Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Why did Maki have to stop wearing glasses

Gege decided face scars are cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jerkface posted:

No way !!! I meant it derogatorily because he's the super op character from the prequel one shot that was absent for the entire front half of the manga who shows up to be super OP and stuff. I can't imagine anyone having any attachment to him whatsoever and I find his shtick of being OP to be boring just like Gojo and Sukuna

You have a very limited imagination.

Also it wasn't a prequel one-shot, it was the original version of Jujutsu Kaisen. Like this entire series is essentially a retool of an existing manga with the exact same name and concept.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Blockhouse posted:

Also it wasn't a prequel one-shot, it was the original version of Jujutsu Kaisen. Like this entire series is essentially a retool of an existing manga with the exact same name and concept.

It had a completely different name if we're being pedantic. And it was a one shot since it was published in jump giga, not serialized in shonen jump...

https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/1279126041135644672

And look at this!! Anyways you're being pedantic. I think most ppl did not engage with year 0 first, I don't think it was even available on shonen jump app until midway through JJK's run. And I dislike Yuta as a character, hes a little super powerful dweeb.

hakari is the only super powerful guy who fucks

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 1, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Yuta gets a solid character arc and glow up from borderline-suicidal bullied kid with an overpowered ability he can't control, to nice guy who gets poo poo done.

I've got nothing negative to say about him, and the story in JJK makes it clear that while he's one of the heavy hitters, there's a fundamental gap between him and the likes of Sukuna and Kenjaku due to his mindset - he just isn't selfish enough.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Jerkface posted:

It had a completely different name if we're being pedantic. And it was a one shot since it was published in jump giga, not serialized in shonen jump...

https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/1279126041135644672

And look at this!! Anyways you're being pedantic. I think most ppl did not engage with year 0 first, I don't think it was even available on shonen jump app until midway through JJK's run. And I dislike Yuta as a character, hes a little super powerful dweeb.

hakari is the only super powerful guy who fucks

i don't think yuta is a particularly great character but calling him a self-insert or w/e because he's "super OP" is silly

everyone at this point either has ridiculous/vague powers or is on the sideline, hakari being a great example

stuker fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 1, 2024

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

its just a short hand descriptive burn

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Face scars + glasses (mean teacher glasses svp)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He's right

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

the point was to set this up as the villain stealing this cool power because Gojo's sentimentality hosed everyone up on this. Which kind of is what holds him back at every step of this narrative and leads to so many many problems.

Did anyone know there was some non-human curse taking over bodies for hundreds/thousands of years? I never got the inference that this is a failing of Gojo's. So he's supposed to atomize his own friend after killing him just in case some curse that looks like a human brain can hop in that poo poo?

Also is Gojo really that sentmental? A huge reason Geto had his mental break was Gojo became the strongest and then just kind of hosed off and stopped doing stuff with him. That doesn't read as particularly sentimental, but I'm open to having misread the situation. If he cared more wouldn't he be an old softie and insist on doing missions with his bro? It's clearly established that at that point, no one can tell him what to do, period.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 1, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Taima posted:

I never got the inference that this is a failing of Gojo's. So he's supposed to atomize his own friend after killing him just in case some curse that looks like a human brain can hop in that poo poo?
i think a lot of the emotional aspect you're leaning on is kinda invalidated by gojo killing geto the first time

Taima posted:

Also is Gojo really that sentmental? A huge reason Geto had his mental break was Gojo became the strongest and then just kind of hosed off and stopped doing stuff with him. That doesn't read as particularly sentimental, but I'm open to having misread the situation. If he cared more wouldn't he be an old softie and insist on doing missions with his bro? It's clearly established that at that point, no one can tell him what to do, period.
more up to interpretation, but my take on what broke geto was riko's death and him feeling useless after the toji fight-- the divide started well before gojo learned how to bring himself back to life

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Jerkface posted:

it would be incredibly silly if Yuta killed Kenjaku then teleported over and killed Sukuna, but he's Gege's OC Don't Steal so it would fit the empty fulfillment of this finale

This would be the funniest outcome and I'm all for it. Have him do the exact same teleport-beheading too, no cursed technique, nothing, just chop and done.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Taima posted:

Also is Gojo really that sentmental?

Gojo is very sentimental. He went to the fight of his life dressed as the guy that gave him the fight of his life, he couldn't manage to finish off Geto properly, he didn't wipe out the rest of Jujutsu society but in the end tried to push people towards a reform; he's been characterized as being on a similar path to Kashimo, but Kashimo went all in on the path towards absolute strength, Gojo ended up not following that path because he wanted to make sure none of his pupils would've had a falling off like Geto had. Still, he was intrigued by the question Kashimo tried to answer through murder; he's so sentimental he wanted to use Sukuna's fingers to reform Jujutsu society, rather than seal them off.

Gojo is sentimental, you have to read his characterization through the lens of a divine being over the rest of humanity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Taima posted:

Did anyone know there was some non-human curse taking over bodies for hundreds/thousands of years? I never got the inference that this is a failing of Gojo's. So he's supposed to atomize his own friend after killing him just in case some curse that looks like a human brain can hop in that poo poo?

Not in specific but it's stated it's common practice destroy the bodies of sorcerers to keep bad poo poo from happening. Kenjaku calls Gojo saving Getos body instead if burning it specifically and specifically because of his attachment to Geto.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gege has specifically said that Geto was essentially Gojo's conscience which is what drove Gojo so insane when Geto broke down and became a curse user. Everything that Gojo did after Geto snapped was because Geto snapped. The reason that Gojo didn't just immediately kill the higher ups and flatten the other clans is because the image he had of Geto in his mind wouldn't have approved. Same reason he asked Geto if he should execute the entire Star Cult; he was using Geto's judgment as his own. It's actually a bit similar to Jogou with Sukuna; Jogou was kinda broken by the rear end whupping he got from Gojo so he tried to be more strategic fighting Sukuna- who while praising his strength, admonishes him for not acting like a proper disaster curse should and just trying to burn everything in his way.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/poyopoppin/status/1741541568803123691?t=-rl7pAeOClwhQFmx2XZYEQ&s=19

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't browse any manga sites or discussion pages for the few series I check out, usually pretty happy to be in my own lane and check on things time to time

But I gotta ask, am I having bad luck on SA or are most of the threads super negative? Each time I try to check a series out or see what the reception is on here it's 'this poo poo is slop I hate it hey new chapter it sucks' and it's just got a weird feeling all around at this point. I'm genuinely asking and not trying to start anything even though I know my post can be read that way but it just seems so strange to keep up with a series you hate

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't browse any manga sites or discussion pages for the few series I check out, usually pretty happy to be in my own lane and check on things time to time

But I gotta ask, am I having bad luck on SA or are most of the threads super negative? Each time I try to check a series out or see what the reception is on here it's 'this poo poo is slop I hate it hey new chapter it sucks' and it's just got a weird feeling all around at this point. I'm genuinely asking and not trying to start anything even though I know my post can be read that way but it just seems so strange to keep up with a series you hate

Not at all? Most of the threads are made by fans than enjoy series they post about. Good stuff like dungeon meshi, golden kamui, etc. gets a lot of praise.

Besides, keeping up with the things you (love to) hate is great stuff.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yeah, maybe you're just in a bad luck zone where the media you consume is considered a rough patch by the fans. But even literally this thread was up on JJK like a month ago, when we had Takba and Kenjaku's Fanta-sea. Hajime No Ippo is on the up and up, the recently finished Dungeon Meshi got praise the whole way....

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The miscellaneous romance manga thread is also usually pretty chill/upbeat vibes, in no small part due to Polar Opposites.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That's fair, I don't get a lot of time to read manga or watch anime and I like straightforward action and likeable characters so poo poo like MHA (in the past) and JJK were easy suggestions according to friends, so just kinda striking out maybe??

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Both JJK and MHA have\had major authorial issues and divisive story points, so i think that's bad luck on your part. Manga like one punch man, frieren, dungeon meshi, dandadan may have some complaints at times but are generally very positive.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 2, 2024

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
But have you considered that love and hate are two sides of the same coin and thus the more you hate something the more you will find that you in fact actually love it? Do you hate JJK because you love it, or do you love JJK because you hate it?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It varies from forum to forum and subject to subject. In ADTRW, there's a big culture where the tone of the thread is kind of dictated by the posting style of the posters within it. I think most non-popular shonen threads that get made tend to be rather positive or at worst a healthy mix of praise and criticism. But yeah, for shonen series it just depends on the temperament of the posters in them. One Piece is usually a pretty positive thread with occasional criticism, but both the MHA and JJK threads tend to get lot of criticism (some fair, some not) that tends to make those threads feel overly negative most of the time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You have to love something to really talk about how much you dislike some aspects of it :shrug: it's clear to me that almost everyone active in this thread loves JJK. You can like something and critique it; if no one cared we would just put it down and not talk about it

JJK can also be particularly prone to criticism because the author basically destroyed it about halfway through in favor of doing a completely different and arguably much less nuanced thing, so you're doing to have a wide range of opinions.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want Gojo's legs to get back in this fight

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the ambition of stuff has a big impact. Not a lot of people here talk about, say, Black Clover but aside from some dismissiveness whenever I see it come up it is people being pretty positive about it because Black Clover is aggressively standard and doesn't really do much besides offer a variety of characters getting increasing powerups and heroic speeches and that may be all people want.

MHA, for all its flaws, tried to both be a standard shonen punchman, a superhero story, a school story, and try to deal with the issues of systemic racism and abuse in society without having any clear end goal, and a lot of people's complaints about it tend to be born from those things. It's why people tend to be more positive about, say, MHA: Vigilantes which has the benefit of both being done and handling the subject matter better.

JJK is absolutely nothing if not ambitious but if it succeeds at what it is doing is kind of a person-to-person basis. The Gojo thing is probably the biggest example of that. Nobody is shocked the mentor character died in a dramatic fight against the main villain, but having him suddenly randomly ganked offscreen directly after coming back from his last 'mentor character written out of action' hiatus is a hell of a pitch but having that kind of a pitch also comes with the risk of losing the audience if it doesn't work for them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

JJK thread has been pretty negative for a long while and over stuff that is genuinely really good, to the point it's spilled over to the anime thread as manga readers hop in to moan about some imaginary turn in the themes of the story.

Attack on Titan manga thread became a clusterfuck as it ended, with everyone who had a chip on their shoulder coming in to drop their big brained takes on what the author was trying to say even though they were mentally checked out and only following the MTL speedscans (sounds familiar?). This went on to spill to the anime thread as well, even though reception there was largely positive to the confusion of manga thread regulars.

Haven't checked the Frieren thread here, but in other SA-adjacent spaces they were pretty down on the manga the moment demons showed up, because they didn't expect the story to have stakes and violence and "demons being psychopaths is boring".

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Conspiratiorist posted:

JJK thread has been pretty negative for a long while and over stuff that is genuinely really good, to the point it's spilled over to the anime thread as manga readers hop in to moan about some imaginary turn in the themes of the story.

Attack on Titan manga thread became a clusterfuck as it ended, with everyone who had a chip on their shoulder coming in to drop their big brained takes on what the author was trying to say even though they were mentally checked out and only following the MTL speedscans (sounds familiar?). This went on to spill to the anime thread as well, even though reception there was largely positive to the confusion of manga thread regulars.

Haven't checked the Frieren thread here, but in other SA-adjacent spaces they were pretty down on the manga the moment demons showed up, because they didn't expect the story to have stakes and violence and "demons being psychopaths is boring".

"Imaginary turn in the themes of the story," jeez. I get that you have a more positive view of the events of the story than other people, but we didn't just make poo poo up.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Literacy is loving dead.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

You're going to have to give a list of what you think is good that people complain about. Because I think everyone was onboard for Takaba but there's no denying that Maki's development was rushed and hamfisted, Gojo vs Sukuna was a good fight with a garbage end, and Sukuna vs everyone is just more of the same. The culling game is undeniably a mishmash of writing quality compared to previous arcs and aside from the odd issues with people solely relying on speed translations to convey their frustration or the MHA asides, I think JJK is getting about as good as it's giving us the reader.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

You're misremembering things here pretty heavily to try to prove your point.

Attack on Titan's manga thread was positive towards the series (more or less) until the last chapter which pretty much everyone hated not because of speedscans but because it was a loving bad chapter. This can be proven by the fact that it got a second revised ending chapter and then the anime further revised that revised chapter to fix or adjust the things everyone hated and the author himself has admittedly he presented it poorly. Nobody in the manga thread was 'confused' by it because the reception in the manga thread was "Oh, hey, they fixed the poo poo people hated."

You're trying to go "heh, they just didn't understand the story because they were angry" to a series which literally rewrote its ending twice.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
All the girls sucking/getting killed off/playing second fiddle to the boys in manga definitely sucks, but I've just grown so used to it that it's not really "ruining" any of the comics I read anymore. All the good shonen fightman mangas are guilty of some bullshit

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Brought To You By posted:

You're going to have to give a list of what you think is good that people complain about. Because I think everyone was onboard for Takaba but there's no denying that Maki's development was rushed and hamfisted, Gojo vs Sukuna was a good fight with a garbage end, and Sukuna vs everyone is just more of the same. The culling game is undeniably a mishmash of writing quality compared to previous arcs and aside from the odd issues with people solely relying on speed translations to convey their frustration or the MHA asides, I think JJK is getting about as good as it's giving us the reader.

I'm talking about the real JJK that had clearly always been intended to be lead-up (and follow-up) to the Shibuya Incident, vs the imagined JJK that was a low stakes magic battle school story until out of the left field the author decided to go chop chop for cheap thrills. This might seem coming from the ancient past of two years ago since this thread is naturally much more concerned with ongoing manga events, but it was discourse driven by the same kind of reading of the material, and recently revived for the anime thread.

I've already voiced my own criticism on the Culling Game's pacing and Gege improperly following up on plot threads - what I'm saying is that JJK has always known what it's been about, and it's all of this, which is why when it looks like Gojo's got it clinched I can got :hmmyes: when his defeat comes so suddenly it's portrayed as a hard cut to his final passing thoughts, while we got half a dozen people here going "wait what just happened did gege forget a page i'm so checked out this sucks where's nobara"

ImpAtom posted:

You're misremembering things here pretty heavily to try to prove your point.

Attack on Titan's manga thread was positive towards the series (more or less) until the last chapter which pretty much everyone hated not because of speedscans but because it was a loving bad chapter. This can be proven by the fact that it got a second revised ending chapter and then the anime further revised that revised chapter to fix or adjust the things everyone hated and the author himself has admittedly he presented it poorly. Nobody in the manga thread was 'confused' by it because the reception in the manga thread was "Oh, hey, they fixed the poo poo people hated."

You're trying to go "heh, they just didn't understand the story because they were angry" to a series which literally rewrote its ending twice.

Folks were praising stuff the anime "fixed" that was in the original, non-revised chapters! I was lukewarm about how the story ended myself (the ending's grown on me a bit as time goes on and I digest it more), but you had deranged rants about how the proof was in the pudding that was Isayama is an antisemitic fascist or how it's all meaningless because the titans caused an ecological apocalypse.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
JJK and MHA especially are in their final arcs, which for a weekly shonen manga means having to resolve the arcs of literally everybody in the manga that didn't finish theirs in time, completely ignore other characters, have to deal with the final boss that's been hyped up for hundreds of chapters (that may not have an actual way of being defeated thought out in advance) and most important, the authors loving dying from overwork.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Folks were praising stuff the anime "fixed" that was in the original, non-revised chapters! I was lukewarm about how the story ended myself (the ending's grown on me a bit as time goes on and I digest it more), but you had deranged rants about how the proof was in the pudding that was Isayama is an antisemitic fascist or how it's all meaningless because the titans caused an ecological apocalypse.

The anime literally rewrote the conversation between Erin and Armin because the original sounded so bad. Again, the author has gone on record and said "this did not come across as I intended." That particular conversation was probably the biggest sticking point people had after the first set of reversed chapters actually gave more of an ending than "Erin is a bird now." (and even the revised ending was redone to make it clear that it took place on a much larger timescale than the original series.) Trying to get angry at people for something the author has said was a mistake on their part is dumb.

Scallop Eyes posted:

JJK and MHA especially are in their final arcs, which for a weekly shonen manga means having to resolve the arcs of literally everybody in the manga that didn't finish theirs in time, completely ignore other characters, have to deal with the final boss that's been hyped up for hundreds of chapters (that may not have an actual way of being defeated thought out in advance) and most important, the authors loving dying from overwork.

Yeah, I generally assume that any problems with JJK at least are partially "I am so tired please god let me end the series please."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

The anime literally rewrote the conversation between Erin and Armin because the original sounded so bad. Again, the author has gone on record and said "this did not come across as I intended." That particular conversation was probably the biggest sticking point people had after the first set of reversed chapters actually gave more of an ending than "Erin is a bird now." (and even the revised ending was redone to make it clear that it took place on a much larger timescale than the original series.) Trying to get angry at people for something the author has said was a mistake on their part is dumb.

Revisions changed exactly two things and you're zeroing in on them as if they were the only criticisms people had of the ending entire post-rumbling final lap.

You're mad because Armin thanked his friend for doing a genocide. I'm mad because Eren wasn't the baby daddy. We're not the same.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I generally assume that any problems with JJK at least are partially "I am so tired please god let me end the series please."

You can probably attribute to almost any shonen tbh.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Conspiratiorist posted:

You're mad because Armin thanked his friend for doing a genocide. I'm mad because Eren wasn't the baby daddy. We're not the same.
The totally literate poster is telling us Eren never liked Mikasa and instead had a secret plot to preserve his sacred genetic material by inseminating historia. You're right, we're not the same.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 2, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I'll throw another chip in and I think JJK is "guilty" of drawing a lot from religion/mythology/esoterism we (as western readers) are not familiar with.
I've read weird (but still convincing) theories about all the buddhist symbolism surrounding, mostly, Sukuna and Gojo.

Its usage of symbols does some kind of lifting about what themes the story is supposed to tell, and some of the foreshadowing we've been shown(like, Sukuna being shown his mummy, dressed as a buddhist monk who has undergone a process of live self mummification in order to get out of the Samsara circle, states: "It's ironic". What is that supposed to mean?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Char posted:

I'll throw another chip in and I think JJK is "guilty" of drawing a lot from religion/mythology/esoterism we (as western readers) are not familiar with.
I've read weird (but still convincing) theories about all the buddhist symbolism surrounding, mostly, Sukuna and Gojo.

Its usage of symbols does some kind of lifting about what themes the story is supposed to tell, and some of the foreshadowing we've been shown(like, Sukuna being shown his mummy, dressed as a buddhist monk who has undergone a process of live self mummification in order to get out of the Samsara circle, states: "It's ironic". What is that supposed to mean?).

He is saying it is like rain on your wedding day.