Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Back in 2021 I gave money to a Kickstarter for a new dub for Dirty Pair. I didn't care about the dub, I just wanted Dirty Pair on bluray. Over the course of the campaign they kept adding stretch goals for more features on the bluray. Today they announced they are about to start recording one of the sets of stretch goal commentaries.

I just want Dirty Pair on bluray :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sniep posted:

I cannot believe this to be true, even for the old pre-covid $5 loose dvd/blu ray bins.

Printed copy media is always a money printer as long as there's volume, real good money - because the only costs involved are license related. Printing a disc and it's case is under a dollar, the rest of the sticker price is a split of some kind.

No retailer is losing money selling a $36.99 print of Insidius The Red Door. BBY just (likely a long time ago, from as long as I've heard employees there telling me it was being planned,) must simply have made a call that the sales volume wasn't living up to the store floor square footage and decided they could do better elsewhere. Just in time for everyone to be getting fed up with streaming - slow rear end business behaving slowly.

20 years ago I worked at a video game store while I was in college, and I saw the bill of materials for new games. Between the publisher and the distributor, the store was paying between $50-54 for a new game that retailed for $60. Definitely not a huge profit center (which is why GameStop pivoted so hard to used games in the early 2000s).

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Timby posted:

20 years ago I worked at a video game store while I was in college, and I saw the bill of materials for new games. Between the publisher and the distributor, the store was paying between $50-54 for a new game that retailed for $60. Definitely not a huge profit center (which is why GameStop pivoted so hard to used games in the early 2000s).

Are we talking cartridges or first gen cd consoles cuz I can totally believe that and it doesn't negate today's drastically different logistics and disc pressing methods.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sniep posted:

Are we talking cartridges or first gen cd consoles cuz I can totally believe that and it doesn't negate today's drastically different logistics and disc pressing methods.

2004-05-06 CDs / DVDs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Someone's gotta replace bed bath and beyond!

According to an advertisement I saw plastered onto the grimy stairs of an NYC subway station, BB&B is back under new ownership!!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Of course it is.

Vs putting out black cat 1 and 2, looks great

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Daily deals:

Talons of the Eagle
Scary of Sixty-First (they really wanna get rid of this lol)
Expect No Mercy
Devil Story
Auntie Lee's Meat Pies
The Birds 2
Hot Snake/Guns and Guts double feature
Horror High/Stanley double feature
Trauma
A Dim Valley
Wild Tigers I Have Known
Death of Nintendo
Master of the World
Deadguy: Killing Music
Freakscene
Brother's Keeper
Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance
Boggy Creek 2

I recommend Trauma. I still haven't seen The Birds 2 even though I own it

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Shining (1997) getting a Scream Factory collector's edition in March.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Birds 2 was very bad

Auntie Lee's Meat Pies is fun

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Insta-pre order on black cat 1 & 2. That trailer sold me hard.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
2 Billy Blnks films on the VS deal today, Talons of the Eagle and Show No Mercy. Buy them you cowards

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Gripweed posted:

Back in 2021 I gave money to a Kickstarter for a new dub for Dirty Pair. I didn't care about the dub, I just wanted Dirty Pair on bluray. Over the course of the campaign they kept adding stretch goals for more features on the bluray. Today they announced they are about to start recording one of the sets of stretch goal commentaries.

I just want Dirty Pair on bluray :(

I backed this too and I don't give a single poo poo about the dub and kind of think they shouldn't have bothered with it in the first place, but I just wanted the series on Blu-ray. Every update is like, "Good news! Some guy who paid a bunch of money to be a voice in one episode said he's free to record three months from now!"

I'm curious how many people backed it specifically for the dub and how many people just backed it for the blu-rays.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PinkoBastard posted:

2 Billy Blnks films on the VS deal today, Talons of the Eagle and Show No Mercy. Buy them you cowards

God twist my arm about it…

I purposefully haven’t been checking daily deals so I didn’t overbuy this month but here it goes…

Beware, Children at Play
Talons of the Eagle
Show No Mercy
Black Cat 1&2
Cult Films of Marilyn Jess

Gunna just not look at the site anymore…

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Using VS week to finally buy a copy of Nightmare Sisters off eBay. Saw a slipcased copy for $30 shipped, sold. I’m not really someone who cares about slips but the artwork on that one is great and the disc sleeve itself is pretty awful.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The new Cinematographe release is Red Rock West

The final Daily Deals are all $20 4Ks:
Madman
The Werewolf vs Vampire Woman
Terminal Island
The Beastmaster
Ebola Syndrome
The Amityville Horror original
Prospect
Awaken
Out of Order

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Umbrella released a version of it for Aus/NZ last month too. Umbrella has been doing a lot of these sorts of releases in the last year or so.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Rock-West-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray/345439/

Comes in a rigid case, with custom art work , 48p book with essays about the film, art cards, and a poster.

The blu-ray itself has a commentary by John Dahl, Rick Dahl and Scott Chestnut, and one by Nathaniel Thompson from Mondo Digital
A video essay about John Dahl.
Interviews with John Dahl and Scott Chestnut
A discussion about Nicolas Cage's performance
A John Dahl trailer reel (which is apparently a brand new feature)
A trailer for the film

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

My Arrow Coffin Joe set shipped. Already calling it that this will be in everyone's top five releases of 2024.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

The final Daily Deals are all $20 4Ks:
Madman
The Werewolf vs Vampire Woman
Terminal Island
The Beastmaster
Ebola Syndrome
The Amityville Horror original
Prospect
Awaken
Out of Order

If you like Hammer horror I’d big time recommend Werewolf vs Vampire Woman, it’s not exactly high art but it IS a pretty little monster movie with no shortage of gothic atmosphere. The VS release is a huge upgrade from the prints I’d seen back in the 90s too. I’ve heard good things about Terminal Island and seems very very up my alley so I think I’m gonna grab it to close out this sale.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Terminal Island is good. I'll also recommend Out of Order.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In case anyone else was wondering, I had my VSCRAPS shipping email from VS on 12/22 but hadn’t gotten anything and the tracking was coming up invalid still. I reported it on site and the guy came back saying they’re mainly going out this week and won’t be tracked as they’re just going regular mail. Gonna guess the email was a mistake. To be honest, I’d completely forgotten anyway.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
My shipping email from 12/22 also had an invalid tracking number but my slip delivered on Friday.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Yeah i sent an email earlier this week and they told me the same thing. It arrived Saturday. Pretty cool slip! I now have two of these goofy things. At least they don't take up any space.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4044716

reviving this old thread of mine. in short, take 20% off all the prices listed in the first post, and willing to negotiate on a price for orders with multiple items!

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I watched my Kino Touchez Pas au Grisbi last night. Amazing blind buy. One of the bonuses is this weird, wonderful short interview (?) with Jeanne Moreau: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DezVNHTCgCw

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Have the uhd's for Cameron's movies gone up for pre order yet? I thought they did during the initial announcement but I'm not seeing anything.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Kingtheninja posted:

Have the uhd's for Cameron's movies gone up for pre order yet? I thought they did during the initial announcement but I'm not seeing anything.

I don't believe so, although I think it was SKUs that helped leak that all 3 were being bumped to 4K, right?

I wouldn't pre-order though. After seeing the touch-ups on stuff, I might only grab Aliens because of my dedication to the series. I'll probably rent the digital copies to see what's what.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
They only released the 4k's on streaming and the blu-rays were not coming out until march.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
UHD release for Major League was announced for April. Looking forward to that one, I always watch some baseball movies around the start of each new season and Major League is one of my favorites.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Basebf555 posted:

UHD release for Major League was announced for April. Looking forward to that one, I always watch some baseball movies around the start of each new season and Major League is one of my favorites.

Some of the worst cover art you'll ever see.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1744828971445837971

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

it is god awful. if cover art was the indicator of what was on the disc we should all be very scared, but hopefully it'll be alright.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Also, half off Arrow stuff at Barnes and Noble. It's off of MSRP not street pricing so more like 30%? 4Ks for 25-30$.

Now to whittle down my 335$ cart. Or not? :getin:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'll go with the steelbook because at least the lockers are like a featured setting in the movie, a lot of scenes take place in that area. It's at least better than a close up of the back of Charlie Sheen's head.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I am a weak man and just bought everything.

Tremors 2
Carlito's Way
The Warriors
The Conan Chronicles
Both Gamera Sets
Daimajin Trilogy
Female Prisoner Scorpion Collection

Lil retail therapy for the bone I busted in my hand over the weekend.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I decided to get that Female Prisoner Scorpion collection after your post. But went to Amazon where it was significantly cheaper.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

You found it cheaper than 50? Was like 59$ when I checked before ordering.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is that major league cover art ai generated?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

esperantinc posted:

You found it cheaper than 50? Was like 59$ when I checked before ordering.

Oh, I was looking at the Arrow site which had it listed for $70, Amazon was probably doing a B&N price match, then.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Arrow’s Inside the Mind of Coffin Joe boxset is back down to a more digestible $76.99 on Amazon. It’s been stuck at list price of $139.95 for about three weeks. Releases January 16!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Grabbed Blackhat and True Romance UHDs