Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Did Gou and Sotsu end up being at least decent in the end? I'm on a mystery kick at the moment and looking for stuff with unsettling vibes. Just finished Another which was alright, Electromagnetic Girlfriend which was fun if not short, and Sakurako's Investigation which I really enjoyed but stops before it gets to the main story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Night skeletons

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Coxswain Balls posted:

Did Gou and Sotsu end up being at least decent in the end? I'm on a mystery kick at the moment and looking for stuff with unsettling vibes.
Unfortunately no, and I say this as someone who's much warmer on it than most people here 'cause I do think there's a cool story in there with some really memorable scenes & ways of playing on the original VN's themes, but it's one hobbled by extremely poor pacing and being shackled to a total failure of a semi-remake conceit. I'd describe it as more of a grotesque black comedy than mystery or horror, as well. Have you read the original VN? Also: Have you seen Shiki? It's not much of a mystery but it does have the unsettling vibes down pat.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I would like to encourage more people to go to Comiket except both times they hold are kind of inconvenient unless you plan from the outset to visit it. Winter is just before the new year and Summer is in arguably during the most excruciatingly humid part of the year.

The wait to get inside can test your patience, but it's really cool to just browse and stumble upon a cool artist and make new connections.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Erg posted:

had a good time and didn't feel confused by it. sounds like a skill issue op
I watched the anime first and enjoyed it well enough but it was still pretty clear it had pretty wild pacing and was skipping a lot, to the point where the old Higurashi threads here had people getting pointed to translated TIPs from the VNs to help fill in the blanks. Which really set the tone for when I finally read the VN and it was immediately clear how compromised that anime was and how more satisfying the story could be when given the room it needed to breathe.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

hows the manga actually i never read it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Meowywitch posted:

hows the manga actually i never read it
Biggest issue I've always had with the Higurashi (and Umineko as well) mangas are they insistence on having the exaggerated and over the top facial expressions and art in an IMO very misguided attempt at making it more of a horror story than it actually supposed to be. Which honestly is perhaps the actual sin that the anime makes it really isn't supposed to be the seemingly pure horror story (with silly memeable facial expressions that too many people liked for some reason) it's supposed to be much more of a mystery drama with a more subtle usage of thriller/horror elements than what the anime had. Also the manga obviously loses out on the music.

The funny twist is that very occasionally there are some new/additional elements in the manga that are sort of fun, like Amakusa from Umineko being one of the Yamainu that Satoko owns in Matsuribayashi. But those are few and far in between enough that I wouldn't read them (or at least read them first) just for that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Oh boy, debilitating knee pain. Just how I wanted my time off work to go.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Having one of those mornings where I can't tell if something is a memory or a dream I had last night

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Did Gou and Sotsu end up being at least decent in the end? I'm on a mystery kick at the moment and looking for stuff with unsettling vibes. Just finished Another which was alright, Electromagnetic Girlfriend which was fun if not short, and Sakurako's Investigation which I really enjoyed but stops before it gets to the main story arc.

there's an interesting idea in sotsugyou but the execution is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I’m up to 45 min playing a game with controller now before I gotta stop. On the loving way to gaming again folks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ganbare gamer

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

I’m up to 45 min playing a game with controller now before I gotta stop. On the loving way to gaming again folks.

:cheerdoge:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

for some reason I have a much harder time turning on my PS5 than my Switch

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
At a walk in clinic gotta wait for the hours to even officially start because I can’t even bend my left knee.

Huzzah.

The only thing I’m glad for is I know the visit won’t cost me much.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Everything_OPM_/status/1740869071883976735?t=zEnbONxKMYC0Ln_eltIVOw&s=19

Murata doing Furry Road

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 30, 2023

Hot pot
Sep 17, 2015

I thought they were bringing back the Puma sister's trope, but then they showed Goku. Can't wait for this.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Turns out you can have gout attacks even in your knee! It’s not fun. Do not recommend getting gout.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Turns out you can have gout attacks even in your knee! It’s not fun. Do not recommend getting gout.

Jesus man. Hope you catch a break in 2024

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

The Black Stones posted:

Get well soon goon

A reminder to everyone to drink a fuckton of water, like way more than you think you're comfortable with

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RuBisCO posted:

Get well soon goon

A reminder to everyone to drink a fuckton of water, like way more than you think you're comfortable with

way ahead of you :cheerdoge: (for the sake of this post this is water in this mug, I don't actually drink alcohol anyways)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Well, it’s been ups and downs. My parents gave me some huge news regarding my inheritance which was quite great considering I never asked or ever begged for anything from them.

The gout is a work in progress thing. Doctor literally just had to put his hand on my knee and go “yeah, it’s gout. I’ve had it before and you can’t even stand for a day. Your knee is swollen and it’s hot compared to the other one.” Waited an hour+ for a 5 min diagnosis, lol. Basically said if the one drug that I’m taking daily doesn’t seem to be stopping the attacks we have to up the dosage. For now I switch to a whole bunch of anti-inflammatories.

RuBisCO posted:

Get well soon goon

Water is all I drink now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy poo poo, yes please. reminds me of gunsmith cats, the good parts anyways.

The Black Stones posted:

Well, it’s been ups and downs. My parents gave me some huge news regarding my inheritance which was quite great considering I never asked or ever begged for anything from them.
are they leaving you everything? :v:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Captain Invictus posted:

are they leaving you everything? :v:

No, and thank goodness. I’ve read enough inheritance post from the GBS AITA thread to know that would cause a shitstorm.

It’s in the 6 digit range though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dang yo

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Terry van Feleday posted:

Have you read the original VN? Also: Have you seen Shiki? It's not much of a mystery but it does have the unsettling vibes down pat.

I tried getting into the VN back in the day but I think the medium just isn't for me. For Shiki, as soon as I saw that it's a vampire story I lost interest. It's more enjoyable to me when the supernatural elements are kept ambiguous or to a minimum. Barring that, something different and original keeps things interesting; I like how it was explained in Another that it all started because of a nice gesture to the first dead kid, which resulted in more ghosts showing up and the curse just being an unfortunate side effect of their presence.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Should have used a Ford Bronco.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I just finished Turn A Gundam, and I'm at a crossroads. Do I watch GaoGaiGar or Vinland Saga? The two most different anime to choose from lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I just finished Turn A Gundam, and I'm at a crossroads. Do I watch GaoGaiGar or Vinland Saga? The two most different anime to choose from lol

Are you at risk of seizures due to flashing scenes that last up to two minutes long or more

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Nope, thankfully

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Turn A Gundam ftw

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Then assuming you don't start you can watch Gaogaigar. You should watch Gaogaigar. Vinland Saga is good but not a complete story yet in anime.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Buschmaki posted:

Turn A Gundam ftw

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I would (will?) watch this.

Speaking of, can anyone think of anything in a similar vein? I need something just stupid/campy/fun to watch this weekend since I get to work New Years Day on top of working Christmas this year.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you haven't seen Redline, watch Redline. Also and this my personal opinion, I liked BNA and Promare for campy fun, although they're not everybody's definition of camp.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hiro Protagonist posted:

GaoGaiGar no contest. the OP is a banger and Guy Shishioh is the coolest

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

I would (will?) watch this.

Speaking of, can anyone think of anything in a similar vein? I need something just stupid/campy/fun to watch this weekend since I get to work New Years Day on top of working Christmas this year.

Space Dandy

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

symbolic posted:

Space Dandy

Watched recently sadly.

Kwyndig posted:

If you haven't seen Redline, watch Redline. Also and this my personal opinion, I liked BNA and Promare for campy fun, although they're not everybody's definition of camp.

Ive watched Redline a few times now. I'll check out the other two, but I remember BNA getting quite a bit of poo poo here for squandering a good idea so that might affect whether I stick with it or not.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Watched recently sadly.

Panty & Stocking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

symbolic posted:

Panty & Stocking?

Also watched in the last year. I think Ive burned through most of the common/popular recommendations just this year alone. No idea why but Ive just been in the mood for that kind of stuff for a while.

e: OK now that Im actually thinking about it, Ive watched a ton of anime this year. And it somehow doesnt feel like Ive watched all that much.