Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, thematically. I think that the mechanism that does that is The Song. We know sanderson loves a magic system.

Edit: also there's a few people who point out that rand is being a huge showman in all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When he does that bit where he builds the huge pavilion around himself in real time as he strides across the field I always think “lol ok Steve Jobs”

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Data Graham posted:

When he does that bit where he builds the huge pavilion around himself in real time as he strides across the field I always think “lol ok Steve Jobs”

he then gets upstaged by the pattern itself growing the Great Trees as though to say 'yes! work together! this is good!'

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Nerdy Nightly with a good rant about how counterproductive the current 8 episodes per season paradigm is across streaming in general, not just WoT.

Rant begins near 1:10?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7FdCXJRoI

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

th3t00t posted:

Nerdy Nightly with a good rant about how counterproductive the current 8 episodes per season paradigm is across streaming in general, not just WoT.

Rant begins near 1:10?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7FdCXJRoI

Near 1:10? I watched a few minutes around that timestamp and didn’t catch anything. Can you be more specific? Unless you meant the one sentence about how Apple TV is making good shows compared to other streaming platforms.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
It's at 1:26:20 or thereabouts.

Nerdy nightly are generally pretty good if you want a reaction to the show from a couple of actors who are able to take a critical view.
Probably not enjoyable to watch for people who are not nitpickers themselves though.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

El Grillo posted:

It's at 1:26:20 or thereabouts.

Nerdy nightly are generally pretty good if you want a reaction to the show from a couple of actors who are able to take a critical view.
Probably not enjoyable to watch for people who are not nitpickers themselves though.
Their WoT Book Club was also highly enjoyable until they got to the slog. Was pretty magical to get to live vicariously through them as they read the earlier books for the first time and compared it to S1 of the show, which they had watched first.

I kind of fell off watching them during the slog as they'd spend 2/3rds of the episode talking about themselves and their various other projects and 1/3rd complaining about the books. They should have just powered through the slog as fast as possible, rather than try to maintain their 5 episodes per book schedule. There just isn't enough content in the slog for 15 hours of podcast per book.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think they have a good point overall, but I don’t think it matters that much whether Wheel of Time has 8 or 10 episodes.

The problem is that we went from 22 episode seasons to 13 episode seasons, and then 10 became the norm and now 8. The promise was that there would no longer have to be filler episodes and instead tv could focus on the story, the opposite happened, stories are dragged out over multiple seasons instead of being resolved in a single one.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Oasx posted:

I think they have a good point overall, but I don’t think it matters that much whether Wheel of Time has 8 or 10 episodes.

The problem is that we went from 22 episode seasons to 13 episode seasons, and then 10 became the norm and now 8. The promise was that there would no longer have to be filler episodes and instead tv could focus on the story, the opposite happened, stories are dragged out over multiple seasons instead of being resolved in a single one.
One of Nerdy's main points was that 8 episodes per 24-30 months is brutal. Compared to 10 per 12 months or 22 per 12 months. Audiences don't get to spend enough time with the characters to get invested anymore, and by the time the next season comes out they've moved on.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah it’s so lovely

Burns
May 10, 2008

On the one hand , wouldnt having more eps per season be good for streaming if only to pad out more watch time?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Burns posted:

On the one hand , wouldnt having more eps per season be good for streaming if only to pad out more watch time?

It's algorithm driven. Probably an artifact of looking at "completion" data, i.e., how often people watch the whole season, which is going to be more likely with a shorter season.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

th3t00t posted:

One of Nerdy's main points was that 8 episodes per 24-30 months is brutal. Compared to 10 per 12 months or 22 per 12 months. Audiences don't get to spend enough time with the characters to get invested anymore, and by the time the next season comes out they've moved on.

I've been slowly rewatching Farscape this year and it dawned on me the other day that four seasons of that show has more episodes (88 total plus a movie) than all eight seasons of Game of Thrones (73). I'm not going to claim that the former is the superior show by any metric, and god knows there are plenty of "alien of the week" episodes that barely clear the hurdle of being filler, however it is very noticeable how much time Farscape invests in the characters and uses to let certain storylines breathe compared to GOT, WOT, Stranger Things, or any other modern hit show in the streaming era. Some of that is just vagaries of the way stories are told now and evolution of the medium over time but some of it comes down to sheer logistics - 8 or 10 episodes is not enough time to tell most stories well, or even for most stories to develop organically such that they can actually be meaningful.

Amazon has nearly infinite money, so the reasoning for limiting WOT in this way is beyond me. It could be that they have some data that shows audiences are more likely to stick with fantasy shows that land in the 8-10 episode range. Or that they're only willing to invest X number of dollars and figure that a handicapped show that might become popular anyway is a better ROI than a great show that never really takes off. Maybe they have data that shows the reduced number of episodes doesn't really impact re-watchability of a show, in terms of subscription numbers and the frequency of people going back to revisit a show in between seasons. Could be any number of things but at the end of the day it is hurting the show, despite the showrunners best efforts to condense the story and keep things engaging.

Also one slightly random question - did anyone else notice that when Lan catches the arrow mid-fight on the beach in the last episode, it looks eerily similar to the sequence where Arondir catches an arrow mid-fight in the forest in Rings of Power S1? I think the shots are framed differently but otherwise they match closely enough that I almost wonder if the shows shared a fight choreographer or something.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just because a company has infinite money doesn't mean they're in the business of spending more to make a series than they make on it.

While I can't find any budget numbers for Farscape, I have to imagine each episode there is orders of magnitude cheaper to make than WoT. I mean especially later parts of the series where a not insignificant amount of time consisted of John and Ghost Scorpius (in a Hawaiian shirt) chatting in a black void.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just because a company has infinite money doesn't mean they're in the business of spending more to make a series than they make on it.

While I can't find any budget numbers for Farscape, I have to imagine each episode there is orders of magnitude cheaper to make than WoT. I mean especially later parts of the series where a not insignificant amount of time consisted of John and Ghost Scorpius (in a Hawaiian shirt) chatting in a black void.

By the last season or so Farscape was primarily financed out of Brian Henson's personal piggy bank so yeah they had to stretch it out however possible.

WOT is clearly much more expensive just because of cast, shooting locations, and costumes but Dubrovnik and Belfast are pretty well set up these days to cater to the needs of any fantasy series so it can't be breaking the bank.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hey Mat what do you think of show Mat

I feel like he nails the character

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I liked both Mats! Some of the show changes have been cringey but they seemed to have figured out how to write for the character in S2. Using the Shadar Logoth dagger to make the ashandarei was a nifty change, for example.

It's very unfortunate whatever happened with the first guy because he seemed like he had a good grasp on the portrayal. The second guy showed the same affinity plus he got more time to flesh out the character and he nailed it for the most part so I think he comes out ahead. That said, I don't think they stuck the landing on the "time to roll the dice" line during the horn sounding but ymmv.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mat Cauthon posted:

WOT is clearly much more expensive just because of cast, shooting locations, and costumes but Dubrovnik and Belfast are pretty well set up these days to cater to the needs of any fantasy series so it can't be breaking the bank.

Locations $200
SFX $150
Cast $800
Lanfear's Wardrobe $3,600
Cameras $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my tv show is dying

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I thought the first actor really nailed the broody all-my-friends-hate-me energy of books 1-2 Mat and the new actor really embodied the dashing adventure Mat of book 3 and beyond. Either doing the opposite's part might have not worked as well, so in that sense the actor change came at a pretty good time, as unfortunate as it was.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Also one slightly random question - did anyone else notice that when Lan catches the arrow mid-fight on the beach in the last episode, it looks eerily similar to the sequence where Arondir catches an arrow mid-fight in the forest in Rings of Power S1? I think the shots are framed differently but otherwise they match closely enough that I almost wonder if the shows shared a fight choreographer or something.

Can someone with more knowledge of biology and warfare answer a question for me: is it even possible for a hand to close around an arrow without the hand getting cut on the arrowhead? The arrow is traveling at some speed, and it takes time for the fingers to go from “open enough not to get clipped by the tip” to “firmly grasped around the haft and preventing motion”. Is that time enough to allow someone to catch the arrow? Or must we simply chalk this up to fantasy superpowers?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

Locations $200
SFX $150
Cast $800
Lanfear's Wardrobe $3,600
Cameras $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my tv show is dying

spend more money on Lanfear's wardrobe

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

I liked both Mats! Some of the show changes have been cringey but they seemed to have figured out how to write for the character in S2. Using the Shadar Logoth dagger to make the ashandarei was a nifty change, for example.

It's very unfortunate whatever happened with the first guy because he seemed like he had a good grasp on the portrayal. The second guy showed the same affinity plus he got more time to flesh out the character and he nailed it for the most part so I think he comes out ahead. That said, I don't think they stuck the landing on the "time to roll the dice" line during the horn sounding but ymmv.

Both actors had such a firm grasp on the character from their first moment on screen that it makes me want to see a Season 1 with Dónal Finn as Mat and a Season 2 with Barney Harris as Mat, though I imagine that that version of Season 2 would be wildly different from the one we got because they wouldn't have had to spend any time digging themselves out of the hole Harris bailing on the show post-COVID put them in. It's still just absolutely bonkers that the guy just disappeared without a trace.

Really, all I want for Mat as a character at this point if for him to get out of that goddamn bathrobe he's been stuck wearing for three years now.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Can someone with more knowledge of biology and warfare answer a question for me: is it even possible for a hand to close around an arrow without the hand getting cut on the arrowhead? The arrow is traveling at some speed, and it takes time for the fingers to go from “open enough not to get clipped by the tip” to “firmly grasped around the haft and preventing motion”. Is that time enough to allow someone to catch the arrow? Or must we simply chalk this up to fantasy superpowers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U6w-MjbD60

Mythbusters did it.

But also he's a magically empowered super fighty man.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

pseudorandom name posted:

:hmmyes:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's algorithm driven. Probably an artifact of looking at "completion" data, i.e., how often people watch the whole season, which is going to be more likely with a shorter season.

Algorithms ruining everything

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

pseudorandom name posted:

Yes.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I want a Lanfear daily life in the Age of Legends spinoff show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Seinfeld but with the forsaken.

LtT is newman

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Grundulum posted:

YouTube has a ton of arrow catching videos. You can deep dive it at your leisure, but in practical terms the act of catching something isn’t just holding your arm stiffly and closing your fingers. It’s a full body motion and you can adapt these full body motions to most reasonable arrow shapes so you don’t maim yourself grasping the shaft of the arrow.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Watch out for arrow catching bloopers

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should have had the folks over in the CGI dept whip up some bloopers with various cast members laughing with an arrow skewering their hand.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Seinfeld but with the forsaken.

LtT is newman

Ishamael, complaining about Llews to Sammael and Lanfear. "Oh, I've looked into his eyes. He's pure evil."

"...Therin!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The suicide scene from IT Crowd but it's LTT and the secretary saying Ishamael is here to talk to him about saidin

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
"What's the deal with these so-called Aiel?"

"No saa for you!"

Aginor slowly hiding behind a stalagmite as Shaidar Haran goes on a rant about these drat ta'veren

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Mat describing Aviendha's dancing as 'a full-body dry-heave set to music'.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
"It's easier for a woman not to channel than a man. We have to do it, it's part of our lifestyle."

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

Mat describing Aviendha's dancing as 'a full-body dry-heave set to music'.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

"It's easier for a woman not to channel than a man. We have to do it, it's part of our lifestyle."

:perfect:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Brolander posted:

Lews is gettin upset!

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Oh yeah? Well the Black Ajah store called. They're running out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Colonel Cool posted:

Oh yeah? Well the Black Ajah store called. They're running out of you.

What's the difference? You're their all-time best Sitter