Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Watched PWHL last night and it was good. I look forward to following that league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bard Maddox posted:

Middleton already fought Dillon after Dillon injured Kaprizov and Maroon fought Lowry at puck drop the next game. the score was “settled”. after that according to “the code” what’s the point of Hartman saying that he’s also cross checking a guy in the face for retaliation? almost seems like being a shitstirrer policing people with unwritten rules is part of the game and there’s not a lot of interest in legislating it out!

I appreciate that the only people whining about it in this thread are fans of other teams. I know that DoPS doesn't give a poo poo, and the refs aren't really going to do anything about it.

So I'm not going to fixate on it and instead be annoyed that they lost to Calgary on Tuesday while playing poorly again. And now Spurgeon is on IR again. I'm also annoyed that they're probably going to play well enough to be at the end of the playoff hopeful group for a couple weeks too many. Also there's not really any contracts they can move at the trade deadline. And they have $33m of players currently on IR along with the $14m of dead cap for about 55% of the cap not being used to play hockey games.

The D is being run by Jake Middleton and a 21 year old rookie in Brock Faber. The forwards are Boldy and Eriksson Ek. The rest are plugs and prospects, so that they're even close to within touching a wild card spot is absolutely hilarious this year. I just want to see MAF go above Patrick Roy in wins this month, because the rest is just not happening this year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bBns6ZUn0U

Happy anniversary to the funniest call of all time

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Oilers lost that game in a shootout anyway. That extra point gave them one more that the Blackhawks that season. The Blackhawks won the lottery and drafted Kane.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

*fall

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

What an absolute dweeb. Shocked he didn't call the Jets woke

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
USA-Finland 2-2 heading into the third. Gabe Perrault is getting me real excited. Rangers should not be allowed to pick in the top 10. We should get to trade back to pick later in the round. It's better for us:

https://twitter.com/IIHFHockey/status/1742999497540608433?s=20

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 4, 2024

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Pains me to say that Cutter Gauthier looks great. Him and thread favorite Rutger McGroarty just put the US up 3-2 doing the Zibanejad-Kreider short side:

https://twitter.com/MarcPDumont/status/1743012606833557895?s=20

and now a makeup call on Perrault. gently caress!!!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
good win for team USA. Was looking kinda dicey after that first period but after the first 20 minutes they just straight up dominated Finland. That game winning goal felt inevitable.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I don’t know why I always thought that was from a playoff game…

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

good win for team USA. Was looking kinda dicey after that first period but after the first 20 minutes they just straight up dominated Finland. That game winning goal felt inevitable.

Their power play looked really good at the end there. Great poise and discipline getting as close as possible with their chances.

Also, Zeev Buium had a shift where he seemed to McDavid style stickhandle through Finland's entire team. Whoever gets him is gonna get a steal, I think a lot of people have him middle-first round still despite leading all NCAA defensemen in points in his draft year lol.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Their power play looked really good at the end there. Great poise and discipline getting as close as possible with their chances.

Also, Zeev Buium had a shift where he seemed to McDavid style stickhandle through Finland's entire team. Whoever gets him is gonna get a steal, I think a lot of people have him middle-first round still despite leading all NCAA defensemen in points in his draft year lol.

Yea he seems good but I'm also not sure if he just looks good because the defense is kinda garbage this year. So much speed and talent on the roster overall but man these guys don't care about defending.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yea he seems good but I'm also not sure if he just looks good because the defense is kinda garbage this year. So much speed and talent on the roster overall but man these guys don't care about defending.

lol you're not wrong at all. there was one guy on the first penalty the US had in the third--I think it was either Casey or Hutson--that had one of the most egregious neutral zone hope-pinches I've ever seen, led to a 2-on-1 for Finland, the backchecking US forward had to take a penalty to stop it. i would have pulled some kind of Babcock if I was coaching and they did that at 2-2 in the third period of an elimination game.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

bad defense is like every WJC's ever until Canada decides to crack some heads in the finals and oops Canada forgot to get to the finals this year

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Levitate posted:

bad defense is like every WJC's ever until Canada decides to crack some heads in the finals and oops Canada forgot to get to the finals this year

That would be otherwise true, but Sweden didn't even give up a goal until their 4th game. Their D is also all Victor Hedman's size. So the US might pass and have speed, but they're not going to be getting into that low slot easily against Sweden. I could see it either being a 2-1 game or a 8-7 as Sweden has some good goal scoring too.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/canadiensmtl/status/1742942311388950794

Dvorak, also dead.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Tom Wilson has 19 points in 36 games and was selected as an all star.

This team blows.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:allears:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

he's gonna be the first player ever ejected from an all star game, isn't he

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Pains me to say that Cutter Gauthier looks great. Him and thread favorite Rutger McGroarty just put the US up 3-2 doing the Zibanejad-Kreider short side:

https://twitter.com/MarcPDumont/status/1743012606833557895?s=20

and now a makeup call on Perrault. gently caress!!!

Sounds like Gavin Brindley has also ripped poo poo up.

The thought of he and Fantilli being reunited... :circlefap:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

all-star refers to the cartoon stars around his victims' heads

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

~~Miss you Ray~~

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
3 metro teams are currently tied for the WC2 and the WC1/Metro 3 spot are 2 points further up than that. Carolina 2nd in the metro 46 is only 4 points from the mud wrestling. What a weird year.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Jack Johnson played a perfect game tonight.

https://twitter.com/hockeystatcards/status/1743118637274112355?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/DArm91/status/1743116373478330830?t=zMaolt0aFBHJKVfQrKH1sA&s=19

lol Bjorkstrand visibly upset he made the ASG

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
If I was an athlete, I would fake an injury every All-Star break. What an awful waste of time for the players.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr. Kite posted:

If I was an athlete, I would fake an injury every All-Star break. What an awful waste of time for the players.

That’s what Ovechkin usually does.

This year he came up with a better plan to just suck.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Del Zotto posted:

I tell this story all the time, I was spoiled. My first year was in New York playing for the Rangers and it was first class treatment. Every single day, anything that a player could think of has already been thought of numerous times and had been perfected by the organization. So just even the food we’d have after the game, a fantastic spread of food at home, which I think maybe two guys would go there and actually make the most of it, because you’re in New York City, you’re going out for dinner after.

And Ottawa, I remember after my first game, we had boxed quesadillas in a warming drawer. And I’m thinking, you’re spending the $80 million on your players, and we had a young team, so we had 20-21 year-olds, guys that probably have never stepped in the kitchen before to cook, and you’re in Ottawa where there’s not really restaurants that are open on a Tuesday-Wednesday, so you’re either eating these boxed quesadillas or you’re going to Taco Bell or McDonalds that are open late night. So just little things like that. They don’t give their players the best opportunities to succeed every night
https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/f...rganization/amp

Melnyk buying a couple chicken tortilla kits from Costco for post-game meals rules

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Just to be clear, I wouldn't be good enough to make the All-Star game. But I would still fake an injury... just in case.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Players should be able to opt out after a certain age and/or total appearances.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Or they could make the all-star game cool and fun so players don't hate being in it.

Cut out the one player per team nonsense, invite the league's genuine top 40 stars and put them all in one game together, and have them do the skills competitions too. We don't need to bring <player X> out from <openly tanking team> for a weekend because he can skate fast in a straight line, there will be plenty of fast skaters and good shooters among the league's best all-around players.

or just scrap the whole thing who cares :shrug:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The NHL and NBA should get rid of All-Star Weekend. Replace it with a down week for the entire league about 60 games into the season. Players rest up; heal some nagging injuries. Coaches can draw up some new plays. Fans get a break. Everyone comes back ready and rested for the stretch run.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 5, 2024

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/f...rganization/amp

Melnyk buying a couple chicken tortilla kits from Costco for post-game meals rules

Euge probably couldn't even afford meals, that was like 2021, I'm surprised he had money for the sisters to inherit. What a fun summer that was with of the Melnyk sisters importing water from Sweden for the ice and signing everyone to 8x8. then selling this dumb lovely sicko a team to some finance nerd or something for a billion dollars too much (and lol not telling him he doesn't have a 1st round draft pick)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

The stat monkey in the PR office was digging real deep for stats.

quote:

Wilson, a Toronto native, has recorded 19 points (11g, 8a) in 36 games this season. The 6’4”, 224-pound forward ranks first on Washington in hits (107) and penalties drawn (19), tied for first in games played and shorthanded goals (1), second in shots (103), tied for second in goals, power-play goals (3) and game-winning goals (2) and fourth in points. Among Capitals forwards, Wilson ranks third in ice time per game (18:31) and blocked shots (30), fourth in shorthanded ice time per game (1:42) and fifth in power play ice time per game (2:24). This season, the Capitals have a record of 7-1-1 when Wilson scores a goal and 10-3-2 when he records a point.

Wilson’s 107 hits this season are the seventh most in the NHL and he is one of two players with 10-plus goals and 100-plus hits (also Evander Kane: 14g, 116 hits). With 11 goals through 36 games Wilson is on pace for 25 goals, which would mark a new single-season career high (2021-22: 24g). On Nov. 30 at Anaheim, the 29-year-old recorded his first career hat trick (3g) in his 700th career game, becoming the second player in NHL history to score a hat trick in their 700th game (Phil Goyette: 3-0–3 on Oct. 20, 1968 w/ NYR vs. LAK).

Wilson represented the Capitals at the 2022 NHL All-Star Weekend in Vegas, where he helped the Metropolitan Division defeat the Pacific and Central Division teams to win the All-Star Game. Wilson scored a goal 13 seconds into the semifinal game against Team Pacific, setting the record for fastest goal to start an All-Star Game under the 3-on-3 format.

Wilson, a three-time 20-goal scorer, has scored 87 even-strength goals since 2017-18, which ranks second on Washington in that span (Alex Ovechkin: 181). In addition, Wilson is the only Capitals forward to average at least 1:30 of power play ice time per game (1:35) and shorthanded ice time per game (1:49) over the last seven seasons.

Since making his NHL regular-season debut on Oct. 1, 2013, Wilson ranks sixth in the NHL in hits (2,146) and leads Capitals forwards in blocked shots (430). Wilson ranks third in franchise history in penalty minutes (1,369) and tied for eighth in shorthanded goals (8).

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Top of the Pacific swooning.

Oilers gonna win the division, baby.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The one per team all star thing is so dumb lol. I mean the whole thing is dumb but still

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mr. Kite posted:

The NHL and NBA should get rid of All-Star Weekend. Replace it with a down week for the entire league about 60 games into the season. Players rest up; heal some nagging injuries. Coaches can draw up some new players. Fans get a break. Everyone comes back ready and rested for the stretch run.

And this earns the owners money how, exactly?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
That Avs game was fun

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RC Cola posted:

That Avs game was fun

Strong disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Czechia just tied it up late with the goalie pulled... The world juniors has been pretty entertaining this year.