Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Gf’s niece got Mario Wonder for Christmas and we’re all hooting and hollering playing it. It’s maybe the funniest game I’ve ever played. It’s sooooo fun

it's insanely ftw and based

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Piranha Parade level (which is, like, world 1-2) was the moment I knew that game was gonna be a banger and it never failed to deliver after that

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I got Metroid Dread recently and I'd say the gameplay is definitely its strong point and everything after that just kind of facilitates the gameplay. The plot is even kind of clever all things considered (for a Metroid game). Thinking about why the different levels don't quite stand out on their own, I think maybe it's that they all have an EMMI zone which tend to feel same-ish, and they don't quite feel as self contained somehow as like Super Metroid. The art style, music, colors, etc, for the areas in Super were all very distinct, in Dread it tends to blend together a bit even though the areas can be pretty different (you've got your abandoned base area, water area, lush flora/fauna area, fire area, a polished looking futuristic area....)

As for being railroaded, I haven't really tried to do a ton of sequence breaking other than early bombs but I do feel like at least by mid game you can kinda just go around and look for stuff and try to check for new paths even when you know"go here next" is what's being asked. I think the capability to explore is there, your regular path is maybe just a bit sign posted (but not really it's usually just moving forward from the last boss or powerup and then you search for the hidden passages etc that let you progress)

I dunno, great game I think, but also yeah I'd grab it now while it's $20 off if it seems appealing since it hardly ever goes on sale. Again, I think the gameplay is the best of any Metroid game I can remember playing (but it's been forever since I played Fusion and I didn't play the 3DS ones).

e: I'm dithering on getting Disco Elysium for Switch as I already have it on Steam but I don't crack open my laptop for games at all any more and might actually play it on Switch...should probably just get it

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

If you have the Nitro Deck you can download an updated firmware that lets you change the level of the horrible rumble it shipped with. I haven’t used mine since updating but that annoying loud rumble, and the fact I didn’t find it comfortable to use, were the reasons I stopped using it. I really want the hori compacts but find it hard to justify spending another $50 on yet another set of joycon replacements at this point.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Gf’s niece got Mario Wonder for Christmas and we’re all hooting and hollering playing it. It’s maybe the funniest game I’ve ever played. It’s sooooo fun
Based Wintendo.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

otter posted:

The retroflag one twice killed the usb control / Ethernet on my switch so I’ll likely never put the switch back into it.

That... is new information to be. I'm going to look into that, thank you.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Pigma_Micron posted:

That... is new information to be. I'm going to look into that, thank you.
I have the oled splatoon 3 switch.

There’s pretty much no info on it but it starts out when I first got the retroflag grip.

Plugged it in, it wouldn’t pair. I unplugged it, tried all the options and it wouldn’t work. Tried updating the firmware. Nothing. Returned it to Amazon and got a replacement.

The replacement already had newer firmware, plugged it in and no go. Plugged my kids’ switches into it and they worked fine.

About a few days or so later I noticed the switch wouldn’t connect to the wired internet. Spent time trying to get it to work, found both my kids’ switches connected to the Ethernet fine in my dock. Wouldn’t work with the usb Ethernet either. Plugged in the pro controller and despite selecting wired pro controller it appears to be connected wired because it would charge though the amiibo support still works. That means it’s not using the wired connection.

I ended up sending it to Nintendo and they just replaced it. I plugged the replacement one into the retroflag grip and it worked fine for about 3 weeks, then the exact same thing happened to it. I waited from April until the day after Wonder came out to send it in to Nintendo for replacement again.

So I ended up finding one other review on Amazon that mentioned the same kind of problem with it not being recognized and they happened to also say they had the splatoon oled model switch.

There is yet another newer firmware for the retroflag grip but I’m not chancing it again since my switch is now out of warranty.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lol this game is so silly. Thanks for the recommendation.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I just picked up Astral Ascent on a lark, anyone else playing it? It seems really cool. First boss kicked my rear end.

The music seems way way too chill though

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I played Disco Elysium and Pentiment back-to-back and it was glorious.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Thanks for the DE talk. For the price on the current sale it's kind of a steal and wow, playing it for 30 minutes was crazy.

I'm sure I'm giving myself mental whiplash switching between that and Wonder.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DE is really good. my big tip is to give yourself a few hours to play it cos sometimes you just get in a really long conversation

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've posted in the FE thread, but Engage is terrific and thank you all for recommending it to me over the months. It has single-handedly renewed my interest in the series which was so badly shaken by Awakenings.

There's still a lot of stuff in it I don't get or care for (essentially all the crafting/customization and things happening in the hub or the art direction and voice-acting), but the tactics are top-notch and the gameplay is really good.

Seeing how nicely it all looks in 3D gives me up we could get a Remastered version of the GC and Wii games but that's some really wishful thinking.

Between this and Pikmin 4 I'm set for a while. Have I mentioned how good Pikmin 4 is? It's terrific. It's a wonderfully entry into the series, even if I suppose it may be harder to go back to the early ones, but it's also just full of content in a way the others weren't.

Something I appreciate in both games is the ability to rewind a turn/time. It's such a time-saver especially for when ones a slip of a finger or whatever. Such a lovely QoL thing that I'm glad it's moving into games outside of emulators.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Just finished xenoblade* 2 main game and holy poo poo. What a game and what an ending. Probably the best rpg/jrpg style in my experience in years.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 31, 2023

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

they made a xenogears 2 ...?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DE is really good. my big tip is to give yourself a few hours to play it cos sometimes you just get in a really long conversation

This is the main reason I've barely started it. Just doesn't work for my gaming timeslots. Maybe next time I have a long flight or whatever.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

An Actual Princess posted:

Yeah. Xenoblade 1.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

An Actual Princess posted:

lol blah, all the Xeno games. I meant Xenoblade chronicles 2

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Just finished xenoblade* 2 main game and holy poo poo. What a game and what an ending. Probably the best rpg/jrpg style in my experience in years.

I really had trouble getting into Xenoblade 2 but I’m glad I pushed through those early chapters, the last act of the game is excellent

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yeah. Xenoblade 1.

Wouldn't xenosaga 1 be xenogears 2?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cheesus posted:

Thanks for the DE talk. For the price on the current sale it's kind of a steal and wow, playing it for 30 minutes was crazy.

I'm sure I'm giving myself mental whiplash switching between that and Wonder.

Yeah I started it last night and the first minute already convinced me it's going to be an unforgettable experience.

Only thing is I can't decide on a build. Definitely going high Psy, can't decide if my other investment will be physical or motorics. I know it doesn't "matter" for gameplay but just deciding if I want to RP a sensitive clutzy brute idiot or a sensitive skillful weak idiot.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Check the title screen changes out if you haven't, then get cracking on the DLC.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Mega64 posted:

If there's one thing Dread goes out of its way to make right, it's Samus. It's like the dev team saw Other M, looked at each other, and agreed, "We must ensure we do the exact opposite of that." This is Samus at her most experienced, so nothing phases her, she has little tolerance for bullshit, and even when things go crazy she keeps her cool because she's loving Samus, she's done this poo poo like ten times by now, what can loving stop her?

Except for that one moment when she absolutely does not keep her cool, and it's :hellyeah:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Augus posted:

I really had trouble getting into Xenoblade 2 but I’m glad I pushed through those early chapters, the last act of the game is excellent

They really really went out with a bang. This is one of the games I finished with my 9 year old daughter and I saw even her getting teary eyed about The mythra sacrifice. she was a huge fan of Poppi and Tora and the blade bonding intro whenever I was getting a unique blade.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Xenoblade 2 was fantastic but I can't imagine what they were thinking to put gacha mechanics in a single player game. Like it's cool to give everyone a different experience based on the blades they initially pull, but for there to be no way to fill out your roster even end game was horrible. Without it it would have been my favorite game in the series.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I had three separate stalled out attempts at XBC2 after buying it when it came out. Just about a week ago I decided to try again and finally made it to the either the chapter 3 or 4 finale, I can’t remember which. Whichever one unveils Mythra. I was instantly hooked. Between the gacha and all the different systems and the slow story, it really doesn’t make a great first impression. But once it gets going, it gets really good. It’s been hard to put it down since.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I played all of XBC1 and XBCX but the combat is so automatic and boring I can't get myself to want to play another 80 hours of it to try 2 or 3

Gorgeous games but I wish they had more traditional jrpg combat or something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

maybeadracula posted:

I played all of XBC1 and XBCX but the combat is so automatic and boring I can't get myself to want to play another 80 hours of it to try 2 or 3

Gorgeous games but I wish they had more traditional jrpg combat or something.

Yeah I've seen videos about how the combat system works and people like "So here's how you can solo the endgame superboss in 25 seconds" and I just don't understand any of it. I just spam my arts and cancel them then use the chain attack when it is built up, and topple broken enemies when I can, and launch toppled enemies when I can, with no thought behind it. The menus are too finicky to get invested in speccing everything out just right and using some correct sequence of moves.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

XBX is more about payoff from equipment and build choices, so you're doing silly things like insane TP gain per hit mixed with oversized magazines on rapid fire SMGs to pump out infinite chain attacks starting five seconds in, plus targeting specific areas

XB2 is more active combat and positioning matters more, once you have more than a single blade and the two types of action/element combos unlocked you're switching and cancelling between them to work up combos for a big finisher

You don't need to play either these ways of course, you can just make number go up and progress, but it'll be less interesting if you stick with your fave blade and immediately kick off actions whenever they're ready. I've seen people play that way and still have fun but it's less engaging.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yeah I've seen videos about how the combat system works and people like "So here's how you can solo the endgame superboss in 25 seconds" and I just don't understand any of it. I just spam my arts and cancel them then use the chain attack when it is built up, and topple broken enemies when I can, and launch toppled enemies when I can, with no thought behind it. The menus are too finicky to get invested in speccing everything out just right and using some correct sequence of moves.

That's how it felt to me.

Use character1's attack that does STATUS, then use character2's attack that is effective against STATUS

over and over just waiting for the meter to fill up

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I failed at my 2023 game goals so for 2024:
* finish Breath of the Wild (I really just need to go kill Gannondorf but spent a lot of time on the DLC and got lost in the weeds.)
* finish Mother 3
* Play through a pokemon game (taking recommendations)
* play through a Xenoblade game
* play through a SMT game

Suggestions?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

otter posted:

* finish Breath of the Wild (I really just need to go kill Gannondorf but spent a lot of time on the DLC and got lost in the weeds.)
* finish Mother 3

Suggestions?

Beat Ganon, take a screencap of the ending scene

lol jk buy more games

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

otter posted:

Switch Pokemon Snap!

Aside from that my favorite is Sun & Moon.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

otter posted:

Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

For Pokémon they’re so interchangeable at a certain point, I’d just go for the newest one, Scarlet/Violet which I personally found to be the best and most interesting ones in a hot minute.

If you must play something older you could do worse than the Diamond and Pearl remakes I guess. Gold & Silver were the last ones to really captivate me but that’s probably because of my age at the time and being right in the middle of the pop culture phenomenon. They were significant upgrades to the original games though and have a hell of a post game so I think that’s why it made such an impression on me and why the series was diminishing returns after that.

poo poo I didn’t mean to write that many words about Pokémon. Uh, X and Y were pretty cool

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
TBH I think all of the 3ds pokemon games and most of the DS games are better than the Switch ones, if you don't care about active multiplayer.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

otter posted:

* finish Mother 3

Suggestions?

Pokemon Legends Arceus and Xenoblade 2: Torna.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

xedo posted:

Pokemon Legends Arceus and Xenoblade 2: Torna.

Arceus is by far the pokemon game I’ve spent the most time on. I played sword for like 2 hours. Yellow for like 8. I had a lot of hours into Arceus because I was trying to complete the Pokédex before moving on to the next area so I only ever got to the part where you get the bear thing you ride around on. Then I upgraded from the original switch to oled and didn’t realize my game save wasn’t backed up so I lost it. I had at least 30 days of playing 5-6 hours a night and many more of 2-3 hours a night. Thats probably what I will do is restart arceus.

I had to wait until the kids were going to bed and take it from whichever had it that day before I could play.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Arceus is the best Pokemon game and I wish they made another one like it but with denser environments and graphics that didn't look like a launch era GameCube game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Technical performance aside my big hope in the jump from Arceus to Scarlet/Violet was that they put more effort into area design and made some compelling landscapes and areas that gave a real substantial sense of exploration. Didn't really happen at all which made the latter a massive disappointment for me after the initial hopeful buildup. Basically feels like Game freak doesn't know how to do much beyond take a flat plane and use some kinda warp tool to pull up some blobby hills or carve out valleys. The wild area followed by Arceus and S/V have really established an extremely unfortunate pattern.