Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Char posted:

(like, Sukuna being shown his mummy, dressed as a buddhist monk who has undergone a process of live self mummification in order to get out of the Samsara circle, states: "It's ironic". What is that supposed to mean?).

The buddhist process to enlightenment - abandoning earthly desires - is a diametrically opposite philosophy to Sukuna's monstrous self-indulgence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I came around on Kenjaku because he actually stopped having a solution for everything in his back pocket and got outplayed.

My only real issue with the series thusfar is that the Culling Game kinda didn't move the ball down the court very far as long as it went on.

Remember when the US Military showed up for some reason? I don't. I also forgot the helicopter head guy- remember him? Remember the sky sorcerer lady? I thought she lived? I can't remember. Didn't Hikari have some girl sorcerer with a star-related technique with him? Bits and pieces of this maybe developed or established what some characters could do but none of it stuck with me. Like some of these characters could've been sitting around in the background during the big pre-battle council meeting but you could've fooled me.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Yeah, I know it's because Sujuna is a parallel to Mara.
But I don't think these themes really work as they should with a readership unaware of what a bodhisattva is.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It feels safe to me to say that the biggest issue with JJK post shibuya is that Gege removed from the story characters readers were attached to and filled them with a lot of characters no one really has any attachment to. Regardless of the quality of the mechanics or plotting or scripting of the story, it was always going to be worse to the reader than it could have been without the folks we grew attached to and wanted to see involved in the story. The other pieces making that ever more noticeable just cranks that up to me. He made big sweeping changes to the cast for "consequences" and it did not pay off.

I agree with fabricated, can't remember 90% of the folks who were introduced over the last year and don't care which makes me less interested in the outcome because the only dude left that I have much real attachment to is Yuji who has been a side character for most of the last year of chapters.

Im not as negative as some since I'll enjoy the ride more or less even if I think it's less than I wanted it to be. MHA that's been brough up a lot, and I find it very blah cause its the most beige generic piece of shounen in years, but its not offensively bad so I keep reading along. JJK is better than that, but I'm basically in the sunk cost fallacy point for the story, I don't see any really satisfying outcome on the horizon, but i'll see where it ends up anyway. Pew pew cool magic sorcerers!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Char posted:

Yeah, I know it's because Sujuna is a parallel to Mara.
But I don't think these themes really work as they should with a readership unaware of what a bodhisattva is.

I'm not sure that is necessarily a super obscure thing, particularly if you actually read/watch Japanese stuff where the concept comes up regularly.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I understand the mirrors and still don't really care about it anyway. Pointing out religious significance/referencing is supposed to enhance the base of a story, not be the core and seeing people try to sell it as the core quality rubs me the wrong way.

Stuff like Sukuna being actually prayed to by farmers and having festivals dedicated to him as a mirror of the actual historical deity is cool as hell and I'm interested in more stuff like that personally.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ChaseSP posted:

I understand the mirrors and still don't really care about it anyway. Pointing out religious significance/referencing is supposed to enhance the base of a story, not be the core and seeing people try to sell it as the core quality rubs me the wrong way.

Stuff like Sukuna being actually prayed to by farmers and having festivals dedicated to him as a mirror of the actual historical deity is cool as hell and I'm interested in more stuff like that personally.
The thing about Sukuna in JJK vs the Japanese Diety is that Sukuna the deity was truly "two-faced"- in that he had a wrathful face and a benevolent one. You don't really see the latter unless you're counting him just letting anyone live ever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
As someone newer to the series was Megumi popular? He has always been the most confusing character in the series to me. We're told over and over about how great he is and how important he is to everyone but I never understood it. Whereas we meet Yuta and it's immediately clear how awesome he is in basically every way.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure that is necessarily a super obscure thing, particularly if you actually read/watch Japanese stuff where the concept comes up regularly.

I think it's more obscure than it seems, JJK has a pretty farther outreach than the usual IMHO.

ChaseSP posted:

My point is that it makes following the story more obscure, not less obscure, and its obscurity is something that contributes to the mixed feelings. It is not the core, it enhances the base of the core because it helps explain, for instance, what's the role Gojo had in this story.

No Wave posted:

As someone newer to the series was Megumi popular? He has always been the most confusing character in the series to me. We're told over and over about how great he is and how important he is to everyone but I never understood it. Whereas we meet Yuta and it's immediately clear how awesome he is in basically every way.

You know the popularity contests they do every year, right? You sometimes see a page splashed here and there with the rankings.
He's been top 1-2 consistently, even above Gojo.

Char fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 2, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Megumi is JJK's best girl.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

I came around on Kenjaku because he actually stopped having a solution for everything in his back pocket and got outplayed.

My only real issue with the series thusfar is that the Culling Game kinda didn't move the ball down the court very far as long as it went on.

Remember when the US Military showed up for some reason? I don't. I also forgot the helicopter head guy- remember him? Remember the sky sorcerer lady? I thought she lived? I can't remember. Didn't Hikari have some girl sorcerer with a star-related technique with him? Bits and pieces of this maybe developed or established what some characters could do but none of it stuck with me. Like some of these characters could've been sitting around in the background during the big pre-battle council meeting but you could've fooled me.

yeh ultimately I think Culling Games needed to either be half or double the length. at half length you'd skip more of the side fights and get to the ending pronto and the games are just a background thing. at double you get to explore the zones more and see growth for the side characters to become attached to. Angel lady's relationship to Megumi felt mad shoehorned in

it feels like we were going for the later but the editors said our ratings dropping. hurry it the gently caress up

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, and Gege started dying in a manner similar to Horikoshi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Angel really feels like she should have been introduced earlier than she was.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Angel really feels like a joke

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Angel is important because it gave us this panel which is the funniest panel in JJK

Char
Jan 5, 2013

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

yeh ultimately I think Culling Games needed to either be half or double the length. at half length you'd skip more of the side fights and get to the ending pronto and the games are just a background thing. at double you get to explore the zones more and see growth for the side characters to become attached to. Angel lady's relationship to Megumi felt mad shoehorned in

it feels like we were going for the later but the editors said our ratings dropping. hurry it the gently caress up

Agreed with this.
When we saw Kenjaku speaking to the Chinese government, it felt like a lot of wheels were starting to turn at the same time.
Then we had Maki's hyperbolic sumo in the span of one chapter.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

Well, and Gege started dying in a manner similar to Horikoshi.

I kinda caught this but is there more info on what's going on?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Just typical weekly jump mangaka burnout. Gege took a month off, and still missed a week here and there, turned in the odd short chapter, including turning in a couple sketch-only chapters over the last year or two.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I dont know specifically what health stuff ailed him but JJK had some delays due to "author health" plus a few chapters that were basically chickenscratch. Work load caught up to him for sure.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Gege needed to take a substantial break due to poor health.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/anime/news-jujutsu-kaisen-manga-enters-hiatus-due-author-s-poor-health

This is probably a good thing? Lots of famous mangaka seem to burn out, meeting a weekly publishing schedule on something as popular as this is probably insanely stressful. Especially now that the market is insanely international, with constant leaks and feedback online.

I think a lot about how hard it is to make just one good creative product. So many amazing musicians and artists never have more than one real commercial hit. Maintaining a high level of production for years at this scale is debilitating I imagine.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm talking about the real JJK that had clearly always been intended to be lead-up (and follow-up) to the Shibuya Incident, vs the imagined JJK that was a low stakes magic battle school story until out of the left field the author decided to go chop chop for cheap thrills. This might seem coming from the ancient past of two years ago since this thread is naturally much more concerned with ongoing manga events, but it was discourse driven by the same kind of reading of the material, and recently revived for the anime thread.

I've already voiced my own criticism on the Culling Game's pacing and Gege improperly following up on plot threads - what I'm saying is that JJK has always known what it's been about, and it's all of this, which is why when it looks like Gojo's got it clinched I can got :hmmyes: when his defeat comes so suddenly it's portrayed as a hard cut to his final passing thoughts, while we got half a dozen people here going "wait what just happened did gege forget a page i'm so checked out this sucks where's nobara"
I'm not going to pretend to know what JJK is supposed to be about but there's a very good argument that Gege has allowed the story to get away from them as things progressed and that's one of the causes for the current writing problems. I also think you are way to forgiving of stuff if you think Sukuna winning the way he did wasn't just poorly executed. It basically amounts to the reader having to accept that "Sukuna has to win or the plot is resolved" and make assumptions about why Gojo never reacted to an attack that subsequently has been shown to be accompanied by finger pointing and possibly a chant. If the story wanted to put presentation over logic that's fine but it's a bad call in a fight that revolved around minutia and massive flexing of techniques and skill. And a bad fit for a story where that kind of outcome isn't typical and I can't think of a previous fight that just ended with such a huge question mark. No, I'm never going to let it go

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In hindsight, giving us four panels of gojo blocking the supposed slash, looking confused, then shocked, THEN :goku: doesn't seem like too much to ask for

Opening in the gaddang airport? Buddy, I hate airports. Manga sucks now.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

In hindsight, giving us four panels of gojo blocking the supposed slash, looking confused, then shocked, THEN :goku: doesn't seem like too much to ask for

Opening in the gaddang airport? Buddy, I hate airports. Manga sucks now.

wasn't there a change to the Angel fight post release? I could see some minor edits for the tankobon

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The lesson of JJK is don't do weekly manga

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

people often want big systemic thread/site culture explanations for why discourse or fan reception is different in different places and it's (understandably) tempting to look for an answer for it in the things people say, but the truth is that people tend to like things or dislike things before they form their opinions. the best you can usually say is that people tend to like things they think are executed well and dislike things they think are executed poorly, and their evaluation of each element of a work is usually interconnected with other elements.

gojo's death is a great example of it because there's lots of reasons to think it was executed well and lots of reasons to think it wasn't, all of which connect closely to other parts of the manga (and how you evaluate them). every commenter is just going to have a subset of those reasons that matter to them the most that inform their ultimate opinion, and they will only rarely be aware of all the opinions that hold and how they relate to each other, so trying to divine meaning or a rule about what people do or don't like from the face of posts alone will always be an arduous endeavor. anyways all this is part of why gojo is an unenlightened moron who died, because effortless or even only moderately difficult understanding is a fake idea.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Think the manga’s been on a pretty good run recently tbh. Conclusion of Gojo v Sukuna was bad but fight was mostly cool and since then it’s all been some good stuff.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Except the airport

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Think the manga’s been on a pretty good run recently tbh. Conclusion of Gojo v Sukuna was bad but fight was mostly cool and since then it’s all been some good stuff.

It picked up for sure compared to the back to back disappointments of Angel's Host, Bug Lady, and Yuki all being disappointing. That fight ending was not the worst thing in the manga and Takaba's fight with Kenjaku built back up a fair amount of good will. A spiritual variety show was honestly not anything I could have expected but ultimately enjoyed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

wasn't there a change to the Angel fight post release? I could see some minor edits for the tankobon

There were pretty substantial changes poo poo was basically redrawn

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I do wanna ask, as memory is foggy. Does Sakuna have *all* the fingers?

Talking about this being the final battle and all and sure I'd buy it but I could also buy him loving off to get his last digits or something and having a completely different ending arc on some random demon island or something

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Scallop Eyes posted:

JJK and MHA especially are in their final arcs, which for a weekly shonen manga means having to resolve the arcs of literally everybody in the manga that didn't finish theirs in time, completely ignore other characters, have to deal with the final boss that's been hyped up for hundreds of chapters (that may not have an actual way of being defeated thought out in advance) and most important, the authors loving dying from overwork.

Also like, broadly speaking; being in the same arc (and in some cases literally the same fight) for over a year can just burn people the gently caress out on a story. A lot of that stuff reads a lot better when you read it through without the week by week update but boy howdy does several straight months of "And then this character attacked and did nothing, and then this character attacked and did nothing, and then this character attacked and died." really just kind of suck sometimes. Even in the one piece thread there were a few people getting tired of Wano by the end, and especially during the dressarosa arc there were people absolutely ready for that to end.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I do wanna ask, as memory is foggy. Does Sakuna have *all* the fingers?

Talking about this being the final battle and all and sure I'd buy it but I could also buy him loving off to get his last digits or something and having a completely different ending arc on some random demon island or something

The fingers is one of those funny things where it felt like it'd be the long running background thread and then instead it was like nah have yuji eat like 14 of them right nyaow. I think Sukuna has 19 and theres 1 left or something. He ate his mummified remains to replace the missing finger (which gojo had or something?)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sukuna theorises that Gojo has the last finger just before their fight since no one seems to be able to find it. Sukuna thinks Gojo just held on one indefinitely so that the JJK society can never complete their plan of kill of Itadori once all fingers are consumed.

That's the currently in canon theory of course. I know that obviously Gojo gave the last finger to Nobara, and when all hope is lost, she smashes that finger with a nail and turns the tides for the final battle, marking her return to the fray via Todo teleport.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Also Mega Man will be there

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I suspect the missing finger is one of those plot threads that were dropped when Gege decided to end the manga relatively soon

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sukuna is missing one finger, and assumes Gojo had it hidden as a fallback plan to indefinitely postpone Yuji's execution if necessary.

This *could* be the finger the Hasaba sisters alluded to, but speculation is as far as we've got.

Getting to eat his mummified remains is likely not a true replacement for the missing finger, but Sukuna deemed it good enough to feel in tip top shape for the fight.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

No Wave posted:

I think the IRL popularity is just the Sasuke effect.

In universe it's mostly that his technique is nuts but he has no idea how to use it properly, so they're constantly talking about his potential rather than his actual abilities. Presumably there's a level of Ten Shadows above even what Sukuna has reached that would have allowed it to match up against Limitless/Six Eyes on its own (without cleave/dismantle and malevolent shrine).

He's also kind of crazy and I think Gojo and Sukuna both recognized a kindred spirit in that regard so they both took interest.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Brought To You By posted:

make assumptions about why Gojo never reacted to an attack that subsequently has been shown to be accompanied by finger pointing and possibly a chant

i've got my complaints on how that fight ended for sure, but this part never really bothered me much? gojo was characterized as pretty cocky, and infinity has blocked the attack. he probably should have paid more attention to whatever happened with the one mahoraga slash that hit him, but he didn't and now he's dead

i don't think the manga has to explicitly narrate that aspect of the conclusion, even if opening in the airport was dumb

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How would Sukuna, the greatest and best sorcerer to have ever existed, not have reached the pinnacle of the Ten Shadows' technique?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Judging from the last few chapters, it seems Gojo just let Sukuna fully recite his dismantle incantation and then also decided to tank it? No wonder we skipped straight to the airport