Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's so weird because at one point in his career he knew how to make fun of himself. Being the only person in the company that truly believed that the Hurricane and mild-mannered reporter Gregory Helms were two completely different people was really loving funny and made him look like an absolute idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Gavok posted:

Not even 10. Black Adam was a real "emperor has no clothes" moment for him.

He apparently burned a lot of bridges with his failed power play of bypassing the production hierarchy at Warner to pitch directly to David Zaslav "Every DC movie for the next half a decade should be focused on Black Adam and Superman." (Which I think he tried before the movie even opened and flatlined at the box office.)

Shinjobi posted:

Just wild to think he was considered at one point to be a big box office steroid for action movies, and he flushed it all down da dang toilet

Which was overblown to begin with, because his headliner movies never really caught fire (domestically, at least.) Dwayne's biggest hits were almost universally films where he was part of an ensemble cast; nobody turned up for stuff like Skyscraper and Rampage.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Your point is definitely true but i looked and Skyscraper made 300M and Rampage made 480M, which i mean for "the world's most bankable actor" and hollywood math and blah blah blah but to my idiot yokel brain those both seem like large numbers lol

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The Rock is an insanely charismatic guy but he's also 50 years old and desperately needs to reinvent his on-screen persona because it's just not working any more.

He also seems to really have a problem taking criticism lately which is weird because he used to be really good at taking the piss out of himself. Like Black Adam was bad (not as bad as people made it out to be, but still bad) but he's going to pretend like people were really clamoring to see his version of Black Adam beat up Superman and Batman or whatever for the rest of his life. What happened to the guy that dunked on Doom all the time?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
You guys are complaining but the rock promo last night was making fun of himself. The baywatch bit was pretty funny.

And in terms of anyone’s star falling - say what you will but we are still in the COVID years where the box office has lost 2.5b since pre pandemic.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's so weird because at one point in his career he knew how to make fun of himself. Being the only person in the company that truly believed that the Hurricane and mild-mannered reporter Gregory Helms were two completely different people was really loving funny and made him look like an absolute idiot.

I genuinely think it was the Fast franchise that killed him; combo of A) him having more money than ever which traditionally means "I never have to listen to anyone ever again", and B) he was on someone else's turf and realized quick he wasn't the only one with that card and he could still be told no. Everything goes off a cliff sharper than ever right after the Vin feud happens, he couldn't handle it

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

someone post the video of the rock in his car explaining hollywood accounting and box office numbers in an increasingly coping manner

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe I’m old and jaded and don’t particularly care about any of Rocks movies (I still haven’t seen a single Fast movie) but I’d argue he’s still an insanely popular A-lister in Hollywood. He had a few flops but literally everyone in Hollywood makes flops.

Yes the Black Adam fiasco was uniquely hilarious but the DC movie universe was a mess and awful way before him so I don’t see how it impacts much.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: beaten

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

fart blood posted:

Maybe I’m old and jaded and don’t particularly care about any of Rocks movies (I still haven’t seen a single Fast movie) but I’d argue he’s still an insanely popular A-lister in Hollywood. He had a few flops but literally everyone in Hollywood makes flops.

Yes the Black Adam fiasco was uniquely hilarious but the DC movie universe was a mess and awful way before him so I don’t see how it impacts much.

The Black Adam thing impacted him very heavily because he was basically trying to strongarm his way into being in charge of the DCCU, so he needed Black Adam to be an absolute blockbuster hit on the level of Avengers/GotG. When it flopped, it completely deflated his image as THE guy who could make an action movie a smash hit, and it also gave the people in charge of the DCCU (that he'd tried to sidestep or go around) all the ammo they needed to convince their bosses to kick him to the curb.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It also made him look like a giant rear end in a top hat because he insisted he wanted nothing to do with the Shazam movie despite how well it did and, you know, Black Adam being Shazam's arch-nemesis.

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
Dude needs to take lessons in how to own his flops like Reynolds does (Green Lantern).

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
can you smelllllll

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Also I should add it's important to remember that in Hollywood, you're only as good as your last hit. The Rock hasn't had a major hit for some time now, and after the high-profile disaster that was Black Adam, studios are going to be reluctant to bring him in for a multimillion dollar blockbuster now that he has the stink of failure all over him. Going back to WWE isn't about the money so much as it is a chance for him to get away from Hollywood for a while and rehabilitate his image (by selling out WM).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rock had to go crawling back to the Fast franchise and now that whole thing is in trouble because whoops turns out Vin Diesel is a sex pest

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

remembering how the rock got mad that he couldn’t promote his tequila at the premiere for the superhero pets movie for kids

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

has anyone done a wellness check on EMF

bartok
May 10, 2006

I think Moana was the last thing I genuinely enjoyed The Rock in.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm trying to remember if it was EMF or That Dick that was making GBS threads on folks with epilepsy a few days ago.

bartok posted:

He was legitimately fantastic in that movie.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

someone post the video of the rock in his car explaining hollywood accounting and box office numbers in an increasingly coping manner

vids hard to find now but i made this around this time last year

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bartok posted:

He’s doing the live action of that

Also saw a commercial for the UFL with The Rock front and center

Who knows what the next Fast movie is gonna be or do since Vin Diesel just caught a sexual battery suit.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

remember when he bought the XFL from Vince to save the old man's dignity

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

That DICK! posted:

lmfao

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Before we started talking about all this I hadn't actually looked at the Rock/Roman picture in a while, it's so funny. Rock isn't sad or angry or whatever he's just baffled.

"I'm doing the thing. Why isn't it working anymore. They're booing even though I specifically asked for the opposite of this."

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

That DICK! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXfjdsReahs

lol

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

oh right lmao i forgot makin that. i really fuckin loved that clip and specifically the line "that's something to think about contextually when you talk about black adam"

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

With a bullet, by the way....

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Rock had to go crawling back to the Fast franchise and now that whole thing is in trouble because whoops turns out Vin Diesel is a sex pest

Kill off Dom(off screen so you don't have to pay Vin), bring back Dom's brother(John Cena), and just make the whole thing a Rock/Cena buddy flick.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought you were talking about Dominik Mysterio for a moment there.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

nobody turned up for stuff like [...] Rampage.

We're reminded of this every friday!!!

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
if that promo is any indication, maybe the Rock should do some drat cardio before he gets in the ring again, woof

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dominik's brother being John Cena would just raise a whole lot of questions.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Family.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rhonne posted:

Kill off Dom(off screen so you don't have to pay Vin), bring back Dom's brother(John Cena), and just make the whole thing a Rock/Cena buddy flick.

I like to think that a huge part of The Rock's recent insecurity comes from Batista and Cena eating his lunch as actors with stuff like Peacemaker and anything where Batista is wearing tiny glasses.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXoxHLyMuw&t=1s

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

This was eight years ago lol

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

oof, between cody constantly getting short changed, jade not doing anything for 4 months, and lexis king being eliminated from the breakout tournament, it’s time to admit that hgh is fumbling former aew stars

might be wise for anyone thinking of jumping ship to reevaluate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Andrade looking over at Cody thinking it's a good gig