Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Of all criticisms to make against Mihawk, 'not plot relevant' is certainly not one I expected to see today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Of all criticisms to make against Mihawk, 'not plot relevant' is certainly not one I expected to see today.

Tbh I’m more surprised by Hancock, like literally how does Impel Down-Marineford happen without her.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Terper posted:

The heck does it take to matter for the "overall plot" to satisfy yall

I mean you could say the same about Nami, Usopp, Franky, Zoro etc. gently caress plot, i’m here for the hang.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh I’m more surprised by Hancock, like literally how does Impel Down-Marineford happen without her.

filler arcs tbh

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Mihawk and Boa always came off as nearly Emperor levels of strength but had no reason to expand their territory and we're just now learning that Kuma was probably as strong as Big Mom or Kaidou but had no ambition to be at that level

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bisse posted:

I mean you could say the same about Nami, Usopp, Franky, Zoro etc. gently caress plot, i’m here for the hang.

Luffy wouldn’t make it to a single island in the grand line without nami

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ah yes, Bisoromi Bear, the Kaido level threat

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Moria was literally the main antagonist of an entire arc!

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
what in the gently caress is going on in here lol we need the new year of one piece stat

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Happy double finger

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

what was everyone's favorite chapter of 2023

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think a bunch of the shichibukai are emperor level strength but lack the charisma/desire to be pirate king so don't have a huge armada backing them up. Like I'm not saying Mihawk would beat whitebeard/kaidou/big mom in a one on one fight but it'd certainly be close. In the same way Luffy was being called one before he'd actually beaten Kaidou

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Ah yes, Bisoromi Bear, the Kaido level threat

It's kinda loving me how most of us here are introduced to Kuma vs. what's happening now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Kuma's Life

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

1079. Aka Shanks destroys Kidd.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Actually how about everyone ranks their favorite chapters of the year? Here's a handy tier list maker for this:

https://tiermaker.com/create/one-piece-2023-all-chapters--15638466

Here's my list:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias posted:

Actually how about everyone ranks their favorite chapters of the year? Here's a handy tier list maker for this:

https://tiermaker.com/create/one-piece-2023-all-chapters--15638466

Here's my list:

This has been a wild year for One Piece

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Moria's setup does seem lacklustre but I can imagine his near total control of the Florian Triangle was strategically useful for the World Government, given that I believe you have to pass through it to get to Saobody, and therefore the New World. Most of the original warlords make sense to me as occupying a useful fiefdom other than Mihawk (who is useful to have on-side just due to his raw power and renown) and Hancock (where her being an warlord kindof just seems like cope so that the World Government can pretend that Amazon Lily is under control when they have no hope of actually capturing it).

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It got lost in the amazing Kuma stuff, but the cutaways from Egghead were great, Eustass Mid, Galaxy Impact, Buggy making Mihawk sweat, fraud Dragon, just incredible stuff happening all over building to something. Now Saturn is about to deal with Kuma, the giant robot, Gear 5 Luffy, maybe Kizaru, and someone from the Blackbeard Pirates all at the same time. When everything is in chaos is when I love One Piece the most.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Moria's setup does seem lacklustre but I can imagine his near total control of the Florian Triangle was strategically useful for the World Government, given that I believe you have to pass through it to get to Saobody, and therefore the New World. Most of the original warlords make sense to me as occupying a useful fiefdom other than Mihawk (who is useful to have on-side just due to his raw power and renown) and Hancock (where her being an warlord kindof just seems like cope so that the World Government can pretend that Amazon Lily is under control when they have no hope of actually capturing it).

I don’t think all the paths crossed it, but Moria was probably pretty helpful in eliminating upstarts. He and his crew would have dispatched the Straw Hats pretty easily had they not been so complacent.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 1, 2024

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Moria was very strong for where he was in the world. The Strawhats only barely won by the skin of their teeth, it's not like he was some East Blue chump who got knocked out with one good punch.

Having a roving ship that only gets stronger as it defeats more pirates is a very useful thing for the WG. Mihawk and Hancock essentially fill the same role: someone to call on to specifically take out basically any pirate you want them to. Some random rookie is not going to be able to beat them, it they can use that to try and starve the Emperors of new recruits.

Hancock is not like... generally on the side of pirates, she's not gonna have qualms about taking out some rando. She loves Luffy, specifically.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

More importantly, it's pirates that aren't actively going after your stuff generally, there's unaffiliated nations for them to go after that aren't your problem at all also along with going after other pirates who will probably have loot or other stuff.

V Well Kuma is the most advanced weapon created who likely wouldn't be as strong without all the cyborg modifications done by Vega so I don't think it hurts that much in hindsight. But also there's a clear gap between losers sticking in Paradise vs people who go around in the New World

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 1, 2024

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Imo the Moria stuff really suffers because Kuma comes in and completely outshines him and ends up seeming way cooler than the goofball we just spent an arc with.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i was gonna say the garp galaxy punch is the most hyped i've been reading a manga in a long while but honestly there were a lot of moments like that, it was a good year for one piece

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The egghead cutaways were great except for the part where Robin apparently had her second real fight post-timeskip entirely offscreen :sigh:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

My favourite chapter of 2023 is the one where Robin finds out Saul is alive because she deserves the world

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best chapter of 2024 will be when we get to Elbaf and Robin sees Saul

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scholtz posted:

Imo the Moria stuff really suffers because Kuma comes in and completely outshines him and ends up seeming way cooler than the goofball we just spent an arc with.

Well everything was starting to fall apart for Moria around then as his officers had been defeated including Perona, who was abandoning ship even had she not been sent away by Kuma.

Moria had gotten too complacent and screwed up how he did things.

Also wish Oda a happy birthday.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RuBisCO posted:

My favourite chapter of 2023 is the one where Robin finds out Saul is alive because she deserves the world

that was 2022 :v:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Finished up Dressrosa on my reread, got to chapter 800.

Overall I think Dressrosa is still a weaker arc overall but definitely has great moments. God Usopp is incredible. The lack of Nami, Sanji, Chopper, and Brooke isn’t as bad as it could have been. I still don’t really care for how Gear 4 looks, but at this point I think it was intentionally an awkward design both to evoke that weird form Luffy took on Thriller Bark and to contrast with the upcoming Gear 5.

Doflamingo’s weakest aspect is I’m still not sure why he even has followers. We don’t see enough of him being a great boss to inspire the confidence that his underlings give him, and it’s only implied in backstory that Trebol and the others were using him to live an easy life. There’s certainly no reason Bellamy should have been so ride or die.

All the gladiators and future Straw Hat Grand Fleet are great and I enjoyed all their fights. Chinjao rules.I had totally forgotten about the dude that is just Ideon, he also rules.

This arc is still far better than Fishman Island. Even if cool Usopp poo poo hadn’t happened it would still be far better than that. Fishman Island is absolutely the low-point of the series for me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
in retrospect gear 4’s appearance makes perfect sense as a zoan fruit’s hybrid form

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A commons theme with Doflamingo’s underlings is that they’re desperate to feel like they’re part of a family and often have individual personality quirks that make them easy to manipulate.

It’s less that he’s a good boss and more that he preys on people’s insecurities and makes them emotionally dependent on him

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 2, 2024

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Julias posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Augus posted:

A commons theme with Doflamingo’s underlings is that they’re desperate to feel like they’re part of a family and often have individual personality quirks that make them easy to manipulate.

They also have a playing card suit theme to them too

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Julias posted:

oh no

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

actually this was the best page of 2023

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Donflamingo has rizz and style and a plan, how could you say no to someone so clearly on a path to the top

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mihawk mad that he had to stand up

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

I don't know why but god drat that made me feel old more than any birthday I've had in my slowly older age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I forgot about that, but honestly, yeah, that is one of the best pages of the year. Buggy defeated both Crocodile and Mihawk in just 1 full page spread. Fraudhair Shanks only beat Midd, 1 jobber, in that page space.