Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
apple more like crapple xD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
But for real fuckem

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

verbal enema posted:

But for real fuckem

thusly this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RuBisCO posted:

Hang in there brother (friendly, non-gendered) I believe in you.

I closed my condo in 2019 and it took 3+ years of not doing poo poo to finally breathe again. Sure am looking forward to renewing my mortgage in 2024...

My big new years resolution is to put myself on the job market again, I need something that can pay this mortgage and won't kill my soul like retail

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can anyone recommend a good free word processor that won't harass me a million times to upgrade for new features? I lost my MS Word disk from ten years ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

OpenOffice

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arc Hammer posted:

Can anyone recommend a good free word processor that won't harass me a million times to upgrade for new features? I lost my MS Word disk from ten years ago.

just as an fyi if you're interested, lodge north sells office keys at fairly reasonable prices in the sa mart.
that's what i'm using.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
were i to visit japan i think i would hang out in one neighborhood for a couple weeks and just vibe. so thats my suggestion

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i got a handmade map of the neighborhood from the owner of a tiny bar, maybe try hanging out here:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Arc Hammer posted:

Libre office

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i trust anyone who loves their neighborhood enough to draw a little map of it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

This

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ohtori Akio posted:

i trust anyone who loves their neighborhood enough to draw a little map of it

his bar was sick. like 6 seats in a tiny room full of his art and kaiju action figures

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I use LibreOffice regularly, works great

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

yup

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Big Leg posted:

i got a handmade map of the neighborhood from the owner of a tiny bar, maybe try hanging out here:

ftw

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Big Leg posted:

lol this owns

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

All I've been doing is playing the granblue fighting game, doing drugs, and sleeping

Happy 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Big Leg posted:

This is me playing Yakuza like an old school adventure game and taking down notes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Big Leg posted:

I want to know what coco-ichi curry tastes like.

I'll check this out, thanks!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

this owns

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

RuBisCO posted:

Booked a flight to Japan for Mar/Apr :toot:

It'll be my first time, anime chat thread please give me some to-dos

People say that Ikebukuro is overtaking Akihabara as the nerd area but Akihabara is still cool as heck. If you love nerd stuff it’s a great area to just walk around because there will be a ton of shops over there.

If you like Final Fantasy or FFXIV, the FFXIV cafe is neat, and incredibly easy to do a reservation for online using tablecheck.

Definitely go to the Skytree, and I would recommend getting a ticket that will let you get to the highest deck, but the lower deck is still cool as well.

It’s totally easy to do day trips out to places. I would recommend planning for two days in Yokohama. I did it in one day but I rushed the Ramen museum and only ate there and didn’t look around. You can see the giant Gundam that moves there, and get close up to it. I went and did the Kirin beer factory tour, where if you like beer (I’m not in love with it, but it tasted way better than I remember beer tasting) and you will get a ridiculously silly amount of beer for 5$ and it’s a cool experience.

If you swing by Kyoto, I’d recommend taking some time out and going to the Toei movie studio lot. There’s a whole bunch of experiences (the haunted house kind of sucked because I didn’t quite realize what I was supposed to do) but it’s really cool and they have a giant Evangelion exhibit there.

I booked a green tea making session when I was out there, and even though there wasn’t a translator they helped you muddle through the process decently enough that it’s doable with almost no Japanese. I then hit up matcha road and had green tea beer and green tea gyoza. They were okay but it was a great experience to have.

I’d recommend going to check out Mount Fuji but don’t do what I did and do a tour bus. It sucks, cause you get shuffled around to places and have to watch the time so much. Try and get there on your own.

My last recommendation would be to check out the website Gowithguide.com. The great thing about it is that it uses local people and not official big guide tour stuff so you can get someone that is knowledgeable about the area and speaks great English. I would check around and see if anything looks cool.

I used this guide https://gowithguide.com/japan/tour/tokyo-ghibli-museum-edo-tokyo-architecture-museum-private-tour-4432 (I didn’t do the Ghibli Musuem, I just did Edo Tokyo) and he was awesome. He showed me a cool spot where fish gathered and we fed fish, and he had a whole bunch of cool information about the buildings, and even showed which buildings he was sure made it into Miyazaki movies. Afterwards he asked if we could make a detour and he showed me a sweet apartment building that was built into a hill so you could see where it starts with like, 8 floors and then goes only to 4. He was a retired engineer (I think) who had lived in America for a while so his English was great.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

My last recommendation would be to check out the website Gowithguide.com. The great thing about it is that it uses local people and not official big guide tour stuff so you can get someone that is knowledgeable about the area and speaks great English. I would check around and see if anything looks cool.

aw man now I wanna be shown around tokyo by a kindly old man like Yoshi

https://gowithguide.com/supplier/7038

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Arc Hammer posted:

there's strange creatures in some sections of the river, but i guess the coco-ichi curry next to the 'X hotel' is cool too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

Thanks everyone made note of everything

I would love to, but I'm not super comfortable with public bathing and I have tattoos so I don't know if they would be either. I wonder how cost prohibitive a private onsen/ryokan experience would be
some ryokan have private baths for each room but those are gonna run you like 400 a night minimum. that said theres a lot of ryokan that meet you halfway and have the bath booked for each party at specific times. so like you and whoever else you're with get it from like 8:30 to 9. depending on how full they are and how many rooms they have you might get it either pretty early in the day or very late at night but its still an option, and its a lot cheaper than a full private room. theres a market that understands that foreigners wanna experience the hot springs but arent as culturally used to communal bathing.

as for tattoos i mostly see tattoo policies at big public baths, not really ryokans. theyre usually more lenient with foreigners too. overall its something to look into, you might be able to find something that suits your needs

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

make sure to grab the Rail Pass.
It covers unlimited rides on like about every JR train and a bunch of bullet trains, open only to tourists. Will easily make its value and more if your planning to do any sort of travel at all.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
do i understand correctly that tattoo policies are at least somewhat so you do not become the gangster bath house

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

i think you probably get a pass if you look like a regular gaijin tourist, unless you are asian as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

do i understand correctly that tattoo policies are at least somewhat so you do not become the gangster bath house

yeah basically. its a relic from the late 80s/early 90s when the yakuza were way more prominent and operated out in the open. if you allowed tattoos then basically your only customers would be yakuza, because as soon as one guy realized you did hed bring his boys, and then theyd bring their boys, and then theyd bring their boys, and then their boss would hear about it, etc. and then theres the worry of two rival factions both finding out about it and trying to stake a claim to it.

funnily even some yakuza-owned bath houses didnt allow tattoos because they wanted to appear legitimate. what yakuza owned clusters of them would do is basically make the most out of the way, back alley one allow tattoos so they could use it as their personal one for the gang and then make the others operate like any other bath house with banning tattoos.

these days the yakuza dont operate nearly as openly or aggressively and tattoos are more common among regular people so there's a lot more leeway, especially if your tattoos dont really look like yakuza tattoos with the big elaborate back patterns.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

GateOfD posted:

i think you probably get a pass if you look like a regular gaijin tourist, unless you are asian as well.

I am asian as well lol

Endorph posted:

some ryokan have private baths for each room but those are gonna run you like 400 a night minimum. that said theres a lot of ryokan that meet you halfway and have the bath booked for each party at specific times. so like you and whoever else you're with get it from like 8:30 to 9. depending on how full they are and how many rooms they have you might get it either pretty early in the day or very late at night but its still an option, and its a lot cheaper than a full private room. theres a market that understands that foreigners wanna experience the hot springs but arent as culturally used to communal bathing.

as for tattoos i mostly see tattoo policies at big public baths, not really ryokans. theyre usually more lenient with foreigners too. overall its something to look into, you might be able to find something that suits your needs

But this is great advice, thank you. Taking baths is like one of my all-time favourite things in the world and I just want to soak in some hot springs. Just, well, $$$.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Find the sento with the lowest ratings on Google maps and then nudely hang out with the cool yakuza dudes with the badass full body tattoos.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Okay but the anime chat thread better pay my kidnapping ransom

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GateOfD posted:

make sure to grab the Rail Pass.
It covers unlimited rides on like about every JR train and a bunch of bullet trains, open only to tourists. Will easily make its value and more if your planning to do any sort of travel at all.
the price on those like doubled recently and its not really a deal anymore unless youre spending the entire trip on a train

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you like museums the Tokyo National Museum is definitely worth a visit, can take an entire day if you want to see everything. The cafe food is solid too if you don't really want to leave for lunch (though you can if you want, tickets can be used to reenter on the same day).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

the price on those like doubled recently and its not really a deal anymore unless youre spending the entire trip on a train

tbh that might still be worth it just for like, saving you the hassle of getting a ticket every single time you need to get on one

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
id enjoy to ahng out at a yakuza bath house but i suspect they would not be Woke about it, per se

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

I am asian as well lol

Just keep loudly saying stuff like SUMIMASEN and NIHONGO WAKARIMASEN and TOIRE WA DOKO DESU KA

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

Just keep loudly saying stuff like SUMIMASEN and NIHONGO WAKARIMASEN and TOIRE WA DOKO DESU KA

FOOD

EAT

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm Asian too and I didn't get a single nihongo jouzu so I think they just thought I was a Japanese dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot pot
Sep 17, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.ichibanya.co.jp/english/ <----- Pictures and their menu
https://ichibanyausa.com/ <----- US branch

Coco's is just Japanese-style curry, but you can adjust the spice level however you want, from 0 (no spice) to 10 (like inhaling ghost peppers).