Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I got a 1:48 IS-2 for Secret Santa and I flipped my hobby room upside down looking for the Tamiya 1:48 figures I bought back in 2009 just so I had something to add to it. I managed to find one tank crewman glued to a busted up KV-2, but when I opened the box it turned out that the IS-2 already comes with a pretty nice figure. I really like that tradition of theirs and I'm glad they do it for 1:48 kits as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I finally got one of those cheap Chinese airbrush spray booths. Do I need to know anything before/when setting it up?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Southern Heel posted:

I finally got one of those cheap Chinese airbrush spray booths. Do I need to know anything before/when setting it up?

Make sure the motor is combustion proof before using any potentially explosive paints in it.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Be careful with getting hot thinners or airbrush cleaner onto the plastic of the base/sides as they can melt it or weaken the hinges (mine all eventually snapped off). I'd lay some newspaper on the bottom to catch any spills.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you both. Am I right in thinking that they can’t quite cope with the volume of an aerosol primer?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Mine clears it out... Eventually. It's definitely intended for airbrushing only.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you both. Am I right in thinking that they can’t quite cope with the volume of an aerosol primer?

Spray cans will overwhelm them, yes.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Yep, they get overwhelmed with aerosol cans. They'll clear the fumes eventually, but it'll take a while and the filter will get caked pretty quickly. Seconding the note not to use strong solvents in them. The plastic will melt quickly.

In other news, I think the carpet monster is loving with me. That or there are gnomes in my model room. A couple days ago, I was using an old airbrush needle that I bent up to punch center holes for drilling. I use it for this often and the needle has a specific place in my tool holder. Mid way through the build session last weekend, the needle just vanished. I tore the bench apart looking for it but couldn't find it. Nor could I find it a couple days later. Today, I'm working at the bench and, lo and behold, there's the needle sitting in it's spot in the tool holder. WTF.

Also today, I dropped a small part. It hit the bench, bounced off my shirt, and then I *heard it hit the floor.*. I spent the next ten minutes looking for it on the floor (it's laminate, so I usually find things quickly). Finally, I gave up, smacked my head on the desk while standing up, and there, sitting in the middle of my wok mat, plain as day, was the part I was looking for.

WTF^2.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
What I do with my cheap Chinese spray booth is have it venting out the window and in the window next to it I have one of those window fans on exhaust mode. And I often will also have a fan behind me pointing towards me to kind of push the air in the general direction of the exhaust fans. After I'm done spraying I leave the room for a while. This is good enough for me for spraying lacquers, and rattle can paints and primers. I still wear a respirator though.

Another thing I do when I'm just spraying with rattle cans is just open the window wide and stick my arms out and spray it out that way. Almost no fumes get inside like this.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Chuck_D posted:

Yep, they get overwhelmed with aerosol cans. They'll clear the fumes eventually, but it'll take a while and the filter will get caked pretty quickly. Seconding the note not to use strong solvents in them. The plastic will melt quickly.

In other news, I think the carpet monster is loving with me. That or there are gnomes in my model room. A couple days ago, I was using an old airbrush needle that I bent up to punch center holes for drilling. I use it for this often and the needle has a specific place in my tool holder. Mid way through the build session last weekend, the needle just vanished. I tore the bench apart looking for it but couldn't find it. Nor could I find it a couple days later. Today, I'm working at the bench and, lo and behold, there's the needle sitting in it's spot in the tool holder. WTF.

Also today, I dropped a small part. It hit the bench, bounced off my shirt, and then I *heard it hit the floor.*. I spent the next ten minutes looking for it on the floor (it's laminate, so I usually find things quickly). Finally, I gave up, smacked my head on the desk while standing up, and there, sitting in the middle of my wok mat, plain as day, was the part I was looking for.

WTF^2.

Scale Modelling: There Are Gnomes In My Model Room

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Chuck_D posted:

WTF^2.

I have encountered similar situations where parts and/or tools have gone missing only to turn up right in front of me. And on some occasions paint just going missing or being in a completely unexpected spot.

Could also just be the fumes/inhalants causing that though.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Ghosts of modelers past.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Smoke posted:

Could also just be the fumes/inhalants causing that though.

Post/user name combo.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Don't think my 3rd backlogtoberfest project will be done by the new year. I've still got quite a bit to go on the 787B but I'm okay with taking my time to get it sorted properly and with the right amount of detail. Don't want to start something new until I have the other 2 kits I have going completed.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does anyone have any tips on finding reference pics? I know the obvious answer is use Google images and it does work pretty well but there are times when even it is lacking. What other sources are out there? I'm mostly talking about for armor and aircraft models.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Does anyone have any tips on finding reference pics? I know the obvious answer is use Google images and it does work pretty well but there are times when even it is lacking. What other sources are out there? I'm mostly talking about for armor and aircraft models.

Museum websites? The US Air Force Museum at least has a few photos of each plane in their collection.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I have a growing collection of reference books on specific aircraft or vehicles. Go to sprue brothers or amazon and search for your topic of interest.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, for these sorts of historical subjects, books are still usually the best resource. You can always search for your subject on Scalemates, and it will usually have a good collection of the books (and models, addons, products) for that subject.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Another good source can be war memorials photo archives and oddly enough forums where people are building specific items and go to the effort of digging up photos to ensure they make things completely accurate to the vehicle in question

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Chuck_D posted:

I have a growing collection of reference books on specific aircraft or vehicles. Go to sprue brothers or amazon and search for your topic of interest.

Yup subject-specific books, rather than general "aircraft of world war 2" type books are more useful to modellers - from publishers like Squadron Signal, Osprey, Warpaint etc.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Wikimedia Commons is always my first place to start for reference photos. If I can't find what I need cataloged in absurd detail, I've usually got some citations to dig through for what I do need.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Charliegrs posted:

My absolute favorite when it comes to books for armor and vehicles are published by a Polish outfit called Wydawnictwo Militaria. Many books on particular vehicles with tons of photos, scale drawings and colors.
Some are in Polish but many are in English too.

http://militaria.net.pl/en/

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
There's a couple good websites out there that have user-submitted walkarounds of museum, etc pieces:
https://www.primeportal.net/the_battlefield_armor.htm
https://www.recomonkey.com/Land-Platforms/Tanks

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Museum pieces are not the best reference since many of them went though years (sometimes decades) of post-war service which changed their look significantly, lost some elements of stowage along the way, or in some cases were "improved" by potentially well wishing but poorly informed army personnel.

For photographic references, I use:
IWM (mostly British)
Waralbum (mostly Soviet, but tons of Western Allied and German photos as well
Australian War Memorial (entirely Australian, but lots of photos of British and American tanks

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Toadmans Tank Pictures is also a great site. He has a fairly extensive selection of free photos on the site, as well as more in-depth and higher-res packs of photos for specific subjects for $5 per pack. I bought one of the packs previously and it was well worth the money. Extremely thorough interior and exterior photos.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Work on the frozen shithole continues. I had a faint hope of finishing it before the end of the year, but lol. I still have 14 more figures I want to squeeze into it in various (mostly early) stages of completion, so you only get a WIP.

On the plus side, if I take a look at all the models I've done this year, I feel a lot more productive.

Despite identifying as a 1:35 scale tank guy, out of 16 completed items only three are 1:35 tanks (ok, technically one is a tank destroyer and one is a tankette, but who's counting) and 6 are 1:35. Most of the tanks I did this year are in smaller scales (1:100 and 1:72), but there was also some larger scale stuff: my first bust in 1:10 and two crapguns in 1:6.

I also only managed to add three more tanks to the backlog this year (one of which was a gift), so I'm doing well on grinding it down. Here's to another year of huffing inhalants!

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Finished off the Trumpeter 1:72 Chinook yesterday, final build of the year. I've got two more that are very close to completion but I was unable to finish them off in time. Decent kit but the paint guide is kind of lovely so I cribbed from the Revell kit's instructions for anything that was unclear or missing.

It looks quite imposing with other vehicles in the same scale (Although the Landrover is 1:76)

I'm also working on another Trumpeter kit that has the same issue of vague paint instructions that actually manage to confuse themselves between the three possible build options. I'm doing the same there, as well as with yet another kit although for that one I'm using the 1:144 Revell version instructions.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Finished the Tamiya RX-7 Cabriolet with a couple of days to spare. Not a car I'm hugely into, so it was tough to get motivated at times. Pretty happy with how it turned out, even with cutting a couple of corners. Onto the next one!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Also wrapping up Backlogtoberfest with an FC RX-7 (of which I am fond). Lord Rupert and I know each other, so it's not a total coincidence, but there was an element of chance to it all. Anyway...

And...

So two for this stretch. Some struggles with both, but all in all it was a good time wrapping these up for once and for all.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
As 2023 winds down, so does Backlogtoberfest. Remember to post your summary pics of the finished backlog kits by the end of next weekend! I'll get mine up tomorrow.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I got sidetracked doing DnD figurines so I didn’t finish a single model.

I did get a booth and a nice model of the Titanic though.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Amazing work as always in this thread! Love to see so many different topics!

My contribution to the Backlogtober is small, a figure! A Soviet tank commander from Masterbox.

I was hoping to get the Trumpeter Panzer38 finished but time ran out.

My partner and greatest enabler gifted me four kits of which two are by Dragon. As a teenager I always wanted the Dragon kits but they were out of my reach. Soon I'll finally get to experience it.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The following was my goal for backlogtoberfest.

I managed to get two of the 4 fully complete and the Mazda 787B is getting closer to being complete as the final run of Pictures show. The end of the work year was not kind to my modelling time and as you can see in the images I'm adding a bunch of detail which is taking time. The thicker hoses aren't yet complete which is why they look messy for now.

First off the block was the Peugeot 206 WRC which only ever got held back because the weather was too poor to get clearcoating done last summer.

Standard tamiya quality on this one.

Next was the Audi R8 GT3 car. This one was mostly complete before the starting gun but I had a mishap with the decals which meant a full strip a redecal once they'd arrived from china.

While the car looks cool in it's completed form it was a bit of a dog to get together with all of the wheels coming off when I attempted to fit the body. Nunu/Beemax do some interesting kits but they aren't the nicest to put together.

The last one which didn't get completed in full was the Mazda 787B. This is one of my holy grail kits and has been an on and off project since I got it at the very end of 2020. I'm adding as much detail as I can to the engine bay make it look accurate. It's just about ready to be on wheels for the first time. A couple more days of work should see it completed in full.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Work on the frozen shithole continues. I had a faint hope of finishing it before the end of the year, but lol. I still have 14 more figures I want to squeeze into it in various (mostly early) stages of completion, so you only get a WIP.

On the plus side, if I take a look at all the models I've done this year, I feel a lot more productive.

That's really great stuff! How do you do the snow effect?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The bulk of it is Liquitex modelling paste, top layer is Vallejo Foam/Snow.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Regarding snow on dioramas, I haven't personally used this body glitter spray stuff, but I saw it it in a video a few years ago and it looked very convincing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPO82JU/?th=1

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Green Stuff World has a really interesting frost effect that grows crystals. Not a huge fan of the company, but it certainly is an interesting product. I used it to make kind of a frozen over swamp/mud effect and think it was pretty neat!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I've been looking into the different types of AK "effect" paints and I'm not sure if I understand their use right. Stuff like "fresh mud" or "earth effects" doesn't look as thin as stuff like "enamel wash" or "streaking grime". So is the former just a specific mix of color tone for painting those types of surfaces, is it meant to be thinned like a wash, cleaned with thinner after painting, or something else altogether?

Feels kind of like a dumb question but I've been digging through the AK Youtube channel to find some guidance and I'm failing

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

I've been looking into the different types of AK "effect" paints and I'm not sure if I understand their use right. Stuff like "fresh mud" or "earth effects" doesn't look as thin as stuff like "enamel wash" or "streaking grime". So is the former just a specific mix of color tone for painting those types of surfaces, is it meant to be thinned like a wash, cleaned with thinner after painting, or something else altogether?

Feels kind of like a dumb question but I've been digging through the AK Youtube channel to find some guidance and I'm failing

I believe they are a wash with clumps of pigment mixed in to simulate things like mud and dirt clumps. And from what I've seen they work pretty well. Also I think you are supposed to just use it right from the jar no thinning. If you want a good idea of what it looks like check out the YouTube channel Andy's Hobby HQ and look for his build videos he uses the AK Effects on a lot of his builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
E: never mind, I reed gud.