Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I binged all of the first season of bottom tier character then read the novels and i beg you dont go down that rabbit hole unless you like crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1744649210866102338

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

is this a hoax again?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

is this a hoax again?

Nope

https://twitter.com/dorohedoro_PR/status/1744645187123527749

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PRAISE

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Spookydonut posted:

I binged all of the first season of bottom tier character then read the novels and i beg you dont go down that rabbit hole unless you like crying.
the characters crying or the reader crying?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
New seasons for Konosuba and Dorohedoro. Now I just need an announcement for Houseki no Kuni for my own personal hat-trick.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Doodles posted:

whoever said Fluffy Paradise's protag isn't OP really needs to roll that back

Doctor Doolittle powers are not OP, I'm gonna die on this hill :colbert:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Doctor Doolittle powers are not OP, I'm gonna die on this hill :colbert:

She has better than Doctor Doolittle powers though, she has a pacifying effect on any animal she meets. I mean she hand fed a goddamn tiger and pacified a dragon with head pats. No matter how intelligent those animals are they see humans as annoyances at best and food at worst but they roll over and play nice doggie for the little girl.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

She has better than Doctor Doolittle powers though, she has a pacifying effect on any animal she meets. I mean she hand fed a goddamn tiger and pacified a dragon with head pats. No matter how intelligent those animals are they see humans as annoyances at best and food at worst but they roll over and play nice doggie for the little girl.

Doolittle also befriended a tiger and a dragon, touché.

Even the Eddie Murphy version had a tiger buddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFPO8TjKorg

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

OH WE BACK

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Mr.Villains Day Off is pretty alrite.

can relate to the day off energy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Mr.Villains Day Off is pretty alrite.

can relate to the day off energy

Or lack of energy, as the case may be.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life Married to Her Worst Enemy! episode 1: seems to have a lot in common with the Otome Villainess genre in that the protag starts out engaged to the prince but is publicly denounced because a rival spread lies about her, so she loses everything and goes on the run. The hook here is that every time she dies she travels back in time to the exact moment that the prince breaks off their engagement and gets to start over again, and so far she's lived 6 different lives where she's had various careers which have given her a wide range of advanced skills. They rush through this at breakneck speed, they briefly show moments from her first two lives but every time she dies it goes to a black screen with the voiceover "..... but then war broke out and I was killed" with no other detail, and lives 3 to 6 are barely even shown at all. At the start of her 7th do-over things turn out exceedingly differently and she accidentally impresses the man who usually ends up becoming the Emperor who starts the war which inevitably kills her, and he suddenly proposes to her ...
It doesn't really break any new ground but it's not bad, if you're a fan of otome/princess animes you might enjoy it.

Solo Leveling episode 1: has a similar premise to Gate in that dimensional portals to a magical realm open up across Japan and fantasy monsters pour out and start killing people, so the portals are blocked off and teams are sent in to kill monsters and bring back resources. The twist here is that the monsters are completely impervious to modern weapons so 'hunters' have to go into the fantasy world to find magical weapons, and a few lucky people find they have an aptitude for magic and can use new powers. The protagonist is the weakest of all the hunters and frequently gets injured in even the easiest of missions, but he has to support his family so he keeps giving his best. However, when he joins a team for what should be an easy dungeon adventure they discover something unprecedented and things take a turn for the worse ....
The premise here feels pretty forced (bullets don't work on monsters so the army was powerless to fight goblins, wtf) and even though it's supposedly set half in the real world they use a lot of RPG cliches (tier levels, guilds, boss fights, character classes, etc etc)

Chained Soldier episode 1: another series where portals open up across Japan and monsters flood out and kill people, so fighters with special powers have to cross over to kill monsters and save people who get trapped in the other realm. The twist here is that only women can gain these powers so men have pretty much become second class citizens and have to perform all the menial services in society. When meek schoolboy Yuuki gets trapped in the other world he's saved by the chief of the Seventh Unit of the Anti-Demon Corps and when they get surrounded by monsters she decides to try her special power of "enslave monster" on him in desperation. She binds him and he hulks out and turns into a monster-slaying beast who follows her every command, but when the dust settles it turns out that the downside of her power is that she is compelled to 'reward' her slave for his efforts and in his case that means she has to smooch him a lot.
The tone reminds me a lot of Vermeil in Gold, with the roles somewhat flipped

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Watched Villainess Level 99. I liked it! The story isn't anything groundbreaking, and it's obviously a cheap production, but it's generally a solid adaptation of what I like from the manga. A real comfort food sort of show. (Anime spoiler) I appreciated the commitment to the initial fake-out, although they could have gone harder on the twist reveal.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Solo Leveling episode 1: has a similar premise to Gate in that dimensional portals to a magical realm open up across Japan and fantasy monsters pour out and start killing people, so the portals are
The premise here feels pretty forced (bullets don't work on monsters so the army was powerless to fight goblins, wtf) and even though it's supposedly set half in the real world they use a lot of RPG cliches (tier levels, guilds, boss fights, character classes, etc etc)

The 'mysterious dungeon/tower appears and people get sucked in where they obtain a magical status window and generic RPG skills and items to explore it' is like a whole isekai-adjacent subgenre of power fantasy in manhwa. Don't expect Solo Leveling to do anything fun or interesting with said premise, it's about as rote of a selfish power fantasy story as you can get, with boring-to-bad characterization and a pretty empty plot with boring world-building. Its only really redeeming feature in the manhwa is that the art was really pretty, I haven't checked out the anime, but I'm guessing they didn't have the budget to go ham on that angle.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They apparently had a double-length premiere but as part of the season have only aired the first episode, which doesn't even get to the hook of the MC's power. The visuals are polished and will probably be the selling point just like you're saying with the manhwa.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

"Solo Leveling" sucks as a name too because it evokes mindless grinding of lovely fetch or kill quests in mmos. Exactly what I want out of an anime.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Solo Leveling 1 did actually look pretty good, but we haven't reached the real action yet.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

haypliss posted:

They apparently had a double-length premiere but as part of the season have only aired the first episode, which doesn't even get to the hook of the MC's power. The visuals are polished and will probably be the selling point just like you're saying with the manhwa.

Makes sense, the cutoff for episode 1 by itself was a terrible hook to end on

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Yeah i was really wondering why the fuq they ended the premiere there. It's fine, I guess. It's low on the list for this season but when Fluffy Paradise is ahead I gotta feeling it might get dropped.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
solo leveling's first act (the first 20 or so chapters) is insanely good, but it devolves into a generic action manwha after that

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ATP_Power posted:

Its only really redeeming feature in the manhwa is that the art was really pretty

That's a common line with Solo Levelling, but even that I always felt was kind of well-rendered but characterless.

Plus, y'know, even the prettiest action is charmless when there are no stakes and the blow-by-blow is a load of "push sword glow harder".

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

This is even better news than Plus Sized Elf

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Coaaab posted:

the characters crying or the reader crying?

the reader (me)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hokkaido Gals is definitely a horny show, but it was enjoyable watching a guy be a complete oddball about interactions and working his way through normal events he blew out of proportion.

Also I did my first “I know that my from my time in Hokkaido” with Seicomart. Looking forward to more.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Haystack posted:

Watched Villainess Level 99. I liked it! The story isn't anything groundbreaking, and it's obviously a cheap production, but it's generally a solid adaptation of what I like from the manga. A real comfort food sort of show. (Anime spoiler) I appreciated the commitment to the initial fake-out, although they could have gone harder on the twist reveal.

Regarding that spoiler: the shonky streaming service I was using sometimes fucks up their listings and uploads some random show instead of what you were expecting so I was genuinely unsure I was watching the right show at the start

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Really loving the OP song for Mashle S2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg73p9udbAQ

Creepy Nuts ftw

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

That's a common line with Solo Levelling, but even that I always felt was kind of well-rendered but characterless.

Plus, y'know, even the prettiest action is charmless when there are no stakes and the blow-by-blow is a load of "push sword glow harder".

Yeah, most of the fighting ends up being 'MC makes the bigger, stronger energy blast than whoever they're fighting' and there's really nothing going on with the art that helps any of the character work, but it does have fun doing big, detailed spreads and I remember the landscape work being good. I finished the series mostly on the momentum of wanting to see what bullshit the author's gonna try and fail to sell me on next.

The early chapters do a decent job of tricking you into thinking it might be doing something a little bit interesting at a couple of points, but don't worry, the story doesn't care about any of that, it only cares about how cool and powerful the MC is compared to anyone in a scene with him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Bang Brave Bang Bravern is tomorrow, right? Still curious if that one is gonna go for a hard sci-fi real robot vibe or if Obari's madness is going to seep in and send the show off the rails. Kinda hoping for the latter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do we know if anyone picked it up for streaming yet?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like every season some isekai airs that the same 3 goons are like 'yooo this ones Different' and then people watch it and go 'this is a generic isekai' and then it repeats

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

i feel like every season some isekai airs that the same 3 goons are like 'yooo this ones Different' and then people watch it and go 'this is a generic isekai' and then it repeats

it's a psyop

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

i pretty much wait for people who aren't on team isekai to say if an isekai is good

the thing that gets me is the generic fantasy stuff i usually try and it's still equally bad

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Like wine tasters, only the ones with a refined palate can tell the minute differences

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

Like wine tasters, only the ones with a refined palate can tell the minute differences

slash me downs a Four Loko and punches a hole through your chest a la Killua

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

So Bang Brave Bang Bravern is tomorrow, right? Still curious if that one is gonna go for a hard sci-fi real robot vibe or if Obari's madness is going to seep in and send the show off the rails. Kinda hoping for the latter.

Still kinda banking on this having a swerve like Akiba Maid, but I just started Marginal Service and realized that was another Cygames original and was just what it said on the tin...then nobody ended up watching/talking about it. 💀

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My posts are an isekai

Think you can avoid isekais forever?? You're in one right now

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Frieren is a generic isekai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic