Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What is the timeline for our next chapter?

We technically already got this week's chapter, so the next chapter isn't until next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nuebot posted:

You only die when you give up on your dreams for good.

Or fall down a flight of stairs

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

I'm catching up on the last 10-ish episodes of the anime and drat, someone's been working on his neck game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Augus posted:

Or fall down a flight of stairs

She gave up on her dream of becoming the best swordsman because she realized she was a girl, remember?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Nuebot posted:

You only die when you give up on your dreams for good.

I like the idea that Wapol's dream is to never die.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

jassa posted:

My headcanon is the average person in One Piece is extremely durable, and can take a ton of blunt force or concussive damage. Makes it so much easier to roll with all the non-deaths throughout the series.

The only punches that actually hurt are ones of love, and that's why most of the fights aren't actually that lethal.

Gives some really weird implications to the ones that were lethal, though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Clearly we’ve been wrong about Akainu all this time. He’s filled with boundless love of all humanity, it’s just tough love.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

jassa posted:

My headcanon is the average person in One Piece is extremely durable, and can take a ton of blunt force or concussive damage. Makes it so much easier to roll with all the non-deaths throughout the series.

It's a cartoon yes

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

anime was right posted:

It's a cartoon yes

Excuse me, it's a manga not a cartoon.

Arist posted:

We technically already got this week's chapter, so the next chapter isn't until next week

Unfortunately we're probably looking at another two weeks before the scans of ch 1104 drop... https://claystage.com/one-piece-chapter-release-schedule-for-2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nuebot posted:

She gave up on her dream of becoming the best swordsman because she realized she was a girl, remember?

no she didn’t
she had doubts and then made a vow to keep pursuing her dream

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I think that when the Blackbeard vs strawhat fight occurs we will have Zoro and Tashigi fighting Shiryu, who will invisibly push Tashigi down the stairs but Zoro will catch her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tashigi asks why he bothered, since a minor thing like falling down the stairs wouldn't hurt at all!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Augus posted:

no she didn’t
she had doubts and then made a vow to keep pursuing her dream

Then why'd she die :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nuebot posted:

Then why'd she die :colbert:

consider the following
the gorosei represent the highest level of authority in the one piece universe. they embody stagnancy and the crushing of dreams through despair. Imu, who stands even above them, erases people based on a moment's judgement, suddenly and dispassionately. He sits on a throne that is meant to empty. And what is in front of that throne? That's right, a big-rear end set of stairs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
At this point I really and truly would not be surprised if the Elder Stars kicked Kuina down the stairs. Not because it served some master plan, but just because they’re that petty and meanspirited.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Franky will just build a better set of stairs that don't adhere to the laws of physics

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

jassa posted:

Unfortunately we're probably looking at another two weeks before the scans of ch 1104 drop... https://claystage.com/one-piece-chapter-release-schedule-for-2024

sickening

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
*whispering on repeat for three weeks straight* punch 'im, kuma

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

We literally just saw Smoker though (in the last chapter of the flashback).

This was the best part of the flashback imho. Whenever Smoker's not around, the other characters should be asking 'where's Smoker?', and finally Oda delivers.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Augus posted:

consider the following
the gorosei represent the highest level of authority in the one piece universe. they embody stagnancy and the crushing of dreams through despair. Imu, who stands even above them, erases people based on a moment's judgement, suddenly and dispassionately. He sits on a throne that is meant to empty. And what is in front of that throne? That's right, a big-rear end set of stairs.

Imu is Kuina. She faked her own death.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the most shocking twist this series could possibly present to me is that kuina’s death was not an accident

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Augus posted:

consider the following

Imu falls down the stairs, buggy finds the one piece: series is over in ten chapters.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

jassa posted:

A manga often has more grounded physics. I would say that this is a manga depicting a cartoon world.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dragonball is a manga set in the Dr. Slump world, where a super robot punched the world in half, serious my rear end.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

A manga often has more grounded physics. I would say that this is a manga depicting a cartoon world.

i would say that its a manga with a manga world and manga physics but the main character is a cartoon character who has cartoon physics and his MO for recruiting crewmates is successfully identifying other cartoon characters

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

scary ghost dog posted:

the most shocking twist this series could possibly present to me is that kuina’s death was not an accident

Jokes aside, yeah I tend to agree with you. Oda needed to fridge her, but didn't want to draw a child's death scene in his brand new pirate manga for kids. So he had it happen off-panel, not realising that would seem more suspicious to many of his older readers.

That said, he only has himself to blame for throwing more fuel on that fire with the whole Tashigi thing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Dragonball is a manga set in the Dr. Slump world, where a super robot punched the world in half, serious my rear end.
Fair, but I said "often" for a reason. If you said "manga physics," you wouldn't necessarily expect someone to survive a punch onto another island. There's a lot of variety and even some ridiculous ones have pretty grounded violence so it would depend on the type of manga. If you said "cartoon physics" you could be sure they'd survive.

jassa posted:

That said, he only has himself to blame for throwing more fuel on that fire with the whole Tashigi thing.
There's gotta still be a payoff for Tashigi, right? It's been literal decades and after quite a few Tashigi appearances we don't have a single hint at it being anything but kind of an odd coincidence to make Zoro kind of uncomfortable. I feel like there should be more to it than that.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Infinitum posted:

Franky will just build a better set of stairs that don't adhere to the laws of physics

would Franky use Milwaukee or Makita?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Eiba posted:

There's gotta still be a payoff for Tashigi, right? It's been literal decades and after quite a few Tashigi appearances we don't have a single hint at it being anything but kind of an odd coincidence to make Zoro kind of uncomfortable. I feel like there should be more to it than that.

It would be cool if there was, but like, Tashigi was losing to Monet, and not even losing because she’s a dumb person like Luffy that opened himself wide open for the L. there’s no chance she’ll get a payoff, she kinda got left in the dust when she saw Zoro not even really trying and went “what the gently caress…he did that without haki…how much training did they do to get this strong”. And then kind of later again when Koby did a huge flex and all he did was tirelessly train night and day.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Ryobi is the only brand with cola batteries

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Eiba posted:

Fair, but I said "often" for a reason. If you said "manga physics," you wouldn't necessarily expect someone to survive a punch onto another island. There's a lot of variety and even some ridiculous ones have pretty grounded violence so it would depend on the type of manga. If you said "cartoon physics" you could be sure they'd survive.

Like, I am kinda alright with Kuina dying because of the stairs, because sometimes people do just die tragically to accidents and their friends are left with only their absence. That’s a valid life experience and something more media should delve into, even in stories like one piece where there are people in the world who get hit by trains twice a week and walk it off.

On the other hand, this is ALL tied into the gender dynamics that they introduce with Zoro and Kuina, and seems to only ever come up again around Zoro. Like, yeah Sanji is weird about women, but that’s only ever portrayed as Sanji’s problem.

Meanwhile, every time Zoro runs into Tashigi, we revisit the notion that the ceiling for swordswomen doesn’t rise as high as the ceiling for swordsmen. Yet, it is left unresolved. And it isn’t like we haven’t met incredibly powerful swordswomen around. Or women in general.

Like, where the hell is Oda going with this?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eiba posted:

I wouldn't mind a Sabo style bout of amnesia, cured in the final arc. It would be kind of funny if Tashigi's extremely mid swordsmanship lead to her being kicked down some stairs and then reawakening at the bottom.

When she went down the stairs her dream was to collect swords, when she came back up her dream was to use them. Dream awoken she can finally fight at top level.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 4, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

i am tim! posted:

Like, I am kinda alright with Kuina dying because of the stairs, because sometimes people do just die tragically to accidents and their friends are left with only their absence. That’s a valid life experience and something more media should delve into, even in stories like one piece where there are people in the world who get hit by trains twice a week and walk it off.

On the other hand, this is ALL tied into the gender dynamics that they introduce with Zoro and Kuina, and seems to only ever come up again around Zoro. Like, yeah Sanji is weird about women, but that’s only ever portrayed as Sanji’s problem.

Meanwhile, every time Zoro runs into Tashigi, we revisit the notion that the ceiling for swordswomen doesn’t rise as high as the ceiling for swordsmen. Yet, it is left unresolved. And it isn’t like we haven’t met incredibly powerful swordswomen around. Or women in general.

zoro’s final opponent will be a woman who has shockingly powerful haki and also looks like kuina, and zoro will scoff and be like, “i knew you could do it”

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

It would be cool if there was, but like, Tashigi was losing to Monet, and not even losing because she’s a dumb person like Luffy that opened himself wide open for the L. there’s no chance she’ll get a payoff, she kinda got left in the dust when she saw Zoro not even really trying and went “what the gently caress…he did that without haki…how much training did they do to get this strong”. And then kind of later again when Koby did a huge flex and all he did was tirelessly train night and day.

Tirelessly train night and day under a top 5 from the last generation.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

i am tim! posted:

Linlin is a pretty strong swordswoman. With Napoleon but no other Soul Soul-derived powers, I think she would probably win against current Zoro.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tashigi as a psudo-rival for Zoro was likely never supposed to happen anyway. She lost to him immediately in Loguetown and it flat out wouldn't make sense for her to somehow catch up and then also keep pace with him as he was training like a drat madman and fighting incredibly tough opponents, much less when he studied directly under Mihawk.

Smoker's a little different, as he started out flat out being unaffected by Luffy thanks to his logia powers, but obviously Luffy has since rocketed way ahead since then.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Stuffguyman posted:

This was the best part of the flashback imho. Whenever Smoker's not around, the other characters should be asking 'where's Smoker?', and finally Oda delivers.

I remember waaaaay back when I thought Smoker was going to be this huge adversary Luffy was going to have to deal with regularly lol

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I imagine OPLA Season 2 will sprinkle him and Tashigi throughout like they did with Koby, Helmeppo, and Garp in the first season.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Smoker and Tashigi make sense as recurring threats because they actually do show up multiple times in the stuff Season 2 is likely to cover, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Urdnot Fire posted:

I imagine OPLA Season 2 will sprinkle him and Tashigi throughout like they did with Koby, Helmeppo, and Garp in the first season.

Maybe it'll do for Tashigi what it did for Nami and make her a bit more impressive combat wise.