Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Shrecknet posted:

There is a moment in the Cameron Diaz/Selma Blair stinker The Sweetest Thing where, in the middle of the restaurant, they stand up and have an extended musical number about penises. No matter whether this is diagetic or musical theater style fantasy, the implications of either are terrifying.

So... good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I liked Ferrari and can easily recommend it, but it's the first time I've felt unsure about an Adam Driver performance. It may just be how the character is written (or... how he actually was) though, there's just a distance in every scene and he never really opens up.

Penelope Cruz puts in a real one though for sure.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

Holy poo poo how could I forget Varda's Cleo from 5 to 7?

Which has the best song in a non-musical ever.

Sans Toi is, as the young people today say, a banger.

Close but it's actually "One sings, the other one doesn't ".

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm afraid I'll come across as glib now but it just felt like, for a lack of a better term, a whole movie in a trailer. The premise itself is sturdy, a depiction of suburban normality literally outside the walls of an extermination camp. And there are glimpses of one world breathing down the neck of the other: the stuff with Hedwig's mother is probably most effective, but I have to be honest, it's way too respectful of the sentimentality of these people.

Some might find that disturbingly subtle, just felt cheap and trite, like Arendt.

I strongly disagree. It felt anything but cheap and trite to me. I can just about see how it could have felt like that to someone else but it’s a real stretch for me. Hedvig’s mother is the only person who expresses the smallest amount of disquiet at what is happening for the whole film. And Hedvig irritatedly burns her note. That’s hardly respectful of their sentimentality.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sans Toi is, as the young people today say, a banger.

I love when a movie or song or album goes from hip to happening to groovy to far out to radical to bitchin' to cool to lit to fire to GOATed as successive generations discover it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Bright Bart posted:

I love when a movie or song or album goes from hip to happening to groovy to far out to radical to bitchin' to cool to lit to fire to GOATed as successive generations discover it.

I think you're like four behind, internet goes way fast now for kids

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
In terms of like a non-musical film that has a ton of music in it, I don't think you can beat Nashville.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

In terms of like a non-musical film that has a ton of music in it, I don't think you can beat Nashville.

I wish I liked Nashville half as much as I like that final number. Altman’s style just pushes me away, I find his movies dreadfully boring, but I can’t deny Nashville having an all-timer ending.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
felt the same way about The Player

didn't help I watched it into the 2000s. Pacing for a satire just dragged

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

They’re not saying boo they’re saying broooooo-er

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nashville is most definitely an Altman film, so yea if you aren't into that then it won't change your mind. But it has like 4 or 5 songs that just run in my head for days after I watch it, I don't think you can find another film with better original music.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Long Goodbye is one of my lowest rated films on letterboxed. I just don't get Altman at all

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The Long Goodbye is one of my lowest rated films on letterboxed. I just don't get Altman at all

i like some Altman but The Long Goodbye doesn't do anything for me either, despite loving Chandler and neo-noir. i kind of find Elliot Gould annoying in general though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like a lot of Altman talk tends to be about his style of shooting dialogue because it's a naturalistic approach with all of the crosstalk and everything, it's pretty unique. But for me a bigger part of his appeal is the overall production design. When you watch an Altman film you're getting a fully realized immersive world along the same lines of a P.T. Anderson or someone like that. I guess you could call them vibes movies, but the reason the vibes work so well is because you're totally immersed in them in a way that most directors can't achieve.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Altman's sensibility is almost exactly what I like in movies, wandering observations of the ways people interact with each other. Neither fully individual nor indistinguishable masses, stories that aren't readymade or stop and start cleanly. Adapting Raymond Carver is as contrived and artificial as he got, which is a good thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

therattle posted:

I strongly disagree. It felt anything but cheap and trite to me. I can just about see how it could have felt like that to someone else but it’s a real stretch for me. Hedvig’s mother is the only person who expresses the smallest amount of disquiet at what is happening for the whole film. And Hedvig irritatedly burns her note. That’s hardly respectful of their sentimentality.

I feel you. I think I came off as unnecessarily harsh, I just have super high expectations for Glazer and can only see the flaws.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I am very confused by this tweet. And not sarcastically... are they seriously saying that's good standup? The video cuts off at the middle of literally every joke and moves to a new one. Am I having a stroke?

edit: also lol at the byline for that Twitter account. "Comedy legends @julieklausner and @scharpling team up for a journey through the best and worst of pop culture."

Who??

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 29, 2023

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
I absolutely adore McCabe & Mrs Miller but I’ve never been able to get fully onboard with any other Altman film I’ve seen, although Gosford Park is fun.

Anyone who also struggles with Altman, I’d recommend you try that one - McCabe, I mean. Maybe you’ll feel the same way as me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

McCabe and Gosford Park are the two that I like. 3 Women is pretty good too.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i like some Altman but The Long Goodbye doesn't do anything for me either, despite loving Chandler and neo-noir. i kind of find Elliot Gould annoying in general though.
annoying characters i like:
elliot gould in california split
lina from singing in the rian
ziggy from the wire

Altman's sensibility is almost exactly what I like in movies, wandering observations of the ways people interact with each other. Neither fully individual nor indistinguishable masses, stories that aren't readymade or stop and start cleanly.
after looking down ebert's great movies list, the nashville entry was the one that made college freshman me want to see it immediately. it and aguirre were probably my most formative experiences from off that list. watching the opening shot of aguirre welled up the same feelings as watching space odyssey for the first time, just this awareness that there was this whole other world out there to be in awe of

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I had to write a paper on Nashville once and ended up watching parts of it over and over to transcribe stuff, it had a spell on me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coaaab posted:

after looking down ebert's great movies list, the nashville entry was the one that made college freshman me want to see it immediately. it and aguirre were probably my most formative experiences from off that list. watching the opening shot of aguirre welled up the same feelings as watching space odyssey for the first time, just this awareness that there was this whole other world out there to be in awe of

Yea the opening of Aguirre is one of the more mind blowing shots I've experienced just in terms of "goddamn these people are really out there and Herzog captured these images for real. How the gently caress did he do that?"

Technically the shot that got me is the second shot of the film, the one that starts at around 50 secs. The way it starts as a distant shot of the line of soldiers and then pans down and the line has continued all the way through the frame and now those soldiers are right in the foreground. Insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jLqRnHYXE

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I am very confused by this tweet. And not sarcastically... are they seriously saying that's good standup? The video cuts off at the middle of literally every joke and moves to a new one. Am I having a stroke?

It's taking the piss mate

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Basebf555 posted:

Technically the shot that got me is the second shot of the film, the one that starts at around 50 secs. The way it starts as a distant shot of the line of soldiers and then pans down and the line has continued all the way through the frame and now those soldiers are right in the foreground. Insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jLqRnHYXE
that's actually the shot i'm talking about, what i thought was the first shot. it's been a while since i've seen it, so i misremember details like that.

by now, i've seen a lot of my favorite movies on a film/digital print in a theater, but aguirre and zerkalo are the ones i'm most annoyed about eluding me

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Guy A. Person posted:

It's taking the piss mate

I mean... If the Twitter account was somebody I'd trust I'd get the joke. But looking at that account I'd hardly call it obvious lol.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
First watches of Ferrari and Thief on the same day made me feel like a man.

Feel like curling iron to a playlist of Tangerine Dream, Phil Collins, and the Home Depot commercial music.

Gaius Marius posted:

The Long Goodbye fucks and is the closest thing to a real live action Cowboy Bebop.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nightmare Cinema posted:

First watches of Ferrari and Thief on the same day made me feel like a man.

Feel like curling iron to a playlist of Tangerine Dream, Phil Collins, and the Home Depot commercial music.

The Long Goodbye fucks and is the closest thing to a real live action Cowboy Bebop.

https://youtu.be/Rhl5K0mTSKY?si=yfjbEqLByby3GAOZ

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Thanks, this is on Spotify and subsequently now it's on my gym playlist.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Altman was really good at depicting that everyone and everything in the entire world is insane, and that that's actually great.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like a lot of Altman talk tends to be about his style of shooting dialogue because it's a naturalistic approach with all of the crosstalk and everything, it's pretty unique. But for me a bigger part of his appeal is the overall production design. When you watch an Altman film you're getting a fully realized immersive world along the same lines of a P.T. Anderson or someone like that. I guess you could call them vibes movies, but the reason the vibes work so well is because you're totally immersed in them in a way that most directors can't achieve.

When Altman was filming A Prairie Home Companion, he was sick with cancer, and so the bond company/insurers wanted a director to shadow him and pick up in case he wasn’t able to complete the film, the person who was nominated: PT Anderson

I feel you. I think I came off as unnecessarily harsh, I just have super high expectations for Glazer and can only see the flaws.

Yep. I had very high expectations too, which was a problem, but there were still lines and scenes that hit like a loving hammer.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

All standup videos are titled like “Florp Shchlomo SKEWERS entitled MILLENNIALS” and it’s just someone talking about twitter, a site that is in a decade long death spiral.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
People inspired to live off the grid after reading Into The Wild are like the people who wanted to be drug kingpins after watching Scarface.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

well why not posted:

All standup videos are titled like “Florp Shchlomo SKEWERS entitled MILLENNIALS” and it’s just someone talking about twitter, a site that is in a decade long death spiral.

It's turned into one of the archetypal hack comedian types in the last decade. Former archetypes 'I say swear words' and 'gently caress my dick/pussy, I'm so gross' have been replaced with the newer hack archetypes of 'I hate young people on computers' and 'I'm rich but tell stories about how blue collar and poor I am'. Perennial favorite 'I am the edgiest boy and I hate Jews/homos/women' remains strong, however, with Ricky G's latest stand-up special this week.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

BonoMan posted:

I mean... If the Twitter account was somebody I'd trust I'd get the joke. But looking at that account I'd hardly call it obvious lol.

It's glass eyed gibberish, man

He's one of those SNL alums that got brain damage from the partyin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWsSKRh9QTw

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 30, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Peccadillo posted:

For context he was a big successful mainstrean stand-up once and was on SNL for a few years. I think it's probably the unlimited access to drugs that make someone from that show mad as a cut snake now and again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWsSKRh9QTw

Lol no, I know who Jim Bruer is!!

My "who?" joke was about the Twitter account that posted it - two people that list themselves as comedy legends and I had never heard of them before.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 30, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Lol no, I know who Jim Bruer is!!

My "who?" joke was about the Twitter account that posted it - two people that list themselves as comedy legends and I had never heard of them before.

Yeah but it'd still be wild if a 13 year old I'd never met showed me the clip and sincerely said "check out this genius"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Peccadillo posted:

Yeah but it'd still be wild if a 13 year old I'd never met showed me the clip and sincerely said "check out this genius"

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make? I don't care about the Jim Bruer clip itself. I was just wondering if that Podcast Twitter handle was posting it sincerely. And after looking at their feed I still can't tell. I think they're sincerely labeling themselves as comedy legends and some of their feed is pretty broke brained stuff.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Was there a thread for Aranofsky’s the Whale? I wanted to compare Mickey Rourke crushing jabronies in The Wrestler to Brendan Fraser crushing meatball subs in the Whale.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
You wanna rez a dead thread to talk about a non wrestling movie from last year while a wrestling movie is out

Be the change you want to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched The Fableman’s last night. Loved it. I am not saying this as an insult, Paul Dano’s got a super cartoony face.