Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They were economic and critical success at the time of their release. The ability to prove something depends on your standard of proof. If your standard of proof is “more likely than not” then it seems to me there is more evidence that “normies” liked the movies than not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Glottis posted:

I think it'll probably do well but not be very good

I actually think it's more likely to be a good movie than to do well at the box office... Haven't we proven that you can't build movies off of TV Show characters and have them do well?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anybody plugged in enough to survey intelligibly about the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy was also plugged in enough to be influenced by the highly motivated tastemakers trying to push a narrative or counter-narrative. The normies are invisible. We can rely on but two things: merch sales, and our own intelligence as movie-looker-atters.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

mycot posted:

This is kind of a silly conversation because it's basically impossible to "prove" but I do not think normies liked the prequel trilogy no.

Like the prior description of someone who watched all three movies while disliking all of them describes my literal boomer dad to a t.

It also describes mine, except he liked them!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

for the prequel trilogy, The Phantom Menace made a lot of money, because how could it not? Attack of the Clones made *substantially* less money, like 30-40% less; a lot of people weren't that impressed with TPM and this is how it shows.

i think ROTS made more money than AOTC, but it got substantial word of mouth about 'finally the prequels are good'.

the sequel trilogy in contrast is just huge falls in box office take from movie to movie. Of the Disney era I think Solo was the biggest bomb though which is why we don't get any more A Star Wars Stories.

Even when you adjust for inflation, TFA is still the #11 top grossing film of all time. TPM is #19. Granted, TFA falls into the same "how could it not?" category you say TPM does, but TFA was a massively successful movie.

When you adjust for inflation and compare the PT to the ST, you get:

TPM: #19
AOTC: #100
ROTS: #70

TFA: #11
TLJ: #44
TROS: #88

I'd say the trilogies themselves are pretty comparable, but the sequel trilogy has a better average (mostly due to AOTC dragging the PT's average down). Though yes, Solo is clearly the loser here, it doesn't even make the list.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 10, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think ticket prices have increased faster than inflation ?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

I think ticket prices have increased faster than inflation ?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2019

Sorry, the list I was posting from was using 2019 ticket prices (the year TROS came out), so it's based on amount of tickets sold, not straight inflation numbers.

quote:

https://help.imdb.com/article/imdbpro/industry-research/box-office-mojo-by-imdbpro-faq/GCWTV4MQKGWRAUAP?ref_=mojo_cso_md#inflation
The "Top Lifetime Adjusted Grosses" chart adjusts for ticket price inflation using estimated number of tickets sold. This is a helpful tool for converting box office earnings into a standard unit of measurement to better judge a movie's popularity and compare it to other movies released years or decades apart.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 10, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s all very confusing anyway due to 3d and Luxury seats (one actual good thing about movies these days)

Oh well I think these data show normies liked the movies

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

It’s all very confusing anyway due to 3d and Luxury seats (one actual good thing about movies these days)

Oh well I think these data show normies liked the movies

I know Attack of the Clones had Digital Projection screenings as well, because I saw it once on one (for my second viewing at a theater kinda far away), and I can't remember, but I think that was more expensive, too?

2002 was weird.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Prequels are basically exactly like the Macarena. Of course everyone rightfully mocks it now and there's plenty of people who will gleefully tell you how they hated it right from the start but it's also undeniable that at that moment in pop culture it was loving everywhere and everyone was doing it, which means statistically at least half of the people bragging about how cool they were for never liking it were probably learning it with their friends and siblings like everyone else.

Not me tho, I was always extremely cool, I spit in my mothers face when she tried to teach me the Macarena and I also walked out of the Phantom Menace at age 14 because of the principal of the thing!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The prequels gave us Episode 1: Racer, its cultural legacy is assured

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Guy A. Person posted:

The Prequels are basically exactly like the Macarena. Of course everyone rightfully mocks it now and there's plenty of people who will gleefully tell you how they hated it right from the start but it's also undeniable that at that moment in pop culture it was loving everywhere and everyone was doing it, which means statistically at least half of the people bragging about how cool they were for never liking it were probably learning it with their friends and siblings like everyone else.
They're not really analogous because millions of people weren't forced to go to the theatre and watch the prequel movies with their jaws clenched in rage the whole time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Halloween Jack posted:

They're not really analogous because millions of people weren't forced to go to the theatre and watch the prequel movies with their jaws clenched in rage the whole time.

Tbf if you were a millenial child you probably actually were by your parents, though that's probably the demographic least inclined to raging over them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

it's directly analogous because all the people insisting they were just doing this begrudgingly while fighting back tears of rage were probably just having fun, and are just embarrassed by that fact in retrospect

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I saw Episode 2 as a kid and it was the first movie I saw where I thought "I'm bored"

The real value in the prequels were that the Lego sets ruled

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You saw all the lame joke criticisms because so many people were going into theatres, engaging with the films, and getting really invested in the narrative. “Why is Anakin so weird and awkward? Can’t he see what he’s doing is bad???”

A movie with an actual bad reputation is, like, Solo A Star Wars Story - where it came out to negative hype, nobody cares about the story, and it’s already nearly forgotten.

I think it’s a mistake to split Disney Starwars into ‘eras’, because it’s not the setting that’s at fault. What we actually have are multiple thematically-distinct sub-continuities that crisscross the whole thing in bizarre ways as they attempt various tactics to sequelize the Lucas Star Wars.

Continuity 1: Solo + Episode 7 + Episode 9

This is the Star Wars soft reboot. Breezy, fun (“look at how fun this is! Are you having fun???”), Han Solo fixated, capital-M Mythological, self-consciously ‘absurd’. Amped-up and pointless.

Continuity 2: Obiwan Show + Episode 8.

This is regressive, calcified Star Wars. Didactic, important, fake whimsy. Bad politics. “Today we’re going to learn about the original ‘rap star’, William Shakespeare.” Star Wars as Institution.

Continuity 3: Andor + Most of Rogue One

Post-Starwars. Next level.

Continuity 4: The actually-good half of Manderlorian + The rest of Rogue One

The real Star Wars sequels, properly synthesizing “OT” and prequels. Pulp action, weird subtext, Bryce Dallas-Howard. Now this is podracing!

The actually-good half of Manderlorian is why I can’t dismiss the “pre-sequel” era. We’ve already got authentic leftism in Andor, so why not depict the Star Wars post-war as a circle back to The Phantom Menace’s hosed politics with a new perspective? The absence of Palpatine is crucial; without Palpatine, you just have Menace.

Continuity 5: Ashoka Show + Boba Show + The bad half of Manderlorian.

Galaxy’s Edge: The At-Home Experience.

Rogue one, Andor and The first two seasons of Mandalorian are the only Disney stuff that feels authentic to the original trilogy

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I was active on a lot of sci-fi forums when the prequels were coming out and I think people need to remember how much different the Internet was before social media and smartphones: it was all nerds! People thought the prequels were fine or you were a nerd who didn't like that Anakin was whiny or, more common, didn't like that the clones were all CGI, that turbolasers fired like Age of Sail cannons, or Yoda had a lightsaber, the ICS, etc. SMG is right -- people were invested in the narrative but didn't like the choices. Meanwhile, the sequels...

It probably helps, too, that the prequels had great video games and cartoons that meant fans could find something to like about the era even if they didn't think the films were great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Revenge of the sith is legitimately good. Like objectively. It’s also pure “Star Wars” afaict and like I don’t even understand how Star Wars fans don’t like it. I understand some of the complaints about 1.

2 is maybe a perfect movie but I understand the confusion about it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you can't appreciate Dracula getting killed by a laser cross, you're no fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

that was so cool.

It’s funny too because I was so locked into the spoilers leaking I knew the whole movie so when I snagged the count dooku figure I grabbed that head and sure enough popped off like it was made too. Arms too lol

Hidden battle damage feature

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
The reception to the prequels might have been, lets say mixed, but if you weren't on the net at the time you would have missed the rampant theory crafting and speculation between movies, which tells me nerds were interested.

Things like after TPM but before AotC some people saying it was too obvious that Palpatine was the emperor and it was a secret twin/clone situation or that the reason Naboo was important was they had the cloning facilities, that plant Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Maul fight in must power it, it's too big to just power the palace etc etc.

This, like all fan theory crafting, is of course nonsense but it shows people were bought in.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

garycoleisgod posted:

The reception to the prequels might have been, lets say mixed, but if you weren't on the net at the time you would have missed the rampant theory crafting and speculation between movies, which tells me nerds were interested.

Things like after TPM but before AotC some people saying it was too obvious that Palpatine was the emperor and it was a secret twin/clone situation or that the reason Naboo was important was they had the cloning facilities, that plant Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Maul fight in must power it, it's too big to just power the palace etc etc.

This, like all fan theory crafting, is of course nonsense but it shows people were bought in.

I'm not going to weigh in on the "were the prequels liked or hated at the time" debate, because it's just so tired at this point. But of course nerds online were debating them. The prequels were the only official canon content we had from Lucas himself since 1983 (aside from the rare occasion he weighed in on the EU). We were feeding ourselves with EU content for 16 years at that point. Actual movies made by Lucas himself? It literally didn't matter how bad they were, we were going to dissect every second of them. I don't think "nerds online theory crafting" is a good barometer to use for if they were well received. We were rats scrapping for crumbs.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
It's impossible to determine whether or not the prequels were well-received at the time. If you were a child when they came out then your point of view and engagement with media was too limited to your immediate friend group and experiences will skew wildly from person to person. If you were an adult when they came out then your brain is too addled from leaded gas to remember clearly and your judgment can't be trusted.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

garycoleisgod posted:

"This Star Wars contraption feels too big for its alleged purpose" being an actual argument is delightful.

Skrill.exe posted:

It's impossible to determine whether or not the prequels were well-received at the time. If you were a child when they came out then your point of view and engagement with media was too limited to your immediate friend group and experiences will skew wildly from person to person. If you were an adult when they came out then your brain is too addled from leaded gas to remember clearly and your judgment can't be trusted.

Also if you grew up in that era it's all part of Star Wars anyway. It usually takes a while for kids to start having opinions on which material constitutes Good Star Wars and Bad Star Wars.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

90sgamer posted:

Rogue one, Andor and The first two seasons of Mandalorian are the only Disney stuff that feels authentic to the original trilogy

And one episode of Ahsoka, the one where they meet the shell people. That was legit old school.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It is not impossible to determine if they were well received. I have already done so.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Nerds at the time bitched about the prequels but still saw them several times over in theaters. Only the real grouses completely wrote them off. Everyone else pretty much agreed that they were, for lack of a better word, canon. If nothing else they were, for the majority of people, legitimate entries to a larger story, whether they ‘liked’ them or not.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Excuse me I only saw TPM 10.5 times in the theaters before realizing I didn't like it anymore and walking out

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think whatever else you can say about the prequels, they in broad strokes were fine for the setting. It all fit together, and gave the setting more material to work with that largely made sense.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably the most obvious problem setting wise was the only 1 million clones thing. Which was really not so bad by modern JJ standards I suppose

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

garycoleisgod posted:

Naboo is going to be devastated by the Clone Wars and become Dagobah. Proof: Both of them have a lot of water.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really wish someone could drag out the SA threads from between movies. I think last time someone went digging the earliest they could find was still post-ROTS. I know some rumor sites were archived, but I wanna see what us idiots were talking about

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

No Mods No Masters posted:

Probably the most obvious problem setting wise was the only 1 million clones thing. Which was really not so bad by modern JJ standards I suppose

The most obvious problem was all the Jedi dressed like moisture farmers. They don't live on Tatooine! Makes no sense at all

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found some threads

Don’t know what’s in em bht they had pages so here lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1562608

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1564873

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can probably still read the Usenet posts

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's laughable they expect me to believe that a member of a religious order would wear robes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"So I hit up the local video store"

XXX with "Vin Diesal"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh my God lol

Yahtzee posted:

Bah I'm too cool for this debate. I'm going to go have sex with a girl.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

The most obvious problem was all the Jedi dressed like moisture farmers. They don't live on Tatooine! Makes no sense at all

I think it's pretty fair to not really like the extent to which the prequels decided the jedi were basically completely monks and not really knights at all, but it's so fundamental to the premise I guess I don't really consider it a setting problem. I guess it's kind of just transposing lucas's branding savvy from the real world onto the organization in the fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Moisture farmers are just incredible poseurs and no one likes them.

On other planets they're dressed as puckish rogues