Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

AnEdgelord posted:

also lol that a hyper-dystopian police state has a shortage of criminals

It's not direct canon, but the Left 4 Dead clone that's out at the moment features the player as a former-criminal current-penal-legionary for a shadowy Inquisitor trying to keep a Traitor Guard army from taking over a productive Hive World, and the crimes generated for characters could be 'looking a Noble in the eye'-level of pettiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah you can get turned into a servitor for not meeting your work quota, which unfortunately got increased with retroactive effect yesterday. Off you go!

A massive percentage of criminals in our contemporary society wouldn't be considered criminals in a just system.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Servitors being primarily vat grown clones is high grade copium. Use of high grade copium by a non-noble is a class three offense. The punishment is servitorization. Sorry, I don't make the rules, apostate.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

habeasdorkus posted:

Servitors being primarily vat grown clones is high grade copium. Use of high grade copium by a non-noble is a class three offense. The punishment is servitorization. Sorry, I don't make the rules, apostate.

as hosed up as servitors are, the imperium as it currently exists needs them, they do massive amounts of work to maintain the system. what's more, it allows for automation in a society that has banned thinking machines after an apocalyptic war, and though horrific, it does makes the servitor way less appealing to chaos. both as a source of sustenance, and less likely to start praying for a better life.
for all these talks of small grouping of planets being better able to survive against chaos, how are they going to survive against a Waagh? or a couple craftworlds coming together under a farseer to eliminate these mon-keigh?
a good thing about the horus heresy setting, especially the early books, is how humanity may have survived without connection to Earth, but they hardly thrived. and there's just as many societies that worship chaos as oppose it.
i always see people complaining about the imperium using ignorance, but i think that's ignoring (haha) that merely knowing about chaos strengthens it, and even if you told people that wishing things from chaos always backfires, telling people that you can pray to this thing and get something back would have people thinking they could rules-lawyer it.
the vast and uncaring imperium is probably humanity's only chance against the tyranids. even the vastly powerful world that had age of technology tech that macharius ran into still fell to a redirected comet, the tyranids could easily pull off the same.
for all its many flaws, the imperium is still humanity's best chance against a vast and uncaring universe, and many of it's more oppressive measures are justified using in-universe reasoning.
it would be as easy to poke holes in anyone's idea of a more perfect imperium as it is to point out the flaws with the imperium as it is.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Fully servitorized and loving it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kylaer posted:

Fully servitorized and loving it

Hell, they get job security and a daily nutrient feed. Presumably they're housed somewhere as well. We should all be so lucky

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ardent Communist posted:

as hosed up as servitors are, the imperium as it currently exists needs them, they do massive amounts of work to maintain the system. what's more, it allows for automation in a society that has banned thinking machines after an apocalyptic war, and though horrific, it does makes the servitor way less appealing to chaos. both as a source of sustenance, and less likely to start praying for a better life.
for all these talks of small grouping of planets being better able to survive against chaos, how are they going to survive against a Waagh? or a couple craftworlds coming together under a farseer to eliminate these mon-keigh?
a good thing about the horus heresy setting, especially the early books, is how humanity may have survived without connection to Earth, but they hardly thrived. and there's just as many societies that worship chaos as oppose it.
i always see people complaining about the imperium using ignorance, but i think that's ignoring (haha) that merely knowing about chaos strengthens it, and even if you told people that wishing things from chaos always backfires, telling people that you can pray to this thing and get something back would have people thinking they could rules-lawyer it.
the vast and uncaring imperium is probably humanity's only chance against the tyranids. even the vastly powerful world that had age of technology tech that macharius ran into still fell to a redirected comet, the tyranids could easily pull off the same.
for all its many flaws, the imperium is still humanity's best chance against a vast and uncaring universe, and many of it's more oppressive measures are justified using in-universe reasoning.
it would be as easy to poke holes in anyone's idea of a more perfect imperium as it is to point out the flaws with the imperium as it is.

Smaller states that aren't as dumb as the imperium can fight back and survive, thats what the Tau and Kin are. Small sectors get destroyed all the time under the imperium, because something the imperium is also very bad at despite spreading misery wherever it goes is actually protecting the planets its supposed to justify its existence to. Which is the recurring real world state that actual fascism finds itself under a lot, being really bad at actually dealing with the issues it tries to use to justify itself. Usually craftworlds try basic diplomacy before they go to warfare anyways too, there's a lot of human-eldar war that would have been avoided with even the smallest amount of compromise or understanding. The kin are able to have nominally friendly relations with the craftworlds because they are capable of it.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Smaller states that aren't as dumb as the imperium can fight back and survive, thats what the Tau and Kin are. Small sectors get destroyed all the time under the imperium, because something the imperium is also very bad at despite spreading misery wherever it goes is actually protecting the planets its supposed to justify its existence to. Usually craftworlds try basic diplomacy before they go to warfare anyways too, there's a lot of human-eldar war that would have been avoided with even the smallest amount of compromise or understanding.

isn't one of the main things about the t'au in the lore that the only reason for their continued existence is that none of the big bads in the universe have ever focused their full attention of them? both them and the kin have the advantage that the imperium is the lightning rod that attracts all of their enemies ire, if it didn't exist, all these well ordered small states would be overrun by numbers if nothing else.
the shambling edifice that is the imperium might be too slow to prevent your planet falling to the waagh, but it will eventually marshal the resources to retake your planet and it certainly won't let the whole sector fall without a hell of a fight.
twice dead king is pretty good for explaining exactly what a crusade fleet means to anything that's not a galaxy spanning empire.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AnEdgelord posted:

I mean that isn't the case in Day of Ascension, they're harvesting a percentage of the population on the forge world for Servitorization on a yearly schedule. Its the central conflict of the book.

I would also like to point out that one of the central traits of the imperium is that its overpopulated as gently caress and has manpower to spare, to the point that their own populations are one of the main sources of food. They have a titanic population to harvest servitors from.

i thought those were more the skitari. the world had been pulling kids and young away for skitarri recruitment for decades or longer and a bunch of them ended up being related to genestealers and near the end, they wake up. Skitarri are bad but no where as bad as servitors.

also late happy holidays.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Black Griffon posted:

A massive percentage of criminals in our contemporary society wouldn't be considered criminals in a just system.

Thankfully, getting caught selling weed three different times will get you life, so we have a large supply of servitors ready for conversion whenever the technology becomes reality!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ardent Communist posted:

isn't one of the main things about the t'au in the lore that the only reason for their continued existence is that none of the big bads in the universe have ever focused their full attention of them? both them and the kin have the advantage that the imperium is the lightning rod that attracts all of their enemies ire, if it didn't exist, all these well ordered small states would be overrun by numbers if nothing else.
the shambling edifice that is the imperium might be too slow to prevent your planet falling to the waagh, but it will eventually marshal the resources to retake your planet and it certainly won't let the whole sector fall without a hell of a fight.
twice dead king is pretty good for explaining exactly what a crusade fleet means to anything that's not a galaxy spanning empire.

No that's actually a good point, that the biggest threat to a better imperium is the imperium itself, as seen recently in Rogue Trader. It will destroy any better option to justify its own existence and it requires powerful forces to keep it off your doorstep. Thankfully though any small state can ally with these other powers that are all over the galaxy. Hence the Kin working with both the Tau and Eldar to further their own existence. In Twice dead if the dynasty had been united and marshalled quicker they would have annihilated the Crusade Fleet, the situation got so dire because the Dynast had let everything go for so long that nobody was war ready, and when the twice dead king becomes the twice dead king, the problem is solved rather quickly. The Imperium is strong but as their constant failure to actually protect planets and people shows, they're not invincible.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 29, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The destruction of living standards under neoliberal western regimes since the 1980s has kind of undercut some of the original criticism of the setting while I suppose highlighting others

Idk. The IOM is enormous and any statement about it is at least partially true somewhere

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As long as a governor pays the tithe and doesn’t openly worship someone other than teom, they can pretty much do what they want. I’m sure there are some relative “paradise” worlds out there

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

As long as a governor pays the tithe and doesn’t openly worship someone other than teom, they can pretty much do what they want. I’m sure there are some relative “paradise” worlds out there

Yeah there's actual paradise worlds, you can totally go to a place that's exactly like Risa from star trek but with more skulls and lobotmized cherubs. Climate Controlled weather stations and tropical beaches untouched by industrialization. Only the real nobility have freedom of travel though. Despite the poverty of your average hive the wealthy live in futuristic luxury and all the pomp and circumstance that entails.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

euphronius posted:

There's a good one in the second Carcharadons book, a resort planet for imperial nobility to go on lavish cruises then the Carcharadons lure a dark eldar raiding party onto the mega cruise ship:unsmigghh:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ardent Communist posted:

i always see people complaining about the imperium using ignorance, but i think that's ignoring (haha) that merely knowing about chaos strengthens it, and even if you told people that wishing things from chaos always backfires, telling people that you can pray to this thing and get something back would have people thinking they could rules-lawyer it.perfect imperium as it is to point out the flaws with the imperium as it is.

The whole central thesis of the Horus Heresy books is that Big E completely hosed up by not telling AT LEAST the Primarchs about Chaos, and by implication the wider Imperium as well. It's a thin needle to thread, and might well be impossible but sticking your head in the sand ultimately makes things worse.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sharkopath posted:

I could see on a forge world where the mechanicus already has systems in place for vat growing themselves and a massive need for large numbers of servitors they might mostly be clones.

I swear to god one of the forge worlds in the 8th or 9th edition AdMech codex had a short describing a Tyranid invasion being overpowered by how fast they were able to build new servitors by recycling the dead ones for bionics and material for clones but gently caress if I can find it.

I definitely remember AdMech characters in novels mentioning planets where the majority of the population got servitor'd because they needed the labour.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

euphronius posted:

The destruction of living standards under neoliberal western regimes since the 1980s has kind of undercut some of the original criticism of the setting while I suppose highlighting others

Actually I think it bites quite a bit harder, whereas a lot of other dystopian fiction imagines a clean and efficient tyranny from which there was no escape, 40k takes the even more cynical view that even the tyranny will be slapdash and shoddy, the entire human race caught between uncaring insanely out of touch aristocrats and cynical ruthless crimelords/warlords (depending on the specifics of the planet), at the mercy of a law that has all the power in the world to punish you and none to protect you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

wiegieman posted:

Most servitors are clones, since there are way more of them than there are criminals. The Imperium makes them out of people anyway because it's a horrifying punishment.

It doesn't matter that a servitor made out of a random criminal is going to be vastly inferior to the healthy clones that don't reject implants and have no minds, the horror is the point. There's nothing they can't take from you.

It's explicit that regular people make for "smarter" servitors. Cloned servitors seem to be more common for the combat ones like the Kataphrons. I'd like to quote the excellent Flesh And Steel by Guy Haley

quote:

‘Both of them had contact indirectly with Chen-Chen. The first, Soven Iskritska, was a procurer of flesh components. His role was to assess criminals and mark those of above-average intellect for sequestration to the artisanal workshops. The creation of Alpha-Plus-grade servitors requires good quality parts.’
‘I looked into him,’ I said. ‘There was no official record of him performing this role for you.’
‘Why would we rely on non-Mechanicus systems? They are inferior, and misleading. Iskritska worked for us on a contractual basis, using his contacts and his knowledge of these people first-hand. He was a criminal once, but it was all perfectly legal according to the Lex Imperium, Lex Alecto and Lore Mechanicus. I will send you the appropriate documentation, if you wish.’
‘What do you need him for? Don’t you assess people, the components, internally, when they get here?’
Archmagos 237089’s face rippled with irritation. ‘It is part of the process. However, synaptic scans are not infallible. Often the processing power of the individual brain exceeds what its base architecture might suggest. Iskritska’s role was to predefine, to allot the components to smaller groupings intended for deeper testing. The field must be narrowed to ensure maximum productivity. He had a talent for this kind of work.’
‘He was an assessor, then?’

I'll also add these haunting passages from the servitor factory floor sequence.

quote:

Naked human beings were standing in a switchbacked line between high fences. Outside the fences Adeptus Mechanicus menials in environment suits stood guard with shock goads in hand. The people, all mature men and women, were shepherded down the caged walk like livestock. And they were food beasts being led to the slaughter, meat for the ravenous appetite of the Machine-God. I grew up lucky enough to eat real meat. I was unlucky enough to see where it came from – another gift of my father on another drat tour of my family’s various businesses. The manufactorum produced servitors, but it was more akin to an abattoir than a workshop. Every surface was easily cleanable. Large plastek flaps divided areas from each other. Servitors with spray units surgically attached to their backs prowled about, hosing filth into slit drains set into the perfectly smooth, slanted floors. We walked above all this, past sentry pods on spikes occupied by galvanic rifle-armed snipers. Our path went from one end of the hall to the other, and I could see pretty much the whole sorting process, beginning to end.
As the line slowly advanced, the people were passed through various scanning devices, most of them mounted in ugly, functional arches that let out a constant series of acceptance chimes. Occasionally, one would let out an angry blare, and the indicator lumens would flash red. The rejected person was then swallowed up by a trapdoor opening beneath their feet. From these pits wafted a hideous stench, and the grinding sounds of industrial mincers. One rejected man grabbed on to the lip and hung there, arms and hands bloodied, shouting a stream of defiant profanities. Guards lined the grating either side of him and shocked him until he fell. The adepts wouldn’t even waste bullets on these people.
The trapdoor flipped up, and the next terrified person was ushered forward.
A number of pneumatic gates separated the people from each part of the process, snapping open and shut with bone-crushing force.
Violent metal arms snatched them up and spread-eagled them in the air, and a servitor shearer shaved them all over. At another they were subjected to a high-pressure counterseptic wash whose chemical stink made me choke from a hundred feet away. More scanners, more rejects winnowed out. Machines forcibly dressed them in the heavy rubberised garments common to all mono-tasked servitors. These were saggy on them, all one size, until another process force-shrank them to fit their bodies where metal cuffs, sockets and collars bit into vulnerable flesh. The last few prayers gave way to screams at that point, and even the most stoic shouted in pain. They were ushered over a floor buzzing with power that made them shriek with every footstep.
‘What’s that for?’ I asked.
Djelling answered only reluctantly. ‘Follicular inhibitor. To stop their hair growing,’ he said.
‘How?’ I asked.
Djelling was done answering. ‘Come, come, this way.’ He waved me over to a door.
I didn’t come this way. I watched numbly. The shivering lines of terrified men and women reached a final series of gates, where a high-energy augur beam of such potency it made my dataslate buzz passed over them. Dazed, they were manhandled into different queues, and then hustled from the room to their fates.
Djelling gripped my elbow with surprising strength and pushed me out of the hall.
‘This way. Please,’ he said.
Thankfully, I was spared a view of the surgeries. I doubted the Adeptus Mechanicus provided anaesthetic, for the same reasons they would not dull the pain of a nail under the hammer.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah but the obscure farming planet of Tolkeinburg IV is nice so is the Imperium really that bad? Need I remind you that somewhere out there a guy might be doing something evil? Sure they servitorise petty criminals, and have state-sanctioned "witch" burnings, and pogroms among the mutant slave-labour caste, and they're all virulent alien-racists indoctrinated since birth into an openly hateful and fascistic theocracy, but... oh hmm

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Like I said earlier, planets like the one in Fifteen Hours only exist to be part of a tragic backstory and/or to be tragically threatened

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah but the obscure farming planet of Tolkeinburg IV is nice so is the Imperium really that bad? Need I remind you that somewhere out there a guy might be doing something evil? Sure they servitorise petty criminals, and have state-sanctioned "witch" burnings, and pogroms among the mutant slave-labour caste, and they're all virulent alien-racists indoctrinated since birth into an openly hateful and fascistic theocracy, but... oh hmm

Listen bud, the imperium might be the worst version of itself, a galaxy-spanning suffering generator with an output that makes the four salivate, a nightmare slouching towards an ignoble end and the focus of stories where the explicit message is that it's a self-sabotaging beast that denies any attempt at improvement or reformation, but it's simply the best chance against chaos. We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Black Griffon posted:

Listen bud, the imperium might be the worst version of itself, a galaxy-spanning suffering generator with an output that makes the four salivate, a nightmare slouching towards an ignoble end and the focus of stories where the explicit message is that it's a self-sabotaging beast that denies any attempt at improvement or reformation, but it's simply the best chance against chaos. We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas.

In fairness, Big E did try enforced atheism as a method for starving Chaos of belief and power, so you can't say they tried nothing :v: But Chaos has its own agency and is far more than a passive reflection, so the Ruinous Powers took issue with that plan and came up with their own.

I don't think anyone in this thread is actually thinking the Imperium is a good thing. I do think that anyone who thinks the Imperium is the obstacle between humanity and peace, and if the Imperium could be destroyed or massively reformed then humanity would be alright, is missing the point of 40K. Because the point of 40K is that there is no way out - there is no solution, horror and atrocity are inevitable, and if it's not being inflicted by one source it'll be inflicted by another.

Sharkopath posted:

In isolation smaller pockets of humanity probably could have acted as better wardens and bastions against a Chaos that didn't have multiple primarchs, Chaos marine legions, and heretek daemon engines as it's agents in the materlum, but because the emperor did what he did now they can reach their hands out and send entire star systems of the galaxy screaming into the warp, and getting stronger every time they do. The imperium is Chaos's greatest ally.

Now this is actually a really interesting take and I like it. Are there any examples in the fiction besides Caliban of pre-Great Crusade societies that had Warp influence and how they handled Chaos? Caliban was a hunting preserve with humans being the game animals, but what about Chogoris or Fenris? They had psyker traditions so they must have had something established socially to keep them from daemon'ing everywhere.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Kylaer posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread is actually thinking the Imperium is a good thing. I do think that anyone who thinks the Imperium is the obstacle between humanity and peace, and if the Imperium could be destroyed or massively reformed then humanity would be alright, is missing the point of 40K. Because the point of 40K is that there is no way out - there is no solution, horror and atrocity are inevitable, and if it's not being inflicted by one source it'll be inflicted by another.

Oh yeah I don't think anyone thinks the Imperium is good, and I don't think humanity could ever come close to "alright", but I do think going "this is the best we've got" is like taking shelter from a storm in a burned out car and going "well I guess this is all a car can ever do".

Edit:
The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
And a dark wind blows

The government is corrupt
And we're on so many drugs
With the radio on and the curtains drawn

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
And the machine is bleeding to death

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 29, 2023

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The whole central thesis of the Horus Heresy books is that Big E completely hosed up by not telling AT LEAST the Primarchs about Chaos, and by implication the wider Imperium as well. It's a thin needle to thread, and might well be impossible but sticking your head in the sand ultimately makes things worse.

The needle can be threaded. Again, this is one of the main purposes of the Interex in the setting, to show that the Imperium’s structure is in no way necessary to generate human civilisation that doesn’t completely succumb to Chaos (and that peaceful relations with aliens are entirely possible). The existence and danger of Chaos, and something of its nature was understood by their military and political structures, at the very least, and perhaps more broadly.

The Interex’s only (but pretty fundamental) problem that we see was that they didn’t have an externally-facing security apparatus strong enough to defend from the Imperium.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

The needle can be threaded. Again, this is one of the main purposes of the Interex in the setting, to show that the Imperium’s structure is in no way necessary to generate human civilisation that doesn’t completely succumb to Chaos (and that peaceful relations with aliens are entirely possible). The existence and danger of Chaos, and something of its nature was understood by their military and political structures, at the very least, and perhaps more broadly.

The Interex’s only (but pretty fundamental) problem that we see was that they didn’t have an externally-facing security apparatus strong enough to defend from the Imperium.

Which comes back to it again, that the status quo isnt as horrible as it is because humanity is always doomed to exist in this state, but that it is doomed because of the mistakes made by the emperor and the imperium. I like the alpha legion perspective that they aren't even sure if they could reform the imperium if they cut its heart out, or if it would be dooming humanity to extinction, but it doesn't matter because that would still be healing the galaxy in the cold calculated arithmetic of general misery.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 29, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
40k doesnt really do a good job of explaining the difference between vat-growing and cloning. We know that cloning cloning causes issues, but the admech does vat grow a bunch of poo poo, and a MC in one of the book series is a clone, though gender swapped. House Goliath are basically all clones/vat grown. Probably the better lines for servitors being vat grown are from the codexs or the old Codex Imperalis. Theres lines to the effect that they are clones/vat grown scattered throughout books as well, mainly for combat servitors though. Though there is also text saying the opposite.

Kinda a moot point though because a vat grown person can still be a person.

Edit: Also lmao that eldar try basic level diplomacy, i mean they do but its often "Hey we left this planet 100,000 years ago and we want it back now, you have until tomorrow to all leave or we will murder you, thanks." The eldar are dickish high elves.

Kylaer posted:

In fairness, Big E did try enforced atheism as a method for starving Chaos of belief and power, so you can't say they tried nothing :v: But Chaos has its own agency and is far more than a passive reflection, so the Ruinous Powers took issue with that plan and came up with their own.

Now this is actually a really interesting take and I like it. Are there any examples in the fiction besides Caliban of pre-Great Crusade societies that had Warp influence and how they handled Chaos? Caliban was a hunting preserve with humans being the game animals, but what about Chogoris or Fenris? They had psyker traditions so they must have had something established socially to keep them from daemon'ing everywhere.

Several socities with established psyker traditions are shown, theres a somewhat common trend of them having minders who stick around to immediately execute them if they go off the walls.

Fenris and Chogris do something to channel the warp through their planet and makes it less toxic. This pisses of a lot of Warhams. There's weird poo poo going on with Fenris though.

Word Bearers og planetary society knew of the old gods and in theory was functional but in practice lead to Erebus so they must not be forgiven.

Davians turned into warlike beastmen.

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah there's actual paradise worlds, you can totally go to a place that's exactly like Risa from star trek but with more skulls and lobotmized cherubs. Climate Controlled weather stations and tropical beaches untouched by industrialization. Only the real nobility have freedom of travel though. Despite the poverty of your average hive the wealthy live in futuristic luxury and all the pomp and circumstance that entails.

More than the nobility can travel because you do get those light year long pilgrimage convoys from system to system, and you know a noble isn't going to wait in line for generations to see Terra. But yeah.

CottonWolf posted:

The Interex put a daemon blade of Nurgle on display in a museum. They were pretty ignorant about the dangers of chaos. Likely because Chaos hadnt really made a move in thousands of years.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 30, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I believe thwt in one of the HH White Scars shorts it shows the initiation of one of their psychic stormseers. There's a funny bit where an abstract depiction of chaos offers a cup of power while an abstract representation of the emperor looks upon disapprovingly, but the seer only takes a lil sip and the emperor doesn't get mad but chaos does. Using rules of politeness to reject corruption and stuff like that is a funny concept to me. "No no, it would be rude to drink more of the power of the warp, I've had enough thank you"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

E: wrong thread

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Improbable Lobster posted:

I believe thwt in one of the HH White Scars shorts it shows the initiation of one of their psychic stormseers. There's a funny bit where an abstract depiction of chaos offers a cup of power while an abstract representation of the emperor looks upon disapprovingly, but the seer only takes a lil sip and the emperor doesn't get mad but chaos does. Using rules of politeness to reject corruption and stuff like that is a funny concept to me. "No no, it would be rude to drink more of the power of the warp, I've had enough thank you"

Inviting in 4 great demons of chaos into your yurt because there are rules for guests/wanderers that must be followed but now they demons are also trapped by the same rules of a guests politeness to host and are very peeeved about it would be a great short.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

yeah i don't want anyone to think i think the imperium is the ideal society, you can probably figure with my username that i believe we can make a better world, but my argument is with the constraints of the universe, especially the warp, that many of its oppressive measures are in fact necessary for its survival.
for example, how would you reform the imperium, or even how would you lead humanity if you were in the emperor's place after the warp storms? most of the more obvious solutions have massive problems.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ardent Communist posted:

yeah i don't want anyone to think i think the imperium is the ideal society, you can probably figure with my username that i believe we can make a better world, but my argument is with the constraints of the universe, especially the warp, that many of its oppressive measures are in fact necessary for its survival.
for example, how would you reform the imperium, or even how would you lead humanity if you were in the emperor's place after the warp storms? most of the more obvious solutions have massive problems.

That's the main thing, you don't lead humanity. Lots of smaller societies on their own would have way better shots at coming up with their own unique solutions to problems that the Imperium crushes in its mindless waste as a dominant monoculture thats intolerant of dissent. The emperor doing that in the first place is what lead to chaos being such a powerfully manifesting force. Where before a planet having open chaos worship had minor effect on the material plane, his imperium spread chaos worship to every corner of the galaxy and then gifted all the gods massive armies to enforce their will on reality.

A Big Man Fallacy, if you will.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 30, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

That's the main thing, you don't lead humanity. Lots of smaller societies on their own would have way better shots at coming up with their own unique solutions to problems that the Imperium crushes in its mindless waste as a dominant monoculture thats intolerant of dissent. The emperor doing that in the first place is what lead to chaos being such a powerfully manifesting force. Where before a planet having open chaos worship had minor effect on the material plane, his imperium spread chaos worhsip to every corner of the galaxy and then gifted all the gods massive armies to enfore their will on reality.

They will figure it out, somehow, maybe, is not a great argument. You're basically handwaving away your response to fundmential issues which plague many of the main factions in the setting, none of which, including the Tau, have come up with a satisfactory answer.

And chaos worship was already present around the galaxy and wasnt limited to humans.

The 40k universe is not set up for elegant, nonfacist solutions. The simple existence of psykers means you at the very least keep a registery of people who could be a danger to themselves and billions of others and may have to be dealt with. And that's an incredibly awful solution.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 30, 2023

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

They will figure it out, somehow, maybe, is not a great argument.

And chaos worship was already present around the galaxy and wasnt limited to humans.

The Imperium hasn't figured it out at all, and is just turbo juicing the gods. Breaking humanity's power to continue that engine of misery would be a start.

The real answer is burning it all down and letting Bile's newly rediscovered New Men take over. If a single one can pretty much rip the head off of a carnifex unarmed I'd love to see what a whole society of them would be capable of, while being immune to warp corruption. There's a lot of really wild implications in Genefather. We'd all just have to get used to having wierd bug eyes and thermal-exchange spires built into our spinal columns.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 30, 2023

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

That's the main thing, you don't lead humanity. Lots of smaller societies on their own would have way better shots at coming up with their own unique solutions to problems that the Imperium crushes in its mindless waste as a dominant monoculture thats intolerant of dissent. The emperor doing that in the first place is what lead to chaos being such a powerfully manifesting force.

yes, but humanity was being wiped out when it was like that. humanity was dying out when the warp storms took over most of the universe, small societies are like islands suffering from climate change. chaos was powerful when it wiped out the eldar, because they were a galaxy spanning society that solved most of the problems that humans suffer through, doesn't have servitors or slaves, but they had psychic potential, just like the emperor saw was happening with humanity.
i'm not saying that cruelty helps the imperium, i'm saying a lack of cruelty could doom it. if they weren't so hard on psykers it would go back to when an ideal world would suffer a psyker accidently summoning a daemon invasion and wiping out the whole population in days of agony and madness.
like, even with the imperium being so cruel towards psykers, that still happens. but can you imagine how much it would happen if there weren't the black ships collecting everyone with psyker potential?
the imperium being cruel does strengthen chaos, but chaos takes any opportunity to propagate, and an absence of cruelty could be just as, or possibly more, ruinous.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The Imperium hasn't figured it out at all, and is just turbo juicing the gods. Breaking humanity's power to continue that engine of misery would be a start.

The real answer is burning it all down and letting Bile's newly rediscovered New Men take over. If a single one can pretty much rip the head off of a carnifex unarmed I'd love to see what a whole society of them would be capable of, while being immune to warp corruption. There's a lot of really wild implications in Genefather. We'd all just have to get used to having wierd bug eyes and thermal-exchange spires built into our spinal columns.

No ones figured it out, and the ones who have figured it out never actually have had their system put to the test. It's kinda point in the setting.

Every time someone has made something immune to chaos it's not immune to chaos. I mean come on thats like peak hubris right there, how do you think thats going to turn out

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

No ones figured it out, and the ones who have figured it out never actually have had their system put to the test. It's kinda point in the setting.

Every time someone has made something immune to chaos it's not immune to chaos. I mean come on thats like peak hubris right there, how do you think thats going to turn out

Imagine everytime a dark eldar invasion happened on a planet the bored teenagers standing out in the fields were able to activate their sicko mode and run actual circles around them, it'd be so funny and cool. That seems worth investing in. Let's give Bile some more funding and see what happens.

The fun part is he didn't make them, they've created these societies themselves after he forgot they existed and they just kept evolving.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 30, 2023

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Imagine everytime a dark eldar invasion happened on a planet the bored teenagers standing out in the fields were able to activate their sicko mode and run actual circles around them, it'd be so funny and cool. That seems worth investing in.

okay, but then what if one of the teenagers got corrupted? how many damage could they do? what if it was a particularly charismatic one? they already tried making supersoldiers out of teenagers, that's what caused the heresy.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Imagine everytime a dark eldar invasion happened on a planet the bored teenagers standing out in the fields were able to activate their sicko mode and run actual circles around them, it'd be so funny and cool. That seems worth investing in. Let's give Bile some more funding and see what happens.

You made a big fuss about how the Imperium is loving up by giving chaos access to space marines and primarchs but now there's a shiny new toy on the block and you are saying "Comeonnnnn whats the worst that could happen, the salesman insists that nothing could go wrong".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ardent Communist posted:

okay, but then what if one of the teenagers got corrupted? how many damage could they do? what if it was a particularly charismatic one? they already tried making supersoldiers out of teenagers, that's what caused the heresy.

If the Kin are chaos immune I trust these teenagers are too, sorry pal. And If I don't they'll kick my head off anyways. My hands are tied and this is just the way the future has to be. Nothing can be done that would be better than leaving the future in the hands of these New Men. Every other option has too many flaws.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 30, 2023