Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
2023 was a banger year for One Piece, Nika loving drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Scholtz posted:

Mihawk mad that he had to stand up

Same, really.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The best chapter of 2024 will be when we get to Elbaf and Robin sees Saul

That will be 2025

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

The best chapter of 2027 will be when we get to Elbaf and Robin sees Saul

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Scholtz posted:

Mihawk mad that he had to stand up

“I better stay off-panel in 2024 … or I’M FINISHED”

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

The best chapter of 2028 will be 10 back to back double pages of Sanji reacting to all the fish in All Blue

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The best chapter of 2033 will be when Barkley 2 is finally released.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

actually this was the best page of 2023

I still love how Mihawk acknowledges Luffy is on the same level as Blackbeard and Shanks. :allears:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Mihawk took one good at look at Luffy and realized he was insanely dangerous just from his ability to recruit just about anyone.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kinda hosed up that Mihawk’s disciple, if asked to fight three emperors at once, would probably just be like “yeah bring that poo poo”. Oh wait, he got tag teamed by two emperors for his captain last arc and got up for more, because he’s not a fraud.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I really can only read that as Buggy's Mom and Dad just getting furious with him.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You don't become the world's strongest swordsman by challenging multiple non swordsmen to royales to the death. That's how you become another dead swordsman

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mihawk just wants to chill on his own island and be left alone

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Hell, same

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Julias posted:

that was 2022 :v:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

PringleCreamEgg posted:

This arc is still far better than Fishman Island. Even if cool Usopp poo poo hadn’t happened it would still be far better than that. Fishman Island is absolutely the low-point of the series for me.

Fish man Island (and drum island) commit the sim of having a flashback that’s more interesting than the main story

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
fishman island is so good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fishman Island has its moments but the New Fishman Pirates were scrubs because Oda didn’t want to undermine the timeskip power ups and Sanji spent the entire arc being the most annoying person on the planet

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Fishman is absolutely the nadir of the series for me. No contest

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Fishman island also had jinbei join the crew then leave the crew for 300 or whatever chapters and that sucked a lot

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I think about the fishman arc a lot based only on this video: https://youtu.be/jawMvCuWJX0?si=hsbgJtfrGvpUtw_Y

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Fish man Island (and drum island) commit the sim of having a flashback that’s more interesting than the main story

It was a really, really good flashback though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FI was ok enough but it’s followed by easily the worst arc in the series so it comes off a bit better to me.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Fishman Island also had the terrible luck to be right after an incredibly hype midpoint of the series into a historically long break and anticipation of all the new crew designs.

Anyways I know Chopper's old hat is just under a hood or something in his new design but it's always kind of bugged me that he would gently caress with Hiriluk's hat. It would be like Luffy coming back with feathers in his cap (and perhaps insisting on macaroni)

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

No way is Fishman Island worse than Punk Hazard. Nooo waaay.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yeah, everyone who thinks FI is worse than Punk Hazard are out of their minds

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how could you dislike the arc that began the long saga of Caesar Clown getting owned?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Yeti Cool Bros > Sanji bleeding to death because he saw a mermaid

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
there are things to like in both Fishman Island and Punk Hazard but they were off the back of the hypest fights at that time in the series. it was impossible to hit that high again so quick

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Asuron posted:

It was a really, really good flashback though
Yeah, the entire flashback with Fisher Tiger was extremely good and unusually nuanced for One Piece. I think the arc was mostly let down by having a very lame villain group that nevertheless sucked up a lot of the narrative oxygen. I wonder if it would've been better if it had been more like Zou and just avoided having a traditional showdown altogether.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In defense of Drum Island, every second that Dr Kureha is onscreen is gold.
Also I really liked Luffy climbing the mountain to save Nami

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Just remembered that Wapol is one of the only people alive that has seen Imu lol

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think an arc defined by an amazing flashback... is a good arc.

Someone in this conversation mentioned that Drum had a similar issue because it was outshone by the flashback. Of course! The arc was just a vehicle for that flashback!

Same with Fishman Island. The arc exists, at its best, to drive home the flashback. (It also exists to show off post-timekip Strawhats which is... considerably less timelessly appealing.)

That said Punk Hazard owned in a lot of ways. It was the last time we just had the Strawhats all goofing around and I love and miss that. Sanji even got character growth unrelated to his gag!

In short, One Piece is good.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Drum Island's flashback mid gum gum bullet is one Oda's best uses of the flashback in one piece.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hody and his gang being a bunch of upjumped losers who represent the endgame of prejudice - kids who hate others for no other reason than they were raised to - owns a lot and Hody going Super Shark and still doing nothing to Luffy also owns.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ragnarokette posted:

Anyways I know Chopper's old hat is just under a hood or something in his new design but it's always kind of bugged me that he would gently caress with Hiriluk's hat. It would be like Luffy coming back with feathers in his cap (and perhaps insisting on macaroni)

I always saw it as a protective bonnet so the hat has less chance of getting dirty or damaged.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The main problem with Fishman Island is that a focal point of the plot is two dudes being creepy as gently caress. Sanji's tiresome nosebleeds might not have been as bad if we weren't also dealing with a pedo-stalker subplot. Then we add in a twist of homophobia with blood transfusions for no reason.

Cut out Vanderdecken and have Sanji take a nap for the whole arc and the whole thing is vastly improved.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like Hody Jones thematically but he never felt like a very credible threat. The giant boat dropped by a pedophile did more damage to Luffy than Hody did.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

punk hazard was also, or at least felt, way way shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

mikeycp posted:

punk hazard was also, or at least felt, way way shorter.

It was only five chapters shorter, but I agree. Some parts of Fishman Island really dragged, while Punk Hazard kept the momentum up.