Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

White Light posted:

Who here is good with japan creature mythos? Just trying to figure out why Saturn can paralyze people with a glare, is that a thing that the monster he's based on can do? It is like a lore thing

I’ve been thinking about how they constantly refer to dreams. If this metaphor carries across the whole narrative, it might make Saturn a sleep demon along with all the Gorosei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

PuttyKnife posted:

I’ve been thinking about how they constantly refer to dreams. If this metaphor carries across the whole narrative, it might make Saturn a sleep demon along with all the Gorosei.

Ive been thinking that the ancient kingdom was a kingdom of Devils for a while, if only because the WG couldnt allow Clover to even say the name of the kingdom and "Devil" is the only single word I can think of that would reveal a big secret to even a layman. Not super tight reasoning but Im not tryin to claim it is. I dont think the Gorosei have a fruit, theyre likely traitors who sided with the 20 families instead of the D clan in whatever war happened 800 years ago and are literal devils who allowed thier country and fellows to be destroyed. If the devils of the ancient kingdom themselves were hated by the sea as well it could explain why the world seems to have been flooded.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ushi-oni

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The end of One Piece is the end of the age of piracy due to all the water receding since there's no need to confine the devils to Mary Geoise after they're dead, right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

So yeah, the main things about ushi-oni (apart from that they're gigantic bull-spiders that can and will eat you) are that (a) they're aquatic, (b) they're heavily associated with terrible, incurable diseases, and (c) sone of them transform babies into immensely heavy stones to trap their prey. At least two out of three of those seem relevant.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Also can paralyze you with their eyes to make eating you easier apparently.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive been thinking that the ancient kingdom was a kingdom of Devils for a while, if only because the WG couldnt allow Clover to even say the name of the kingdom and "Devil" is the only single word I can think of that would reveal a big secret to even a layman. Not super tight reasoning but Im not tryin to claim it is. I dont think the Gorosei have a fruit, theyre likely traitors who sided with the 20 families instead of the D clan in whatever war happened 800 years ago and are literal devils who allowed thier country and fellows to be destroyed. If the devils of the ancient kingdom themselves were hated by the sea as well it could explain why the world seems to have been flooded.

One piece is just Tel'aran'rhiod and Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Meme Emulator posted:

gonna effortpost some bullshit theories based off this, becuase its break week and i love being called insane:

i actually think it was called the Pirate Kingdom. everyone was truly free and their dreams could come true because of ancient technology. the current WG dubbed the pirates devils since they opposed the WG in the great war. calling it the "devil kingdom" doesnt really change the narrative that already exists. but if it was called the "pirate kingdom" it would give credence to the idea that pirates had some form of unity and keep them from infighting as they are--if all of the four emperors teamed up at once, the WG would lose so they need to keep them in disarray.

a long time ago the davy back fight originated and part of it was stealing crew members and flags. when cobra was about to get murked, he mentioned flying a specific flag. i think the whole pirate kingdom/davy back fight/flag of dawn are all heavily related. i actually think whats on laugh tale is the flag of the ancient kingdom--i shitposted a while ago about laugh tale resulting in a "jolly roger," but after what cobra said i absolutely think the flag cobra is talking about is this:

this is the pirate kingdom flag, a jolly roger of a series of ships that freely sailed the world doing whatever the gently caress they wanted, all unified not through murder or bloodshed, but the davy back fight.

which is seen all over the world of one piece on the allies against the WG. all of the current jolly rogers are "skull and bones" for a reason: The D clan is said to smile when they die, and luffy and binks sake say "when we die all we'll be is bones" the jolly roger motif is because it represents dead and smiling people, or the D clan.

the "devil fruits" are the "fruit" of a "devil." oda loves puns and something i noticed is that a different kanji for "mi" is body. toki is the only character we know from the void century and her ability is called Toki Toki. i'm not sure if she was named after her ability or vice-versa, but it feels weird that the only devil fruit power/character we know from that time period has the exact name of their fruit. i think that DFs are the literal manifestation of the dreams, which alter the body, of the ancient kingdom's people (dubbed evils) who had that dream fulfilled through a change in their body. joyboys dream was to become nika, an old folk hero of the time, but he couldnt fulfill his purpose with that fruit/ability. characters who pursue their dreams can get absurd powers that alter the fabric of reality (like sanji with devil jambe and zoro with asura), so i think these fruits are a reflection of that ability. because dreams dont die, the fruits reincarnate. the current WG, whose "dream" was to become rulers of the world, manifested as literal devils.

in relation to this: crushing the dreams of an opponent means that their desire to do evil is removed from the world and no longer inherited, either through DF reincarnation or general inherited will. luffy killing someone is actually worse than simply crushing their dreams, because the dreams of pirates never end. characters become weaker when their dream is crushed and they can no longer alter reality the way they used to.

and just a side thing: i think the world is as it is because the planets used to house people with similar levels of technology, but they ran out of resources and all moved to one pieces planet. the star system seen in ohara is defunct because the planets have all been "destroyed" -- the composition of these satellites were used as "vearth" to terraform the current planet. this is why the islands have fucky magnetic fields. the compasses are fighting against the two most relevant "poles" and eventually settle on the strongest one. these destroyed planets were occupied by one of each of the five elders and opposed pirates. this included the space pirates. the leader of one of the space pirates is called "seamars." these two ideas have been diametrically opposed for longer than one piece has basically had a planet. the moon is the only "non-destroyed" planet left.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You're insane!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Terper posted:

You're insane!

thank u

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

White Light posted:

Who here is good with japan creature mythos? Just trying to figure out why Saturn can paralyze people with a glare, is that a thing that the monster he's based on can do? It is like a lore thing

my current theory is that he's got what amounts to anti-haki: if haki is the projection of willpower and drive, then saturn and the other elders can project the obverse of that (hopelessness and stagnancy) and overpower almost anyone. the reason why nika is so dangerous to the WG is both because he's naturally immune to a power like that, and because he's able to inspire people to overcome it, which is why bonney and kuma, two staunch believers in the myth, were able to break out and attack saturn

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Vermain posted:

my current theory is that he's got what amounts to anti-haki: if haki is the projection of willpower and drive, then saturn and the other elders can project the obverse of that (hopelessness and stagnancy) and overpower almost anyone. the reason why nika is so dangerous to the WG is both because he's naturally immune to a power like that, and because he's able to inspire people to overcome it, which is why bonney and kuma, two staunch believers in the myth, were able to break out and attack saturn

god it would be so funny if this lead to usopp saving the day again because hes already hopeless

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

anime was right posted:

god it would be so funny if this lead to usopp saving the day again because hes already hopeless

One of the Elders has to do A Face at some point

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

this is the pirate kingdom flag, a jolly roger of a series of ships that freely sailed the world doing whatever the gently caress they wanted, all unified not through murder or bloodshed, but the davy back fight.
Why this flag specifically? Because it looks kinda like a solar system??

Vermain posted:

Makes sense! Luffy is simply down for the count because he’s hungry rather than being overpowered by Saturn. Once everyone is literally looking at Nika they should be able to stand up again. I wonder at what point in the story the crew will actually learn who Nika is and whether it will lead to them all getting a buff just by holding that knowledge.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Cat Machine posted:

Why this flag specifically? Because it looks kinda like a solar system??

its located in every kingdom that was allied with the ancient kingdom (shandora on wiper and on shandian statues, wano as the kozuki symbol, fishman island on king neptune as a tattoo, and similar to the sun tattoo used to overwrite the celestial dragon marking, its very close to the flag of alabasta). it resembles a geocentric solar system and a sun at the same time. so the sun unifying all of the "planets" as dawn, imo.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 6, 2024

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

anime was right posted:

gonna effortpost some bullshit theories based off this, becuase its break week and i love being called insane:

i actually think it was called the Pirate Kingdom. everyone was truly free and their dreams could come true because of ancient technology. the current WG dubbed the pirates devils since they opposed the WG in the great war. calling it the "devil kingdom" doesnt really change the narrative that already exists. but if it was called the "pirate kingdom" it would give credence to the idea that pirates had some form of unity and keep them from infighting as they are--if all of the four emperors teamed up at once, the WG would lose so they need to keep them in disarray.

a long time ago the davy back fight originated and part of it was stealing crew members and flags. when cobra was about to get murked, he mentioned flying a specific flag. i think the whole pirate kingdom/davy back fight/flag of dawn are all heavily related. i actually think whats on laugh tale is the flag of the ancient kingdom--i shitposted a while ago about laugh tale resulting in a "jolly roger," but after what cobra said i absolutely think the flag cobra is talking about is this:

That's just Long Ring, Long Land.

I still like the theory that once Luffy gets the One Piece, they have to go back there for something, maybe to fight Imu.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

White Light posted:

Ushi Oni are said to be exceedingly cruel, can inflict terrible curses and disease on people. They can attack people through their shadows, and can kill with their gaze by draining their soul.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

One Piece is a remake of Sailor Moon, got it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

PuttyKnife posted:

I still like the theory that once Luffy gets the One Piece, they have to go back there for something, maybe to fight Imu.

They have to go back and get their buddy Tonjit for the big party at the end.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

and can kill with their gaze by draining their soul.

Aaaaah there it is, good work champ 👌

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

PuttyKnife posted:

actually it's just Kuma's paws

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Kild posted:

Why Not Both dot Pee En Gee.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PuttyKnife posted:

davy back davy back davy back

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

anime was right posted:

already did this bit with perona

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kild posted:

well he is the hand of liberation

jsoh posted:

already did this bit with perona

yes thats the point. it would be funnier if it happened again with the strongest people on the planet.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

One Piece is a remake of Sailor Moon, got it.

No, it's a Wheel of Time fan fiction mixed with Mistborn in honor of the only good books in WoT.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/pewpiece/status/1743793478780240325

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Am i looking too much into the shot where it transitions from vivi into bonney looking at Kumas memory bubble. This isnt a tease that Vivi will get Kumas power right?

Excellent OP, beautiful art, extremely spoilery for anime onlys

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The question is: Will Kuma talk?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Very fun visuals in the new OP, but i'm not really digging the song much. I'll see if it grows on me, but for now it's probably one of the weaker songs in the series for me.

e: Here's the OP in better quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbno_aPm0w

Julias fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 7, 2024

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jesus Christ they really are going all out in the recent openings.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cameo by Afro Luffy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Did you notice how Koby was the only one of that series of characters who refused to fall and started to run instead?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

very good opening

mabels big day posted:

Am i looking too much into the shot where it transitions from vivi into bonney looking at Kumas memory bubble. This isnt a tease that Vivi will get Kumas power right?

you definitely are.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder how long this OP will run for; probably until Saturn's arrival right?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The part where it goes through all their outfits is awesome

edit: I guess it only goes through all of Luffy's but we see some of the rest of the crew's

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 7, 2024

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Julias posted:

Very fun visuals in the new OP, but i'm not really digging the song much. I'll see if it grows on me, but for now it's probably one of the weaker songs in the series for me.

e: Here's the OP in better quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbno_aPm0w

drat this is sick as hell. I wish the whole show looked that good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gologle posted:

Did you notice how Koby was the only one of that series of characters who refused to fall and started to run instead?

no he isn't. the montage is showing a continuous motion that is split between multiple characters. Sabo struggles to stand up, Kid gets back on his feet and begins to take a step forward, Law takes the step and then stumbles, Koby catches himself mid-stumble and begins to run forward, Vivi runs toward the hole Wapol made to escape Mariejoa, Bonney reaches out to Kuma's orb.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The beginning and end catch of this are cool as hell, awesome art direction choices too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

one peak