Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i thought manga was just cartoons. i've called all my favorite anime/mangas as cartoons/comics forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Guy A. Person posted:

Tashigi as a psudo-rival for Zoro was likely never supposed to happen anyway. She lost to him immediately in Loguetown and it flat out wouldn't make sense for her to somehow catch up and then also keep pace with him as he was training like a drat madman and fighting incredibly tough opponents, much less when he studied directly under Mihawk.

Tashigi as she was introduced was basically the opposite of Kuina in everything but appearance and her dynamic with Zoro was a role reversal of Zoro’s rivalry with Kuina. Tashigi is as hopelessly outmatched against Zoro as Zoro was against Kuina, but she is still fixated on beating him. Tashigi’s biggest character beats in Alabasta also focused on her frustration with her own weakness.
I think the set-up was for her to get stronger over the course of the series and eventually close the gap between her and Zoro. This would give closure to Zoro’s unresolved rivalry by showing that Zoro could’ve one day caught up with Kuina while also showing that Kuina was wrong to doubt herself and a woman could become one of the strongest in the world. That’s probably fallen by the wayside at this point tho

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I could imagine Smoker running into trouble while hunting Baroque Works and calling in noted hero Sir Crocodile to help

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

tbp posted:

i thought manga was just cartoons. i've called all my favorite anime/mangas as cartoons/comics forever

Same but I mostly do it to annoy nerds

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Augus posted:

I don’t really think there’s much wrong with Punk Hazard tbqh besides Zoro and Tashigi’s battle being kinda rear end. It had Law being awesome. It introduced Kinemon. It had good character moments for Nami and Chopper. And it had the gang kidnapping a war criminal

th end of zoros fight kicks rear end tho. just casually loving lopping her in half

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

tbp posted:

it is

ragnarokette posted:

Same but I mostly do it to annoy nerds

and this is an exquisite bonus

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What does One Piece have to do with those Danish guys that did Witch Doctor

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Fungah! posted:

th end of zoros fight kicks rear end tho. just casually loving lopping her in half

I loving love that Zoro chopped her in half purely for intimidation purposes, non-fatally. :allears: he's so cool.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Augus posted:

I don’t really think there’s much wrong with Punk Hazard tbqh besides Zoro and Tashigi’s battle being kinda rear end. It had Law being awesome. It introduced Kinemon. It had good character moments for Nami and Chopper. And it had the gang kidnapping a war criminal

i think it's just a bit bloated, like nearly every post-timeskip arc, and it doesn't have any real high points to offset that in people's memories - there's no particularly cool fights or plot reveals. like, it's as long as thriller bark but in plot terms it's pretty much just setup. i don't think it's terrible or anything but i get why it has the reputation it does.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mikeycp posted:

it had kinemon and momo, it had a dragon. it had clown man. it set up a ton of things.

not my favorite by any metric, but solid arc imo.

Jesus Christ Punk Hazard was over 10 years ago :psyduck:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

We all just have to live at least six years or so we can see the end of OP. Still occasionally think about that poor super fan that passed last year :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CatstropheWaitress posted:

We all just have to live at least six years or so we can see the end of OP. Still occasionally think about that poor super fan that passed last year :(

Imagine being the poor unfortunate soul who dies right before the chapter that reveals The One Piece comes out. At least everyone else died expecting to never know.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gyges posted:

Imagine being the poor unfortunate soul who dies right before the chapter that reveals The One Piece comes out. At least everyone else died expecting to never know.

But The One Piece has already been revealed it's gonna be on Netflix

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Dragonball is a manga set in the Dr. Slump world, where a super robot punched the world in half, serious my rear end.

Dragon Ball had the moon be exploded without any adverse affects on the world whatsoever

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Dragon Ball had the moon be exploded without any adverse affects on the world whatsoever

More than once!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Plutonis posted:

The gently caress is this Man-Wolf erasure???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-1103/chapter/41297?action=read

Official out. Biggest clarification is that Bonney's mother is not Saturn's wife, but was the eighth wife of a "fellow in the holy land" which means either a CD or another Elder

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I guess even Kizaru has his limits. Playing it cool and just following orders just isn't going to cut it when an evil spider monster is about to kill your friends.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Official out. Biggest clarification is that Bonney's mother is not Saturn's wife, but was the eighth wife of a "fellow in the holy land" which means either a CD or another Elder

Was talking to a friend about it and he pointed out a glaring translation error.

Like, they were obviously aiming at Bonney, why is it that it's translated at 'shoot HIM through the head'?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Presumably to signify that he's arrived on the scene and they're switching target.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Like, they were obviously aiming at Bonney, why is it that it's translated at 'shoot HIM through the head'?
The translators saw a crosshair on Kuma's eye and thought that's what the soldiers were aiming at, not understanding that it was Kuma targeting the soldiers aiming at his daughter.

And on the previous page someone is talking about shooting Kuma with the "give him every shot you have" line.

It's definitely an embarrassing mistake, but I see why they hosed up.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Presumably to signify that he's arrived on the scene and they're switching target.
They hadn't switched targets at that point. It wasn't clear to them that Kuma's arrival was immanent. Saturn was basically saying "gently caress this, just kill this kid," and Kuma came out of nowhere to dramatically blew up the soldiers at the last second to save his daughter. Note the previous page where Kuma blasts past a bunch of soldiers, keeps running, and then we see soldiers aiming up at Bonney in Saturn's hands. Kuma is close, but he's not there yet when the soldiers aiming up are told to shoot her in the head.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I could imagine Smoker running into trouble while hunting Baroque Works and calling in noted hero Sir Crocodile to help

Smoker would never ask a pirate to help him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Eiba posted:

The translators saw a crosshair on Kuma's eye and thought that's what the soldiers were aiming at, not understanding that it was Kuma targeting the soldiers aiming at his daughter.

And on the previous page someone is talking about shooting Kuma with the "give him every shot you have" line.

It's definitely an embarrassing mistake, but I see why they hosed up.

They hadn't switched targets at that point. It wasn't clear to them that Kuma's arrival was immanent. Saturn was basically saying "gently caress this, just kill this kid," and Kuma came out of nowhere to dramatically blew up the soldiers at the last second to save his daughter. Note the previous page where Kuma blasts past a bunch of soldiers, keeps running, and then we see soldiers aiming up at Bonney in Saturn's hands. Kuma is close, but he's not there yet when the soldiers aiming up are told to shoot her in the head.

Yeah was about to type basically all of this: the translator misinterpreted the crosshair and also got confused about the admittedly frantic back and forth between the soldiers fighting an approaching Kuma and the ones still targeting Bonney

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah was about to type basically all of this: the translator misinterpreted the crosshair and also got confused about the admittedly frantic back and forth between the soldiers fighting an approaching Kuma and the ones still targeting Bonney

Hell, that's how I interpreted it until I just read these posts.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I thought the explosions were kind of vague, like they aren’t paw-shaped so I didn’t realize they were supposed to be from Kuma at first. I know he has lazers but he’s a paw-paw man, dang it!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I thought the explosions were kind of vague, like they aren’t paw-shaped so I didn’t realize they were supposed to be from Kuma at first. I know he has lazers but he’s a paw-paw man, dang it!
The guy who gave him the ability to shoot beams out of his mouth is sitting right there, next to the guy whose ability he studied to figure out beams. I feel like it's only fair to emphasize their contributions to this vengeful dad's rampage.

It's crazy how much this scenario is a direct followup to what we learned in Sabaody in particular.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Also all of the dialog for the previous pages was ordering the soldiers to shoot at Kuma going from "shoot him if you must" to "give him every shot you have" so I think it' was a reasonable interpretation that Saturn was choosing to squeeze Bonney to death (& shutting her up) while ordering Kuma's head blown off to stop him, even if it was meant to be going back to shooting her head

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that set of pages/panels is a lil confusing to be fair. happens from time to time with oda

Waffleman_ posted:

sometimes the subject being referred to in japanese isnt very clear. im assuming this (and also the shoot x through the head) are statements without direct nouns so it could be interpreted multiple ways? im not 100% convinced this one is more accurate, but i trust stephen on accuracy more than i trust fan translators

anime was right fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 5, 2024

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kuma is cool as gently caress imo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
could've been solved by saying "shoot them in the head" it's ambiguous, yes, but it also conveys the confusion going on in the scene.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

kidcoelacanth posted:

kuma is cool as gently caress imo

Cooler than Aokiji, just the absolute coolest.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Cooler than Aokiji, just the absolute coolest.

What’s cooler than cool? AOKIJI

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

rannum posted:

Also all of the dialog for the previous pages was ordering the soldiers to shoot at Kuma going from "shoot him if you must" to "give him every shot you have" so I think it' was a reasonable interpretation that Saturn was choosing to squeeze Bonney to death (& shutting her up) while ordering Kuma's head blown off to stop him, even if it was meant to be going back to shooting her head
It's an understandable mistake, but not a reasonable interpretation.

Note where the soldiers are pointing their guns before and after the order, and for that matter what Saturn is saying. The first panel (on the right) was on a previous page, but these are three consecutive panels.

Still aiming for her head.

Also, I know it's been a while since this scenario began, but he's been holding her out the whole time with soldiers pointing guns at her.

(I misread your post as actively defending the 'change of target' interpretation, which is why I bothered with the screenshots. On closer reading I do see you're being neutral, but I cropped and uploaded the relevant panels so I might as well post 'em anyway.)

Meanwhile, a much better bit to post:

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
i'd say it's dumb that saturn needs help killing a child but the execution of someone with a gun being a representation of power is an ongoing thing

going to wait all month for kuma to punch this guy

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's a lot of serious and heartbreaking stuff(Bonney...:smith:) but that panel of Luffy grabbing all that food while Saturn starts freaking out still makes me laugh.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mikeycp posted:

could've been solved by saying "shoot them in the head" it's ambiguous, yes, but it also conveys the confusion going on in the scene.

thats probably closer to how it was originally written anyway

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Eiba posted:

Still aiming for her head.

Did you forget Kuma... is large?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Who here is good with japan creature mythos? Just trying to figure out why Saturn can paralyze people with a glare, is that a thing that the monster he's based on can do? It is like a lore thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's just extremely powerful Conqueror's