Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Does anyone use any apps to keep track of their kitchen inventory? I'm looking for something I could access from both mine and my wife's phone (Android and iPhone). Tired of wondering if we have X spice or sauce and ending up with 3 bottles. Would like to be able to track what spices, sauces/condiments, and what all we have in our deep freeze. We just packaged a lot of meat and come spring are probably going to be splitting a cow with some neighbors, so it would be nice to have everything on my phone instead of the dry erase board next to the deep freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Does anyone use any apps to keep track of their kitchen inventory? I'm looking for something I could access from both mine and my wife's phone (Android and iPhone). Tired of wondering if we have X spice or sauce and ending up with 3 bottles. Would like to be able to track what spices, sauces/condiments, and what all we have in our deep freeze. We just packaged a lot of meat and come spring are probably going to be splitting a cow with some neighbors, so it would be nice to have everything on my phone instead of the dry erase board next to the deep freeze.

It’s always paprika

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bagheera posted:

Things I want to try:
1. Homemade flour.
It mechanically can make flour, but the major disadvantage of using a blender is the heat involved. You don't really get above body temp using a stone. You also have a more inconsistent sizing then a stone.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Lawnie posted:

It’s always paprika

Unless it's a simple spreadsheet on google drive

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bagheera posted:

1. Homemade flour. Apparently it will grind whole wheat berries into fine flour.
2. Soup. I'm wondering if I can blend canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, and veggie stock to get good tomato soup.

I've done soup as a side. My favorite soups do better with mallard reactions but if there's another star of the show then vitamix is great!

I did rice flour and oatmeal flour when my kids had no teef. Worked well for that.

I make snocones by dropping in one cube at a time. It dances on the blade, and the walls of the jug collect the snow. Seemed to get the finest texture that way vs. just dumping, tamping and stirring.

I've done hollandaise too but that's not vitamix specific

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

swickles posted:

Does anyone use any apps to keep track of their kitchen inventory?

We use Anylist for grocery shopping, and have a separate shared list for freezer meals. I like it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

Unless it's a simple spreadsheet on google drive

I've been doing it in Notion for years.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What’s a good bread that’s readily available at a super market now? I usually get Dave’s and Ezekiel.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

swickles posted:

I use paprika, it's pretty great. My wife uses it as well so means we can both edit the food plan/messages list for whoever is doing the shopping.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Anyone else briefly read that as Aramoro suggesting writing out messages in paprika?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BrianBoitano posted:

I've done soup as a side. My favorite soups do better with mallard reactions but if there's another star of the show then vitamix is great!

I was taught a very British way of making soup, which was basically boiling all the ingredients until soft, then blending. My life changed significantly for the better when I realised I could roast the ingredients instead.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Very simple dumb question. I love bread from my grocery stores bakery way more than lovely bread in the bread aisle but boy does it go moldy way faster.

Should I be putting my bread in the fridge? Is that a thing?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah but you’ll have to accept that you have to toast each slice before eating because it’s going to go stale in there.

Option 2: freeze it and thaw out each slice on the counter before you eat it, accept that each freeze thaw cycle is equivalent to sitting out on the counter for a day

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Kwolok posted:

Very simple dumb question. I love bread from my grocery stores bakery way more than lovely bread in the bread aisle but boy does it go moldy way faster.

I put mine in the freezer, with the caveat that I am generally toasting my bread, which you can do straight out of the freezer with no ill effects.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lmao

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Kwolok posted:

slice, bag, and freeze it

once I started freezing bread, I never looked back — keeps indefinitely, toasts well — keeps you from eating a loaf of freshly baked bread all at once

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I got a bee in my bonnet yesterday and made orange and cinnamon simple syrup with no actual plan in mind.

Suggestions on what to use it for? I thought an old fashioned might work, but maybe something with tequila?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Maybe one of the less strongly flavored gins?

Brighten up a bloody mary?

Just mix 1:1 with vodka?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Just mixing some syrup into a cold cup of water is pleasant too.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I got a bee in my bonnet yesterday and made orange and cinnamon simple syrup with no actual plan in mind.

Suggestions on what to use it for? I thought an old fashioned might work, but maybe something with tequila?

Rye old fashioned is my immediate thought.

Any plain black tea.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

obi_ant posted:

What’s a good bread that’s readily available at a super market now? I usually get Dave’s and Ezekiel.

If you are looking for decent general sandwich bread I'll sometimes go for Pepperidge Farm or Brownberry depending on what strikes my fancy. But my everyday, kid friendly, basic PB&J bread is the Sara Lee whole grain. It's not the pillow soft, sugary, tastes like nothing Wonderbread/Butternut/Generic Store brand, but is still on the soft side, and has something approaching flavor. All I believe are available nationally.

It sounds like you are more into multi-grain and less processed breads, which is great, but unfortunately I'm not super well versed in those.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Soak bread in the simple syrup and fry it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Our yeast has stopped working, so we bought some more, but it got me wondering: is there anything I can do with the old yeast? Can I just add it to things for some yeasty flavours?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

Our yeast has stopped working, so we bought some more, but it got me wondering: is there anything I can do with the old yeast? Can I just add it to things for some yeasty flavours?
Yeah, although inactive yeast tends to add a sort of mild nutty cheese flavour instead of the kind of yeasty flavour usually associated with baked goods.

It's also a pretty good dough conditioner, if you're in the market for such a thing.

The search term you want is "nutritional yeast" if you're looking for recipes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think you should probably heat the yeast to make sure it's 100% dead if you want to use it as nutritional yeast

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Non-nutritional yeast can definitely be used solely for umami flavor.

You can toast it and use it in dry seasoning blends.

A few weeks ago I made a batch of Cincinnati style chili with ⅓ cup of yeast.

A local potato chip company uses hickory smoked yeast on their signature barbecue chips.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Non-nutritional yeast can definitely be used solely for umami flavor.

You can toast it and use it in dry seasoning blends.

A few weeks ago I made a batch of Cincinnati style chili with ⅓ cup of yeast.

A local potato chip company uses hickory smoked yeast on their signature barbecue chips.

This is very appropriate as yeast is a diarrhetic

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What’s non nutritional yeast? Do you mean non fortified nutritional yeast?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I think they mean normal yeast for baking rather than nutritional yeast

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

This is very appropriate as yeast is a diarrhetic

Yeah well I'm still gonna eat all the fresh bread

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Steve Yun posted:

I mean regular yeast you would use for baking, active dry yeast, the kind Scientastic was asking for ways to use up.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 4, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Tis the season for hot chocolate :unsmith: just make your own from dark/semi chocolate, since simple syrup will be too much if you add it to premade hot chocolate mix

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Emphasis on the dark. Milk itself is plenty sweet for my tastes, I could only imagine a small touch of syrup on it if the chocolate is less than 70%.

Other ideas - seltzer + syrup + complementary bitters like orange or chocolate, small drizzle on tart Greek yogurt, whipped cream.

Here are some highly rated ones from the (wonderful, recommended to me by goons in the cocktail thread) Mixel app

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

So many tiki drinks this would work in. Jet pilot, nui nui, navy grog, etc.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Cast iron/carbon steel question:

Do I need to strip a pan with damaged seasoning before re-seasoning it? And when I say strip, I mean the whole lye/whatever method where you really just gently caress it up with chemicals.

I have a dutch oven that I've stupidly cooked acidic things in, and so now the seasoning is flaking and it's basically useless at the moment. (edit: this is the factory seasoning, I never intentionally re-seasoned it outside of normal cooking).

I ask because I'm going planning on getting a carbon steel wok soon, and I also have a cast iron griddle that has stuck on bits that I haven't been able to purge, so I'll probably have a "seasoning day" coming up soon where I'll re-season a few things at the same time (assuming it all fits in the oven...).

I'm hoping I can just get some steel wool or a dremel or something to scrape off the flaking bits. Don't particularly care so much about an uneven surface, but I don't want to go through the effort and then have it flake off some more.

Also somewhat separately: the lid for the dutch oven has rust on the inside of it (where the steam condenses, shockingly). Do I need to take steel wool to get rid of the rust before re-seasoning it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Steel wool will work for the light stuff. If it's not enough, a wire wheel attachment for your drill will do the trick. Wear safety goggles.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
and a mask, probably, right?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If I have an aluminum pan with a pizza in it, edge to edge, can I put it on the stove top to crisp the crust? I assume it's liable to warp but if my pans aren't precious and the pan is totally filled, might this work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I think I would get an oven rack as far down in your oven as possible then just crank the oven and let it cook for a few minutes. It should light up from the bottom. Sort of like a reverse broil. As long as the oven temp is set high it should be popping off down there to heat up. Unlike a broiler you won't be able to see your progress so be a lil conservative with it