they ended up extending the series by hundreds of chapters

the amount of den den mushi ppl play with odas statements is kinda remarkable

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Original Ending was getting the One Piece. Oda has just had fun filling out extra things on the way.

Like Vivi was entirely a spontaneous thing that came about because Oda decided to draw Ms Wednesday with her hair down and thought she looked like a Princess.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 29, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I guess actually checking things Oda has never said on what arc the manga was originally going to end but and more he said the manga was only supposed to last 5 years (which in actual One Piece was about the start of Jaya but kinda doubt that means it was originally planned as the final arc).

Probably I guess more likely plans have been changing plenty of times over the last 25 years and while elements of the original ideas still remain a lot is wholly new.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Begemot posted:

Yeah, Whitebeard has more normal proportions, he's not all top-heavy like Kuma. There are plenty of normal humans in One Piece who are like 20 feet tall, it's no big deal.\

whitebeard is a normally proportioned huge guy but weevil absolutely has the kuma body type and seems likely to be a clone of whitebeard so i do wonder what's going on there

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
whitebeard is obviously a buccanneer. all the evidence points to it. dude was the strongest man in the world because he was a buccaneer fhat actually worked out

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tbp posted:

Ayy someone made a nice image for this. Forever ago I thought the same thing, still do. I forget when someone said Kuma was the last of them, which might be a quirk in the theory, but it works so well. Been waiting for an SBS where someone asks Oda bout it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't know why people think certain arcs were the original ending. Oda clearly came into this with a general idea for the plot, started off episodic when he didn't know if he'd even be picked up, transitioned into sagas when it was clear he had this, then let his imagination go wild when it became clear he could write this as long as he wanted.

The progression was
-Let's get to the Grand Line, that's where the One Piece is
-Actually we've got to get to the end of the Grand line for the treasure
-So really the Grand line is actually 2 places
-When I said treasure I actually meant a world shaking mass of knowledge that'll change everything!

scary ghost dog posted:

whitebeard is obviously a buccanneer. all the evidence points to it. dude was the strongest man in the world because he was a buccaneer fhat actually worked out

The Void Century is actually the accumulated skipped leg days of all the characters in the manga.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 29, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My assumption is that the original plan was an adventure story way more focused on finding The One Piece, with less worldbuilding and the World Government being more of a final villain to face in the story rather than something whose method of operation is heavily explored. Like I think we could be at pretty much the same place wrt The Quest for The One Piece if the arcs just ran East Blue/ Alabaster/ Skypeia/ Enies Lobby/ Fishman Island/ WCI/ Wano (note that Fishman Island is mentioned as the next destination a long time before we actually get there).

Which is not to say that the other arcs are bad, the worldbuilding and inter-faction conflict made the story far richer in my view. And I don't think Oda necessarily threw away his original template, it's just some of it got pushed back hundreds of chapters.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s baffling to me that Jinbei was name-dropped all the way back at the beginning of Arlong Park

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I want to buy Zoro's dragon shirt

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Now I'm curious about what sort of things Oda has name-dropped that haven't come to fruition or got left along the wayside. At least some of the legendary swords but I'm sure there's more.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if the final part of the story is largely unchanged regardless of what else has developed along the way- what OP is, what it means for Luffy to become the pirate king, any last minute twists with Shanks or Buggy etc might not need much tweaking if a lot of the world government stuff is resolved first.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the super big people in OP were distant descendants of Buccaneers, like how that one girl in Water 7 is like a quarter mermaid which just means she can swim good, or Delinger being part Fishman which means he just gets the fangs (and I think fin?)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Does feel like we're overdue for some race-based story beat to hit soon (probably the void century) given how we've now just had two "last of their race" character details drop in the past year. Assume it's "something something moons many races, Imu is extincting the minority races that have inherit powers that could rise against them, etc. etc."

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Thankfully the last race-based story in one piece was just a bad fan translation and it was actually about afro-power.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
One Piece was originally supposed to end after Goku beat Frieza on Namek.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
One Piece was supposed to end at Loguetown, Luffy was actually supposed to be executed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yamato is a man because Boichi drew him like a human being. Checkmate, One Piece fans.