Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rageaholic posted:

Alien Covenant was not the worst Alien film. That's Alien3. But Covenant is still bottom of the barrel as far as the Alien series goes.

3 is way better than Covenant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alien 3 is the last Alien movie you need, but you do need it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

GoldStandardConure posted:

mans never hated an alien movie in his life

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's a ton of mid in the Alien franchise. Covenant being actually good puts it ahead of most.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Covenant mostly suffers because it's a good Alien movie, but it's a bad sequel to Prometheus. It really slaps audiences in the face in terms of their expectations. It didn't click with me the first time because I felt a bit cheated, but on a second viewing with my expectations reset I really enjoyed it. It's very similar to Alien 3 in that way, so much so that it's hard not to read as Ridley's endorsement of 3's storytelling choice of killing most of the previous film's protagonists off offscreen between films.

But even if you can't appreciate its storytelling choices, Resurrection and the AVP films just aren't even in the same league. It's Ridley Scott making a robot Hammer Frankenstein movie.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I don't like 3 very much. I've tried rewatching it and it's just not good. Fincher is right to disown that movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don't like 3 very much. I've tried rewatching it and it's just not good. Fincher is right to disown that movie.

Fincher's made way worse movies, including his most recent one

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

People complain about the characters in Prometheus being stupid but in Covenant they're dumb on an entirely different level.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fincher's made way worse movies, including his most recent one

I'll give you Button but everything else he's made is way better than alien 3

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Covenant is a weird one because all the good things (David and the Xenomorph) are overshadowed by all the bad things (David and the Xenomorph). I have a massive soft spot for Resurrection but there's no escaping the fact that it's an extremely bad movie.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Alien 4 is basically an alien comic book made into a movie, it reminds me of all those DC alien hardbacks I'd read at the mall. Dumb fun with some great stuff in there.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'll give you Button but everything else he's made is way better than alien 3

The Killer was lame, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was awful, and even David Fincher seems to want to pretend Mank never happened

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was awful

what

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i said what i said. but i mean he was using it to warm up his airport fiction muscles before he did Gone Girl, which was good, so hey.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Those are all better than Alien 3

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Those are all better than Alien 3

i'll grant Gone Girl, maybe

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Which Alien3 are you talking about

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Which Alien3 are you talking about

i generally agree with the consensus that the Assembly Cut is better but honestly the Theatrical Cut is very good too (and does a couple of things better than the Assembly Cut does)

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
I enjoyed Dragon Tattoo quite a lot when I rewatched it recently. There are points when it is labouring through exposition when it’s clear it’s based off a big airport novel (which I haven’t read).

However tonally it does make me a bit uncomfortable. One half of the movie is handsome Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara having sex and solving a preposterous mystery, and if it’s dark it’s like, goofy dark. And then some really quite grim and full on stuff happens in the movie as well. Neither aspect is bad necessarily, but they don’t gel; it feels like maybe Fincher can’t tell the difference between them.

Gone Girl I never really got. the Killer is decent for what it is. Alien3 is bad. Sorry Alien3, but it can’t be denied.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It feels weird to say this about something that was only barely 15 years ago, but the whole Girl With the Dragon Tattoo phenomenon feels very of its time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bows1 posted:

Its interesting that I see a ton of people over the moon for Oz Perkins and I've never heard of him... looked him up and hes written 2 things that I've never heard of. Are they worth watching? People seem to love this guy.

Gretel & Hansel is dope

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

bows1 posted:

Its interesting that I see a ton of people over the moon for Oz Perkins and I've never heard of him... looked him up and hes written 2 things that I've never heard of. Are they worth watching? People seem to love this guy.

The Blackcoat’s Daughter and Gretel and Hansel are both well worth your time, but I was not a fan of I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rageaholic posted:

Alien Covenant was not the worst Alien film.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I can't say a stop motion office comedy by Mike Judge, Zach Woods, and Brandon Gardner was ever on my radar, but here we are. I had the opportunity to work on it and it was really cool how excited they were to work in stop mo. They also brought in a food truck that served ice cream and fresh warm churros. 10/10 would do season two if it happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci_PnX7kegM

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ant mouth posted:

I can't say a stop motion office comedy by Mike Judge, Zach Woods, and Brandon Gardner was ever on my radar, but here we are. I had the opportunity to work on it and it was really cool how excited they were to work in stop mo. They also brought in a food truck that served ice cream and fresh warm churros. 10/10 would do season two if it happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci_PnX7kegM

This makes me miss Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

is that the Alien dog

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Alien Covenant was not the worst Alien film. That's Alien3. But Covenant is still bottom of the barrel as far as the Alien series goes.

It's Resurrection, you plum.

It goes

1 or 2, both are acceptable: Alien and Aliens
3. Alien 3, especially the Workprint edition
4. Covenant
5. Prometheus
6. Alien Resurrection

But 4th place onwards are utter poo poo.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Alien 3 is honestly just pretty boring. Opening few minutes are solid, but then you spend an hour with Ripley trying to determine if there is an alien when we already know there is one. So best you get is her interacting with prisoners with outside of Dance is pretty dull too. And then it’s all brown hallways.

Covenant at least gets alien stuff going right away and then gives you two robot bros to hang with.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, Prometheus is wildly more interesting to me than Alien 3. I like Covenant more than 3, but I can understand liking 3 more than it, because Covenant gets as much wrong as it gets right, and fucks up a lot of the promise that Prometheus set up. But Prometheus is a really solid movie, to me.

edogawa rando posted:

It goes

4. Covenant
5. Prometheus
6. Alien Resurrection

Other than what I said above about Prometheus (I'd put it in the #3 spot), I agree with this. People saying Covenant is the worst in the series apparently forget about Resurrection and the AvP movies.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 8, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

It goes

4. Covenant
5. Prometheus
6. Alien Resurrection

Um excuse me you forgot Outland and Planet of Vampires.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

1. Alien
2. Prometheus
3. Alien$
4. Covenant

Then the rest

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The BLOODIER GORIER version of the chestbuster sequence in Covenant is a lot of fun in spite of probably being a fairly cynical exercise with Ridley throwing up his hands and going, fine, this is what the fanboys want, I don't give a poo poo.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 9, 2024

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That tension is kinda what I love about it, he tried to make a movie for THE FANS but just couldn't help pissing everyone off anyway

Ridley's the best and he's the only one I care to see make Alien content. Noah Hawley can gently caress off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Colonel Whitey posted:

1. Alien
2. Prometheus
3. Alien$
4. Covenant

Then the rest

This is basically where I'm at. Aliens is in some respects the epitome of its type of film, but it's one I'm just a little colder on than Ridley Scott on his bullshit.

Covenant is certainly the weakest of those four but its also a big budget remake of loving Forbidden Planet where Robby and Robot and Morbius are twinsies and in love so like hell if I ain't giving it props.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

1. Alien-Aliens
2. Prometheus-covenant
3. Alien 3
4. Alien resurrection

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I want to love everything about Prometheus but I can't get past the dumb rear end writing of the characters. I just can't. I keep watching it and every time it's dumber. The overall concept, production design, etc is enjoyable but the characters loving suck.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BonoMan posted:

I want to love everything about Prometheus but I can't get past the dumb rear end writing of the characters. I just can't. I keep watching it and every time it's dumber. The overall concept, production design, etc is enjoyable but the characters loving suck.

David rules so I don’t know what your problem is

Also the characters are very well written and accurate to humans

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Those characters are the exact type of fuckups you would expect a trillionaire to assemble to find and usurp God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Eww no David.