Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

PriorMarcus posted:

Spoilers from leaked plot details the cat is a God, and BDH writing around it has affected reality, making the events of her novels come true. Everyone mistakenly believes it's BDH to blame, but it turns out it's the cat. Also, it is in the Kingsman universe.
Oh lol, as soon as we saw the trailer my husband leaned over and said "I bet it's the cat. The cat is Argylle." He'll be delighted/annoyed.

Also all this discussion is the first time I've noticed it's spelled with two L's, and it's really throwing me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Whomst Greenlighted 2024: Please say you made that up

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'd like very much to make the John Wick Extended Universe a human being and beat the poo poo out of it in an okay but ultimately kind of forgettable neon soaked fight

I really like John Wick 1.
I thought John Wick 2 was OK.
I watched John Wick 3 and after that cancelled a planned trip friends and I had to go watch John Wick 4 in theaters.

Good lord they ran that poo poo into the ground so fast and completely.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That franchise movie schedule made take delve into what non-franchise stuff is coming out. And I found some interesting stuff. Like:
Obvious superhero schlock.
Indian Sci-Fi dystopia.
Red Sonja apparently coming out.
As is The Crow 2
RPat playing a clone.
I had missed that the Electric State movie comes out this year too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PriorMarcus posted:

Spoilers from leaked plot details the cat is a God, and BDH writing around it has affected reality, making the events of her novels come true. Everyone mistakenly believes it's BDH to blame, but it turns out it's the cat. Also, it is in the Kingsman universe.
lmao, that's even dumber than I thought

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

PriorMarcus posted:

Was gonna skip this but now I gotta see this glorious trainwreck.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Alan Wake did it first

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Please say you made that up

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
At least it’s not Eminem doing you in the butt like the comic ending of Wanted

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh lol, as soon as we saw the trailer my husband leaned over and said "I bet it's the cat. The cat is Argylle." He'll be delighted/annoyed.

Also all this discussion is the first time I've noticed it's spelled with two L's, and it's really throwing me for some reason.
Me and your husband are kindred spirits. They make it too obvious with that now meet the real Argylle teaser. I thought it would be psychic cat

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A plot that only a truly twisted mind could come up.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I watched John Wick 3 and after that cancelled a planned trip friends and I had to go watch John Wick 4 in theaters.

The movies are all about Keanu and Chad getting all their buddies to do sick action scenes, I think its crass to hate on the franchise because its a labor of love for the crew. They're perfectly over the top, well shot, scored, and choreographed. More movie universes should be like JW :colbert:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

1stGear posted:

A plot that only a truly twisted mind could come up.

https://twitter.com/kaiklops/status/1445461333432889344?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i still wonder if the person who made this tweet knew that this is literally Sam Raimi's first movie

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I bet your friends love making plans with you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jerkface posted:

The movies are all about Keanu and Chad getting all their buddies to do sick action scenes, I think its crass to hate on the franchise because its a labor of love for the crew. They're perfectly over the top, well shot, scored, and choreographed. More movie universes should be like JW :colbert:

Tiger Chen got robbed :colbert: He needs to return in 5 as a pirate who learned immortality through Tai Chi.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Everyone go watch Man of Tai Chi, btw.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PriorMarcus posted:

Fart

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
These kind of reactions to a spoilered plot point is actually making me want to go and see Argyle.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It sounds like Early Edition but now part of a pre-existing cinematic universe for reasons. Also now I want an Early Edition reboot

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Carpet posted:

These kind of reactions to a spoilered plot point is actually making me want to go and see Argyle.

Argylle, show some loving respect.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pirate Jet posted:

I bet your friends love making plans with you.
Ouch.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Argylle pulls off the mask. It's Arbuckle. Jon Arbuckle. Welcome to the Lasagnaverse

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Tars Tarkas posted:

Argylle pulls off the mask. It's Arbuckle. Jon Arbuckle. Welcome to the Lasagnaverse

Stealth "What Happened To Monday" prequel

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1742713864729313395

He's such a bad choice for this. Can this just go away like his Star Wars thing and American Akira?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1742713864729313395

He's such a bad choice for this. Can this just go away like his Star Wars thing and American Akira?

If it makes you feel better probably none of his twenty announced projects will ever happen.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Chairman Capone posted:

If it makes you feel better probably none of his twenty announced projects will ever happen.

didnt he just release a movie? He works and makes stuff so I think at least one of them will happen :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

For every movie he releases he's attached to like 20 other projects

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeahhh...I mean for me it's like, oh you got Donnie Yen...cool, I'd just rather watch an actual Donnie Yen movie 99% of the time. I get the narrative that this series is some kind of neon-soaked savior for American action film or whatever but I'm not stuck to watching American action films and there's still a billion Hong Kong action films I have to see.

It's like Hunger Games vis a vis Battle Royale. Oh wow I could see movies not as good as the Chinese action Renaissance but they're big fans and they got Keanu to just do Tom Cruise in Collateral forever.
I know I'm the grumpy contrarian here but there just ain't enough time for that two and a half hour plus poo poo when I could be watching some random Hong Kong film with "kung fu" in the title. I still haven't even seen every King Hu film or every movie with Sammo Hung action choreography, why would I waste my time with John Wick.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 4, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jerkface posted:

didnt he just release a movie? He works and makes stuff so I think at least one of them will happen :v:

And like no one liked it

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Imagine Chris Pratt attempting to pull a Tom Hardy, playing both Garfield and John.

Anyway, 2023 box office Top 10.

Wild to see what movies best the MCU this year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I see that and I say that all of the people screaming about the death of the MCU are getting way ahead of themselves

There's only one MCU movie coming out in 2024 (Deadpool 3), which I imagine is going to be a big hit

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Full River Red and Wandering Earth 2 made more than Little Mermaid and Mission Impossible but they did it outside the US so I guess they don't count towards that worldwide (?) total

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There is some choreography in the John Wick sequels that are mind boggling to comprehend, but they really excel more as works of craft than as stories. When my friends talk about which fight scenes we like best, Keanu vs Casual from the second film usually tops the list. It's not the most technically proficient, but it's one of the last before everyone's motivations become convoluted.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I guess I watched them all other than 2 and maybe 3 tbf. It's just that I'll randomly find something like SPL 1 and 2 on tubi and just be like drat why would I ever watch Keanu Reeves martial arts action films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxnNvFLdhFE&t=420s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ruXnuLtkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H-3NKj8yO8
Do I need Keanu Reeves and Refn-lite aesthetics when I can just get this poo poo straight from the source

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 4, 2024

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I have no idea what the story is at this point because they take like four paragraphs to say that Keanu made some deals with the devil for reasons and for some reason the most recent one is like two and a half hours long, but also they thought seriously how Donnie Yen would fight if he was blind and it's really cool.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Yen's stuff is great but it's just different enough that there's room for both. I've seen SPL, Flashpoint, Raging Fire, and the ip mans, but they just aren't as beautifully shot or located as the Wick movies are. I absolutely love the hall of mirrors at the end of 2, with CGI removing the cameraman, and I love huge portions of 4 with all the incredible locations and shooting techniques.

When I think of Donnie, the scenes that jump out are him fighting Wu Jing in a nondescript alley, or Collin Chou in a deserted building by a field.

The wicks really do have so much effort in the little things, it's not just showcasing Keanu. And he himself is a very good action performer, even if he's not at the same level as other guys.

Hell, for pure action Id rather watch Scott Adkins movies than Donnie:s, because Adkins dispenses with the plot as much as possible. But there's no reason to choose between them - just enjoy them all!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I will say my favorite thing about John Wick 4 were Keanu's "Joe Biden on barbituates" line deliveries. Tbf Donnie Yen doesn't sound like he has dementia and that's a major drawback. Pair that with Keanu falling down the stairs like Homer Simpson and there is some gold there but I'd rather watch Hardcore Henry any day.

"I'm going to kill you Mister Wick, you'll have nowhere to hide. I'll kill you."
"O-kay...well...maybe...I'll kill YOU..."
"You will understand the fury of the Table, Mister Wick. There will be justice whatever the dire consequences."
"...consequences..."

Tbf this is more of a value add than any Donnie Yen plot after 2000, buuuut I will say I thought JW4 was a shockingly ugly and not particularly creative movie and I don't think I'll get much support there. despite all the neon and ornate locations

I thought it was an enjoyable c+ and i feel bad for the two grandmas that fell asleep a few seats over from me while it was playing (honestly, damning).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 4, 2024

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I will say my favorite thing about John Wick 4 were Keanu's "Joe Biden on barbituates" line deliveries. Tbf Donnie Yen doesn't sound like he has dementia and that's a major drawback. Pair that with Keanu falling down the stairs like Homer Simpson and there is some gold there but I'd rather watch Hardcore Henry any day.

"I'm going to kill you Mister Wick, you'll have nowhere to hide. I'll kill you."
"O-kay...well...maybe...I'll kill YOU..."
"You will understand the fury of the Table, Mister Wick. There will be justice whatever the dire consequences."
"...consequences..."

Tbf this is more of a value add than any Donnie Yen plot after 2000, buuuut I will say I thought JW4 was a shockingly ugly and not particularly creative movie and I don't think I'll get much support there. despite all the neon and ornate locations

I thought it was an enjoyable c+ and i feel bad for the two grandmas that fell asleep a few seats over from me while it was playing (honestly, damning).

You're being pretty weird about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Captain Jesus posted:

You're being pretty weird about this.