Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
it had kinemon and momo, it had a dragon. it had clown man. it set up a ton of things.

not my favorite by any metric, but solid arc imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t really think there’s much wrong with Punk Hazard tbqh besides Zoro and Tashigi’s battle being kinda rear end. It had Law being awesome. It introduced Kinemon. It had good character moments for Nami and Chopper. And it had the gang kidnapping a war criminal

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Drum Island is going to own in OPLA because of Jamie Lee Curtis

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Augus posted:

I like Hody Jones thematically but he never felt like a very credible threat. The giant boat dropped by a pedophile did more damage to Luffy than Hody did.
I feel like that’s very much intentional given that Zoro comes close to beating him in an underwater 1v1 like halfway through the arc. It’s an idea that continues into Punk Hazard with Luffy one-shotting Caesar and Zoro defeating someone through a purely hypothetical display of power.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Augus posted:

I like Hody Jones thematically but he never felt like a very credible threat. The giant boat dropped by a pedophile did more damage to Luffy than Hody did.

he was a credible ideological threat, which was new to the straw hats

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The biggest weak point of Punk Hazard was the running-from-the-gas stuff, which felt like padding (especially since in the end people get hit by the gas but aren't actually permanently harmed by it). Oda does similar things with cutaways ticking-bomb plot devices in other arcs, though (Deathpeia and Bird Cage were way worse).

And yes, Zoro and Tashigi vs. Monet was underwhelming. It could have been interesting with a slightly different contextualization, though. Maybe Tashigi assumes Zoro is refusing to cut Monet because she's a woman, but it turns out Zoro is imitating Mihawk's training methods and wants to force Tashigi to get stronger by fighting Monet herself?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 3, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The worst thing about Punk Hazard was that every fight sucked and made everyone involved seem way less cool than before it. Luffy v Caesar might have been fine but I don’t remember anything about it.

Had a couple good jokes though I think, and introduced some guys that would be more fun in later arcs.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Hody's pre-steroid design is one of the worst in OP.

Stupid hat with a cute little curl dangling down? Check. Big beer belly? Check. Skipped leg day? Check. I'd look in a mirror if I wanted to see a fat, uncoordinated slob.

gently caress Hody.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Fishman Island is way more interesting visually than Punk Hazard as well. Which for the majority of the run is either in snow or in a lab.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

luchadornado posted:

Stupid hat with a cute little curl dangling down? Check. Big beer belly? Check. Skipped leg day? Check. I'd look in a mirror if I wanted to see a fat, uncoordinated slob.

Holy poo poo :lmao:

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I'm excited to see how much more poo poo can hit the fan now that we are back to the present at Egghead. These are the additional players that come to mind:

- The giant robot that loves the Nika drum beat
- The mystery Blackbeard ship floating around. (I'm hoping somehow Moria & Perona are involved with that since they were looking to escape during the Garp dust-up)
- Big News Morgan w/ Vivi & Wapol
- The last we saw of Miss Buckin & Marco, she was saying Vegapunk was the one that could prove Weevil's lineage
- Akainu and his desk

I love how big and interconnected the world is. Some of my favorite chapters used to be inbetween arcs when we would get glimpses of what non-strawhats were up to. Now it's almost every other chapter.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

luchadornado posted:

Yes exactly. Pretty sure he's based on this guy

Who is basically the patron saint of lovely boomer rock for guys with beer guts.

I also think it's funny that he and his gang are almost literally just "Arlong on steroids" to show how much stronger the crew got during the timeskip.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Havoc904 posted:

I'm excited to see how much more poo poo can hit the fan now that we are back to the present at Egghead. These are the additional players that come to mind:

- The giant robot that loves the Nika drum beat
- The mystery Blackbeard ship floating around. (I'm hoping somehow Moria & Perona are involved with that since they were looking to escape during the Garp dust-up)
- Big News Morgan w/ Vivi & Wapol
- The last we saw of Miss Buckin & Marco, she was saying Vegapunk was the one that could prove Weevil's lineage
- Akainu and his desk

I love how big and interconnected the world is. Some of my favorite chapters used to be inbetween arcs when we would get glimpses of what non-strawhats were up to. Now it's almost every other chapter.

I’m waiting for Marco’s new plot use. It’s fun seeing him sort of enjoy retirement.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hody's actually a weirdly-fat Michael Jackson (the parts of Michael Jackson Jango didn't get), he even has the jerry curl and hosed-up looking nose.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea I was gonna say, he doesn’t really look anything like the AC/DC guy except for a vaguely similar hat, but they aren’t that similar. Also even if you think they are lame dad rock, I don’t think thematically that has anything to do with Hody’s deal (unless you just mean his design annoys you for reminding you of lame dad rock)

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Nah I wasn't being that serious about the thematics of it, though "lol boomers are racist" might fit?

I can see the MJ face and curls, but the hat, poofy part of the hair, and vest really scream Brian Johnson to me. Seems like it's more pronounced in the flashback.

Gonna just say he's a mix of both.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Roided up hat-less Hody looks infinitely more awesome.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just noticed Hody Jones has leg hair despite being a fishman for the first time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hody Jones has head hair despite being a fishman

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So did Arlong and like half his guys though.

I like how Great White Hodi up there is just growing spikes out of one wrist

Caidin fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 3, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I actually like pre-roided up Hody more specifically because he just likes a loser and it better sells the like, angry racist loser poo poo before he turns into a drugged up supremacist superman or whatever. Basically I would have been fine if that entire arc didn't have the big final fight like it did and just ended with them getting their poo poo kicked in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nuebot posted:

I actually like pre-roided up Hody more specifically because he just likes a loser and it better sells the like, angry racist loser poo poo before he turns into a drugged up supremacist superman or whatever. Basically I would have been fine if that entire arc didn't have the big final fight like it did and just ended with them getting their poo poo kicked in.

It was not actually making him a Superman just making him older.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I mean, they did. Hodi got one shot by Zoro and only survived because the guy was underwater and ran out of air. He got loving clowned on by Luffy and his last "fight" with him was basically him struggling to land cheap shots while Luffy was distracted trying to smash a boat the size of an island while underwater and in a soap bubble. Dude was being fed every possible advantage to a comical extent and barely realized.

Hell, Zeo spent his fight pretending he wasn't getting his rear end kicked.

"Come on, you got stabbed."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was not actually making him a Superman just making him older.

Was it? I thought the getting older thing was just a side effect of whatever enhancement the drugs gave. If so, he probably should have just waited and become a fish model or something.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's like great power at the cost of aging or some poo poo so you're both right.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This thread is disgusting and setting a horrible precedent.

Kids, don't do drugs. They will not make you cooler/older.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Heavy drug use can age you pretty quickly, depending. Just another way One Piece is both realistic and a cautionary tale.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Don't do drugs kids

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So did the New Fishman Pirates hit really old man stage and stop there or did they all age into dust before the Stawhats hit Punk Hazard

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Hey, so I know a popular opinion is that Caribou is working for Blackbeard... but that never really felt right to me. I was rereading his introduction and remembered how much of a religious zealot he is. I can't imagine him being loyal and subservient to someone unless they followed similar religious beliefs as him.

I bet his loyalties are to Mad Monk Urouge, and he's an absent (or aspiring) member of the Fallen Monk Pirates.

jassa fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 3, 2024

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Was it? I thought the getting older thing was just a side effect of whatever enhancement the drugs gave. If so, he probably should have just waited and become a fish model or something.

Hody heard the legend of a great royal treasure was superpowers, and hodi jones heard the secret treasure caused aging for his "child bride but ill make her 18 so its not weird" plan.

Then at the end it turned out both legends were true and the same thing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

jassa posted:

Hey, so I know a popular opinion is that Caribou is working for Blackbeard... but that never really felt right to me. I was rereading his introduction and remembered how much of a religious zealot he is. I can't imagine him being loyal and subservient to someone unless they followed similar religious beliefs as him.
I don't know that the theory is he's working for Blackbeard, just that he happened across a lot of incredible information about the Ancient Weapons and who else is he gonna sell it to?

But that said...

quote:

I bet his loyalties are to Mad Monk Urouge, and he's an absent (or aspiring) member of the Fallen Monk Pirates.
This would unironically be a fantastic way to bring Urouge back into the story.

Or, taking it a step further, considering Urogue is apparently a Birkan, he may have an interest in a certain divinity currently residing on the distant Fairy Vearth.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
If Weevil actually turns out to be Whitebeard’s son does that make his subplot interesting? Because as it is I do not give a poo poo about that dude.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think he was probably an attempt to clone Whitebeard, given that we know about another Rocks Pirate clone. But yeah he hasn't had much relevance yet.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, it’s kinda looking like he was an early attempt to make a Whitebeard clone that failed in some way superficially, and probably when it comes to his strength too considering how strong a nearly dying Whitebeard was. Really the most interesting thing about Weevil was the Stussy I reveal, which was decently interesting.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

jassa posted:

its really not clear who it is but he keeps accidentally learning all these ancient secrets and going "wow I can't wait to tell that man about this!" would really love to know what his deal is

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
One Piece could end in 7 years, never once going to the moon, and after the end people would still be talking about how the Straw Hats are definitely going to the moon, any day now guys!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The last panel will be Enel, looking around the moon and saying "well im bored now"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They may or may not be going to the moon (probably not) but the moon is definitely going to be relevant if such thrilling cover arc sagas as “Wapol’s rags to bitches story”, “Hatchan makes a new friend after escaping from jail, almost sells the friend for octopussy, and has a change of heart” and “Carabou poses as Che Goovera” made the “gonna be relevant later” cut.

…man, you ever think about how Luffy arm thrusted Wapol so hard he literally sent him flying to another island? He really must have been built different to survive that poo poo even if he’s not New World level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Last Celebration posted:

…man, you ever think about how Luffy arm thrusted Wapol so hard he literally sent him flying to another island? He really must have been built different to survive that poo poo even if he’s not New World level.

He's got that weird metal jaw thing going on, same as the marine from like chapter 2. I always wonder if that's just a thing Oda thought was cool or if there's some story there. Either way I feel like getting the Baron Underbeit operation implies a pretty hard dude. You either survive an injury that takes your jaw off or just do it for style points.