Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
has a single character died from a punch in one piece

luffy decked a celestial dragon and even he didnt die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

ragnarokette posted:

He's got that weird metal jaw thing going on, same as the marine from like chapter 2. I always wonder if that's just a thing Oda thought was cool or if there's some story there. Either way I feel like getting the Baron Underbeit operation implies a pretty hard dude. You either survive an injury that takes your jaw off or just do it for style points.

Morgan just never brushed his teeth and got a really bad infection in his lower jaw.

And there was no milk around to fix it properly.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

anime was right posted:

Kaido is dead

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

hatty posted:

Kaido is dead

He died from lava not punches everyone knows punching is blunt damage and thus non-lethal

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

Thankfully Luffy uses rubber punches.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

how... did i forget this

copy
Jul 26, 2007

died with punch through the chest not of punch through the chest

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i did mean like just punched normally with a fist and no like, lava involved, but still

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Doesn't count Akainu appled a dot that did burning damage and that's what got him ace could have gotten better

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Akainu didnt kill him. The hole in his stomach and blood loss did.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Really, Luffy should be mad as hell at the concept of holes and blood. I know Zoro HATES blood.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
That wasn’t blood in Ace’s mouth, it was victory wine.

Also Ace’s death is IMO the saddest one in any shonen anime. His last words are brutal.

Merry Go’s death is actually a very close second, and that isn’t to downplay any other death. It’s just really sad. Plus that spat with Luffy is what made me start genuinely liking Usopp.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RuBisCO posted:

Doesn't count Akainu appled a dot that did burning damage and that's what got him ace could have gotten better

Akainu was close enough to his leylines (office) to fight at full strength

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Kind of incredible we haven't seen a Booze-Booze fruit yet. Or Cig-Cig one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Smoker.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Vasco Shot

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i JUST realized vasco shot -> basco shot -> toBASCO shot

and he canonically has the longest nose in one piece

seems weird that he might not fight usopp

i almost wonder if the strawhats might not fight their "best" opponent but instead their "worst" opponent. blackbeard is all about being underhanded. what if the BB pirates choose the natural counter to the most relevant strawhat, and the reason the strawhats win is because they know how their crew members operate. so someone has to fight van augur and the reason they win is because they have an immense about of trust and understanding in usopp, so they know how to counter the best sniper in the world.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 3, 2024

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

i almost wonder if the strawhats might not fight their "best" opponent but instead their "worst" opponent. blackbeard is all about being underhanded. what if the BB pirates choose the natural counter to the most relevant strawhat, and the reason the strawhats win is because they know how their crew members operate. so someone has to fight van augur and the reason they win is because they have an immense about of trust and understanding in usopp, so they know how to counter the best sniper in the world.
This would be cool but ever since we saw Van Augur snipe those seagulls in front of Usopp there’s almost no other fight card I’ve wanted more… I could see it maybe playing out like Enies Lobby where everyone gets the wrong matchup and they eventually worked out the right pairings. Usopp pulling a 10000000T hammer on Jesus would be fun

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There's a lot of fun gags to be had in a round of "wrong" match-ups. Like Van Auger being completely flummoxed when Franky goes INVINCIBLE, Zoro and Vasco Shot devolving into a drinking contest, etc.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Zoro just drinks Vasco shot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
up to punk hazard on my reread, liffy tells law he plans on fighting all the emperors. ive never been more certain of a davy back fight between the straw hats and the red hairs

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Give me Chopper vs Blackbeard so he can explain to us what's weird about his body that everyone else seems to realize.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

anime was right posted:

Ace died from a magma punch. :v:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
is the wax wax fruit a logia

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It isn't; Galdino can generate wax but doesn't turn into it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

scary ghost dog posted:

is the wax wax fruit a logia

No cause he can't turn into Wax just generate it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What is the timeline for our next chapter?

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

I feel like it’s been too long since we had a Smoker update. We last saw him at the end of Punk Hazard right? We have seen Tashigi with the gigantic kids a few times but no Smoker.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

His absence does seem strange given that he could easily have been with the Sword rescue mission or the Vice Admirals sieging Egghead. He has to be up to something else.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

His absence does seem strange given that he could easily have been with the Sword rescue mission or the Vice Admirals sieging Egghead. He has to be up to something else.

He’s not really in the marines proper anymore is he? I am curious about his activities in the G-5.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

anime was right posted:

That sort of happened in Enies Lobby with Sanji vs Kalifa, Nami vs Kumadori and Usopp vs Jabra.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

lol nevermind. Here I thought Vasco was just a lush, didn't realize he had been given a fruit already.

To be pedantic, there is a difference between a cig-cig fruit that lets you turn any part of your body into cigarettes and smoke itself.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

PuttyKnife posted:

He’s not really in the marines proper anymore is he? I am curious about his activities in the G-5.
afaik he’s still a Vice Admiral and commander of G-5. Last time we saw the base they were doing Vegapunk’s suggested rehab with the Punk Hazard kids, but Smoker was conspicuously absent. Definitely kinda weird that his last lines in the manga were “I’m gonna go talk to Vegapunk” and then he didn’t show up in the Vegapunk Arc

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

We literally just saw Smoker though (in the last chapter of the flashback).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Cat Machine posted:

afaik he’s still a Vice Admiral and commander of G-5. Last time we saw the base they were doing Vegapunk’s suggested rehab with the Punk Hazard kids, but Smoker was conspicuously absent. Definitely kinda weird that his last lines in the manga were “I’m gonna go talk to Vegapunk” and then he didn’t show up in the Vegapunk Arc

He's gonna show up, see the whole-rear end fleet + super beam weapon + the strawhats blasting off in a combined mecha and he'll make a funny face

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ragnarokette posted:

He's got that weird metal jaw thing going on, same as the marine from like chapter 2. I always wonder if that's just a thing Oda thought was cool or if there's some story there. Either way I feel like getting the Baron Underbeit operation implies a pretty hard dude. You either survive an injury that takes your jaw off or just do it for style points.

Morgan’s metal jaw is because he got it hosed up real bad while the Black Cat pirates raided the ship he was on while using him as the guy that “killed” Kuro via Django hypnotism.

Incidentally I guess I answered my own question; if you’re basically a cyborg because your fruit lets you assimilate everything you’ve ever eaten, that explains being able to be punched that hard.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Smoker's most recent big scenes were with Kuzan at Punk Hazard, and then reacting to Issho's apology to Dressrosa at the end of that arc. Kuzan spoke with him about how there are some things you can only see or accomplish when you're independent, and during the post-Dressrosa scene he was reflecting on how he couldn't have done what Issho did, even if he were an Admiral.

I hope he's taken Kuzan's words to heart and is taking some time to adventure independently (doing some soul-searching along the way), but it also wouldn't surprise me if he's conducting an off-the-books mission for Issho and/or Kuzan, something too secretive or sensitive for SWORD to get involved in.

Cat Machine posted:

I don't recall him saying that... which chapter is that from? Last we saw him was in ch 793, and they were only a few days away from Egghead at that point.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Last Celebration posted:

…man, you ever think about how Luffy arm thrusted Wapol so hard he literally sent him flying to another island? He really must have been built different to survive that poo poo even if he’s not New World level.

My headcanon is the average person in One Piece is extremely durable, and can take a ton of blunt force or concussive damage. Makes it so much easier to roll with all the non-deaths throughout the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

jassa posted:

My headcanon is the average person in One Piece is extremely durable, and can take a ton of blunt force or concussive damage. Makes it so much easier to roll with all the non-deaths throughout the series.

You only die when you give up on your dreams for good.