Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Lorcana: Under The CCG

This one for sure imo :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Framboise posted:

Lorcana: lol you thought this was gonna be cheaper than MTG

Eh, the most expensive non-Enchanted card is less than $60 USD on TCGPlayer. It's still less expensive than Standard staples, let alone Vintage/Legacy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Magnetic North posted:

I'm not a big Disney fan but here's my attempts:

Nthing this one.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Okay I got two games of Lorcana in, I imported a starter deck just to see what's what. Verdict is it's pretty fun, it'll be interesting to see what an expansion or two and the meta bastards really sitting down to try and break poo poo make of it.

Your experience will definitely be enhanced if the sentence "I was winning until the bastard just kept singing Be Prepared" is amusing to you. Because seriously, I was. Goddamn goose-stepping hyenas.

Lorcana: Goddamn goose-stepping hyenas

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
FLGS was full of Lorcana players this week. Like, almost the whole game room. I hope this is because it was better than people are saying. Based on what I overheard:

Lorcana: Stop bloody singing

Lorcana: Captain Hook is not a Princess

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Magnetic North posted:

This wins on account of getting the most votes and being funny.

CitizenKeen posted:

Maleficent's Home For Wayward Goons: The Lorcana Thread

Failson posted:

Lorcana: Goddamn goose-stepping hyenas

hyphz posted:

Lorcana: Stop bloody singing

Lorcana: Captain Hook is not a Princess
Honorable mentions.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If anyone is interested, US Nationals for FFTCG is going on now, being streamed here: https://twitch.tv/rvasnugsy

This is one of the few events where everything is BO3 and uses Two-Deck format, so you'll see a lot of different decks due to that.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
What is the advantage in making people have two completely different decks?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Volkova III posted:

What is the advantage in making people have two completely different decks?

Reduces variance and makes players demonstrate a wider range of skill. If you're running a deck that just gets 10-0'd by, say, Category 13 aggro, you'll appreciate the ability to pivot to something that checks it better in game two (while the winner of game 1 has the advantage of being able to pivot for game 3, if needed).

The game really doesn't do sideboarding, so this is the second best thing. Most events are BO1s so it's not as relevant, but Nats/Worlds use the two-deck format for the above reasons.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

I pulled two enchanted rares already but everyone is either too afraid to pay full price or completely unable to trade for two $200+ cards bc lack of availability

Which is bonkers on so many uncool levels

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Very delighted by the fact that three out of the four people who qualified for worlds are from my local scene.

I get my rear end beat by world-class talent! :toot:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

PleasantDirge posted:

I pulled two enchanted rares already but everyone is either too afraid to pay full price or completely unable to trade for two $200+ cards bc lack of availability

Which is bonkers on so many uncool levels

This is exactly the problem with these kinds of scarcity scenarios soon after games are launched: almost no one really benefits from them, even when they pull chase rares as in your case, and it just makes it harder to have fun actually playing!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

One nice thing I'll say about Lorcana, I don't think there's any actually bad cards. Sure there are cards that may be more ink chaff in your deck or niche use, but they aren't BAD, just that you have other cards that are more useful.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Randalor posted:

One nice thing I'll say about Lorcana, I don't think there's any actually bad cards. Sure there are cards that may be more ink chaff in your deck or niche use, but they aren't BAD, just that you have other cards that are more useful.

Just wait until they print some Home on the Range cards.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

slapping my custom alter br'er fox down to my opponents visible discomfort

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
has anyone played one piece and have opinions on it? it's growing around here pretty quickly, and seems to have a bit more sticking power than most anime cashin games

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

has anyone played one piece and have opinions on it? it's growing around here pretty quickly, and seems to have a bit more sticking power than most anime cashin games

It's fun, and aside from the alt arts the cards are super cheap to pick up as singles still

Events are weird in that they're BO1 and therefore have no side boarding or anything like that. It's very much a game about board control and efficient use of resources since the same resource that's used for playing cards can also be used to buff your various characters attacks

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kyrosiris posted:

If anyone is interested, US Nationals for FFTCG is going on now, being streamed here: https://twitch.tv/rvasnugsy

This is one of the few events where everything is BO3 and uses Two-Deck format, so you'll see a lot of different decks due to that.

Thanks for sharing this - it's fun to see the game operate so smoothly compared to the homeowner's insurance review I go through with friends trying to keep track of every mechanic and triggered ability.

Also love the two-deck format. More interesting to me than a side deck of "when encountering Strategy A, swap in these anti-A cards." Lots more metagaming and unforeseen opportunities (aka thinking on your feet).

Edit: As a big FF6 nerd, the matchup and playmats are geared toward my interests

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 12, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Apparently there is a new Battle Sprits Godzilla expansion.

Despite being able to read zero Kanji, boxes don't seem all that expensive, and I am tempted.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So I closed on a house a month ago and it didn't blow up my bank account nearly as much as I expected. Decided to jump out on a FFTCG 2022 Anniversary Box. Got it for $35 including shipping, which seemed fine. I'm going to stick to that for now and see how much I like it.

Also, I haven't played VTES in two months because of all the moving, unpacking, and prepping the new house for winter eating up all my time. I'm really looking forward to having a bit of free time again.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

So I got my FFTCG 2022 Anniversary box. I like how it's composed to give you an even split of each element, enough to build two, maybe three basic decks. I built a live-fast-die-hard Fire/Lightning deck that leans into pushed effects that inflict self-damage, and damage triggers. I also built a Wind/Ice control deck fronted by two versions of Zidane that have powerful card advantage triggers. I have only gotten a chance to test them against each other once so far, but even with this basic stuff to work from, the game had a good balance and momentum swings.

That said, what sets would people recommend if I were looking to expand the collection a bit? I'm a big FFVI dork, but VIII, IX, and XII are also extremely my poo poo. But beyond characters, what sets have had just straight-up good cards in them? I'm looking for good value so I can build maybe four decks for a curated, LCG type experience.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Realistically, that's kind of a hard question to answer, especially with the fact that anything pre-Opus 15 is going to be harder to come by as it was not printed in anywhere near enough volume.

Honestly, I'd almost suggest waiting for the Anniversary Box 2024 and just snag two of those (so you have full playsets of the 2x legends). It's gonna have some absurdly pricey staples like Al-Cid, 9CP Leviathan, Robel-Akbel, Amaterasu, and more.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
finally got my hands on some fftcg

goddamn these cards feel good

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

John Romero posted:

finally got my hands on some fftcg

goddamn these cards feel good

They're very... toothy? Like, they stick together more than MTG cards do when you're flipping through a stack. Once I got used to it it was fine, but it took a minute.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

They're very... toothy? Like, they stick together more than MTG cards do when you're flipping through a stack. Once I got used to it it was fine, but it took a minute.

This is true but good lord do individual cards feel good to touch.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Kyrosiris posted:

I would love a ready made fftcg community here in Rochester New York but every time I’ve gone to the anime store that says it has a tournament night, I meet with Lamp loving weebs who gatekeep knowing anything at all about anything that happens at the store.

So I gave up.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

PuttyKnife posted:

I would love a ready made fftcg community here in Rochester New York but every time I’ve gone to the anime store that says it has a tournament night, I meet with Lamp loving weebs who gatekeep knowing anything at all about anything that happens at the store.

So I gave up.

My local game store is like that. The owner is a toxic, miserly libertarian who treats the LGS as his personal club house. He's alienated wargamers, board gamers, tabletop RPG players, and every CCG player including MTG. The only reason he stays afloat is because he makes money online selling retro video games, and his uncle owns the building he's in. A real captain of industry, that one.

It's a shame because Maine has at least two great game stores, but one is an hour away and the other is 2+ hours away. :negative:

There's a new comic shop in my town that does Pokemon events. That's good for my daughter at least.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

PuttyKnife posted:

So I gave up.

I assume fftcg is too old for Millenium or Just Game to be doing any tournaments themselves? Glad to know I'm not the only one weirded out by Hammergirl Anime and not suprised that it's the uber weebs there. I am too chicken to attend of these stores' gaming events so I really don't know the character of them.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

I assume fftcg is too old for Millenium or Just Game to be doing any tournaments themselves? Glad to know I'm not the only one weirded out by Hammergirl Anime and not suprised that it's the uber weebs there. I am too chicken to attend of these stores' gaming events so I really don't know the character of them.

Those stores are sort of stuck on the predatory poo poo game stores have to carry, so WOTC stuff and GW stuff and their events match. There's a couple off brand things here and there but i've looked back at their event list for years and saw very little variance.

In the end, I guess i'll end up just giving up and playing Magic and D&D.

That said, I have a cube set up for nearly every game on the list in the op. I should prolly start running a Dead game / Hipster game meetup here at some point.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
drat I was hoping there was more to their events as I haven't looked back over their past ones too closely, shame. I guess you are stuck being the change you want to see. Do you have the excuse of being associated with RIT and can get traction with the nerds there, maybe?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

drat I was hoping there was more to their events as I haven't looked back over their past ones too closely, shame. I guess you are stuck being the change you want to see. Do you have the excuse of being associated with RIT and can get traction with the nerds there, maybe?

I work at RIT, so yeah. Sadly, the students here haven't heard of games outside of Magic the Gathering who has a designer named, "Wizards of the Coast." I tried to get them to play other Richard Garfield games and they said, "Who is that?"

So once I reassembled myself due to becoming dust, I swore to never talk to them again.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

PuttyKnife posted:

I work at RIT, so yeah. Sadly, the students here haven't heard of games outside of Magic the Gathering who has a designer named, "Wizards of the Coast." I tried to get them to play other Richard Garfield games and they said, "Who is that?"

So once I reassembled myself due to becoming dust, I swore to never talk to them again.

drat, that's brutal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PuttyKnife posted:

No surprise the anime store denizens turtle up when you walk in, that kind of contempt is usually pretty easy to read on someone.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i don’t know what you’re expecting going into an anime shop dude they’re probably cool once you get to know them. like if the spot im at doesn’t smell like bo and doesn’t have people openly wearing nazi poo poo im good

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Midjack posted:

No surprise the anime store denizens turtle up when you walk in, that kind of contempt is usually pretty easy to read on someone.

Man y’all assume some stupid poo poo. Here’s a play by play.

Walked in 3 times. First time I walked in, walked around, bought about 200 bux in various poo poo. Asked about fftcg and the clerk said they didn’t know about card games. Asked if they had any fftcg since the website states it and she said they didn’t. Walked out of the store with my poo poo, past the giant display behind the counter.

So that’s strike one. Innocuous. Folks maybe don’t know but I’m used to it.

Second time I walked in to get some packs. Clerk knew where they were and when I asked if they had any old opuses they said, “well, actually, they don’t do opuses anymore. You don’t know that?” “Yes, this is why I said old opuses.”

So I left without buying anything. Strike 2.

Third time I went in, they just laughed at me when I asked. “We don’t talk to those folks.”

So that was strike three.

I’ve been in hundreds of game stores. Some were amazing, others poo poo holes. This was the first time I ran into this level of poo poo.

It was stupid.

Let’s go back to talking about forgotten ccgs like xxxenophile.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
drat I love GoT v2 and I'm so sad no one plays it here in SD!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PuttyKnife posted:

1) Go here https://www.ccgtrader.net/games/xxxenophile-ccg/xxxenophile (very mildly NSFW)

2) Read through all the XXXenophile cards and have a good laugh.

3) You have now had 99% of the enjoyment that's to be had from XXXenophile.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

TGG posted:

drat I love GoT v2 and I'm so sad no one plays it here in SD!

Game of Thrones was really good, but they stopped giving a poo poo about balance by the end. I made the absolutely most vile Greyjoy/Night’s Watch deck that sapped my friend’s will to play the game and he refused to play against that deck because of how mean it was.

So then I made a Stark/Faith Militant deck that was evil as hell. I get Mya Stone into play ASAP. Her ability? Instead of battle or intrigue claim, apply crown claim. This could be bad, except the whole point of a Faith Militant deck is that I never, ever should have power of my own. I siphon it to all my characters. So all I have to do is let you win the challenge and it doesn’t even matter if you have 2 claim because I change it to a crown challenge and all you’ll get is the unopposed. Which, oops, screw’s you over because Now I just take your power and siphon it to my characters again. Now on the chance you’ve realized this is the case and put Put to the Sword in your deck, you better hope I haven’t been able to slap down the High Septon because now I can just shirk any ability to a character I don’t give a poo poo about.

Even building to specifically beat that deck it was a pain in the dick to deal with, cause it was all about stopping any kind of momentum.

Now we just play Marvel Champions and are much happier for it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

PuttyKnife posted:

It was stupid.

I'll back you up on this too, I called looking for a specific older manga, they said they didn't have any of it. Went in person a week later, there was two random volumes of it on the shelf, so they didn't even do a token look. Also needing to have the shop closed on mondays to do inventory is a bit weird, one would think you'd want to want to do that poo poo before or after business hours to maximize the time you are open to the public. I haven't gone back there in at least a couple of years.

But yes let's move on to weird old tcgs. Was that strange Tomb Raider one covered? I had a starter deck but got rid of it without even giving it a try. It seemed to kinda operate on that middle ground between tcg and card based board game. Also, have I asked about the Inuyasha tcg in here? I might have, I'm running into the end of my knowledge of weird cardboard crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Turbinosamente posted:

I'll back you up on this too, I called looking for a specific older manga, they said they didn't have any of it. Went in person a week later, there was two random volumes of it on the shelf, so they didn't even do a token look. Also needing to have the shop closed on mondays to do inventory is a bit weird, one would think you'd want to want to do that poo poo before or after business hours to maximize the time you are open to the public. I haven't gone back there in at least a couple of years.

But yes let's move on to weird old tcgs. Was that strange Tomb Raider one covered? I had a starter deck but got rid of it without even giving it a try. It seemed to kinda operate on that middle ground between tcg and card based board game. Also, have I asked about the Inuyasha tcg in here? I might have, I'm running into the end of my knowledge of weird cardboard crap.

the tomb raider one ruled because it could be played single player which was great because I constantly bought ccgs with no friends or siblings to play with.

the original digimon card game was great as was sailor moon. I think the sailor moon one was a carbon copy of Pokémon too. I used to play both after getting eliminated at Pokémon league nights