Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

there has been no other manga that has left me as confused often when i read other people talk about it. what do you mean yuji can swap souls??

There is a couple of panels where Yuji is training with Kusakabe and they way they speak suggests that they have switched bodies.

Then there is a bonus doodle where Yuji (presumably Kusakabe in his body) is all pumped up about how light his young body feels.

Choso also gave Yuji Yuki's super secret "soul research" book.

You may say "two panels and a doodle ain't that much" but Gojo got killed in zero panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

trucutru posted:

There is a couple of panels where Yuji is training with Kusakabe and they way they speak suggests that they have switched bodies.

Then there is a bonus doodle where Yuji (presumably Kusakabe in his body) is all pumped up about how light his young body feels.

Choso also gave Yuji Yuki's super secret "soul research" book.

You may say "two panels and a doodle ain't that much" but Gojo got killed in zero panels.

I think that makes sense but it just highlights for me how easy it is for me to miss stuff in this manga and seemingly this manga alone

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean to be honest, short of a massive art error and bubble placement, there's not really any other way to read those panels than "they swapped bodies somehow."

Zodack posted:

I'm convinced this manga lives and dies off of completely bogus powerscaling and theoretical power discourse like no other battle manga before it

Dragonball Z exists.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I think that makes sense but it just highlights for me how easy it is for me to miss stuff in this manga and seemingly this manga alone

It's easy to miss for everyone, the author (imo) is trying not to bring attention to it in order to have Yuji bamboozle Sukuna as hard as possible (and surprise lots of readers).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

My anime-only friends are equally confused fwiw.

For example a major bone of contention in my circle currently is the anime-only people thought Geto being a brain curse guy was an asspull.

It's not an asspull, but you really need to put together some pretty scattered and nuanced points:

1) Geto is killed in JJK 0
2) Geto appears with a lobotomy type scar that is fairly easy to miss or misunderstand the importance of, and hangs with the disaster curses in season one, VERY early on, while making it clear that he can't be seen by Satoru for some specific reason, and to fully grasp that you really have to understand how the Six Eyes works too.
3) Geto reveals what is supposed to be a major and foreshadowed event when he opens his brainbowl while sealing Gojo.

Is that an rear end pull? Not really, in fact I really like how subtly it's done, but it's far beyond the care factor of most people and spans across multiple pieces of media.

Season 3 actually kinda solves this problem because 99% of the show is effectively dead and you're just kinda covering entirely new ground, which should be fairly easy to understand for everyone.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to be honest, short of a massive art error and bubble placement, there's not really any other way to read those panels than "they swapped bodies somehow."

As a big time JJK enjoyer I agree, but imo that is incredibly easy to miss given the standards of someone less invested. Ideally you'll understand that osu is Yuji's thing, and yes, the panels are written fairly clearly, but still... I totally 100% get how people casually reading through wouldn't grasp that :shrug:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sukuna being stuck with Yuji again might be the only thing that could cause Sukuna any mental/emotional/physical harm at this point and would be very funny.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wow I completely forgot about that panel. Might explain why Sukuna reacted the way he did when Yuji punched him.

edit: 2nd that, nothing more would I like Sukuna throwing a shitfit he's back in Yuji's body lol.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Electric Phantasm posted:

Sukuna being stuck with Yuji again might be the only thing that could cause Sukuna any mental/emotional/physical harm at this point and would be very funny.
I really hope this happens now.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Taima posted:

As a big time JJK enjoyer I agree, but imo that is incredibly easy to miss given the standards of someone less invested. Ideally you'll understand that osu is Yuji's thing, and yes, the panels are written fairly clearly, but still... I totally 100% get how people casually reading through wouldn't grasp that :shrug:

We also got people taking disengagement a step further by only speedreading the speedscans, making a post about how the manga sucks now/is worse than BHA, and peacing out till next week.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Leaks were a mistake and I've seen a bunch of people only read the first release, talk about it a bunch before quality fan translations come out, then bitch about how nothing makes no sense.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

We also got people taking disengagement a step further by only speedreading the speedscans, making a post about how the manga sucks now/is worse than BHA, and peacing out till next week.

honestly I think this might be the cause of a lot of confusion and crossed wires. I reread culling games over the past week and it blazes by. so I could easily see people forgetting parts over time

it's also harder for people who are mentally checked out to engage with a story on its own terms

fake edit: now that I'm thinking on it this is kinda why the spoiler policy came about in the first place. people were getting heated about text only spoilers and started getting personal leading to multiple probations and bans. over time it became apparent that the leaks weren't lining up to what was actually happen thus the policy

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 29, 2023

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Shindragon posted:

Wow I completely forgot about that panel. Might explain why Sukuna reacted the way he did when Yuji punched him.

edit: 2nd that, nothing more would I like Sukuna throwing a shitfit he's back in Yuji's body lol.

Technically I think it'd be yuji in sukuna's body, which sounds even funnier. Yuji would wind up taking over sukuna's body (lol), who's inside megumi's body, whose soul would be in yuji's body (alone). he'd be like a guy turducken.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clearly what happened is that Yuji changed bodies with Gojo just before he died and Gojo will come back to life in Yuji's body and then there will be sunshine and rainbows for everyone.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I mean Sukuna at the end of it all is just another symptom of the system of cursed energy. Yuki was right to end back on her conclusion of having to tear it all down. The disaster curses, Sukuna and even Gojo are just the end result of that millenia long arms race happening.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
At the end of it all Sukuna is just an uppity replacement for fossil fuels. Can't wait until them all become SUV jujubatteries.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That was as impactful a plot point as the time the US navy showed up and tried to kill everyone in Shaman King. Lasted about just as long too

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

my dream for season 3 of the anime is that the manga readers who despise the culling game arc won't be making GBS threads be on every anime episode in the anime thread. hope we can all get there some day.

my dream for the manga is the soul switching bullshit from Yuji lol. Hadn't even realised the possibility of him forcing it on Sukuna.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been rewatching the anime from the beginning with my girlfriend and paying a little more attention to the “mechanics” of the story. A lot of this makes way more sense when you get over the wacky translation stuff and also give it a second read.

Stuff like “Domain Amplification” instead of the more literal “Domain Envelopment” makes way less sense for explaining how it is able to nullify other domains, for example. And frankly the fact that amplification is a specific technique and not just like “I made my domain stronger to overwhelm you” which is how I would interpret that normally. I definitely lost a lot of those details while reading week to week which is kind of a problem with a power system this technical.

The stuff about domains needing barriers, but also not, but also they do, sort of, most of the time when you’re not Sukuna. What is a domain, innate domain, domain expansion. How do these things interact. When you lose those details over a few months it can contribute to the whole thing feeling like Calvinball even while remaining internally consistent.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

100%

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I just find this whole thing disappointing coming from the loving amazing comedy arc. It's kind of pulling the same basic thing but I think the comedy arc nailed it while this isn't.

[...]

In this case you have the same super-powerful but limited ability only it gets absolutely brushed off from the very start and transition instantly over to "he's a super genius with an instant-kill sword" and it's an okay (if rushed) fight but it really doesn't feel like it has much to do with his character. It's hype to see him passing his sword off to Yuji but I can't help but wish it felt like the previous arc.

I feel the same way, but also because now I'm wondering what Gojo died for, other than shocking the audience with the death of a beloved character. We had an all powerful genius die to be replaced with an all power-full genius. The latter had a really cool ability, but it doesn't get used in a meaningful way.

UnderFreddy posted:

my dream for the manga is the soul switching bullshit from Yuji lol. Hadn't even realised the possibility of him forcing it on Sukuna.

If Sukuna dies after launching a soul-destroying attack at Yuji just before Yuji switches souls with him then I'll be very sad :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

rkd_ posted:

I feel the same way, but also because now I'm wondering what Gojo died for, other than shocking the audience with the death of a beloved character. We had an all powerful genius die to be replaced with an all power-full genius. The latter had a really cool ability, but it doesn't get used in a meaningful way.

Taking out all the poo poo the rest of the crew would be being murdered by right now and I dont think the narrative is describing or treating Higuruma as an 'all powerful genius' in any way.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Taking out all the poo poo the rest of the crew would be being murdered by right now and I dont think the narrative is describing or treating Higuruma as an 'all powerful genius' in any way.

Well, yes, but that's just him replacing Gojo again. If Gojo hadn't died, they wouldn't need someone else to take out all the poo poo.

Also, I'm pretty sure Higuruma has been explicitly described as being on the same level as Gojo. He also only needed 12 days after awakening his technique he got to the level of a grade 1 sorcerer. Perhaps I shouldn't have said 'all-powerful', but I used it as a comparison to Gojo.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yuji can do weird soul stuff, see the two times where on the brink of his defeat his opponents had weird freak puts and suddenly believed they had life long bonds with him for seemingly no reason

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Being as talented as Gojo does not mean being as powerful as Gojo. Gojo has the combination of absolutely unreal natural talent + a double jackpot in the jujutsu genetic lottery that Higuruma does not have and has not been portrayed as having - it's just pure talent for him.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Farg posted:

yuji can do weird soul stuff, see the two times where on the brink of his defeat his opponents had weird freak puts and suddenly believed they had life long bonds with him for seemingly no reason

The anime actually did a good job at explaining this from choso's perspective. Choso can sense his brothers's death, and since he nearly killed yuji he felt the same sensation as he would any other death painting. I thought it was a neat spin on the "sense a death from far away" trope.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

rkd_ posted:

Well, yes, but that's just him replacing Gojo again. If Gojo hadn't died, they wouldn't need someone else to take out all the poo poo.

Also, I'm pretty sure Higuruma has been explicitly described as being on the same level as Gojo.

No they didn't they said he's as talented as, while literally the page (if not panel) before is him cursing his own lack of experience and understanding. The literal text on screen says nothing that you said it is.

and as far as the first point goes that's entirely you making poo poo up. No one else could that was the whole point of him leading. You might as well be saying "Look if Yuji hadn't have eaten Sukuna's finger someone else would have and we'd still have gotten here".

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

No they didn't they said he's as talented as, while literally the page (if not panel) before is him cursing his own lack of experience and understanding. The literal text on screen says nothing that you said it is.

and as far as the first point goes that's entirely you making poo poo up. No one else could that was the whole point of him leading. You might as well be saying "Look if Yuji hadn't have eaten Sukuna's finger someone else would have and we'd still have gotten here".

Yes, my bad, they did indeed say as talented as. I wrongly equated that to him being as powerful as Gojo. I guess we’ll have to see what getting stabbed by the sword will do to Sukuna.

I don’t know what you mean by your second comment. The whole story is poo poo being made up, I’m just saying I don’t feel that Gojo’s death and subsequent replacement by Higuruma added much to the story. By ‘no one else could’ are you saying that Gojo couldn’t?

If Yuji was killed off midway through the story and replaced by Bob who is an equally talented but less powerful sorcerer who can eat and control the fingers too, then yes, I would say something about that if it had no further apparent impact on the story other than to show how strong the villain is.

If Gojo could have lead and the only thing that changed pursuant to his death is that another powerful sorcerer shows up and leads in his stead (instead of the main characters having to come up with a creative solution to this problem or it affecting what happens to those characters) then I don’t feel that adds much to the story.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 30, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
higuruma wasn't gojo's "replacement," it was just said he had potential on par with gojo's, which was already hinted at with kenjaku's evaluation of him earlier. sukuna's stoked at this because it fits his earlier belief that, no matter what happens, the masses of humanity will constantly produce new and interesting morsels to keep him indulged

which is another reason why i'd love for him to eat poo poo because of yuji instead of the prodigies he values so much

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Oxxidation posted:

higuruma wasn't gojo's "replacement," it was just said he had potential on par with gojo's, which was already hinted at with kenjaku's evaluation of him earlier.

Yeah, we’ll have to see what happens, but until this point he continued what Gojo would have done. If Higuruma wasn’t there, the rest of the characters would’ve been pretty hosed, and it’s in that sense I say he replaced Gojo. To me, he doesn’t add a lot of interesting stuff other than being the plot protection for the characters. The one thing that does make him interesting isn’t used in the end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rkd_ posted:

Yeah, we’ll have to see what happens, but until this point he continued what Gojo would have done. If Higuruma wasn’t there, the rest of the characters would’ve been pretty hosed, and it’s in that sense I say he replaced Gojo. To me, he doesn’t add a lot of interesting stuff other than being the plot protection for the characters. The one thing that does make him interesting isn’t used in the end.

if any of the current team members weren't there sukuna would have turned them to mince two chapters ago. hakari's super-star bullshit is keeping his backup at bay, mei-mei's coordinating strike tactics, even that one yutz in the ninja pajamas kept him distracted for a bit. that's the point, it's taking a strike team of everyone they have left to do a tenth of what gojo was capable of, and even then their evaluation is "if sukuna gets one clean hit in or has any tricks we're not aware of then it's game over"

higuruma's not the leader of this group, he's just the one with the most effective trump card. gojo's take on this was "i would win," higuruma knowingly went into this as a glorified cruise missile

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

rkd_ posted:

Yes, my bad, they did indeed say as talented as. I wrongly equated that to him being as powerful as Gojo. I guess we’ll have to see what getting stabbed by the sword will do to Sukuna.

I don’t know what you mean by your second comment. The whole story is poo poo being made up, I’m just saying I don’t feel that Gojo’s death and subsequent replacement by Higuruma added much to the story. By ‘no one else could’ are you saying that Gojo couldn’t?

He hasn't replaced Gojo at all though. Like that's not what's happening at all

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Higuruma is gonna come back from dead though more powerful than ever.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Oxxidation posted:

if any of the current team members weren't there sukuna would have turned them to mince two chapters ago. hakari's super-star bullshit is keeping his backup at bay, mei-mei's coordinating strike tactics, even that one yutz in the ninja pajamas kept him distracted for a bit. that's the point, it's taking a strike team of everyone they have left to do a tenth of what gojo was capable of, and even then their evaluation is "if sukuna gets one clean hit in or has any tricks we're not aware of then it's game over"

higuruma's not the leader of this group, he's just the one with the most effective trump card. gojo's take on this was "i would win," higuruma knowingly went into this as a glorified cruise missile

Higuruma is not just keeping Sukuna at bay or distracting him though. He is/was set up to (help) deliver a crucial blow to him. The only difference is indeed that Gojo didn’t need the team to distract Sukuna.

He hasn't replaced Gojo at all though. Like that's not what's happening at all

I mean, wasn’t he being portrayed as the last hope, being the one remaining sorcerer that could defeat Sukuna with his technique? That ended up not working either and we’re now waiting to see what the sword will do. I understand he’s not 1:1 Gojo, but I do feel he was presented as a possible (and perhaps only) solution after Gojo’s death, the back up plan in case Gojo failed.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 30, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think when looking at his potential growth, Higuruma would have been more on the level of characters like like Naobito at the end of the day. Naobito was an absolute monster in a 1v1 given how powerful Projection Sorcerery is even without a domain. And knowing techniques like Falling Blossom gave him the ability to counter enemy domains and the like. But both Naobito and Higuruma have techniques that lack that extra level to push them into special grade despite being amazing sorcerers with potent abilities.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

which is another reason why i'd love for him to eat poo poo because of yuji instead of the prodigies he values so much

Well, I feel like this chapter makes it pretty clear that this is kinda the angle the story is going for.

Anyway, I kinda think some people are still caught up in their disappointment in how the Gojo fight ended that even in this fight that is like wholly different they're only thinking about "Well why didn't Gojo just do this!" Which, I dunno is coming at this from the wrong direction. Higuruma's 'role' in this fight is to die passing his sword to Yuji to set the stage for his fight, and like yeah in a sense that "accomplishes more" than Gojo because I imagine Yuji getting this cool sword is probably gonna play a part in Sukuna's defeat while Gojo came close but didn't get the job done. I mean Gojo was an actual equal to Sukuna that was having an even fight with him so their battle was never going to be about Gojo going in prepared and expecting to die all to pass the ball to the real playmaker in the end. These fights are just telling different stories.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

if any of the current team members weren't there sukuna would have turned them to mince two chapters ago.

Nah, the sumo dude could wander by at any moment and be like "wanna sumo?" and Itadori would accept and, after 20,000,000 matches, exit the ring powerful enough to beat Sukuna with a single E.Honda torpedo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Higuruma is gonna come back from dead though more powerful than ever.

Lawyer heart

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

trucutru posted:

Nah, the sumo dude could wander by at any moment and be like "wanna sumo?" and Itadori would accept and, after 20,000,000 matches, exit the ring powerful enough to beat Sukuna with a single E.Honda torpedo.

and this is how jjk became the best shonen of all time

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
sumo and katana dude are so buckwild that when they first happened I thought it was some kind of hyper-meta nod to the ludicrous nature of shonen power up montages. So I was laughing along, the whole thing was played off quirky and I thought we were all in on the same joke. But then it wasn't a joke and she just turned directly into Toji.

Reading the manga sequentially it's kind of weird but borderline understandable. But seeing the whole thing play out over several weeks of real time serialization was one of the weirdest times for me in the whole arc of the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well, I feel like this chapter makes it pretty clear that this is kinda the angle the story is going for.

Anyway, I kinda think some people are still caught up in their disappointment in how the Gojo fight ended that even in this fight that is like wholly different they're only thinking about "Well why didn't Gojo just do this!" Which, I dunno is coming at this from the wrong direction. Higuruma's 'role' in this fight is to die passing his sword to Yuji to set the stage for his fight, and like yeah in a sense that "accomplishes more" than Gojo because I imagine Yuji getting this cool sword is probably gonna play a part in Sukuna's defeat while Gojo came close but didn't get the job done. I mean Gojo was an actual equal to Sukuna that was having an even fight with him so their battle was never going to be about Gojo going in prepared and expecting to die all to pass the ball to the real playmaker in the end. These fights are just telling different stories.

Yeah, you may be right, I probably would not be this down on how the fight is developing if it didn't immediately follow up on the Gojo fight. I just think that Gojo's death was such wasted potential. We had the most powerful sorcerer set up to defeat the most powerful villain. Then the most powerful sorcerer fails at doing so (which I still don't understand how you can bypass 'infinity'.) Now that is a really interesting situation, and there are many different creative ways to solve that problem (and it would be especially great if the solution to that problem was hinted at throughout the course of the manga instead of it being another rear end-pull).

What we get though, is what you describe. Not just that, but Higuruma is also hyped up as being equal in talent to Gojo AND they discuss how they may be able to defeat Sukuna using his technique, so it seems like he will have a bigger role to play rather than just passing on the sword. He doesn't, so now we are back to Yuji. I know people are rooting for Yuji to win because Sukuna doesn't even recognize him as a potential threat (even though he should based on earlier panels), but the manga has not given the audience a reason to see Yuji in the same light. To us, he doesn't seem less of an underdog than anyone else (bar Gojo). Partly the issue will also be on how they will finally get Sukuna to be vulnerable. We've seen him pull so many tricks out of the bag against both Gojo and Higuruma, so whatever manages for Sukuna to run out of tricks must be really clever to be satisfying. Perhaps Yuji will awaken to his true identity which would be pretty cool but what a long-winding road to get there. Killing off many beloved characters with unsatisfying deaths seems like a trend, and it's all to focus on Yuji.