Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

HappyHippo posted:

This post is so confusing. Water is more viscous than concrete?

What? No, water is less viscous than concrete. That's a stupid question, plane and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I should add that front/back distribution is a big thing in concrete trucks, and so you can find e.g. the Continental Bridgesaver which promises to keep the distribution more even — “if you operate in areas that take their bridge and weight laws seriously, the Continental Bridgesaver can ease your mind and keep your back account flush.”

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cat Hatter posted:

If anyone is wondering what his neighbors think of all this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNSHNXCeir8

Man, Colin's got a lot of invisible barnyard animals down there

e: I offer a holiday mascot: my Grovertree

https://i.imgur.com/7UV74t1.mp4

e: (yes, it's the home-built watering pipe) :grovertoot:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 30, 2023

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

is that a watering pipe?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Brute Squad posted:

is that a watering pipe?

:grovertoot:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

If she actually is in the DC metro area she's going to be extra hosed because the region recently had an amateur-tunneling related disaster which keeps getting brought back into people's consciousness due to the house owner's continued legal fight against jail time for a manslaughter conviction.

The circumstances are different but the various code enforcement agencies are not going to be inclined to go lightly on her hijinks.

I'm more interested in what goes on in DC that makes these people go insane and become mole rats.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Its a loving huge masonic glyph of course it's gonna have cursed energy

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Finally got round to fixing this poo poo:

And in the process worked out what the clowns may have been trying to do. This is along the edge of where the extension was built and I think it might have been where they cut for lights *or* needed access for some reason. But either way jfc patch it you lazy fucks, particularly as it's alongside the cold deck roof so has a howling draft through it.

I cut a hardboard plate to go over it and "sealed" it with the worst caulking job you have ever seen.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Azza Bamboo posted:

I live in Lincolnshire, and I can't imagine the councils around here being too bothered by furze's underground garage. He seems to be within the UK building regs and his build isn't going to alter the appearance of his house. Also, he's famous around here: there's no way he'd be dumb enough to try flying under the radar when every one of his mad projects makes the local news. I'm willing to bet that furze has done this by the book, despite his rebel aesthetic.

Does he even still live in that house?

Apart from the shitloads of cash his channel and store must bring in, in one of his latest videos you can kinda see into the front windows of the house when he's out the front lifting huge metal slabs into place and the house looks completely empty.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Does he even still live in that house?

Apart from the shitloads of cash his channel and store must bring in, in one of his latest videos you can kinda see into the front windows of the house when he's out the front lifting huge metal slabs into place and the house looks completely empty.
I couldn't imagine doing all that work to a house you don't actually live in. Selling that thing is bound to be a nightmare, I sure hope the next buyer doesn't have to make the tunnels meet any accessibility requirements.

Regarding permits, I thought Colin said that he was doing the start of the tunnel in secret for a year to try to get in grandfathered in. I remember a similar story where someone built a spite house hidden under a big stack of hay bales, but I think I'm their case the council either fined them or made them tear it down.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Not Wolverine posted:

I remember a similar story where someone built a spite house hidden under a big stack of hay bales, but I think I'm their case the council either fined them or made them tear it down.

Tear it down

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Not Wolverine posted:

I couldn't imagine doing all that work to a house you don't actually live in. Selling that thing is bound to be a nightmare, I sure hope the next buyer doesn't have to make the tunnels meet any accessibility requirements.

Regarding permits, I thought Colin said that he was doing the start of the tunnel in secret for a year to try to get in grandfathered in. I remember a similar story where someone built a spite house hidden under a big stack of hay bales, but I think I'm their case the council either fined them or made them tear it down.

They had to tear it down.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Not Wolverine posted:

He did at first but given the fact that he's basically posted his street address and likely has millions of pounds in the bank it wouldn't surprise me if they've bought a "normal" house to live in.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Not Wolverine posted:

In the UK if you build something without planning permission and get away with it for 4 years it becomes immune from any action. However the law is about to be change so that 4 years becomes 10 years, which is a bit unfortunate for all the people who try to sneak an extra house on to their plot, or a caravan in a woodland/farmland, or whatever.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

There was a guy that built an entire house (that was styled to look like a castle :barf:) and hid it behind a pile of hay bales to try and exploit this and still got forced to tear it down iirc.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hey did you hear about that guy in the UK who had to tear his fake castle down?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Slight problem imo

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

In the UK if you build something without planning permission and get away with it for 4 years it becomes immune from any action. However the law is about to be change so that 4 years becomes 10 years, which is a bit unfortunate for all the people who try to sneak an extra house on to their plot, or a caravan in a woodland/farmland, or whatever.

So uh if I was going to build a private spa with donation moneys, how much would I need to donate to Tories to overturn the new law

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Huh. In my area (in the US), anything that violated contemporary code but was before a certain date (1975, I think) is grandfathered as okay. Anything done after that, that the inspectors find out about, has to be fixed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Wasabi the J posted:

Its a loving huge masonic glyph of course it's gonna have cursed energy

All those triangles made me think this was a TORG map at first.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. In my area (in the US), anything that violated contemporary code but was before a certain date (1975, I think) is grandfathered as okay. Anything done after that, that the inspectors find out about, has to be fixed.

The idea is that if it has been up for 4 years (soon 10 years) and nobody has cared enough to complain or the Council hasn't bothered to do anything about it then it can't be that harmful.

Enforcement against planning contravention in the UK is discretionary and the Council have to be sure a contravention has occurred and that its in the public interest to do something about it, like someone has built a block of flats with an extra three storeys or built a mansion in the middle of a field (but also much smaller stuff like someone replacing timber windows with plastic windows in an old building).

I'm talking about planning laws though rather than building regulations which are a completely different set of rules dealt with by different people at the Council.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

corgski posted:

Hey did you hear about that guy in the UK who had to tear his fake castle down?

lol gently caress. Maybe that post was initially hidden behind hay bales as well????

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

H110Hawk posted:

He did at first but given the fact that he's basically posted his street address and likely has millions of pounds in the bank it wouldn't surprise me if they've bought a "normal" house to live in.

That's what I meant. He probably has some low key mansion somewhere now in a place that isn't so grey and just uses the old house as a set.

I mean, he had a video a while ago showing off his new shed and had about $5million worth of poo poo that he'd been given for free. This is not a man hurting for cash.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Does UK planning commission approval only to aesthetics? I am assuming there is still building code to ensure your spite castle doesn't fall over, but it would be kinda fun if the UK was the wild West where anything goes so long as it doesn't collapse in the first 4 to 10 years. Regarding the tunnel, is there building code that applies to residential tunnels or underground structures?

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I don't know about tunnels but hasn't there been an absolute rash of mega basements being excavated in London? I remember reading an article about millionaires digging way down below their houses to make their own personal batcaves.

fake edit: found it https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-12/iceberg-homes-mega-basements-london-underground/101170684

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Building Control would require that construction be inspected during the build, but there's a lot riding on the plans and structural calcs to get that far.

I'm going to guess that the hidden hay bale house did not get inspected by building control.

e: the thing I never got about the mega basements was who wants to live in a windowless basement? I've seen pictures of some of them and they're just the gaudiest poo poo you've ever seen but clearly completely empty because guess what, a ballroom is not actually going to get regular use!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Basements like that aren't for living in any more than a 12 bedroom mcmansion in the US is. They're projections of wealth, and storage space for things no one needs. The types of people who build those basements don't live in those houses in any meaningful sense.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you ever need to demolish a tandoor, I recommend letting it cool down for 24 hours first. They are lined with sand and the cleanup is not easy when it's all still 200 degrees.

I also recommend tools, lifting equipment, and a plan.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I could demolish a tandoori

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I could demolish a tandoori

Let it cool down for 24 hours first

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

coldpudding posted:

I don't know about tunnels but hasn't there been an absolute rash of mega basements being excavated in London? I remember reading an article about millionaires digging way down below their houses to make their own personal batcaves.

fake edit: found it https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-12/iceberg-homes-mega-basements-london-underground/101170684

Thats definitely a thing in Toronto and area. More often these days people are digging down to get more space especially on small lots in the middle of the city.
Big lots too. A "modestly" sized house up top but 2, 3, and sometimes 4 level basements.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

wesleywillis posted:

Thats definitely a thing in Toronto and area. More often these days people are digging down to get more space especially on small lots in the middle of the city.
Big lots too. A "modestly" sized house up top but 2, 3, and sometimes 4 level basements.

Huh, I've never heard of this, of course I wasn't looking at houses in that price range

There's a lot of people digging their basements down for regular sized humans since a lot of homes built in the early 20th century here were apparently made for hobbits. I looked at so many houses where my head would hit the ceiling in the basement.

In my old neighborhood there was a lot that was just a hole in the ground. Turns out it was an underpinning job gone wrong, the house collapsed and had to be demolished. Don't cheap out on contractors I guess.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

coldpudding posted:

There can be other hazards when trying to deepen your rowhome basement in Philadelphia:

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/breaking/20091215_Philadelphia__City_of_forgotten_burial_grounds.html

"The discovery of seven graves in the basement of a home undergoing renovation in the city's Fairmount section is a reminder that Philadelphia is dotted with forgotten burial grounds."

:getin:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

There can be other hazards when trying to deepen your rowhome basement in Philadelphia:

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/breaking/20091215_Philadelphia__City_of_forgotten_burial_grounds.html

"The discovery of seven graves in the basement of a home undergoing renovation in the city's Fairmount section is a reminder that Philadelphia is dotted with forgotten burial grounds."

:getin:

No big deal.

They’re probably just hasty graves dating to the smallpox epidemics of 1775, 1860, 1865, 1868, or 1925.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
At least it goes outside.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I imagine there is something outside that stops them from going straight out. A better solution would be to put an exhaust fan right there on the outside wall. But also I've seen people build little soffit enclosures for this kind of setup.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i love how thick some of those wood cores look

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

No big deal.

They’re probably just hasty graves dating to the smallpox epidemics of 1775, 1860, 1865, 1868, or 1925.

Great!
I look forward to the upcoming smallpox epi/pandemic and the inevitable antivaxxers who die as a result of their "natural immunity" doing its thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

moist turtleneck posted:

i love how thick some of those wood cores look

I was getting concerned that they were blown through large framing members above the windows, which would have significantly degraded their weight-carrying ability, but I'm pretty sure that those are the hole saws themselves.