Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

some kinda jackal posted:

I've never had an MX style boot before so I'm wondering how much I can expect something like an A* Tech7 Drystar to actually break in. Day one feels like I'm wearing a literal cast, and I'm going to need to adjust my shift lever up on both bikes since flexing the boot down to get my toe under there was difficult to say the least; probably not something I want to fuss with in a panic.

I'm not terribly worried if the answer is "a bit, but you're still going to be wearing a cast", since I can make this work. I'm more interested in setting a realistic expectation of how much the leather gives after use.
I don't know about those boots specifically, but dirt bike boots are much more rigid than other motorcycle boots, because it is assumed you may bash your feet into rocks and logs while you're riding. If it's not actually uncomfortable, then I personally wouldn't worry about it too much and just make the lever adjustments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's about what I assumed, thanks. These are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever worn in my life, but they're also really stiff, which I gather is just how it's done. If they break in a little they'll be perfect.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The "adventure" type boots are a bit of a compromise, not as protective as the ones you have but a lot easier to walk around and move your ankle.

I have some of these, they're pretty nice

https://www.sidi.com/en/touring/253-stivali-adventure-2-gore-tex.html

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

That's about what I assumed, thanks. These are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever worn in my life, but they're also really stiff, which I gather is just how it's done. If they break in a little they'll be perfect.

They shouldn’t break in much. They’re intended to stop you from moving so if that changes then that’s a problem.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Any recommendations for Goretex type gloves?
My use case is PNW fall, winter, spring, down to 26F/-4C in rain. I need a visor squeegee/wiper on them and would prefer long gauntlet style that can go over my jacket sleeves.
I've looked at Held KTC gloves and those seem nice.
I'm weary of those thinsulate liners that want to pull out with your hand if your skin is even slightly damp. I don't mind paying for quality products if they last longer and/or work better, preferably both.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If you get gloves with "Gore Grip" there isn't a little liner to pull out. The membrane is laminated to the fabric, and it just feels like a normal glove.

I have these Alpinestars Patron, but seems like they're discontinued, so you're out of luck if you're not a size small. The visor wiper is kind of poo poo, though. It works, but only just. There are also these gloves from Rev'it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I know exactly what you mean. I bought some snowboarding gloves and they gave me claustrophobia every time I had to take them off or put them on because of those dumbass liners.

I have Rev’it Sand 4 waterproof gloves that work fantastically, but I don’t think they’re as long or warm as what you’re looking for. They’re ideal with heated grips and are what I wear basically September to May.

I need something warmer for the scooter or our other bikes without heated grips, but that’s relatively low priority.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

I've never had an MX style boot before so I'm wondering how much I can expect something like an A* Tech7 Drystar to actually break in. Day one feels like I'm wearing a literal cast, and I'm going to need to adjust my shift lever up on both bikes since flexing the boot down to get my toe under there was difficult to say the least; probably not something I want to fuss with in a panic.

I'm not terribly worried if the answer is "a bit, but you're still going to be wearing a cast", since I can make this work. I'm more interested in setting a realistic expectation of how much the leather gives after use.

My dude are you wearing $400 MX boots on the street

and if so why

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

Any recommendations for Goretex type gloves?
My use case is PNW fall, winter, spring, down to 26F/-4C in rain. I need a visor squeegee/wiper on them and would prefer long gauntlet style that can go over my jacket sleeves.
I've looked at Held KTC gloves and those seem nice.
I'm weary of those thinsulate liners that want to pull out with your hand if your skin is even slightly damp. I don't mind paying for quality products if they last longer and/or work better, preferably both.
I'm wearing a pair of Dainese Scout 2 this time of year and they're holding up just fine to PNW weather (despite my earlier post about heated gloves). They match what you're looking for, only problem is they seem to be discontinued so you might have to scrounge around for a pair in your size. When it's not really cold or really hot I'm usually wearing the Rukka Virium 2.0 GTX which is more or less identical to that Dainese pair just less insulated/bulky.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

My dude are you wearing $400 MX boots on the street

and if so why

Street and my first excursions into off-road, just wanted one good pair of boots to move forward with. I'm not taking any chances in case my bike catches my leg.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

bizwank posted:

Rukka Virium 2.0 GTX.

Those are my #1 choice if only I could find them in my size. They also appear discontinued and only odd sizes are left.
I'm considering Held Score KTC gloves. They seem well reviewed and are available in my size.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Street and my first excursions into off-road, just wanted one good pair of boots to move forward with. I'm not taking any chances in case my bike catches my leg.

Just remember that your leg has to snap somewhere, and wearing an mx boot just moves that up a few inches.

But in all seriousness it doesn't take too long to get used to shifting as long as you can reorient the shifter to allow the new sized boot to fit in there, unless you're trying this on a sportbike in which case mx boots will not work at all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For sure, thanks. Yeah, I’ve had a few busted ankles in my time so I figured I’d let some other bone carry some weight for a change. And I’m 100% sportbike’d out — only upright-ish for me now :)

I had to adjust the shifter on both my bikes and they fit really well now. It’s still unusual to have to be so conscious moving my foot to shift for now, but I’ve been out all of twice since I got the boots. Next year I’ll be wearing these out the gate so I expect they’ll just become second nature.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 13, 2023

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

It's definitely a vaudevillian hook catch instead of a rotation of the ankle to shift. Makes it harder to catch another gear when wheelie-ing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yelling "Yoink!" into my helmet with every up-shift

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I couldn’t be happier with my Klím Badlands GTX for goretex gloves.

And speaking of boots I love my waterproof TCX boots. Not sure if water proof boots are the norm but I’ll never go without. Taken them through so much and after literally everything else is soaked through I’ve always, always had warm dry feet.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ulf posted:

I couldn’t be happier with my Klím Badlands GTX for goretex gloves.

And speaking of boots I love my waterproof TCX boots. Not sure if water proof boots are the norm but I’ll never go without. Taken them through so much and after literally everything else is soaked through I’ve always, always had warm dry feet.

I ended up buying TCX Goretex boots. I did my first ride with them today and they are very nice and comfortable

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Just counted and I'm at 5 pair from TCX, 2 pair from Alpinestars, and a single pair from Sidi and Icon

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

TotalLossBrain posted:

I ended up buying TCX Goretex boots. I did my first ride with them today and they are very nice and comfortable
Which ones did you buy? There are some pretty decent sales on TCX right now, and considering some.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
These:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, yeah, those are the ones I was looking at.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
most of my shoes have little italian flags on them because of rock climbing and motorcycling

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
You should take up road cycling for the hat trick. In at least one case (Sidi) you won’t even need to change brands!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
And you won't think the prices high, either.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Any recommendations for a tail bag/crate/box for commuting around town? I've decided I'm over the backpack life and miss having an old milk crate on the back of a scooter. I'm tempted to just get another milk crate, but I'm paranoid of what hard plastic edges would do to my seat. I have an old Kriega 10 drypack that I use for the occasional road trip, but something bigger would be nice.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I just got a Mosko Moto duffel bag that I’m absolutely in love with. It’s probably overkill for anything but really long road trips, but it’s waterproof, nigh indestructible, well supported, and made by a company I can drive to on a nice day.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Huh White Salmon. I didn't know that place had anything but breweries and windsurfing shops.

Edit: would you go 84 or 14?
Having driven both, I think it's obvious

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I was out that way this summer with the fam. My parents wanted to do the Fruit Loop by Mt Hood. I told a friend from the area about it, and they had never heard of the fruit loop. So I'm not sure if it's really a thing. Unfortunately I was bikeless that trip. Good wine, though

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Professor Wayne posted:

Any recommendations for a tail bag/crate/box for commuting around town?
I just went full dad with a hard top box pretty much immediately when I started riding. It will inevitably look like rear end but it's just so incredibly practical. Weather proof lockable storage for a full face helmet and as much volume again of other stuff is just :kiss:
I fully understand why people refrain because of aesthetics but for me there's no turning back from the dad life. I use Givi though Shad seems highly regarded too.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I used to keep a drybag strapped to the seat, but after dropping the cash for the mount and box, my Shad box stays on the bike 80% of the time. Shad SH48 here. Big enough for two helmets and when my wife wants to go for a ride she appreciates the padded back rest a lot.

However if you're not committing to a proper luggage box, this looks like a really good deal:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-d-tail-motorcycle-tail-bag?sku_id=1041973

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 28, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Edit: would you go 84 or 14?
Having driven both, I think it's obvious

14 for suuuure. 84 is only when you’re in a hurry and don’t mind feeling like you’re in a wind tunnel.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Givi Dolomiti top box is where it's at for practicality without looking like complete rear end. For tail packs Kriega is top notch.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

metallicaeg posted:

However if you're not committing to a proper luggage box, this looks like a really good deal:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-d-tail-motorcycle-tail-bag?sku_id=1041973

I was looking at that Dianese, the latest Olgio (that Dianese is based off their old model): https://ogiopowersports.com/products/tail-bag-2-0-stealth, or a Nelson Rigg (which I'm leaning towards a little bit): https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nelson-rigg-sport-tail-bag?sku_id=1565686.

I would love to get a hard top box. But after looking at some of those today, I don't think the bike I'm getting in a few weeks has viable mounting options. But the three bags I'm looking at look like decent compromises. I'll just wait and see what my options look like when the bike comes in. I'm probably jumping the gun a bit

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

metallicaeg posted:

I used to keep a drybag strapped to the seat,

This is a smart idea that never occurred to me. I just keep a cargo net stretched across the pillion.

Does anyone color-coordinate their riding gear, with their other apparel or with their bike? The helmet I'm looking at has a ton of colors and patterns. I was considering matching or trying to complement the pattern on my bike, but I don't want to look like a dweeb or power ranger either.

Not a high priority, but I'm kinda bored of all black everything.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sort of. My helmet mostly matches my leathers. My boots and leathers match, and I kind of want to change my gloves to match, because I am precious (wrong shade of red :o:).

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I got a full Dainese spaceboy outfit in black with fluorescent red. Loud colors, quiet bikes. Always fun to see the looks on people's faces when you grab something at the shops. Though way overkill for street riding, the one piece i got is also just incredibly comfortable.

But i kept my black and white gloves that were part of my previous outfit because those gloves are still very good.

All those white parts on the gloves started to annoy me after a couple months, so i painted those the same shade of red as the suit. Also got new boots because the Sidis i had before were starting to get really worn out. Sole was coming loose and was almost worn through from walking in them. And then i also decided to get a new helmet, because black helmets are kinda boring and the old one was getting slightly too big anyway.

I painted the white parts of the gloves in the exact same shade as the Dainese suit. Worked well. I used Angelus leather paint for that. It holds well both in dry and wet weather, except for parts on the fingertips that continuously rub agianst the finger next to it. I posted pics of that process a couple months back. If you only have a couple of accents to modify, painting is definitely a realistic option.

One really nice thing is that everything red is now fluorescent. Interestingly enough, the red parts of the suit even fluoresce in completely monochromatic sodium light. Definitely makes you stand out more than just black everything.

Both my bikes are black so there's not a whole lot of matching-related issues there. The Yamaha might turn white with flashy decals though, because white plastic 90s sportbikes rock. Got a decal cutter at work, might as well use it!

If you really try to match your outfit with a bike, do take a moment and consider how long you'll be keeping either.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 29, 2023

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Looking sharp, both of you.

My cold/wet weather jacket is solid black. My summer jacket is tan. I'm pretty much riding only on the street and short highway runs, so a full touring or racing getup would be overkill. I am looking into getting a leather jacket at some point so it would be nice to coordinate that too, but that's a lower priority. I had my eye on the red/white version of this: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-mile-jacket

LimaBiker posted:

If you really try to match your outfit with a bike, do take a moment and consider how long you'll be keeping either.

Good point. I think I'm going to be hanging onto this bike for a while. My current matte black helmet is two years old so it still has some life in it, but I think it would be useful to have a second helmet.

I was considering either a solid red or a pattern like this:

to coordinate with a bike that looks like this

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Both of my jackets are black/grey with red accents, and my helmet, gloves and pants are pretty much all black. This also happens to match my bike, which I swear wasn't planned, those were just the only color options I liked once I'd settled on what gear I was buying. I didn't even noticed I matched until someone else pointed it out to me.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My revit quantum jacket has this kinda interesting “splash” design. It was so hard finding anything that’s not black in leather gear. Would have preferred if all the leather sections were white but oh well.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/revit-quantum-jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
Has anyone had luck with a different sized center pad for Shoei? I had a medium Qwest that fit fine but I get forehead pain in my RF-SR after an hour or so. I've dealt with it for a bit now and was debating just trying a RF1400 but if a 5mm pad alleviates it that would be ideal.